SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
A bunch of the Trump supporters/anti-SJW people I have on facebook are friends who grew up in NJ but then moved to Texas to live out a guns and big truck lifestyle. They all visit each other regularly so I wonder if it was a sort of suicide pact thing where they all moved to Texas to live out fantasy.

I mean who grows up basically in NYC and decides guns is worth moving living in the land of rodeos?

https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

https://local.theonion.com/panicked-wom … 1845205197

The Onion wrote:

Panicked Woman Scrambles To Write Down ‘$750’ Before 24-Hour News Cycle Wipes Memory Clean

DULUTH, ID—Throwing open drawers and tossing the entire contents on the floor as part of her desperate search, local woman Lisa Rhodes was reportedly scrambling Monday to find a pen and paper to write down “$750” before the 24-hour news cycle completely wiped her memory clean. “Come on, come on, there’s got to be a marker or maybe a lipstick or something somewhere I can use to remind myself,” said the increasingly frantic Rhodes, repeating the words “Federal Income Tax’’ over and over to herself as the knowledge of the bombshell report outlining the president’s chronic tax avoidance already began to fade. “Here we are...have to remember...Federal...Federal...Donald Trump did...something bad...with The New York Times? Damn, it’s gone.” At press time, a confused Rhodes was staring at a slip of paper featuring a handwritten number “7,” which she could only assume had something to do with the upcoming Supreme Court nomination fight.
Wonderful.
uziq
+492|3422
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
The Trump-Biden debate is tonight. This is only debate that probably matters in forever. If Biden does well in it, it could make a big difference in how on the fence people view his capability for the job. Biden actually did really well in his debate with Bernie Sanders so I am not expecting a meltdown or something.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
The Trump-campaign has requested that third parties be allowed to inspect the ears of each candidate before Tuesday night’s presidential debate, in order to check for an electronic device, Fox News reported Tuesday.

Negotiations are still ongoing for some of the rules for the Tuesday night debate as well as the other two upcoming debates, a Trump-campaign source told Fox.

The Biden campaign agreed to allow for a third party to check candidates’ ears several days ago, sources told the Washington Post‘s Ebony Bowden. However, the Biden-campaign is now refusing to submit to the inspection.

Trump’s team has already denied a request by the Biden-campaign to allow for two breaks during the 90-minute debate.
can't make this shit up.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

will we get drowsy, downer Trump or amphetamine-pumped Trump? Taking bets!
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
Will the hall be empty?

I think Trump feeds off the people quite a bit so if it's just the two of them + the moderator he may be more subdued. Complete guess though.
uziq
+492|3422
a demagogue needs his demos!
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

i'm willing to bet that since he isn't giving a speech where he needs to stay on message that we will be getting the circus version.

Amphetamine dosage turned to 11!
Larssen
+99|1858

pirana6 wrote:

Will the hall be empty?

I think Trump feeds off the people quite a bit so if it's just the two of them + the moderator he may be more subdued. Complete guess though.
I don't think so, in numerous smaller and 1 on 1 engagements he was just as combative as ever. It also feeds into his enthusiasm - he likes to argue/fight. Expect a 'pumped' version.

What I'm more interested in is how the republican party will continue after Trump. I stand by my assessment that there's no way he can win again, seeing as the man so thoroughly alienated everyone.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I hope Trump falls over dead on T.V. I will still be enjoying the memes into my 70's.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

SuperJail Warden wrote:

The Trump-Biden debate is tonight. This is only debate that probably matters in forever. If Biden does well in it, it could make a big difference in how on the fence people view his capability for the job. Biden actually did really well in his debate with Bernie Sanders so I am not expecting a meltdown or something.
What a *&#-show.

SuperJail Warden wrote:

The Trump-campaign has requested that third parties be allowed to inspect the ears of each candidate before Tuesday night’s presidential debate, in order to check for an electronic device, Fox News reported Tuesday.

Negotiations are still ongoing for some of the rules for the Tuesday night debate as well as the other two upcoming debates, a Trump-campaign source told Fox.

The Biden campaign agreed to allow for a third party to check candidates’ ears several days ago, sources told the Washington Post‘s Ebony Bowden. However, the Biden-campaign is now refusing to submit to the inspection.

Trump’s team has already denied a request by the Biden-campaign to allow for two breaks during the 90-minute debate.
can't make this shit up.
Honestly, I'd all be for surgically installing an earpiece into the president if I thought he'd listen to the advice of someone who knows better and they'd always be on hand.
uziq
+492|3422
biden is right, trump is the worst president america has ever had. even if biden is another stooge straight out of the swamp, at least he isn’t actively torpedo’ing america’s credibility in the eyes of the world.

this november is going to be very spicey. all this presidential drama against the backdrop of a 9/11’s worth of deaths every few days.
uziq
+492|3422
conservatives: women are too emotional to be president! hillary is so shrill! i bet elizabeth warren would get her period and nuke a small -stan!
also conservatives: ha ha ha ha yeahhhh donald trump kicked biden's ASS in that argument.
Larssen
+99|1858
To me the debate really seemed almost a physical manifestation of the structural issues that have plagued the US for decades now. Without fundamental reform in its media landscape, political organisation and social stratification it is a certainty that this sort of 'presidential' battles will repeat. Even if Trump disappears from the stage come january, someone equally terrible or even worse will take the wheel at some point if the underlying issues are allowed to linger.

The political stage seems to have been converted into some sort of verbal iteration of an MMA octagon. The focus in politics having shifted to only producing dominating soundbites, 'gotcha' moments and slamming/punching the opponent, the best attacks personal in nature, as these generate the most clicks and ratings. Something we know Trump excels at. There was no semblance of a discussion - a symbolic reflection of a society that is tearing itself to pieces.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
What actually matters is how this all plays with his supporters, and they only care about soundbites.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I was exhausted from work and went to bed with 30 minutes to go. What I took away from it is that Biden clearly doesn't have the energy to debate someone like Trump. And Trump lies about everything and isn't worth listening to. I am probably going to skip the next debates.
uziq
+492|3422

Larssen wrote:

To me the debate really seemed almost a physical manifestation of the structural issues that have plagued the US for decades now. Without fundamental reform in its media landscape, political organisation and social stratification it is a certainty that this sort of 'presidential' battles will repeat. Even if Trump disappears from the stage come january, someone equally terrible or even worse will take the wheel at some point if the underlying issues are allowed to linger.

The political stage seems to have been converted into some sort of verbal iteration of an MMA octagon. The focus in politics having shifted to only producing dominating soundbites, 'gotcha' moments and slamming/punching the opponent, the best attacks personal in nature, as these generate the most clicks and ratings. Something we know Trump excels at. There was no semblance of a discussion - a symbolic reflection of a society that is tearing itself to pieces.
the same thing happens in the UK parliament with prime minister's questions. the corbyn-era saw this a lot. it was all about grabbing those 15-second soundbites to loop on twitter and social media. 'corbyn owns cameron!' you're right: essentially the politicians are only there to talk to their own audience, share the 'victory' with their own isolated follower-bubbles on social media, and continue on with the next media avalanche.

it's also worth noting that the technique of just broadcasting incessantly with no courtesy or concession to your 'debating partner' is actually pretty much competition debating technique nowadays. even in international debating competitions, at top level, with college teams, the 'meta' is very much just 'splutter as many points as you can and overwhelm your opponent'. no rhetoric, no accountability, no answering to ripostes, no substantiation. just sheer OUTPUT.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I think Biden did badly at this debate. I do notice how mainstream media is making the whole thing look like a disaster despite Trump actually showing up and dominating the conversation. I don't expect the debate to have a major effect on the election though.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

the same thing happens in the UK parliament with prime minister's questions. the corbyn-era saw this a lot. it was all about grabbing those 15-second soundbites to loop on twitter and social media. 'corbyn owns cameron!' you're right: essentially the politicians are only there to talk to their own audience, share the 'victory' with their own isolated follower-bubbles on social media, and continue on with the next media avalanche.

it's also worth noting that the technique of just broadcasting incessantly with no courtesy or concession to your 'debating partner' is actually pretty much competition debating technique nowadays. even in international debating competitions, at top level, with college teams, the 'meta' is very much just 'splutter as many points as you can and overwhelm your opponent'. no rhetoric, no accountability, no answering to ripostes, no substantiation. just sheer OUTPUT.
https://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/ax73RdD_460s.jpg
uziq
+492|3422
aren't you a little bit old for 4chan memes dilbert?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I picked it up from somewhere which isn't 4chan.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Didn't Pepe become like exclusively alt-right meme material so rancid that the original cartoonist killed him off?
uziq
+492|3422
yep, it was used in extremely racist and offensive material. just like the 'OK' sign was co-opted by the same people on the same chan message boards. but apparently dilbert thinks cartoons and OK signs are innocuous and just in fun. they don't announce themselves as white supremacists so i guess it's 'reaching'.
Larssen
+99|1858
I mean, I often use the OK in text chat...

I find the idea that a rather chaotically applied internet meme can be co-opted by political ideologists and become a conspiratorial symbol of their allegiance to a certain cause far out. Of course it's true that the pepe meme ended up being used often on those alt-right message boards in many negative contexts, but I don't feel it's right to subsequently exclusively identify it with an ultra racist right wing agenda - to then disparage any who dare ctrl+c and ctrl+v it. The feels good / feels bad man period of that meme had no specific connotation at all.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-09-30 11:01:05)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard