Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX
No, you've been called out on reviewing multiple things you haven't experienced.

Still not sure why you're so blinkered on Cats.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3452
'called out'? i read, watch, and generally take more interest in culture than any of you. you muppet.

still butthurt over Cats, let's face it. mewww meww mewwww.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
But you do feel able to comment on experiences you haven't experienced, very weird.

Also

https://c.tenor.com/L7oPj5upaIkAAAAM/cats-movie-musical-morph.gif
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719
I still have a hour to go on Hamilton. I watched the first hour and a half 5 times. Once for each period. So in reality I watched way more of this musical than most casual observers. And I have to watch the musical again once a year for the next 23 years until I get my pension.

So I will therefore watch like 200 hours of Hamilton before I die.

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2021-12-27 18:23:53)

https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3452

Dilbert_X wrote:

But you do feel able to comment on experiences you haven't experienced, very weird.

Also

https://c.tenor.com/L7oPj5upaIkAAAAM/cats-movie-musical-morph.gif
genuine question, do you really find that attractive? i just can’t understand it. she looks teenaged even in the unaltered picture and then it gets much, much worse.

don’t project your deviant lifestyle onto the rest of us.

Last edited by uziq (2021-12-27 19:13:44)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

Still not sure why you're so blinkered on Cats.
There's more media out there than one person could possibly get to in a lifetime. We should be able to apply reasonable filters based on preferences and knowledge of a thing to see the stuff we want and skip the stuff we don't.

Every indication out there is that 1998 is the superior version by vast measure. Animators, effects people, musical people, musicians, stage people, story people, professionals, commentators, critics, Cats fans, furries, retching at the dung heap at every level of Cats 2019. No need to even take their word for it with telling clips, trailers, all terrible leaving one question on your mind: "what were they thinking?" It wasn't a meme just because bandwagons or whatever. Your enjoyment of putting paper-thin layer of CGI fur and distracting CGI cat ears on an actress seems rather niche. "But you didn't see Cats '19, did you" is really weak in this case. You have entire categories you dismiss out of hand, yet the onus is on us for not having seen one horrible musical that was otherwise quite easy to be aware of through memes at the time.

In zeek's case, there isn't much of a point for someone who doesn't care for the subject matter, or musicals, to go watch Cats 2019. And if he wanted to see a version of Cats on screen, I would desperately point him at the 1998.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Ah, so you're absorbing culture through memes now.

How very 2013
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

genuine question, do you really find that attractive? i just can’t understand it. she looks teenaged even in the unaltered picture and then it gets much, much worse.
I like CGI Taylor Swift a lot better TBH
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

Ah, so you're absorbing culture through memes now.

How very 2013
Talk about selective reading, the thing you, er, accuse uzique of. There's more out there to Cats '19 than second-hand reddit memes. Much discussed in many corners of the industry, blog, vlog, etc.

Imagine if you had a Far Side snippet up on your wall (as people have often done) and someone walked by your office and said "ah-hah! you learned all your engineering from comics!"

You seem uniquely obsessed with the "wow catgirl" stuff, and quite forgiving of things for it. In another 30 years we're all going to be assaulted with the mental image of your 80yo self getting it on with your cat-eared android sex doll.

https://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Ew.gif
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

cat-eared android sex doll.
I have something to look forward to, thank you.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

I know we're off-topic right now but a lot in Cats 19 could have been fixed during production planning. It is fitting though that the characters look about as bland, gray, and undifferrent as the new storytelling. Supposed to be whimsical, but instead squats at the bottom of the uncanny valley along with its gross dance troupe of cockroaches. A lot of lessons could have been picked up from the 98 version just with cat noses, tufts/manes to emphasize more catlike proportions, better variance on fur length, and a character's story able to be told almost purely from their looks. It's like the design heads have never seen a stageplay, or even a cat.

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I'm sure Cats 98 would have used hyperrealistic CGI if they'd had it available

Also

I'm feeling a bit triggered by your non-acceptance of my lifestyle choices TBH

I think it needs to stop
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

You have many strong opinions about other people's hobbies, preferences, not to mention jobs and education. This is why it's so easy to bring up your Cats fetish, or the Wonder Girl space tear-jerking, or low-key creepy comments, or just stereotypical engineer stuff, or 'ew Amazon but let me order a spring from the other side of the planet' - in response to you raising your eyebrow at a sneaker or calling all dramas just a bunch of tragic people being miserable (as if modern comic book movies aren't pretty miserable in their own right, man). Of course, Larssen thanking Americans for Cats is also very funny and bears comment.

Design decisions aren't solely dictated by CGI. If the technology was like 15 years ahead in 1998, with the same direction the costumes/'overlays' may have still looked similar to the ones we got. Varied, vibrant. With character and personality. Even with the CGI available, the production may have still been very much theater over movie which is honestly where I think Cats is stronger.

Cats 2019 was uniquely awful. They even released it in an unfinished state (lol at your "hyperrealism"), and then quickly rereleased it with adjustments. One can only imagin what was going through the heads of Universal's suits.

Screenrants puts it nicely:

Ever since its premiere late last year, Cats has been scorched by critics and audiences alike for its dodgy visual effects and strange CGI-engrossing approach to the material. Some audience members with a particularly keen eye were able to catch some specific inconsistencies throughout the musical. For instance, at one point in the original film, a man in a hooded sweatshirt could be spotted leering in the background amongst the cats, and on top of that, scattered throughout the production are strange instances in which the performers' faces shift alongside their furry heads. But perhaps the most damning evidence against the film's visual effects came when it was reported on Twitter (with a supporting image) that Judi Dench's character Old Deuteronomy can be seen with a human hand, and the Skyfall actress' own wedding ring.
AdVaNcEd 2019 TeChNoLoGy, can't even keep a face in the same spot.

While Tom Hooper's attempt may put the lid on future film adaptations of the specific Cats show, the idea of a re-release sets a terrible precedent for future filmmakers. Part of the risk of filmmaking is the impending reception or rejection of an audience. Allowing directors to go back and adjust their projects after they are done is a foolish idea, one that tampers with the idea of the filmmaking process and also the integrity of the exhibition process.
While I'm normally for things like extended cuts, I do kind of wince at effects tweaks. Special Edition Han Solo had a funny neck, haha.

Other elements than even good CGI have to come together to make a movie. Avatar, while beautiful world-building, a fantastic environment, and a ton of technical effort, ultimately a deeply flawed space smurf Pocahontas, very safe romp for a mainstream audience, still better than Cats, whose only hope is to eventually become a must-watch cult classic for being so awful.

https://i.imgur.com/gUuiz7I.jpeg

Opinion: dune is a fantasy
Fact: dune is a sci-fi

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/JN4uNPq1baM/maxresdefault.jpg

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I'm going to just have to live with you being wrong I guess.

Also anything with Zoe Saldana is OK with me.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ApprehensiveLazyEasternglasslizard-size_restricted.gif

Plot is irrelevant.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Spoken like the anti-vaxxer you are, "well you're just wrong."
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
How much more evidence do I have to show you?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

You've dismissed so much evidence out of hand on multiple topics, including filmmaking. I can't imagine what cat evidence you've scrounged up, but I could do without seeing another clip of the disgusting bug procession.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

So the LGB guy who insulted Biden during the NORAD Santa Tracker thing told the Oregonian it was all in good fun and he loves Biden like a brother. Later,

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/stat … g-harassed

The Republican party has dementia.
uziq
+492|3452
this is basically how the far-right, loony new majority of the republican party operates. the same way that soft-fascism operates everywhere, basically, from putin's russia to your run-of-the-mill white supremacist street gangs. plausible deniability. gaslighting. constant reshuffling and disputation of factual accounts.

you could see the latest generation of fascists growing like mould on 4chan/8chan with that, 'relax, bro, my extreme racism and hate speech is only trolling'. yeah. except when no one's looking, and they are left alone to talk frankly with one another, it's not trolling.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

FWP, twitter has this annoying thing where if you go to click on another message in one of those links and x out of the sign-on prompt, it refreshes you back to the page you were on. Rude. You can get around it by right clicking and opening in a new tab.

For the 1000th time, I'm not signing on with my google account or any other, go die in a ditch.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

uziq wrote:

constant reshuffling and disputation of factual accounts.
dilbert
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

So the LGB guy who insulted Biden during the NORAD Santa Tracker thing told the Oregonian it was all in good fun and he loves Biden like a brother. Later,

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/stat … g-harassed

The Republican party has dementia.
He is cashing in on his 15 minutes. He setup a GoFundMe through some Christian version of the site. He is asking for $25,000. Last I checked around this time yesterday he was at $900. Probably way past that now.

Imagine donating to a political GoFundMe. You are supposed to send donations to the Red Cross.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6737|Oxferd Ohire
He's at 6k. It says it was setup by some people in TX. Just keep grifting
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

uziq wrote:

constant reshuffling and disputation of factual accounts.
dilbert
I have had enough of this abuse.

Please contribute to my gofundme page to help me through this

http://www.gofundme/dilbertistriggered

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2021-12-28 15:05:03)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

I believe you have it in you to do better, be better. This is a positive place.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard