uziq
+492|3450
mormons are good honest stock. the simple children of the christian flock. no sophisticated prots with a long history of mercantile capitalism. they are young lambs.
Larssen
+99|1885
His social conservatism aside, Romney would in many ways have been a good president.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6103|eXtreme to the maX
God decided to put Trump in his place.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6629|949

Larssen wrote:

His social conservatism aside, Romney would in many ways have been a good president.
Mitt Romney was the CEO of Bain Capital, a predatory private equity group that has quite literally bankrupted many companies. He is a fucking leech. We need LESS neoliberal, pro-big money politicans, not more.
uziq
+492|3450
i think larssen is a pretty institutionalised sort. he probably cried when hillary lost and still thinks she did nothing wrong.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5355|London, England
My buddy is a senior partner at Bain. He has a nice house
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6629|949

do you wish you could be him?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
No, he travels all the time and spends nearly every waking minute working. I like my life
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6629|949

never understood why some people romanticize traveling for work. It is not fun.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Agreed. I like sleeping in my own bed every night.
-Frederick Bastiat
Larssen
+99|1885
I'm a consultant I don't hate my people

Anyway, Bain probably did destroy a number of companies but that happens every once in a while in venture capital. Sometimes businesses are also split up and sold ( & fail) for temporary stock boosts &  shareholder gain. Not the most savory business practices, I agree, but what can you do.

I feel romney would've been a good president by virtue of the fact that he's undeniably a rather smart individual who has some of the better religious qualities to him. Yes perhaps 'more of the same old', but he would have been an improvement over the neocons preceding him, seemed to subscribe some very 'leftist' ideas and would definitely have been better than the crazy we're dealing with now.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6629|949

not probably. They did. I specifically mentioned and criticized their private equity dealings, not venture capital- are you familiar with their MO? They saddle the purchased company for debt, gut and sell the assets and make a tidy profit. Less "not savory" and more "fucking leech" in my opinion. No need to couch the criticism in such docile tones. They are predatory, accelerated capitalists. This practice should be outlawed, not dismissed as a cost of doing business.
Larssen
+99|1885
They do both, VC can have the same consequences/exhibit the same behaviours.

I'm not going to defend it, but I'm struggling to see what laws on this issue would look like.
uziq
+492|3450
several times now you have defended the more predatory and morally questionable aspects of capitalism (whether it's big tech or now big consultancies) as 'making a law against it sounds complicated'. quite an interesting take, i suppose.

enforcing competition laws? sounds complex! let's not.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6629|949

They definitely do both, and i have my own criticisms of VC funding, but PE firms are an especially vile bunch.

Simple - don't let PE firms saddle a newly acquired company with the debt they used to buy the firm in the first place, or if you do, don't allow the PE firms to transfer payments back to the holding corp until after the debt is serviced in full.

Your comment re: "its bad but I just don't know how to fix it" is such a basic, nonsense argument coming from a self-described consultant. Which is a nice segue in to my next comment-

uziq wrote:

pretty amusing long-read on buttigieg

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2019/03/all-about-pete
I don't think this author likes Buttigieg that much lol. I think he hits the criticism right on the head, and amplifies a core issue I have with the American electoral process- the acceptance and promotion of candidates based on checking demographic boxes, focus group feedback and market-testing as opposed to history, track records and quantifiable policy implementations. I can't help but chuckle at Pete using his ability to install 'smart' sensors in the South Bend water system as an example of something concrete he's done. How progressive indeed! It literally reads like someone sitting for a job interview:

"Tell me about a time you were able to identify an issue and resolve it."

"I identified the inefficiency of the local water system, and oversaw the successful roll out of 'smart' water meters that provided real-time data points for us to better optimize the water system, which in turn minimized shrinkage and allowed us to focus previously allocated manpower on more value-added tasks."

foh
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Some of what they do is beneficial. It's like clearing dead brush from a forest before it can start a fire. If someone had played activist shareholder for GM or Ford, maybe they wouldn't have needed a bailout.

The stereotype is Gecko in Wall Street. The reality is usually less sleazy.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3450

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

They definitely do both, and i have my own criticisms of VC funding, but PE firms are an especially vile bunch.

Simple - don't let PE firms saddle a newly acquired company with the debt they used to buy the firm in the first place, or if you do, don't allow the PE firms to transfer payments back to the holding corp until after the debt is serviced in full.

Your comment re: "its bad but I just don't know how to fix it" is such a basic, nonsense argument coming from a self-described consultant. Which is a nice segue in to my next comment-

uziq wrote:

pretty amusing long-read on buttigieg

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2019/03/all-about-pete
I don't think this author likes Buttigieg that much lol. I think he hits the criticism right on the head, and amplifies a core issue I have with the American electoral process- the acceptance and promotion of candidates based on checking demographic boxes, focus group feedback and market-testing as opposed to history, track records and quantifiable policy implementations. I can't help but chuckle at Pete using his ability to install 'smart' sensors in the South Bend water system as an example of something concrete he's done. How progressive indeed!
i think it also nails a very salient point when it asks why a person with the world's best education, a rhodes scholarship, and the ability to do literally anything in their life ... then chooses to go and work for a consultancy like mckinsey for a few years. it says a lot about a person.

everyone i know at pwc or kpmg or so on, now they're approaching 30 and the excitement of big earnings has worn off, are like hollow men.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6629|949

I don't condemn someone for choosing a cushy job after spending much of their twenties getting an education. Sure, mckinsey as a consulting firm acts incredibly unethical, but I can't hold a doe-eyed virgin worker accountable for the company's failings. I think Butt's focus (as the author of that article repeatedly points out)- on himself, on the big 'L' Liberal ideals and ideas as a divining rod- and deep lack of perspective is more telling. Even more so because he tries to paint himself as this perspicacious savant with the ability to just like, prescribe medication for the festering wounds of America.
Larssen
+99|1885
I'm not in PE or VC. I mostly work with the public sector doing all manners of security stuff. Saying 'I don't know how to fix it' is honesty - I don't like mouthing off about things I know very little about. The little I do know tells me it's a bit more complicated than just 'enforcing competition laws'.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
At least Romney is a successful asshole, whereas Trump has failed multiple times even at being an asshole.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
I think there are plenty of senators who would have hit the impeach Trump switch in order to get Pence if they knew there would be no personal consequences for it. Romney, like McCain before him, has the reputation and financial resources to not have to cower to what reasonable people know is a weak man.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Larssen
+99|1885

uziq wrote:

everyone i know at pwc or kpmg or so on, now they're approaching 30 and the excitement of big earnings has worn off, are like hollow men.
The consulting market is oversaturated, most young people will be overworked and not paid as amazingly as they thought/hoped they would be.

Partners are raking in ridiculous sums though. I believe they averaged 600k at deloitte in my country last year.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-02-06 14:50:34)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6629|949

Larssen wrote:

uziq wrote:

The consulting market is oversaturated, most young people will be overworked and not paid as amazingly as they thought/hoped they would be.

Partners are raking in ridiculous sums though. I believe they averaged 600k at deloitte in my country last year.
they still pay very well, and consultant firms are the key pipeline to executive positions. Consulting firms are a good example of the MBA-type mentality infecting corporations. Lots of short-term goals implemented at the detriment of long term stability.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The metric is whether they make money though, and they do.
Maybe the metric should be if everyone makes money, hard to do though.
Maybe there should be higher costs to firing people and moving business offshore.

And as I've pointed out before, its not just MBA courses which fail to instill ethics in people.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-02-06 16:49:24)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
Anyway Bernie won the Iowa caucus. And going back to the Clinton era, every democrat who wins Iowa goes onto win the entire primary. "Past results are no guarantee of future outcomes". Okay, sure. But he raised way more money for the campaign than any other democrat and he has a base of supporters who are as fanatical as the Trump people. I think he and Mayor Peter have the best shot at Trump in a general election.

so assuming he doesn't just die because old

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/018/379/378.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard