unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Honestly, can the president get any whinier.
uziq
+492|3422
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ … k-soldiers

so moscow's top-secret intelligence unit, the same one that keeps trying to poison ex-russian spies on the sovereign soil of foreign nations, has been paying the taliban to kill US and UK soldiers.

trump was briefed on this weeks ago, but has said nothing.

The bombshell report in the New York Times says there has been a major escalation by Moscow to undermine the White House and its coalition allies, including the UK, as President Trump seeks a peace deal with the Taliban.

According to the paper, Trump was briefed on the activity months ago, but no discernible action has been taken. The UK received the intelligence last week. The 29155 unit of the GRU, an arm of Russia’s military intelligence agency, was responsible for executing the plan, according to the paper. In recent years, it has been linked to assassination attempts aimed at destabilising the West.

Unit 29155 has been linked to an attempted coup in Montenegro, the poisoning of a Bulgarian arms manufacturer and subversion in Moldova.

British prosecutors have charged two of its agents with the attempted murders of Skripal, the former GRU officer who defected to the UK, and his daughter, in Salisbury in 2018.
so remember that the next time trump jokes about 'his pal putin' and says how he admires the man, to 'trigger the libtards', trump actually has pretty solid intelligence briefing informing him that putin is paying the taliban a bounty to murder americans.
Larssen
+99|1857
I reckon this has been on going policy since 2001 as a tit for tat by then old guard who remembered the soviet war in afgh in the 80s.
uziq
+492|3422
yes, undoubtedly. russia are clearly involved in almost every conflict by some route or supply. but it’s significant that they’re trying to destabilise the peace process.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
The question is what their endgame, take political control over other countries - as Israel is doing with the British Labour party and China is with the Australian Labor Party, or wait until the chaos has weakened and split the world to the point they can run tanks across the whole region.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3422
the main architect of putin's ideology, who has since, of course, fallen out of favour, promoted maximum chaos, basically.

read up on surkov, he's an interesting case.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I was going to say that "If Russia is anything like the U.S., their foreign services are confused and contradictory" but then I realized that Russia is blessed by the fact that they have a very simple foreign policy: just weaken the westerners. The U.S. is the dummy trying to balance stopping China, stopping Russia, stopping Sunni terrorism, stopping Iran, and keeping Israel safe. It's all too much and contradictory. And in fairness to Russia, what stake does the U.S. even have in Eastern Europe? The Russians are capitalist now and democracy is so fragile that people knowingly vote in dictatorships. If we really want to contain the Chinese, the Poles and Ukrainians are going to have to get thrown under the bus.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Its funny then that both Russia and America are promoting chaos or cauldronisation as a way of weakening and dividing foes.
They don't care that they're turning the world to shit.
In the long run it will be bad for everyone except the 1% in each nation.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
It is easier to take someone down than build yourself up.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Certainly easier to rob than create.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
That would have been a good line to use in the racism thread.
uziq
+492|3422
especially considering the entire history of music and popular culture from about 1960 onwards is one of white people robbing black culture.
Larssen
+99|1857
That's a bit of a strange argument don't you think
uziq
+492|3422
the history of blues and rock & roll, from the 12-bar blues up to more contemporary r&b (relations of black artists to white record labels).
the influence of jazz.
the influence of african drumming, rhythms and polyrhythms, repetition on western classical traditions.
the rise of electro, breakdance, boom-bap, hip-hop.
the all-pervasiveness of rapping, gangsta rap, every sub-genre afterwards.
house music from chicago, gospel, black, latin, gay clubs.
techno from detroit.

as a person living in germany, bragging about your techno scene and fawning over kendrick lamar’s world-summing zeitgeist genius, i’d think a teeny bit harder about the contribution of originally black art forms to white culture.

it’s pretty clear, at least, that african-americans have done plenty of ‘creating’ of their own. i don’t buy into a simplistic ‘they were robbed by white peoples’ argument; i don’t think that’s how artistic influence works in general. i am sure i have more refined notions of artistic creation/influence/transmission than you. with that said, there is very literally a material and concrete history of white record labels or recording studios ripping off black musicians, not paying them, not crediting them; white radio stations in segregation/jim crow era; white-washing black music with pretty and sale-able white artists, etc etc. that ‘exploitation’ runs right up to today, with the widespread appropriation of house/techno by clueless europeans who just want to take a pill and dance the night away. two chicago legends just filed a lawsuit against Trax records (owned by a white husband/wife) for about 30 years of unpaid credit, for example. i can tell you much more if you like.

Last edited by uziq (2020-06-28 00:37:12)

Larssen
+99|1857
Never denied it didn't contribute but 'robbing' - I know in the 50s/60s USA or so there was quite some plagiarism but most of it I would describe as cultural exchange and blending.

Also I don't see how western classical music robs from black cultures

Last edited by Larssen (2020-06-28 00:36:43)

uziq
+492|3422
please go and educate yourself. it’s not my job if you don’t know about the influence of african art on western music and art. it goes back to at least the late 1800s and its vogue for ‘primitivism’. want to talk about the influence of african art on picasso? on the fauvist movement? how about the influence of polyrhythms and tempering on eminent western minimalists like steve reich?

how about we talk about contemporary trends, like how one of the more successful independent labels nowadays is called ‘awesome tapes from africa’? importing and ‘discovering’ african artists like william onyeabor for western audiences. or how about the french label that ran a series through the 1970s called ‘ethiopiques’, releasing dozens of records of ethiopian sounds?

again, i know that artistic influence is about much more than ‘stealing’. but this stuff is often accompanied by rights deals and royalties fuckups in which the originators aren’t credited and aren’t paid. there are very real material aspects to consider.

secondly, and for christ’s sake, i was merely making the point that we live in an era defined in large part by black culture. it was a retort to the ‘build your own thing’ racism of macbeth and dilbert. are you really going to disagree with that when you, some belgian simp, embarrass yourself with all that ‘kendrick lamar is so deep and prophetic’ bullshit? we are literally in an age where rap and house/electro is ubiquitous.

Last edited by uziq (2020-06-28 00:45:21)

Larssen
+99|1857
Influence =/= robbing, I took issue with that choice of words
uziq
+492|3422
i was playing on the original message by dilbert.

and yes, in many cases actual exploitation has been involved. it isn’t some distant and hazy memory from the racist 1950s. again, go and educate yourself. there are still record labels to this day who don’t pay the black creators. the Trax records thing was in the news and the lawsuit filed last WEEK.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news … -interview

Last edited by uziq (2020-06-28 01:10:25)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
My comment wasn't to suggest black people rob white people, it was the 1% robbing everyone, and they're not typically creative types.

I've made the point before that if you're white and ideally jewish you can rob a billion-fold more than George Floyd supposedly did and still face zero prospect of being smacked into the pavement or shot.
uziq
+492|3422
ok, sorry for misinterpreting your point.
uziq
+492|3422
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta … ws-updates

the president just retweeted a video in which, within the first 5 seconds, an old guy shouts 'white power!' and raises his fist. lmao.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

This Tweet is unavailable.
Wonder if it was twitter or the Trump team that took it down.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
President Donald Trump wanted to thank his supporters Sunday morning, and did so by retweeting a video that included one of them shouting “white power.” Trump expressed his thanks to the “the great people of The Villages,” a community in Florida, where supporters of the president apparently held a golf cart parade in his honor and verbally clashed with protesters who lined up on their route. The first bit of the video shows protesters yelling “racist” at a couple driving in a golf cart with a “Trump 2020” and “America First” signs. The man driving the golf cart gives a thumbs up and yells back, “White power!” The man protesting seems to see that as a recognition that his racist label is accurate, “There you go, white power.”
https://twitter.com/davenewworld_2/stat … 58720?s=20

Video

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2020-06-28 09:06:48)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Larssen wrote:

Influence =/= robbing, I took issue with that choice of words
We borrowed their beats, they culturally appropriated the idea of wearing clothes.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/51/09/c0/5109c014ac84be70028131f723c15283.jpg

Have some fucking respect.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-06-30 02:39:23)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Uzique would call Carlton an Uncle Tom.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard