unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

the old white male elite
Regardless of historical validity, in terms of the current political situation I think it can sometimes be counterproductive to paint a target on "old white males" and chase them into an even more sullen, reactionary mindset. They're not going to see the "elite," they're just going to see a very specific attack on three adjectives that apply to them. I'm not saying to pander or exclusively kid gloves, just that avoiding divisive language might be a good idea, and help prevent white supremacists from picking up even more support.

It was recently easy enough for pundits to even twist Hillary's less specific "basket of deplorables" into an attack on white men. It might have been better for her to, rather than uttering that, address legitimate economic grievances and try to get some more Democratic votes. My inbox exploded after that one, and clarifying context had little mollifying effect.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

the new yorker did a piece on the future of the republican party that touches upon this stuff.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021 … epublicans

political parties adapt or die. the republicans are almost uniquely backwards looking at the moment. a party of dilberts.
Wait a minute, I thought you were supposed to look backwards in order to study history and then plan to go forwards.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3445
w ow owowowow amazing point.

surely the study of history is the same thing as wanting to keep politics and social relations the same as they were in an arbitrary year of your choosing in the 19th century! i mean what else can you glean from history!!!!

it's not as if half of all historiography or materialist philosophy has a conception of history based on change and development, is it? from liberal historiography right through to marxist dialectics, it's about forward movement.

wait until you discover benjamin's 'angel of history' metaphor. WHOOOSH! over your blessèd little head.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Once again you're reaching. We can progress without opening the country up the sort of 'social progess' you're in favour of, ie uncontrolled third world migration etc.

And once again the point really is third world migration takes us back to the 13th century or further, which makes for much worse 'social relations' than the 19th century.

Anyway, I hope the fourteen Somali refugees you've gifted your flat to while you're away are grateful and the cooking fire hasn't yet burned through to the floor below.
uziq
+492|3445
where have i ever advocated for 'uncontrolled third world migration'? LOL. i don't think there's any mainstream liberal or progressive on earth who advocates for that.

you regarding commonwealth citizens like indians and pakistanis as 'not british' is a refusal to contend with the last 150 years of history. that's not my problem. you thinking that muslims are going to 'eradicate' the west doesn't have much to do with mass migration patterns or any concrete immigration policy, either. refugees are not 'mass migration'.

'13th century or further', hahahah. where do you even get this stuff from?

Last edited by uziq (2021-04-01 01:02:40)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

the old white male elite
Regardless of historical validity, in terms of the current political situation I think it can sometimes be counterproductive to paint a target on "old white males" and chase them into an even more sullen, reactionary mindset. They're not going to see the "elite," they're just going to see a very specific attack on three adjectives that apply to them. I'm not saying to pander or exclusively kid gloves, just that avoiding divisive language might be a good idea, and help prevent white supremacists from picking up even more support.

It was recently easy enough for pundits to even twist Hillary's less specific "basket of deplorables" into an attack on white men. It might have been better for her to, rather than uttering that, address legitimate economic grievances and try to get some more Democratic votes. My inbox exploded after that one, and clarifying context had little mollifying effect.
Some of the things white liberals say about other white people makes me wince. I will never intervene in defense of whites when they are criticized by other whites though. If a minority is shitting on white people I may speak up depending on a multitude of situational circumstances. But in total, the worst things I have ever heard said about white people came from white liberals.

The white on white rhetorical violence is part of my theory on how all of American politics revolves around the issue of homosexuality. White liberals in the early 2000's became very sympathetic to the issues of gay people. These same liberals noticed that the organized political activism against gay people came from white conservatives who also were the organized political community against civil rights for ethnic and racial minorities. So the gay friendly activist joined in alliance with the ethnic minorities in a broad coalition to stop the evangelical white people who oppressed the ever expanding numbers and types of non-straight white people.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

If you intervened in defense of whites being criticized by other whites, would that make you a white knight or a white knight?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712
White Knighting seems like a close enough topic to bring up the issues of Matt Gaetz.
Representative Matt Gaetz, Republican of Florida and a close ally of former President Donald J. Trump, is being investigated by the Justice Department over whether he had a sexual relationship with a 17-year-old and paid for her to travel with him, according to three people briefed on the matter.

Investigators are examining whether Mr. Gaetz violated federal sex trafficking laws, the people said. A variety of federal statutes make it illegal to induce someone under 18 to travel over state lines to engage in sex in exchange for money or something of value. The Justice Department regularly prosecutes such cases, and offenders often receive severe sentences.

It was not clear how Mr. Gaetz met the girl, believed to be 17 at the time of encounters about two years ago that investigators are scrutinizing, according to two of the people.
In a stunning act of foresight and competence, the Federal government closed a loophole preventing people from getting around age of consent laws by driving a state over. So technically the guy committed sex trafficking if that is what he did. Also I read somewhere else the minimum on conviction is 10 years. Big yikes. Also this further proves the axiom "Everything Trump Touches Dies".
uziq
+492|3445
i honestly cannot imagine being a public figure, a politician, therefore under immense scrutiny ... and fooling around with a 17 year old. c'mon my guy. there's literally about a million 20 year olds.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

The guy's about my age. He has no business fooling around with 17 year olds. Robbing the cradle much.

As an aside, age disparity romance flicks probably aren't helping.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

the old white male elite

I strongly disagree. Not tiptoeing around the reality of historic white male privilege is key to fixing the problem of systemic inequality. Recognizing that rich white males created rules of governance that strictly benefitted them to the detriment of virtually every other group is a good foundation to discussing why it is important to have diverse and equitable power structures. I think it's better to focus on the exclusivity of that group, instead of kowtowing to snowflakes who like to pretend an unjust system does not benefit them. At the same time, highlighting which groups were excluded is just as important, because the overwhelming majority of people were. That's why we have to remind people that less than 100 years ago, Italians weren't considered white.175 years ago, Irish people weren't considered white. 250 years ago, poor white people weren't given rights. And all along, black people have been shitted on. This is the reality of American history, and failing to properly account for the racism in the grain of sand around the American pearl serves no purpose.

The truth hurts sometimes. Too bad.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

the old white male elite

I strongly disagree. Tiptoeing around the reality of historic white male privilege is key to fixing the problem of systemic inequality. Recognizing that rich white males created rules of governance that strictly benefitted them to the detriment of virtually every other group is a good foundation to discussing why it is important to have diverse and equitable power structures. I think it's better to focus on the exclusivity of that group, instead of kowtowing to snowflakes who like to pretend an unjust system does not benefit them. At the same time, highlighting which groups were excluded is just as important, because the overwhelming majority of people were. That's why we have to remind people that less than 100 years ago, Italians weren't considered white.175 years ago, Irish people weren't considered white. 250 years ago, poor white people weren't given rights. And all along, black people have been shitted on. This is the reality of American history, and failing to properly account for the racism in the grain of sand around the American pearl serves no purpose.

I don't think it is very productive trying to convince these people about historic male privilege since they will never be convinced. I do find it contemptible that the "telling it like it is" crowd are also the ones deeply upset about Satanic shoes, kneeling at sports games, Lady Gaga and a host of other things. Of course liberals get made over silly shit too but they don't make "telling like it is" part of their identity.
https://www.chrischristie.com/assets/images/logo-tagline.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Well like I said we don't need to sweep anything under the rug, but I'm after what's politically helpful, what will get Republicans gone, and staunch the flow of radicalization. Yes it sucks that black people for example are overpoliced and harassed into a national crisis, but haranguing a 60-whatever year old white dude, with various onerous debts his entire struggling adult life, about how much old white people suck and trod on others isn't helping anyone isn't going to help The Minorities (or the poor) either.

I think we need a positive, inclusive spin. The history should be talked about like history, and not used as a personal attack against people with no more control over the current state of culture than anyone else. It should not be turned into a lowbrow message of "you all suck, get fucked."

By all means, let's keep hammering down on examples of Republican rights suppression like Georgia and Arizona. And police reform being a thing that Should Happen in a country with Hitler manuals, locker room talk over the radio about immolating protesters, "You're Fucked" scratched on service rifles, and repeatedly cruising past a black guy who pulled over to text his friend during a Star Wars argument, then following him in to take up 40 minutes of his day with cops from three patrol cars asking inconsistent questions and giving inconsistent answers.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

SuperJail Warden wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I strongly disagree. Tiptoeing around the reality of historic white male privilege is key to fixing the problem of systemic inequality. Recognizing that rich white males created rules of governance that strictly benefitted them to the detriment of virtually every other group is a good foundation to discussing why it is important to have diverse and equitable power structures. I think it's better to focus on the exclusivity of that group, instead of kowtowing to snowflakes who like to pretend an unjust system does not benefit them. At the same time, highlighting which groups were excluded is just as important, because the overwhelming majority of people were. That's why we have to remind people that less than 100 years ago, Italians weren't considered white.175 years ago, Irish people weren't considered white. 250 years ago, poor white people weren't given rights. And all along, black people have been shitted on. This is the reality of American history, and failing to properly account for the racism in the grain of sand around the American pearl serves no purpose.

I don't think it is very productive trying to convince these people about historic male privilege since they will never be convinced. I do find it contemptible that the "telling it like it is" crowd are also the ones deeply upset about Satanic shoes, kneeling at sports games, Lady Gaga and a host of other things. Of course liberals get made over silly shit too but they don't make "telling like it is" part of their identity.
https://www.chrischristie.com/assets/images/logo-tagline.png
I don't think the focus should be on convincing them. I think the focus should be on making our government and social institutions more equitable through highlighting the overwhelming benefits of an inclusive society. But if people ask the question why, understanding the history is a good idea.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

It would help if we had politicians elected who were willing to go forward on these things, don't you think.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I don't think the focus should be on convincing them. I think the focus should be on making our government and social institutions more equitable through highlighting the overwhelming benefits of an inclusive society.
Shouldn't the disadvantages of an 'inclusive society' be considered too?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

Humor me with a few
uziq
+492|3445
like what? you losing your default position at the top of the pile? mexican restaurants? taxi drivers who speak more than one language?

or are you spinning up your amazing ‘white replacement theory’ stuff too? ‘lesbians and muslims will eradicate western civilisation’.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Humor me with a few
Tax revenue being plowed into unproductive wasteful uses.

Tolerance of intolerance giving rise to more intolerance not less.

The productive people getting tired of carrying everyone else and being insulted at the same time, pulling John Galts and going elsewhere.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

Dilbert_X wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Humor me with a few
Tax revenue being plowed into unproductive wasteful uses.

Tolerance of intolerance giving rise to more intolerance not less.

The productive people getting tired of carrying everyone else and being insulted at the same time, pulling John Galts and going elsewhere.
"Unproductive uses" is arbitrary, and not unique to an equitable and inclusive society. I sure as hell don't agree with my taxpayer money being spent on ordnance being dropped in Yemen. You're gonna have to help me understand how this type of issue is endemic to an equitable and inclusive institution.

Tolerance of intolerance exists now. It's a symptom of an unequal and exclusive society by default.

Scale up anything beyond 5 people and you will find complaints about unfair inputs and outputs.

Everything you've described above currently exists. What on earth are you trying to argue here?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

[Tolerance of intolerance exists now. It's a symptom of an unequal and exclusive society by default.
Maybe there are some things we should be intolerant of.

Scale up anything beyond 5 people and you will find complaints about unfair inputs and outputs.
So what are we supposed to do about normal human nature?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

Of course there are things we should be intolerant of. Glad we've cleared that up.

I can't help but feel like we made a huge breakthrough here, Dilbert.
uziq
+492|3445
maybe there are some things we should be intolerant of.
you mean, like, treating someone differently and regarding them as a different species because of their skin colour? confusing people for dog breeds?

maybe we should be intolerant of lazy, glib, politically charged references to that infinitely malleable 'human nature'?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

you mean, like, treating someone differently and regarding them as a different species because of their skin colour? confusing people for dog breeds?
Great, so we shouldn't allow in muslims, jews and indians for three, as they exhibit all those characteristics which have no place in a modern progressive society.
uziq
+492|3445
we're back to point one. you can't beat intolerance with more intolerance.

many muslims, jews, 'and indians' (weird category) live in western democracies and are tolerant and inclusive. a jewish family from manchester or a bangladeshi family from southall do not have to have the same attitudes as someone in the occupied zones of israel.

the fact that muslims in mountain villages of pakistan or indians in bombay are not paragons of inclusivity doesn't throw out the whole idea. absolutely daft.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard