unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Another self-own, complaining about how China is treating its Olympics guests more lavishly than we do.
uziq
+492|3444
i mean, it's so obvious that the summer/winter olympics are an occasion for huge amounts of national grandstanding and reputation laundering on the parts of the hosts.

ironically the conservatives getting irate about tiktok/instagram stories are taking something which would remain a small curio/passing bit of fluff, shown only to athlete's followers on their social media, literally here today and gone tomorrow as they're only designed to last for 24 hrs, and made it part of The National Political Conversation.

free PR for china.

Last edited by uziq (2022-02-04 10:20:08)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Side note, I pretty much have China's anthem drilled into my head from the opening cutscene of C&C Generals' Chinese campaign. A game banned in China.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3711
I could recognize the Soviet Union's anthem but that's it.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6676|United States of America

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Side note, I pretty much have China's anthem drilled into my head from the opening cutscene of C&C Generals' Chinese campaign. A game banned in China.
But... China will grow larger?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

DesertFox- wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

But... China will grow larger?
China has big generals been generous!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I could recognize the Soviet Union's anthem but that's it.
You have an SS hat but you couldn't recognize Germany's?

At least Canada's?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Dang, I wish I could hang out there for a few weeks.

The Brietbart comments are a bunch of jealous old white people. People advocating to fight China in one breath and then taking about shooting liberals the next.

You would have to be really dumb to not profit off of Chinese grift if you can. The most American thing you can do is to sell out to an adversary.
Typically these are the exact people who have made fortunes shutting down business in the west and offshoring the jobs, and are living cheaply now as all their goods, medicines etc are made cheaply offshore.

Never mind they've mortgaged the next generation to the hilt to pay for it and given away their jobs so they can't.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

The gazpacho are at it again.

Marjorie Taylor Greene Accuses Nancy Pelosi Of Using 'Gazpacho Police'
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/marjorie … 302465786d

Is she really just like "bad publicity is still publicity." Is this intentional.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3711
Judge Jed Rakoff, the judge overseeing former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's defamation lawsuit against the New York Times, said Monday afternoon that he will dismiss the suit, ruling that Palin's team did not prove a key element of its case.

Rakoff's ruling came while the jury is deliberating over a verdict -- and Rakoff said he will allow the jury to continue deliberating and to reach a verdict, and will dismiss the case once it has done so.

Rakoff presented his findings in court on Monday with an eye toward an inevitable appeals process.
The judge in the closely-watched trial said Palin did not prove "actual malice," which is the standard her legal team had to meet in her defamation case.
"I think this an example of very unfortunate editorializing on the part of the Times," Rakoff said in his decision in court Monday. "The law here sets a very high standard (for actual malice.) The court finds that that standard has not been met."

Rakoff ruled that the jury will continue to deliberate on whether the Times is liable for defaming Palin. If the jury comes back with a verdict finding the Times was not liable, the judge indicated that he will allow the jury's verdict to stand. If the jury finds the Times liable, Rakoff is expected to set aside its verdict and replace it with a verdict as a matter of law in favor of The New York Times.

Rakoff said he was "not altogether happy with having to make this decision in favor of the defendants."
Attorneys for the New York Times hugged each other after the decision was made in court. Palin's attorneys had no comment when asked by CNN.
Rakoff said earlier on Monday that no matter the jury's decision, "this is the kind of case that will inevitably go up on appeal."

The jury of nine, five women and four men, have deliberated for more than nine hours. Rakoff has released the jury for the day; it is expected to resume deliberations on Tuesday at 9:30am.

"I love this jury and wish you a Happy Valentine's day," Rakoff said when he told the jury to "turn away" if faced with any media reports regarding the trial.
This was an interesting case to follow. Far out of left field ending.

"The Moment Sarah Palin’s Testimony Fell Apart"
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/202 … trial.html

I admit, at this point in her testimony, I was a little impressed. Palin in no way resembled the caricature I had in my head. She was confident, articulate, and—somewhat to my surprise—quite lucid. I’m not saying she was Stephen Hawking, but she at least evinced a sort of horse sense, paired with grinning charisma, that you could imagine might make her an effective mayor or governor. Then, about a half-hour in, the wheels came off.
Then the lawyer brought up The Masked Singer. Palin appeared on this prime-time show in 2020, well after the story she’s suing over ran in the Times. In the run-up to this trial, her attorneys filed a motion to bar any showing of the video in the courtroom. Now, Palin tried to bar any mention of the incident. “Objection,” she said, in an earnest way that made it sound like she actually thought she had the ability, as a witness, to object. The courtroom burst into chuckles. Rakoff informed her that this was a power not accorded to her. Forced to talk about the show, Palin said it was “the most fun 90 seconds of my life” and, when asked how much she was compensated, allowed that it had “paid some bills.”
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6282|Washington St.
Ah yes, the well-prepared examination but 0 defense during the cross-examination. Likely found her lawyer on yelp for that kind of preparation.

In fairness to her though, I would 100% randomly yell 'Objection!' any time something I didn't like was brought up, then again my IQ is probably in the single-digits and I'm also a politician over nobody.

Separately, is this common in law?

If the jury finds the Times liable, Rakoff is expected to set aside its verdict and replace it with a verdict as a matter of law in favor of The New York Times
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6708

pirana6 wrote:

If the jury finds the Times liable, Rakoff is expected to set aside its verdict and replace it with a verdict as a matter of law in favor of The New York Times
no, but it occurs when basically "the evidence is so strong no reasonable jury would return a guilty verdict" - it usually occurs more in criminal matters than civil and usually you wouldn't even try the case if your evidence is basically non existent.

American system is unique that it has a jury for civil trials. getting juries to listen to technical engineering specs for an IP issue is a "challenge" i've heard.

Always found it funny the conservative politicians shouting the most for free speech are always very litigious and use defamation proceedings as a way to silence the press.

pirana6 wrote:

Ah yes, the well-prepared examination but 0 defense during the cross-examination. Likely found her lawyer on yelp for that kind of preparation.

In fairness to her though, I would 100% randomly yell 'Objection!' any time something I didn't like was brought up, then again my IQ is probably in the single-digits and I'm also a politician over nobody.
it would have been funnier if she tried to "plead the fifth"

Last edited by Cybargs (2022-02-15 01:11:21)

https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3711
Facts
https://i.redd.it/gmpxqlbofxh81.jpg
uziq
+492|3444
you could write a very long index of all the times the right claim ownership of 'common sense'.

Last edited by uziq (2022-02-15 09:48:54)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3711
Reason, and logic too
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Whatever is closest at hand, really. 'Reason and logic' if not asked to explain, 'common sense' if asked.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6708

uziq wrote:

you could write a very long index of all the times the right claim ownership of 'common sense'.
the cherry on top is when they try to quote voltaire or thomas paine. key word, try.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
uziq
+492|3444
the best extension of it is the nativist/nationalist, scientific racist types who claim ‘rationality’ as the reason for their bitterness and anti-sociality.

dilbert will tell you in all seriousness that ‘whites have evolved a higher form of social cooperation’, despite the notion of whiteness or an aryan race not emerging until a whiffy set of scholarship in the mid-19th century (in which the superior whites were simultaneously descended from norse godmen/the north, tibet and the crucible of the himalayas, the indo-aryan plains and, of course, ancient greece; hitler and nietzsche both believing that modern nation-state germans were ‘northern mediterraneans’).
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3711
"The occupation of Ottawa has become a “militia-like activity,” Bateson writes. “The convoy has resupply bases on the outskirts of town, as well as mobile squads of pickup trucks that rove around the city, delivering supplies and harassing local residents.” The protest organizers have “even been experimenting with governance, including providing services like snow and trash removal. Remarkably, they recently inaugurated a cohort of ‘peace officers,’ who are authorized to detain people if needed. Justin Ling, a journalist, reports that some of the convoy’s peace officers have subsequently tried to arrest Ottawa police.”"

Why are the truckers like this?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

*those particular truckers. While they're not working, other truckers are doing their deliveries.

I wonder if anyone's considered class action suits against their companies. I admit I haven't been following it religiously. The protest exists in my peripheral awareness as Canadian Trumpers and Nazi flag-wavers.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

I guess Trudeau was recently chided for accusing a conservative Jewish politician or something of standing with Nazis. I get that it's inflammatory and stuff, but I mean, weren't they?

flex some political muscle to try and relieve a besieged city in your country.
conservatives: "dictator!"
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3711
I am not even 100% sure what they are angry about. I think they are angry they need a vaccine to cross borders? Whatever. It is not like their jobs were shutdown or they had to wear mask at work. Why is it always people who sacrificed the least whining the most?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

I think I read somewhere that the vast majority of Canadian truckers are vaccinated. Ottawa is a Karen festival right now.
uziq
+492|3444

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I am not even 100% sure what they are angry about. I think they are angry they need a vaccine to cross borders? Whatever. It is not like their jobs were shutdown or they had to wear mask at work. Why is it always people who sacrificed the least whining the most?
it seems trucking and logistics has been one of those industries that has been slimmed down to the thinnest of margins over the years.

the drivers, warehouse staff, grunts, etc, have borne the real cost of these 'maximized efficiencies'.

turns out people don't want to work in highly shitty jobs and a major global pandemic is a rather heavy final straw for an overladen dromedary's back.

i have no problem with truckers organizing or refusing shitty work tbh.

i do have a hard time understanding anyone who would put their livelihood or basic wellbeing before their vaccine skepticism, however. especially frontline medical staff. people who deal with marginal risks and side-effects in every single aspect of their working life suddenly becoming alarmist over a vaccine. what? how do you go through years of nursing or medical school to then find yourself a vaccine skeptic?! that's something i don't understand.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX
Medical people were the first to face vaccine mandates.

Amazingly a lot of people like to take decisions for themselves, not be dictated to by some nitwit who didn't have anything better to do than stand in a popularity contest.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard