Grasmaaier
Post limited. Contact Admin to Be Promoted.
+0|3214
In the end though it should be stressed that individual effort and creativity is what's most important. Going to one of the top 100 unis in the world certainly helps. It's a good learning environment and a healthy experience - though it won't, nor should it be, the defining moment for one's life or career.

Not always though. It concerns me in that sense that an institution's prestige is (particularly in the United States it seems) in some cases an automatic guarantee for a bright future (I'm looking at you, Yale/Harvard). These institutions seem to be home to and form a sort of aristocratic/royal class that is completely uncharacteristic of what is supposed to be a meritocratic society.

Which brings me to the topic of this thread. Clinton vs Bush, lol. Regardless of which one wins it'll be as though royal dynasty has been ruling the US for the last 40 years. Bush Clinton Bush (Obama) Clinton/Bush.

Last edited by Grasmaaier (2015-07-15 10:37:28)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719
What was your old account?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Grasmaaier
Post limited. Contact Admin to Be Promoted.
+0|3214
shocking, didn't remember either the email or the pass so made a new one

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

he was the guy studying for his chemical engineering degree who then shifted to something else, if i'm not mistaken.
I'm a history grad, I did do CE for a little while like 5 years ago.

Time flies.

Reminds me of how much of an idiot I was back then

Last edited by Grasmaaier (2015-07-15 11:22:55)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6631|949

he was the guy studying for his chemical engineering degree who then shifted to something else, if i'm not mistaken.

I can only remember 1 lecture hall class i had...it was a film study class where we watched the shittiest movies possible by renowned actors and directors.  I only took it because it sounded easy and I could smoke herb before going.

Actually that's a lie.  I think I had a comparative govt. class that was like 200 students too.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6323|Graz, Austria
You try really hard to not make Chuy shut down the forum, do you?
4 pages of posts in 24 hours... Is it 2009 again?
uziq
+492|3451
we had to all remind jay what a terrible low-class education he's had one last time, for all time's sake
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5357|London, England

uziq wrote:

we had to all remind jay what a terrible low-class education he's had one last time, for all time's sake
Lol. I'm successful, happy, and love my family. I liked my college, I learned a lot. Isn't that the point?

As for you, you're the bougiest person I've ever encountered. Every bit of your persona is finely calculated. You must say to yourself "what does this book say about me?" before posting it to goodreads or "what music would a cool kid claim to like?" before attending a show or "what does my choice of keyboard say about my taste?". It would be impressive if it wasn't so fucking pathetic. You are a curator, not a real human being. I feel sorry for you. Your stunning lack of courage and creativity oozes out of every pore. I guarantee you fear being embarrassed more than any teenage girl.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

Lol. I'm successful, happy, and love my family. I liked my college, I learned a lot. Isn't that the point?

As for you, you're the bougiest person I've ever encountered. Every bit of your persona is finely calculated. You must say to yourself "what does this book say about me?" before posting it to goodreads or "what music would a cool kid claim to like?" before attending a show or "what does my choice of keyboard say about my taste?". It would be impressive if it wasn't so fucking pathetic. You are a curator, not a real human being. I feel sorry for you. Your stunning lack of courage and creativity oozes out of every pore. I guarantee you fear being embarrassed more than any teenage girl.
You named yourself John Galt and spent years marketing yourself as a libertarian self made man who never took a handout from anyone. Then you changed your name once even the nerds like Flaming Maniac started making fun of you. You made being a libertarian part of your identity. You project so hard.

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2015-07-15 18:56:33)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715
and mac portrayed himself as a creepy serial killer of asian women!
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6736|Oxferd Ohire
true detective season 3
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
uziq
+492|3451

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

most listened to music in last year: messiaen
recently read books from goodreads: yeats' irish myth poems, a book about a country doctor, a biography.
keyboard(?): a laptop keyboard.

I feel like I'm talking to dilbert on a hipster rant here... these are not the cutting-edge things that cool kids listen to. I'm 25. I'm not even in the cool race anymore. I don't hang around with 18 or 22 year olds who obsess over their image.

I think what has always bothered you about me is that I have culture and taste and didn't have to shimmy up a dirty, oiled pole to get there. there's nothing worse than a vulgarian. I pissed you off because I had the nice things in life, mingled in the cool circles, dated the beautiful girls, won the great lottery of life... and you had to listen to other dudes beat off in their bunks in a giant sandpit, just so you could attend a shitter than shit college. and now you have a gross wife and a ball and chain kid... the anger just keeps bubbling out of you.

it makes me strooooooonger

Last edited by uziq (2015-07-16 00:40:25)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

You named yourself John Galt and spent years marketing yourself as a libertarian self made man who never took a handout from anyone. Then you changed your name once even the nerds like Flaming Maniac started making fun of you. You made being a libertarian part of your identity. You project so hard.
I changed my name because the fixation on it was annoying and stupid. I've had dozens of online handles and they were all basically picked at random. I used to scroll through my mp3 list and pick out a cool sounding song title and use that. Hell, you think the shit I got for John Galt was bad, I used to use "Winter Kiss" which is a great song but man was it an embarrassment. My cousin still makes fun of me for it. In this case, atlas shrugged was just the last book I read before I started playing bf2.

My political beliefs are part of my identity, but I'm not an objectivist. No one is purely self made, we all get help at some point whether it's from our parents or a mentor. So keep jousting at windmills.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

most listened to music in last year: messiaen
recently read books from goodreads: yeats' irish myth poems, a book about a country doctor, a biography.
keyboard(?): a laptop keyboard.

I feel like I'm talking to dilbert on a hipster rant here... these are not the cutting-edge things that cool kids listen to. I'm 25. I'm not even in the cool race anymore. I don't hang around with 18 or 22 year olds who obsess over their image.

I think what has always bothered you about me is that I have culture and taste and didn't have to shimmy up a dirty, oiled pole to get there. there's nothing worse than a vulgarian. I pissed you off because I had the nice things in life, mingled in the cool circles, dated the beautiful girls, won the great lottery of life... and you had to listen to other dudes beat off in their bunks in a giant sandpit, just so you could attend a shitter than shit college. and now you have a gross wife and a ball and chain kid... the anger just keeps bubbling out of you.

it makes me strooooooonger
I feel sorry for you
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3451
it's tilting at windmills. you'd know this if you had read don quixote. do you even know that's the source? it's a book from Spain. quite old. hipsters in Brooklyn read it.

and sure, you feel sorry for ME. I'm still a young guy free to do what I want. you're going to be an aircon technician for the rest of your life. and soon you won't even have a forum to project your intellectual fantasies on.

Last edited by uziq (2015-07-16 05:48:08)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX
So whats wrong with my hipster rants?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3451
your idea of what exactly a hipster is and what they do and consume is very strange.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715
why can't we all just get along and accept people have different passions in life.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715

uziq wrote:

your idea of what exactly a hipster is and what they do and consume is very strange.
well to be fair dil's local MP is this guy and he's our minister of education

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

A Hipster wrote:

I think you take it all a bit seriously.
uziq
+492|3451

Dilbert_X wrote:

A Hipster wrote:

I think you take it all a bit seriously.
i don't take it seriously at all, because it doesn't concern me and never has. but you rage at 'hipsters' in a way that is incoherent, when you fancy it provocative or 'trolling'. the hipster has changed quite a lot in the last 5 years, but what you berate as 'hipsterdom' on here has never coincided with the actual real-world phenomenon. you arrogate some weird political views to hipsters. it basically ends up being anyone who isn't you.

just like jay will constantly ratiocinate and um and ah to make out that anything that is seemingly better or above him is, in fact, some global conspiracy of bullshit. the awful cognitive dissonance involved in the 'well i did alright so all those top colleges must be pure hype and a rip off' reasoning is a piteous thing to behold.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

it basically ends up being anyone who isn't you.
I think you may have something there.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719
The latest Fox News national poll finds another reshuffling in the race for the 2016 Republican nomination, as Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker gets a post-announcement bump and businessman Donald Trump claims more of the spotlight.
Among Republican primary voters, Trump captures 18 percent. He’s closely followed by Walker at 15 percent and former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush at 14 percent. No one else reaches double-digits.
Trump’s June 16 announcement speech included provocative comments on illegal immigration that people are still talking about a month later, including the suggestion that the Mexican government is sending criminals and rapists to the United States. Whatever the blowback, his views resonate with many: 44 percent of voters think Trump is “basically right” on the issue. A 53-percent majority disagrees.  Among Republican primary voters, 68 percent say he is right.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/07 … migration/

I don't see how Trump supporters think he can win with that rhetoric. I guess it feels good to support a "real conservative" who is a "straight talker" but electoral math just makes it impossible.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6684|United States of America
It is disconcerting how much support he's getting, but hopefull he fizzles out after the debates. Trump is just a massive blowhard who keeps saying "I know how to fix _____" but has literally offered no plan. It's odd that those same Republicans who said we don't know what Hillary stands for are the ones who are rallying behind this cartoon villain.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

DesertFox- wrote:

"I know how to fix _____" but has literally offered no plan.
But that's the whole Republican manifesto right there
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6290|Washington St.
props to the fox news moderators for making them answer the questions they asked instead of just rambling on about what they do well.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard