SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

Jay wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

FORRRR SURRRRE

because we aren't a bunch of fucking scum, that's why
He's equating mimicry of the generic Midwestern accent all the tv people learn to use with being part of a high social class
This has nothing to do with sounding like people on television. As if everyone on television sounds the same.

You are just upset that people think your inability to use R's is a sign of a poor upbringing.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6603|949

i don't think it's a sign of poor upbringing, but i do think it says "blue collar".  Not that there's anything wrong with that.  I slide in and out of proper english when I speak all the time.  I don't think there's anything wrong with that.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

it does sound low class, that much is true.

also, calling anyone a "basic white girl" or "basic bitch" sounds ghetto too.  It's what suburban people do to sound like they're hip.  I imagine Miley Cyrus claiming she isn't one.
Thank you for agreeing, Ken.

I did just have to Google what a 'basic bitch' and saw what it meant on Urban Dictionary.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5329|London, England

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

it does sound low class, that much is true.
Because Hollywood always gives accented parts to morons.

The Departed: the only person with a strong Boston accent is mark Wahlberg's cop character and Leo when he's undercover. They even reference him being two people based on his accent.

My cousin vinny: dumb Italians with accents

Every mob movie does the same

American Gangster: the only person with an accent is working class cop Russell Crowe.

Southern accents are always employed by Joe dirt type rednecks. See also: dumb Brad Pitt character in inglorious basterds

Hollywood created this myth. Don't perpetuate their stupidity by hunting into it.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

FORRRR SURRRRE

because we aren't a bunch of fucking scum, that's why
He's equating mimicry of the generic Midwestern accent all the tv people learn to use with being part of a high social class
This has nothing to do with sounding like people on television. As if everyone on television sounds the same.

You are just upset that people think your inability to use R's is a sign of a poor upbringing.
I sound like I'm from the Midwest. I wish I had a real accent instead of this concocted silliness.

I can put on accents and mimic Georgia or Texas or Long Island because I've lived there, and I tend to do it when I talk to people from those places if they have a thick accent, but my own is generic and boring.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Steve-0
Karma limited. Contact Admin to Be Promoted.
+214|3930|SL,UT

what is this?

i've heard plenty of you on TS, and now that you've grown older you*re trying to justify the way you talk?

is that it?

communication is a basic human necessity, and some have devoted their life to it. communication is not a point of finding differences, it's a point of finding common ground. when i went to Japan i am sure that i was seen as 'gaijin', but i do know that the residents appreciated my tone and inflection.

which i will say really sucked for some of the membership of this forum as they tried to communicate with this 'Merican on Dauntless TS server.

. . .
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
What do Midwestern people even sound like and how did they colonize our vocal cords with television? I imagine people in the mid-west sound
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
-Frederick Bastiat
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6593|Little Bentcock
I don't pronounce my Rs.

I am better for it.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

What do Midwestern people even sound like and how did they colonize our vocal cords with television? I imagine people in the mid-west sound
[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTmW0ROcL08[/url]
That's north Dakota/Minnesota. Different animal.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

Jay wrote:

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2013/08/the-rise-and-fall-of-katharine-hepburns-fake-accent/278505/
Can you post the section specifically about pronouncing R's? Your staunch defense of not pronouncing them leads me to believe you don't use them.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2013/08/the-rise-and-fall-of-katharine-hepburns-fake-accent/278505/
Can you post the section specifically about pronouncing R's? Your staunch defense of not pronouncing them leads me to believe you don't use them.
My staunch defense is against you believing you're superior to anyone on any topic, but especially on something as silly as accent. You calling people low class based on their accent is laughable.
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

My staunch defense is against you believing you're superior to anyone on any topic, but especially on something as silly as accent. You calling people low class based on their accent is laughable.
I didn't know you cared that much about me.

Ken agreed, not pronouncing your R's is a low class way of speaking. Only blacks and working class whites in a handful of poor places do it. Empirical data has shown it.

You don't have to be ashamed that you mispronounce the same words as Louisiana trailer park trash or the blacks in Harlem.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Ken agreed, not pronouncing your R's is a low class way of speaking. Only blacks and working class whites in a handful of poor places do it. Empirical data has shown it.

You don't have to be ashamed that you mispronounce the same words as Louisiana trailer park trash or the blacks in Harlem.
I pronounce my R's, child, but I'd rather have a nice thick New York City accent.

You really shouldn't hate on black people you know. You're dark skinned rican. Exactly what do you think your racial makeup is? Pure Catalonian?
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

I pronounce my R's, child, but I'd rather have a nice thick New York City accent.

You really shouldn't hate on black people you know. You're dark skinned rican. Exactly what do you think your racial makeup is? Pure Catalonian?
You don't pronounce your R's. That is why you got so offended when I said it was low class. Wasting all your time defending what you called "Yankee Coastal". Sure, you speak like a mid-westerner. Straight out of Fargo.

Playing the race card I see. Typical.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

You don't pronounce your R's. That is why you got so offended when I said it was low class. Wasting all your time defending what you called "Yankee Coastal". Sure, you speak like a mid-westerner. Straight out of Fargo.

Playing the race card I see. Typical.
I defended the accents because I like accents and don't want to see them go away. I would be sad if everyone thought like you and worked to modify their speech to conform to General American.

Yankee Coastal is the accent that made this country wealthy. Southie Boston, Connecticut Yankee, Mainer and upper class lockjaw. Pronouncing Worcester as Woostah, Gloucester as Gloustah, and New York as New Yawk for centuries.
-Frederick Bastiat
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
And here I thought British people were the only ones who go on and on about accents.
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6444|6 6 4 oh, I forget

Hunting wabbit?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6603|949

"Yankee Coastal is the accent that made this country wealthy".  That's probably the dumbest thing I've read today.  Then again, the day is still early...
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I am pretty sure the country was made great by the speakers of Colonial Virginian.

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2015-09-15 12:55:51)

mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6625

Jesus fuck. I make one little off-hand comment and looks what it's generated. Then again, this is bf2s so why am I surprised.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6713|London

make another off-hand comment matt!
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6603|949

Dauntless wrote: