KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6592|949

funnily enough, it's much like the free market in general - will only self-regulate after all other options are exhausted, and then proponents will point and say, "See, it figures itself out!"
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6736|Moscow, Russia

uziq wrote:

the guy [jordan peterson] regularly rallies against 'the left' and 'cultural marxists' but has evidently never read a left-wing text in his life. he backed out of a debate with slavoj zizek and a few other left-wing intellectuals recently, and then claimed in public that 'the marxists won't meet with me'. too bad half the sources started posting screenshots of email conversations with peterson's agent/secretary turning down all their requests/invitations to debate. a typical shill. to be honest a debate between peterson and marxist philosophers would be incredibly dull, in any case, as after about 10 minutes it would become painfully obvious that he had not done the reading. like all right-wing populists 'the left' is merely a bogeyman term to incense and rally people. ironically most of his actual critiques of liberalism and campus culture are the same critiques that the left have been making for decades, e.g. identity politics, privileging of the individual/groupuscule over class and community, etc...
i'm now 15 minutes into an actual debate that happened recently between peterson and zizek. zizek hasn't even started speaking yet and it's already obvious that peterson had not done the reading. pathetic.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
uziq
+492|3412
zizek didn’t even turn up to that debate. he just pulled some performative ‘not taking part in the symbol order’ lacanian trick and jammed the whole signal. not particularly edifying.

but you’re right that peterson has never has much more than a superficial and parodic understanding of marxism, and it would have been a tactical mistake for zizek to assume the ‘patient explanation’ route. too many opportunities for peterson to snipe and pander to his audience with the same rolling-eyes look-at-this-caricature-marxist routine.

but yes, that post back then was pretty spot on. zizek and peterson did seem to be almost in agreement about their critiques of liberalism and identity politics.

Last edited by uziq (2019-04-26 12:35:35)

Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6736|Moscow, Russia
tbh, i thought zizek would eat peterson alive, and was surprised when he decided not to - or maybe he didn't plan to at all? i dunno, but then again, quite often letting the likes of peterson talk is the best way to defeat them - simply by letting them do it themselves. after thirty minutes of peterson articulating his ignorance in the matters of the debate, zizek was, basically, free to use the rest of it for anything he wanted to.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680
The NYC/LA bourgeoisie liberal media companies are so out of touch with regular Americans that they are supporting a gay mayor for president.

If we get stuck with 4 more years of Trump because homosexuals Anderson Cooper and Don Lemon on CNN have a crush on a gay mayor then we deserve what we get.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6645|United States of America
Is it the media or the Democratic party (inb4 there's no difference)? It does concern me that Democrats shoot themselves in the foot by focusing on stuff like gays/immigrants instead of economic inequality. Even without pandering to them, it's not like many in the gay community will vote for a Republican instead. There's the good<>neither good nor bad<>bad continuum where you can be "not bad" and still get votes if your opponent is that.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680

DesertFox- wrote:

Is it the media or the Democratic party (inb4 there's no difference)? It does concern me that Democrats shoot themselves in the foot by focusing on stuff like gays/immigrants instead of economic inequality. Even without pandering to them, it's not like many in the gay community will vote for a Republican instead. There's the good<>neither good nor bad<>bad continuum where you can be "not bad" and still get votes if your opponent is that.
It's the media. If it wasn't for CNN, no one outside of Indiana would know who the gay mayor is.  A lot of democrats and even Obama voters aren't into the identity politics stuff as much as CNN and twitter people want you to think they are.

You are from Trumpland. Do you think people are going to like a gay man telling them they need to accept trannies into their bathrooms and schools?
DesertFox-
Perhaps. He has gotten a lot more attention than several of the other, more national figures who announced they are running. I have seen some critical talk imagining how quick the responsibilities grow from being the mayor of Indiana's 4th largest city to being the goddamn president.

In general, I seem to think most normal people don't give any shits about bathroom bill stuff except Republican politicians and internet edgelords. It affects such a small subset of the population. I doing think he's running as a terribly liberal candidate, is he? I can't answer you question, though, because I grew up in the the first or second bluest part of the state and in the outskirts of Chicagoland.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6592|949

It's very clear the DNC does not want Bernie to win. They are throwing everything at the wall (in the form of candidates) and seeing who sticks.  Buttigeig is just the latest example.

I find it incredibly disheartening that after the failure of Hillary Clinton in 2016 and the rise of the progressive left, the DNC's response is to move further to the center of the American political spectrum.  It will be the downfall of the Democratic Party. Meanwhile, the RNC consolidates and gloms on to their latest dusty crumb.
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6674|Purplicious Wisconsin
DNC moving to the center is their only practical hope of surviving.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6592|949

Warman you literally follow idiot youtube bloggers to form your political opinions. Your opinion on the DNC is worthless.  A few months ago you were calling them the racist party. You're a dolt.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680

War Man wrote:

People said the same thing about the Republicans in 2015.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5318|London, England

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

It's very clear the DNC does not want Bernie to win. They are throwing everything at the wall (in the form of candidates) and seeing who sticks.  Buttigeig is just the latest example.

I find it incredibly disheartening that after the failure of Hillary Clinton in 2016 and the rise of the progressive left, the DNC's response is to move further to the center of the American political spectrum.  It will be the downfall of the Democratic Party. Meanwhile, the RNC consolidates and gloms on to their latest dusty crumb.
How are they moving to the center? So far I've seen free college, free healthcare, slavery reparations, higher taxes on the rich, open borders, green new deals... if anything they moved past Bernie to the point he sounds centrist.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
War Man

SuperJail Warden wrote:

War Man wrote:

Luckily for Republicans, Democrats moved further left to make Republicans look better.

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Warman you literally follow idiot youtube bloggers to form your political opinions. Your opinion on the DNC is worthless.  A few months ago you were calling them the racist party. You're a dolt.
Have you even bothered watching any of them to justify judging them so? Also, I do not rely them solely to form my own opinions. As for DNC being a racist party, I still consider them one.

Last edited by War Man (2019-04-29 11:28:16)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6592|949

Jay wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

How are they moving to the center? So far I've seen free college, free healthcare, slavery reparations, higher taxes on the rich, open borders, green new deals... if anything they moved past Bernie to the point he sounds centrist.
Can you say any of those are the DNC position? You are taking outlier candidates (people the DNC does not want to win, like Warren and Bernie) and using those positions as the DNC platform.  Establishment Dems like Biden and Harris and Booker do not espouse any of those positions.

Look at the last town hall on CNN as evidence of where the Dems want to go - hatred and loaded questions for Bernie, softballs for any others.  It's blatantly obvious.  The town hall was filled with self-described CENTRISTS at Harvard.

Literally no one has advocated for open borders. One house rep has advocated for the green new deal in any serious way. No need to regurgitate nonsense that you read, it makes you sound stupid.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6592|949

War Man wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

War Man wrote:

Luckily for Republicans, Democrats moved further left to make Republicans look better.

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Have you even bothered watching any of them to justify judging them so? Also, I do not rely them solely to form my own opinions. As for DNC being a racist party, I still consider them one.
I don't watch stupid people on youtube, no. I don't need to, and me not listening to idiots yelling in to their camera doesn't make me less informed.  I also don't listen to my dog when try to find something to watch on TV.  There is a reason people like Ben Shapiro and Jordan Peterson only exist on youtube and other marginal platforms. It's because the only people that will consider taking them seriously are chuds like you, and maybe Jay since he needs to be told to clean his room.
War Man
I don't watch Ben Shapiro or Jordan Peterson, don't care for either of those two.

Last edited by War Man (2019-04-29 12:09:10)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Jay wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Can you say any of those are the DNC position? You are taking outlier candidates (people the DNC does not want to win, like Warren and Bernie) and using those positions as the DNC platform.  Establishment Dems like Biden and Harris and Booker do not espouse any of those positions.

Look at the last town hall on CNN as evidence of where the Dems want to go - hatred and loaded questions for Bernie, softballs for any others.  It's blatantly obvious.  The town hall was filled with self-described CENTRISTS at Harvard.

Literally no one has advocated for open borders. One house rep has advocated for the green new deal in any serious way. No need to regurgitate nonsense that you read, it makes you sound stupid.
I listen to a lot of CNN. They are overly critical of Bernie it seems at times. Almost as bad as they go over the top with Trump who deserves it at least.

It seems CNN wants a homo as America's leader and is hostile to anyone saying otherwise. This is literally the closest I have ever seen something become the gay agenda.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5318|London, England

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Jay wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Harris has taken all of those positions.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6066|eXtreme to the maX

SuperJail Warden wrote:

It seems CNN wants a homo as America's leader and is hostile to anyone saying otherwise. This is literally the closest I have ever seen something become the gay agenda.
There is a gay agenda amongst the left, gay 'rights' are at the top of their priority list for some reason.

Thanks for the AIDS epidemic guys, next we'll have PrEP resistant AIDS thanks to their perverted lifestyle and agenda.

Maybe its the anti-Hitler syndrome, everything Hitler disliked must be good right?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6592|949

Jay wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Jay wrote:

Harris has taken all of those positions.
no she hasn't.  She's pro debt free college (whatever that means). She was an original co sponsor of the Green New Deal.  I'll give you that. How much debt did you have when you graduated?  Classic Jay, wanting to pull the ladder up after he's ascended.

Isn't open borders a libertarian position (i.e. one which would be associated more with the conservatives/tea party than with the left)? Literally NO ONE in the Dem party supports this position, and your inclusion of it shows how much you swallow conservative propaganda.  Especially because a true libertarian would be welcoming open borders - after all, if capital can move freely without restriction, what should stop labor? It's the FREEEEE (reeee reeee reee) market!

Higher taxes on the rich is a standard dem position - not at all radical.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6066|eXtreme to the maX
What I like most about American politics is how how neither side bothers to read the actual manifesto of the other side, or actually study the real position and public statements of specific candidates, preferring to get their information about the other side from their own side.

A really mature way to gather information and take decisions.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6592|949

It's actually a very Republican thing you are witnessing.  That's what happens when one party stakes it's future on obfuscation, propaganda and the ignorance of it's voters.  There could be 1000 think pieces on the psychology of voting against your own interests, and the ability of the right to prompt their voters to do just that.

At it's core, the Republican party supports market intervention, big business, big government, government handouts and racist policies while convincing their voters they are free-market, out for the little guy, egalitarian politicians who just want the government to be hands off! I would be ashamed to be a member of either the Repub or Dem Party, but the Dems have Trump to hate together so they tend to get people under their wings just for that.

Our politics can be essentially boiled down to the Anti-Trump or Anti-Left Party.  It's so pathetic it hurts.
DesertFox-
I don't approve of your use of double-spacing following a period.

EDIT: Until very recently, I don't think the Democratic party made large strides to be much other than Diet Republicans. Maybe that's why former congresses were more productive with regard to legislation, but they quite readily on board with War on Drugs, War on Terror, and the like until they sensed there was an electoral advantage to not be.

Last edited by DesertFox- (2019-04-29 18:15:07)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680
It sucks that if you want universal healthcare if this country you also need to go along with allowing trannies in bathrooms.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard