unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

OK, here's an article claiming the Arnold threatened to lop off the heads of Trump supporters:

https://defconnews.com/2021/01/10/arnol … upporters/

After comparing the Capitol protesters to the Nazis who rounded up Jews, Schwarzenegger decided it was time for him to round up some Trump supporters:

“We need to hold accountable the people who brought us to this unforgivable point,” said Schwarzenegger holding the Conan sword.

So he wants to chop up some Trump supporters? Isn’t that pretty much what he’s accusing the Capitol protesters of? Killing off political opponents?

Despite Joe Biden’s bullshit claims of unity and healing, democrats have always intended to make President Trump and his supporters pay. The faux outrage over the Capitol protests is just being used as a pretext to exact their revenge. Make no mistake, they coming after us and Arnold Schwarzenegger is more than happy to be a part of that pogrom.
Which is of course not what he said. He displayed the prop to make an analogy about the tempering of steel being like the tempering of a nation. The part with him holding the sword and the part with him saying people need to be held accountable occurred a half a minute apart.

The comments below are usually barely cohesive enough to respond to the article, or to make threats of their own:

Shut up before I knock you down, take your sword, and break your hip.
I think Arnold's been outspoken about his opposition to Trump before, so maybe he gets to be called a Republican with an iota of conscience? But all these career Republicans coming out of the woodwork with condemnations of Trump are very blatantly insincere after years of silence and allowing this transformation to happen without a peep.

ThE LiBrUlS aRe WoRsE RInO ArNoLd ThReATeNEd US WiTh A SwOrD.

Bought into it as easily as thinking that Hillary hates white people. I'd like to call these sources irrelevant but they do kind of assume some amount of infamy when they help fuel the fervor that drives people into violent insurrection.

Dilbert could be a ghost writer.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

Oh also his uniform looked like SS? OK, unzipped, zippered jacket with a couple patches and a blue t-shirt. Totally SS.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX

DesertFox- wrote:

I was thinking along similar lines yesterday trying to figure out where we go from here. A disconcerting amount of people still don't see anything wrong, and a lot of Republicans (including those whose lives were at risk) will continue to be "very concerned" but not act. There's a victimhood censorship narrative being formed as they search for their echo chambers, and I understand Gab has seen a spike in users recently. They're drunk on a sense of grievance and continuing to back themselves into a corner of their own making.

How do we fix it? I doubt a Biden administration de-Nazification analogue would be well-received. Republicans have also ceded their party to Trump, so there's no respected figures to give a denouncement a la Stalin, either. I don't know how to snap people back into objective reality.
America needs to be partitioned, put all the Republicans in the middle, so they can't see the sea and thus question whether the world is really flat, give the Democrats the East and West coasts, build a bridge between the two.

A year should be long enough for people to decide where they want to go and get on the right side of the line.

It would mean building another two walls but think of the economic benefits of wall construction.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

But all these career Republicans coming out of the woodwork with condemnations of Trump are very blatantly insincere after years of silence and allowing this transformation to happen without a peep.
About six years too late.
Larssen
+99|1889
I wonder how Romney will now be received in the party. He was the first high profile active republican politician to openly oppose Trump no?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Is that after he went groveling to Trump for a job?
uziq
+492|3453
yeah romney washing his hands of trumpism is just as shameless as any other senior GOP member.

a bunch of idiots having very stagey Damascene moments.
Larssen
+99|1889
Well at least he was the only one breaking rank back in february no? I'll credit him with that.
uziq
+492|3453
only about 4 years too late and after supporting the trump agenda on any number of occasions. truly a cicero.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

Governing Republicans very much had a hand in propping Trumpism. I have zero cares to spare for the damage they've done to themselves. They're all spent on concern for damage to the country. No respect for a politician who waited until late in Trump's term to break away. Plenty of opportunities for them to object earlier. Romney and his weepy-eyed old running mate pal can go retire and live at a golf resort and stay well away from politics.

If Biden can opportunistically help some of them recover a bit of their dignity, maybe they wouldn't go as hard line against him as they might've otherwise. Might be pipe dreams, though.
Larssen
+99|1889
Ya except you still need them if you want him to be impeached and if you want the party to change. Fact is about 50% of the population voted that way and the republicans still hold a majority in the senate. This isn't something easily squashed or marginalised. I'd consider being open to allies who are actually willing to pull the other way, sincerely, even if they were 'part of the problem' in the past.
uziq
+492|3453
granted, romney and republicans turning last february or now is better than never at all.

but the republican party has led itself down a very long and dark corridor with trumpism and it WILL be painful as it slowly walks back. a lot of people are going to have to reckon with themselves and seriously consider their positions. america needs civil servants not these rabble-rousing demagogues who have led to insurrection and murder.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

Larssen wrote:

Ya except you still need them if you want him to be impeached and if you want the party to change. Fact is about 50% of the population voted that way and the republicans still hold a majority in the senate. This isn't something easily squashed or marginalised. I'd consider being open to allies who are actually willing to pull the other way, sincerely, even if they were 'part of the problem' in the past.
Kind of like how we kept some of the Nazis around to help govern post-war Germany, yeah I get that. I'd be polite, but just don't ask me to express any margin of chumminess with them.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

Even if we were to magically replace all the Republicans tomorrow, imagine the looney gadflies we'd get in their place. Just thinking about some of the local/state personalities makes me squirm uncomfortably. It's not a party I'm likely to touch with a ten foot pole anytime soon. I wish Washington would abolish sales tax and institute an income tax in its place so our Republicans would no longer have the "we're keeping Washington from having both!" cudgel to wave about.

Dilbert_X wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

But all these career Republicans coming out of the woodwork with condemnations of Trump are very blatantly insincere after years of silence and allowing this transformation to happen without a peep.
About six years too late.
Definitely cared more about the position than the integrity. So much for that stick.

I would extend that through years of disrupting 44 for the sake of it, and going along with Jr.'s fascistic-leaning decisions.
Larssen
+99|1889

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Larssen wrote:

Kind of like how we kept some of the Nazis around to help govern post-war Germany, yeah I get that. I'd be polite, but just don't ask me to express any margin of chumminess with them.
They're pieces of shit but not exactly murdered 40 million people level of shit yet.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

380,000 American deaths and setting back things like the economy and race relations by who knows how long besides? No, I'm not at the point where I rebuke the government yet. Get back to me when it's 40 million.
uziq
+492|3453

Larssen wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Larssen wrote:

They're pieces of shit but not exactly murdered 40 million people level of shit yet.
ripping up the paris accords, souring relations with the rest of world, separating mothers and children at the border and 'losing' their contact details ... i don't know, these guys have followed trump in doing quite a lot of damage to the world, in my view.

abandoning environmental science during a mass extinction event and widespread global warming (wasn't 2020 the most expensive year on record for natural disasters in america?) seems like a pretty big crime, to me.

is the holocaust really a useful benchmark for political performance?

Last edited by uziq (2021-01-11 03:44:01)

Larssen
+99|1889
If we compare republicans to actual nazis, yes? I did reference all deaths in the European theatre though, not just the holocaust. However bad we think we have it at least we're not getting literally murdered in the millions for lebensraum.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

I didn't so much draw a direct comparison as say that Republicans employing former Trumpists is similar (in some respects) to West Germany employing former Nazis. As widespread as Trumpism and Trump apologetics were, who else are the Republicans realistically going to find.

However, I strongly object to the suggestion that I "gotta respect" a single one of them because "better late than never." Also, not killing 40 million people doesn't really mean much as a redeeming factor.

Also, uziq has a point that Republicans choosing to actively ignore climate change may not turn out that great in the long run. I might add along with the before mentioned generational damage, economic loss, and sabotage to American faith in science, medicine, and our very system of government.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

Did Lauren Boebert Help Rioters? GOP Rep Accused of Live-Tweeting Nancy Pelosi's Location
https://www.ibtimes.sg/did-lauren-boebe … tion-54815

While we're cleaning up the raiders.

Nate
@NateRuns5
Very interesting that this was tweeted by her during the Insurrection @FBI ⬆️ quiet possible this is a specific message to those she called to action. @SpeakerPelosi you might want to bring someone into your office for a talk. Make sure to check for weapons first.
8:59 PM · Jan 8, 2021
lol
uziq
+492|3453
another broader consequence of trumpism is that it has enabled and encouraged similar forms of populism across the democratic west. of course, each nation has its own history and dynamics, and there are systemic issues behind all of these ideological formations, but the simple fact is that the trump administration has encouraged a sort of informal ‘coalition’.

the hard-brexiters and bojo’s lot, orban, hard men regimes like erdogan’s, etc, have all cynically looked to trump’s playbook. the U.K. now finds itself in a position where a future trading agreement with the US, as envisioned along the ERG/trump admin lines, is seriously doubtful. it’s a house of cards.
Larssen
+99|1889
I don't feel it's conducive to a better future to ascertain that the entirety of the republican party consisted of trumpists out to destroy everything. It's not true, though I'll agree the lengths to which they went to put party above country is incredible. But that's the main issue here; it's not that all hundreds in the house and senate were convinced Trump ideologues, but that they consistently prioritised the integrity of the party over any other objection they might've had to Trump's insanity.

This was done in the understanding that a fundamental break and fight within the party would probably spell the end of their contention in the elections. It's happened a few times in the past that third party candidates effectively sabotaged the efforts of the main ticket. Making this the norm would ensure very long term democrat dominance at both state and national politics. Now if you are vehemently opposed to the democrat platform, a republican, but not a trumpist, and the system is very much one of winner takes all, how much room to maneouver do you really have?

One of the issues in your democratic system is that the two party dominance is suffocating, eliminating the political manifestation of many 'reasonable alternatives'. It also makes it susceptible to extremes taking over, especially in a world where clickbait rules. It's no coincidence that only the most aggressive politicians dominate the arena.

Last edited by Larssen (2021-01-11 04:25:18)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

I don't think it's necessarily helpful to pretend that "it wasn't as bad as all that" either. Also, a Republican didn't necessarily have to be a Trumpist to be an enabler.
Larssen
+99|1889
Well then figure out why so many, actually all of them, ended up being enablers. It's not just a sickness in the party here but a
glaring weakness in your democratic system.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

but the republican party has led itself down a very long and dark corridor with trumpism and it WILL be painful as it slowly walks back. a lot of people are going to have to reckon with themselves and seriously consider their positions. america needs civil servants not these rabble-rousing demagogues who have led to insurrection and murder.
The takeaway is the Republicans would literally make a deal with the devil if it delivered them power.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard