uziq
+492|3445
the funniest thing is, dilbert tries to make out that korea's energy is all australian coal. coal is actually not korea's main source of energy generation.

https://www.eia.gov/international/content/analysis/countries_long/South_Korea/images/figure1_2020.png

35% of korea's coal comes from australia.

by the usual flukes and accidents of geography/geology, korea has little to no fossil fuel reserves of its own. same as japan. that's unfortunate, and importing LNG from the middle-east is far from ideal in terms of sufficiency and the environment; but what can you do? korea was an undeveloped country less than a lifetime ago. it had a GDP on par with central african nations. korea had to modernise and industrialise, and do so fast.

of course, it goes without saying that korea, like all other industrialised, high-consuming nations, needs to pivot to nuclear and renewables as quickly as possible. it should be a policy priority. on that score, as per the US energy information administration (EIA):

In 2019, the share of nuclear energy consumption rose, while the share of coal consumption fell compared with 2018 levels. Nuclear reactors are beginning to return from extensive maintenance, and the government is restricting some coal-fired generation during winter months to lower air emissions.
it's going in the right direction, in other words. whereas, meanwhile, australia is massively expanding its fossil fuels-related projects and earning censure at COP summits. australia's export economy is fatally addicted to that coal dollar, it seems.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment … -breakdown
Cop26: Australia accused of ‘hiding’ while opposing deal needed to limit catastrophic climate breakdown.

australia has been a developed country for well over a century. it is generations ahead of korea in terms of development and wealth. it has quite literally no excuse for its cynical and self-interested pursuit of fossil fuels and expanding that sector. other rich and developed nations are pledging to leave their fossil fuels reserves in the ground, e.g. denmark.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 … -north-sea
Denmark has brought an immediate end to new oil and gas exploration in the Danish North Sea as part of a plan to phase out fossil fuel extraction by 2050.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment … -emissions
Australia considering more than 100 fossil fuel projects that could produce 5% of global industrial emissions.

so, importantly, how much of australia's national grid is still powered by coal?

https://www.eia.gov/international/content/analysis/countries_long/Australia/images/energy_consumption.png

australia literally relies more on coal than korea. unbelievable stuff. and they've had at least a 50-year headstart on korea when it comes to weaning themselves off this stuff.

you literally can't make it up. a guy sat in a high-consumption suburb, driving a car everywhere, is trying to lecture me about another country's energy profile, when said country relies on coal less than his own nation.

in terms of total coal consumption, korea consumes 1.8% of the global share (between 51 million people), and australia consumes 1.5% (over 25 million people). so i'm effectively being lectured over a 'morally reprehensible' and totally culpable 0.3%. me, with my lifestyle, not driving a car or using any energy-intensive applications.
https://www.worldometers.info/coal/coal … y-country/

dilbert continually tries to portray australia as some green paradise, taking the moral highground and spitting on developing countries, when in reality it is, and has been historically, one of the biggest producers of greenhouse gases in the history of the planet. per capita emissions taken throughout history places australia in an entirely unenviable place near the top of the table. and even today his country derives just as much of its energy from fossil fuels as korea and all the other developing nations he tries to portray as savage backwaters with their pollution-belching 'dark satanic mills'.

remember when dilbert tried to explain this hypocrisy away by claiming that korea didn't have any heavy industry? LMAO.

so funny.

Last edited by uziq (2022-10-07 02:36:58)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712
You guys are all being stupid. Climate change is exaggerated. Burn all the coal and oil there is.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3445
i am not passionate about climate change. i certainly don’t try and guilt trip people about it.

dilbert has been playing this one bum note for two years where apparently i have a huge carbon footprint. or, by being a visitor to a place, i somehow bear responsibility for their national economy and energy grid.

some of the most idiotic stuff i have ever heard.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712
You are destroying the environment to chase Korean women around. Why couldn't you just be normal and build up a number of unprofessional work relationships instead?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6099|eXtreme to the maX
OK, to summarise:

uziq is not responsible for the past and current climate emissions of the country he lives in, all the benefit he gets from living in a city of concrete buildings, his personal energy use which is largely coal powered, all the environs, parks, public services and utilities he enjoys paid for by taxation of carbon emitting industries - not me guv.

Dilbert is responsible for all the past and current emissions of the country he lives in, even though that apparently includes the burning elsewhere of all the coal which has been exported, even though Dilbert lives in a state where half the energy is from renewable resources and which doesn't use or export coal.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3445
i’ve been in korea for 1.5 years. how exactly am i responsible for their energy grid and their concrete pours? lmfao. is this really your argument?

it turns out that for all your ragging on me for living in a country that relies on ‘australian coal’, that your own energy grid relies on coal more. ooops! guess you can quit with this borderline racist trope about asia and india being the dirty polluting nations and you being a perfect ethical consumer.

Last edited by uziq (2022-10-08 20:17:03)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
You're using them?

https://i.imgur.com/SoUnQYv.jpg
uziq
+492|3445
i love how you selectively rely on your state statistics. my guy, your state has the same population as my 5km^2 neighbourhood. it represents 6.5% of the australian population. you’re really going to selectively ignore 94% of the rest of the country and how they get their power? so if i move to a small fishing village on the east coast, with a wind farm nearby, you'll leave me alone about korea's coal-powered stations? hahah, sounds good to me.

your state may have a green grid every second thursday; but it’s also a huge factory farm for cattle. there’s 1 million heads of cattle in your state - a cow for every person, basically. SE south australia alone has 550,000 cattle.

maybe … just maybe … you running your house on green energy a few times a week is somewhat defeated by the methane emissions of your local economy?

australia is dependent on very environmentally damaging exports. you can’t fudge the facts. sad!

i'm sorry dilbert, but this whole climate change lecturing approach you've arbitrarily decided to adopt in the last 2 years is simply a non-starter. you need to get a new argument.

Last edited by uziq (2022-10-08 20:18:31)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
62% of my power is not 'a few times per week'

Beef goes to be eaten by people like you - stop eating beef.

Stop buying coal - then we won't need to export it so slackers like you can keep warm.
uziq
+492|3445
do you want to compare energy bills dilbert? lets compare our kWh usage. go on, post it up. i bet it would make for an entertaining comparison.

do you want to add up your petrol contributions from your vehicle?

it’s honestly amazing to me that a guy living in a country that derives just as much of its national grid from fossil fuels, and yet who lives in a SUBURB and DRIVES TO WORK everyday, is seriously trying to make out that i’m living a highly wasteful lifestyle, rolling coal everyday. i live in a single room apartment and use a kettle once a day, you absolute fucking berk
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I don't live in an overpopulated concrete jungle, for every Dilbert there's about 20 superfluous koreans consuming energy.
uziq
+492|3445

Dilbert_X wrote:

62% of my power is not 'a few times per week'

Beef goes to be eaten by people like you - stop eating beef.

Stop buying coal - then we won't need to export it so slackers like you can keep warm.
i’ve never consumed australian beef. it is inordinately expensive here. i didn’t move to the far east to eat steak and fries, thank you very much.

again with this evasiveness. so i’m responsible for korea’s national profile but you duck behind your local grid? well what’s to say i can’t move to a place that derives none of its power from coal? duh. sorry but it’s just not cricket to hold me responsible for 51 million people whilst you continually deflect from australia’s national stats.

it’s amazing that i’m responsible for all the concrete poured in seoul by the act of walking in the streets and sleeping in a building, apparently, and yet you’re not willing to hear the same argument about your first-world living standards in australia being propped up by the exact same dirtying industries and the same environmentally destructive forms of wealth.

i’ve never claimed to be unimpeachable or especially pious when it comes to my energy use. i AM living incredibly light, that’s just a fact of my lifestyle as a digital nomad. but i’ve never made out im some eco-warrior with noble credentials. it is frankly MYSTIFYING that you’ve expended so much hot air over the last two years trying to frame me as a uniquely ruinous consumer. of all the people lmao. i think im the only person on this forum that doesn’t own a car or commute to work. you need to get a new fucking argument man! it’s as simple as that. this is really a hopeless line of attack.
uziq
+492|3445

Dilbert_X wrote:

I don't live in an overpopulated concrete jungle, for every Dilbert there's about 20 superfluous koreans consuming energy.
dude. cities are MORE EFFICIENT than SUBURBS. korean apartment buildings might fill you with horror but the simple fact is they are FAR MORE EFFICIENT than the cul-de-sac and patio-out-back model of living. you hapless fucking idiot!

and why are koreans ‘superfluous’ but you’re not? this is again your argument? ‘asians are dirty and pollute’.

korea industrialised and began emitting on a large scale in about 1970. how much do you think australia has put into the atmosphere, cumulatively, in comparison? again, there isn’t a great difference between their present total emissions. australia is about 4 places below korea with 1/2 the population.

you can’t dodge the basic statistics. your country is culpable in every metric. why are you deflecting and blaming asians who have only had first-world living standards since about 1985?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

not sure about that one chief.

https://i.imgur.com/8FnEBPh.jpg
I'm guessing that includes all the coal exported and burned for someone else's benefit, in their power stations, to smelt their iron ore etc considering Australia is barely industrialised and doesn't really consume a lot of energy.
uziq
+492|3445
sure, guess away. or just go read the source. derp!

‘there’s about 20 superfluous koreans for every excellent white man like MEEEE!’

erm, there’s 2x as many koreans as aussies, and they almost all live in highly efficient, modern apartment buildings built within the last 20 years. and considering that australia has as many cows as human beings, i’m not sure your arithmetic adds up. i think the 1 bogan + 1 heifer model is far more wasteful and emitting than the 50 million ‘superfluous’ asians (cute fascism there, you cuck).

notice that korea ranks precisely nowhere on that cumulative total of emissions since the industrial revolution? again, it’s not developing countries who attained modern living standards in the 1980s who have put the lion’s share of shit in the atmosphere. china might shoulder the blame presently but it was your beloved, non-superfluous white people who were at it for the last 150 years.

DilDerp_xo wrote:

Australia is barely industrialised and doesn't really consume a lot of energy.

but i thought you told me australia's stats are bad because you have yuuuuge industry and are massive exporters? and korea has no heavy industry, right? but wait, now australia is barely industrialised? the world's LARGEST COAL EXPORTER has no industrial base? hahahahahah

but, hey, even taking your argument that australia is some outback pioneer frontier with no industry – your pre-industrial farming and cattle emissions are ... nat good my friend!

https://ourworldindata.org/uploads/2020/07/methane-emissions.svg

Australia is the world's twentieth largest consumer of energy, and fifteenth in terms of per capita energy use. Australia's primary energy consumption is dominated by coal (around 40 per cent), oil (34 per cent) and gas (22 per cent).
https://www.ga.gov.au/scientific-topics/energy/overview

australia's population is 0.33% of the global population and yet it is 20th out of 195 nations for consumption, 15th per capita. but sure, tell me how asians are superfluous and wasteful.

YOU CAN'T IGNORE THE FUCKING STATS DILBERT!

Last edited by uziq (2022-10-08 21:30:42)

uziq
+492|3445
https://news.berkeley.edu/2014/01/06/su … ban-cores/
Suburban sprawl cancels carbon-footprint savings of dense urban cores

According to a new study by UC Berkeley researchers, population-dense cities contribute less greenhouse-gas emissions per person than other areas of the country, but these cities’ extensive suburbs essentially wipe out the climate benefits.

Dominated by emissions from cars, trucks and other forms of transportation, suburbs account for about 50 percent of all household emissions – largely carbon dioxide – in the United States.
https://news.berkeley.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/NYCcarbonfootprintmap.jpg

what an outrage. people like me are living in modest single-room studio apartments and forsaking personal vehicles, and our efficient and condensed city-living lifestyles are being wasted by anti-social squares and curtain-peeping cucks in the suburbs, with their little penis-extension subarus. sad!

Last edited by uziq (2022-10-08 21:33:34)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

An aside, natural gas and coal make up a too-large chunk of US power generation. Not to mention fossil fuel used for personal transportation. It's far past time we prioritize more into nuclear and renewable sources of power, as well as electric vehicles. Sadly I'm always hit back with some argument about how something wasn't reliable in the 1970s or whatever early iteration that made a person scared of change. "Three Mile Island! Electronic car fires!"

I like having a little square of dirt to grow tasty food on, even swapping some of it for other plants grown by neighbors ("anti-social" I guess). And not having people stomp around on the floor above me and having my own floor rattle from the music below. I like not having to pay through my nose each month for a broom closet in some noisome, violent hive.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

but i thought you told me australia's stats are bad because you have yuuuuge industry and are massive exporters?
Primary production, not industry, try to keep up.

but, hey, even taking your argument that australia is some outback pioneer frontier with no industry – your pre-industrial farming and cattle emissions are ... nat good my friend!
Australia is a big country. and the numbers per sq km?

Oh wow, for CO2 South Korea is 7th ahead of Kuwait, Australia is third last at 90th.

well what’s to say i can’t move to a place that derives none of its power from coal?
But you didn't.

it’s amazing that i’m responsible for all the concrete poured in seoul by the act of walking in the streets and sleeping in a building, apparently
You're enjoying the benefit from them, some of the environmental cost is therefore amortised to you.

Most buildings consume more energy in construction than during use, just think, likely more than half your rent cheque is effectively paying off the coal and oil burned to build your abode.

i live in a single room apartment and use a kettle once a day
I'm sure you bathe in the river in icy melt-runoff, and eat raw whatever you can forage from the woods, and retire when the sun sets.

Once again, the climate doesn't care about per capita emissions, its total emissions which matter.

America and China - industrialised for a very short time -blow everyone else out of the water.

https://i.imgur.com/ZK6ufSS.jpg
uziq
+492|3445
haha here we go again. ‘australia’s co2 per km is low!’ what a useful statistic.

the US and china seem to be doing respectably well on that metric. very useful thing to consider when it occludes the contributions of the world’s top emitters.

it’s MORE EFFICIENT to live in high density groupings, brainiac.

Last edited by uziq (2022-10-09 02:07:42)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Dilbert_X wrote:

Once again, the climate doesn't care about per capita emissions, its total emissions which matter.
So once again, if Australia doubled its population would that mean we could sell more coal and everything would somehow be OK?
it’s MORE EFFICIENT to live in high density groupings, brainiac
Once again, the climate doesn't care about efficiency, it cares about totals.

I'm sure the last thing 1.5Bn Indians, Chinese etc will say before they starve to death is "buh buh buh buh but we're so efficient"

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2022-10-09 02:22:02)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Urgh. Please, stop, dilbs. Sitting in your voracious, suburban Australian paradise plinking away at countries that buy fucking Australian coal. "All y'all in densely populous countries need to start making sacrifices. I don't." No wonder why per capita statistics goes in one ear and out the other. Parsing it would destroy your worldview. "'The climate doesn't care about per capita,' that's why *I* can go about business as usual, guilt-free!"

You are the literal rich man telling the destitute to tighten their belts.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-10-09 03:36:01)

uziq
+492|3445
of course the total is the absolute baseline and the main consideration. but the west has been contributing to that total for over a century. the indians and chinese are newcomers. surely we need to recognise that our own affluent suburban lifestyles are propped up on systems of extraction and pollution … ? why is this such an affront to you?

when discussing what to do about climate change, per capita is a relevant stat. if a small country at the bottom of the earth has sky high per capita stats, for instance, it suggests that a tiny minority are really outdoing themselves at pollution. improvement needed. nobody is saying that is absolves china or india of the need to do anything. but, again: they’re not the main culprits over the last 150 years. constantly deflecting to them whilst continuing with an unsustainable and world-topping level of per capita emissions is not good.

i can sympathise with isolating one statistic, particularly if it’s a limit case or producing a distorting result. but per capita doesn’t distort the picture with australia at all. 0.33% of the world’s population are near the top of the table on every metric going.

stressing co2/km^2 as an escape clause is truly inane. okay, so you drive 50km a day on your commute and groceries run; and because it’s spread out over a large geographic distance, your lifestyle is applaudable and should be emulated by the india’s and china’s of this world? stop talking fucking nonsense.

you keep lecturing a person in a studio apartment who mostly walks everywhere and lives out of a suitcase on climate change. i don’t know why you ever started this argument. baiting me for months about ‘using up all that australian coal’ when your OWN country is more reliant on coal than korea.

sorry fella but you’re taking a huge L on this one. very poor innings.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

"If only people living in cities would consume (an even more) meager fraction of what I consume, so that I could nod approvingly of their emissions/area. Let's do better!"

How could someone not see the sheer preposterousness.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-10-09 04:06:04)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
What it suggests is if we can cut the world population back to a sensible level we will solve the problem.
India and China can never fully achieve first world status, there literally isn't enough food for one.

What NSW does with its energy is about as relevant to me as what Japan does compared with Korea.

The fact is the bulk of my consumption is from renewables whereas your - non- trivial - consumption is derived almost exclusively from coal - which is the worst of the worst.
I can run the AC on a sunny day, or a cold and windy one, with a clear conscience because there's literally no carbon impact.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2022-10-09 04:08:18)

uziq
+492|3445

Dilbert_X wrote:

What it suggests is if we can cut the world population back to a sensible level we will solve the problem.
India and China can never fully achieve first world status, there literally isn't enough food for one.

What NSW does with its energy is about as relevant to me as what Japan does compared with Korea.

The fact is the bulk of my consumption is from renewables whereas your - non- trivial - consumption is derived almost exclusively from coal - which is the worst of the worst.
I can run the AC on a sunny day, or a cold and windy one, with a clear conscience because there's literally no carbon impact.
it always comes down to culling indians and asians for you, doesn’t it?

the world needs a lot less australians and americans with their terrible urban design and vast suburban sprawl. you consume as much per year as 500 illiterate indian farmers or africans.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard