SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3721

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I forget I am not 19 anymore. Most of us here are like 26? We are old enough to remember the Bush years and how crazy it was last time republicans were in power. These 20 year old kids only remember the Obama years and don't realize how much things have changed under democrats.

So it seems funny to get behind Trump and play dress up with as nazis but once their college tuition goes up because republicans destroyed the department of education, it is not going to be a game to them. It will be even worse for them when trump follows through with basically none of the white supremacist stuff they want.
If the subsidies go away colleges will be forced to lower tuition. Amazingsauce
A lot of them would just close too. Colleges need subsidies.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6682|Disaster Free Zone

DesertFox- wrote:

The only people under 40 I know supporting Trump are from little BFE towns in the Midwest, that is to say, tiny, white bubbles surrounded by corn. I am unsure if demographic breakdowns of votes have come out yet this election, but I expect there will be an age gap as well as the education gap.
I think you'll find the 18-30s just didn't vote.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5359|London, England

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I forget I am not 19 anymore. Most of us here are like 26? We are old enough to remember the Bush years and how crazy it was last time republicans were in power. These 20 year old kids only remember the Obama years and don't realize how much things have changed under democrats.

So it seems funny to get behind Trump and play dress up with as nazis but once their college tuition goes up because republicans destroyed the department of education, it is not going to be a game to them. It will be even worse for them when trump follows through with basically none of the white supremacist stuff they want.
No, they just need to cut all the superfluous administrative positions they've staffed during this bubble.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3721
Such a cliche
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

this is what happens when loser white lower-middle class males don't want to deal with the structural shifts occasioned in western society by capitalism exporting their jobs to an asian middle-class and instead sit on the internet festering.
That's my whole life in one sentence.

Edit: Also your punctuation sucks.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2016-11-23 01:02:26)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3453
that sentence is grammatically fine. i could have used a comma on the adjectival phrase 'loser, white lower-middle class' because they are technically coordinate and not cumulative, but other than that it doesn't need any more punctuation.

are you really going to try and tell an editor how to punctuate?

Last edited by uziq (2016-11-23 02:32:28)

coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6710|England. Stoke

War Man wrote:

coke wrote:

Shahter wrote:

looses the electoral college
Really? Going Spelling Ukrainian on him? Kind of low man.
Not really, virtually everyone on the internet native English speaker or not seems unable to distinguish between the words lose and loose.
So not being "kind of low man", I know English is not is first language, and wouldn't have said anything normally it's just I get annoyed by this particular spelling error.

Also your attempt at a "joke" is "kind of low man", as in it's shit.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

No, they just need to cut all the superfluous administrative positions they've staffed during this bubble.
who likes facts? I like facts! this paper by the NBER is a very informative read.  It's 60 pages but it's not TOO difficult to get through.  Some key points (bolding mine):

From 1987 to 2010, sticker price tuition and fees ballooned from $6,600 to $14,500 in 2010 dollars. After subtracting institutional aid, net tuition and fees still grew by 78%, from $5,790 to $10,290. To provide perspective, had net tuition risen at the rate of much maligned healthcare costs, tuition would have only reached about $8,700 in 2010.
Overall education spending has GONE DOWN on a per student basis, mostly because of the increase in attendees-

state and local funding for higher education fell from $8,200 per full-time-equivalent (FTE) student in 1987 to $7,300 in 2010, all while underlying costs and expenditures were rising. Several studies, including a notable study commissioned by Congress in the 1998 re-authorization of the Higher Education Act, attribute a sizable fraction of the increase in public university tuition to these state funding cuts.
So although overall Education spending has risen, more people attending college means the ratio of funding:student has gone down. Interest rates for student loans have also fallen, making it more attractive (which bolsters the point above).

Also, non-tuition costs have risen by over 50% since 1987-
we also cast light on the tuition impact of the 53% rise in non-tuition costs (such as those arising from the greater provision of student amenities), which has the effect of increasing subsidized loan eligibility.
It's not just administrative costs that are increasing - loans are covering more student amenities, and those amenities are increasing in cost, which leads to overall costs being higher.

Here's the summary:

1. The combined effect of the aforementioned shocks generates a 106% increase in equilibrium tuition. This result compares to a 78% increase in the data.

2. The rise in the college earnings premium alone causes tuition to increase by 24%. With all other shocks present except the college premium hike, tuition increases by 87%.

3. The demand-side shocks by themselves cause tuition to jump by 102%. With all other changes except the demand-side shocks, tuition only increases by 16%.

4. The supply-side shocks by themselves cause tuition to decline by 6%. With all other changes except the supply-side shocks, tuition increases by 122%.
I was genuinely intrigued by the question "what is the major cause of college tuition hikes" so I looked into it.  It looks to be complicated, but generally speaking, admin costs are not a key contributing factor.
uziq
+492|3453
jay likes subscribing to the idea that all those expensive ivy league colleges are just full of bloated admins and overpaid communists and that, by extension, everyone who goes to them and pays top hock for an 'elite' education is really just a credulous fool. it helps his own life narration. of course he's going to be impervious to facts.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3721

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

who likes facts? I like facts! this paper by the NBER is a very informative read.  It's 60 pages but it's not TOO difficult to get through.  Some key points (bolding mine):

From 1987 to 2010, sticker price tuition and fees ballooned from $6,600 to $14,500 in 2010 dollars. After subtracting institutional aid, net tuition and fees still grew by 78%, from $5,790 to $10,290. To provide perspective, had net tuition risen at the rate of much maligned healthcare costs, tuition would have only reached about $8,700 in 2010.
Overall education spending has GONE DOWN on a per student basis, mostly because of the increase in attendees-

state and local funding for higher education fell from $8,200 per full-time-equivalent (FTE) student in 1987 to $7,300 in 2010, all while underlying costs and expenditures were rising. Several studies, including a notable study commissioned by Congress in the 1998 re-authorization of the Higher Education Act, attribute a sizable fraction of the increase in public university tuition to these state funding cuts.
So although overall Education spending has risen, more people attending college means the ratio of funding:student has gone down. Interest rates for student loans have also fallen, making it more attractive (which bolsters the point above).

we also cast light on the tuition impact of the 53% rise in non-tuition costs (such as those arising from the greater provision of student amenities), which has the effect of increasing subsidized loan eligibility.
It's not just administrative costs that are increasing - loans are covering more student amenities, and those amenities are increasing in cost, which leads to overall costs being higher.

Here's the summary:

1. The combined effect of the aforementioned shocks generates a 106% increase in equilibrium tuition. This result compares to a 78% increase in the data.

2. The rise in the college earnings premium alone causes tuition to increase by 24%. With all other shocks present except the college premium hike, tuition increases by 87%.

3. The demand-side shocks by themselves cause tuition to jump by 102%. With all other changes except the demand-side shocks, tuition only increases by 16%.

4. The supply-side shocks by themselves cause tuition to decline by 6%. With all other changes except the supply-side shocks, tuition increases by 122%.
I was genuinely intrigued by the question "what is the major cause of college tuition hikes" so I looked into it.  It looks to be complicated, but generally speaking, admin costs are not a key contributing factor.
You should also note that the overwhelming majority of college sports programs lose money. A few major schools like Penn State make money on football but small schools like Montclair State University in NJ don't need football stadiums or make any money off women's swimming. Those things have some value and it doesn't seem bad if it is just relegated to the flagship universities. But smaller schools need to be better regulated on how they spend their money. Especially state schools.
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6715|Purplicious Wisconsin
Cutting off women's sports? YOU SEXIST BASTARD!!!
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3721
We could replace it with expanded female ROTC and all women's units.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
University sports are a good thing - not the way America does them obviously - they encourage various things, fitness, focus, teamwork, organisation, competition etc.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6738|Oxferd Ohire
club sports are a thing
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6682|Disaster Free Zone
That's exactly what university sports are (outside America).
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Here's the summary:

I said in a previous post something like "replacing non-obsolete buildings" I think it was in my anti-non profit rant. Anyway, yes, I know it's not just administrators. it was a flip response.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

DrunkFace wrote:

That's exactly what university sports are (outside America).
And still should be. The NCAA should be abolished.
-Frederick Bastiat
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6715|Purplicious Wisconsin

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Why?
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3721

War Man wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Why?
Why do you hate women?

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2016-11-24 13:05:42)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3721
anyway

Green Party officials filed Friday for a recount in Wisconsin, following reports of voting discrepancies, and were seeking a deeper investigation into the election results, which handed the state to Donald Trump two weeks ago.

Wisconsin Green Party co-chairman George Martin said that they were seeking a "reconciliation of paper records" -- a request that would go one step further than a simple recount, spurring, he said, an investigation into the integrity of the state's voting system.
"This is a process, a first step to examine whether our electoral democracy is working," Martin said.

The announcement came as Green Party candidate Jill Stein's Thanksgiving fundraising blitz passed $5 million. The money is well beyond the $2 million mark the Green Party initially set, and Wisconsin party officials said that any additional money not used for the recount would be used to train Green Party candidates for local office. The goal as of Friday was to raise $7 million.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/25/politics/ … l?adkey=bn
This will go nowhere and the green party is just trying to get attention. It is funny though that crazy Jill Stein is now working on recounts that could theoretically get Clinton elected even though Stein spent the whole election criticizing Clinton.

How does everyone feel about the green party anyway? If the U.S. had ranked voting or a proportional system I would vote for the green party even though they are pretty naive when it comes to national security. i would not have voted for crazy jill stein though.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Bunch of dumb fucking anti science hippies
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Greens in Aus are Marxists and gay activists who have latched onto a bandwagon.

I'd vote for 'green' policies, but not this lot.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3721

Dilbert_X wrote:

Greens in Aus are Marxists and gay activists who have latched onto a bandwagon.

I'd vote for 'green' policies, but not this lot.
Yeah, solar panels are cool. The lady from the green party ran on the idea of a new "Green" Deal. Basically government would create a bunch of jobs by paying people to make solar panels, insulate homes, get into local and urban farming etc.

I liked that idea a lot.
uziq
+492|3453
the greens in the uk are equally hopeless which is a shame cause you'd think it's not that hard to make a compelling argument for it nowadays. but rather than making practicable demands they go full patchouli.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Yes, tt wouldn't be too hard to make some relatively mild changes which would at least have some impact, but no, they want everyone to knit their own food.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard