Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England

DesertFox- wrote:

Jay wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

I suspect Jay misinterpreted my motivations for criticizing the tax cuts, which is why his response was that I was jealous and/or should ask for a raise or get a better job. As I stated, I'm perfectly happy with my job (which reminds me, I still have some pictures from my Euro business trip I should share) and compensation for me as a single twentysomething, as I know it's above average. My debts consist of $1900 at 0% interest on a car compared to my friends still paying student loans, so I also am aware my financial situation is far rosier than a lot of my peers.

My criticism is not coming as a "well I should've gotten more!" view. I don't want to ask for a raise because the company got a tax break. I want everyone to get a raise so they can actually have a reasonable standard of living. My qualms, as described by others above, are that it is economically unjustifiable to give breaks to the exceptionally rich. The wealth gap has starkly increased over the last half century and the average Joe is worse off. This is where I would cue the Baby Boomers talking about how they worked summers to pay for college and then graduated and bought a house.
The wealth gap doesn't matter. If anything it's good because it keeps inflation down. You're worried about affordable housing, yes? Give everyone an extra $2000 per year and yeah, they can buy more stuff, but prices will go up because demand went up. You end up back at square one.

As far as baby boomers buying houses for cheap. Yeah, that was possible when they were converting farmland near established city into suburbs. The automobile allowed that to happen, but only one time. The issue now is that zoning laws have become outrageous because the people who live there now do everything in their power to protect the property value of their home. (Can you blame them?) But it means severe limits on multi-family housing, severe restrictions on building apartment buildings, height limits, minimum lot sizes, traffic studies, environmental studies, etc.

I apologize if I was a bit over the top, I was having fun with it. I'm sure you're doing your best. Just stop bitching about the rich, they aren't taking money out of your pocket, the government is.
You keep talking to me as if the solution is for me to get more money, despite my saying I don't need more money. I grant you that I would not say no if employers collectively decided to adjust pay so workers are getting a fairer shake. The wealth gap is not good because people working at what we decided should be the minimum wage live in poverty, while again the super rich get to hoard more than anyone could hope to need. It's not good for society. Even with a modest marginal rate increase, you'd still have absurdly wealthy billionaires, but some of the money could be applied to actually be useful via education, infrastructure, etc.

Your housing argument doesn't really make sense, either. Demand has remained the same, but an extra $2k would only make things more
affordable. I don't know why you're talking about suburbanization in the '50s, either, since I'm talking about the wealth gap since about the '70s.

The rich aren't taking money out of my pocket, they're taking money out of all of our pockets (and the government's by fighting tooth and nail to avoid taxes), which is clearly evident by the way the wealth gap has worsened. Again, I don't give a fuck if they toss me a $1500 tax break while giving themselves millions. It's not jealousy. It's an awful policy for a government that hasn't learned the lessons of Brownbackistan. I like when government is actually somewhat able to function and provide services. This sort of "fuck you, got mine" attitude is among the most infuriating self-delusions in recent history.
When you raise the minimum wage, you raise the floor on prices. Companies have to raise prices to compensate for the increase in the wages they have to pay. Low margin companies like McDonald's pay way more in labor costs than materials costs. That $5 Big Mac probably costs them $0.50 in materials (the meat, cheese etc), $1.00 in rent and $3.00 in labor costs (I don't work for McDonald's and am completely making numbers up to illustrate this point). You have to take into account their supply chain labor as well, the truck drivers, the accountants, etc. So you raise their labor costs and prices naturally have to rise in response. This causes inflation.

The same workers that make minimum wage tend to shop at places that also pay their workers minimum wage because it's what they can afford. So now that worker that just got bumped up to $15/hr will see prices rise across the board which over time will put them right back where they started.

We live in a stratified economy. There's really no getting around this. While individual examples can obviously be pulled and scrutinized, wages generally reflect rarity of skillset and demand for that skill. Unskilled labor will always be at the bottom of the pyramid because it is theoretically the easiest to replace, whether by another person or by a machine. If you can be trained to do your job in half a shift, you are unskilled labor, and you are almost completely fungible.

The problem with raising the floor is that it really fucks it up for everyone that was above them. I'm talking about the middle class, not the rich, the rich are largely immune to pricing pressures. If the old minimum wage was $7 and it's raised to $15, everyone that was making $20/hr and living semi-comfortably is now fucked because they have higher prices to deal with and more competition for, and upward pressure on pricing for, things like housing.

As for the wealth gap, it was trending downward until LBJ's Great Society and War on Poverty became the law of the land. With the trillions of dollars we've spent, everyone should have a house and a full 2 car garage at this point. All government programs do is treat the symptoms, poorly, while leaving the underlying issues unaddressed. San Francisco just passed a corporate tax that will raise something like $200M more than they currently receive to help the 7,500 homeless people living there. They are already spending $300M+ on the issue. That works out to over $50,000 spent per year on each homeless person in the city. How much of that money do you think actually reaches the people on the streets? Almost none. It gets eaten up in the bureaucracy by social workers making $100k a year to provide bullshit classes, or conduct surveys, or to the sanitation workers cleaning up human feces off the street, or paying to treat addiction. The dirty secret for nearly every government agency is that they have no desire to actually address the issue they are assigned. If they are successful, they lose their job. If they are unsuccessful, they can demand more money, because just a little bit more will go a long way. The same goes for education. Teachers do a shit job and scores are pitiful? They need more money! Meanwhile they're making above average salaries with bulletproof pensions and working 8 1/2 months of the year while the school administrators are making $350k+. But hey, they all get election day off as a holiday so they can vote themselves more money, so it's all good.

So now we have higher taxes, more parasitic government workers, and we have a "wealth gap" because the poor are kept in poverty by government programs. There's a reason that every city and state run by the very people who run on these issues every election cycle have it the worst - the people they are electing really don't care, they just want your vote and are willing to destroy your life to maintain their own parasitic lifestyle.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

google and facebook are so beholden to 'lefty belief' that they don't cut staff? those silicon valley companies sound like horrible places to work. the cult of google in san fran sounds like a libertarian-capitalist dystopia. beholden to 'lefty' belief? what exactly is cuddly and lefty and pro-labour about the stanford–silicon valley axis? here's me thinking they're all sub-peter thiel/elizabeth holmes sociopaths with hard-ons for ayn rand and nick land.

how did you jump from pillorying the 'over-subscribed' careers, where margins are low, to 'everyone wants to be kardashian'. aren't they two different things? i can't make any sense out of any of your arguments lately. you're ossifying.
Among the startup crowd, there's a very large get-rich-quick-fuck-everyone-else ethos, yes. Among the established companies, Twitter, Google, Apple, Facebook, they've been browbeaten into submission and now consider themselves to moralistic agents. They've had a series of walkouts recently demanding more diversity of staff, repudiation of government military contracts, safeguards against hate speech etc.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

I've frankly just been exposed to too many whiny columns, blogs etc. written by millenials who blame things like the gap between the rich and the poor for all of life's ills.
There is some element of this, but it doesn't cover the whole issue. I don't agree with the 'millenials are all snowflakes' line boomers peddle.

Journalism and media influencer are almost all thats left for someone who doesn't have a specific in-demand skill.
IBM, Ford etc don't swallow up tens of thousands of generic graduates every year to sit in cubicles, drink coffee and hold pointless meetings with each other, everything is that much leaner and many of the opportunities and cushy careers boomers could snooze through and still get a great lifestyle and comfy retirement out of are gone forever.
The boomer generation has offshored and improved the efficiencies of industries to the point entire industries have gone abroad and multiple tiers of management have ceased to exist. America does not make TVs any more, apart from the manufacturing which is obviously gone all the development and R+D is also gone, same for many other industries.
Banking is largely automated, I think I've spoken to a bank employee about twice in the last decade whereas 30 years ago it was at least a weekly event.
Yes, but new jobs have replaced the old ones. There are many more jobs in tech, and the vast majority don't involve programming. Entire corporate bureaucracies have sprung up within Google, Facebook etc. They are no longer lean startups, and they make so much money and are so beholden to lefty belief that they won't cut staff until they face bankruptcy.

We're at near universal employment, so there are plenty of decent jobs out there, they just might not be the sexy ones. The ones that have the time to whine online are also the ones trying to pile into the sexy jobs that pay shit because there's so much demand for the positions and very low margins.

At the same time, the old classic trades are facing a severe shortage, even though the pay is high. There's just too many people who grew up thinking they deserved to be a Kardashian and want the life without putting in the work.
THE TRADES FUCKING SUCK. I used to be in the trades. No one in the trades wants their kids to go into the trades.

You ever notice how it is always people who were never in the trades suggesting people go into them?
I work with tradesmen every day. Once they catch on with a company they make a nice living. If they keep getting bounced back to the hall, it sucks. But if they're getting bounced all the time it's mostly because they suck. Add in the overtime and the holiday pay and it's easy to clear $100k/yr as a laborer.
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

Yes, but new jobs have replaced the old ones. There are many more jobs in tech, and the vast majority don't involve programming. Entire corporate bureaucracies have sprung up within Google, Facebook etc. They are no longer lean startups, and they make so much money and are so beholden to lefty belief that they won't cut staff until they face bankruptcy.

We're at near universal employment, so there are plenty of decent jobs out there, they just might not be the sexy ones. The ones that have the time to whine online are also the ones trying to pile into the sexy jobs that pay shit because there's so much demand for the positions and very low margins.

At the same time, the old classic trades are facing a severe shortage, even though the pay is high. There's just too many people who grew up thinking they deserved to be a Kardashian and want the life without putting in the work.
THE TRADES FUCKING SUCK. I used to be in the trades. No one in the trades wants their kids to go into the trades.

You ever notice how it is always people who were never in the trades suggesting people go into them?
I work with tradesmen every day. Once they catch on with a company they make a nice living. If they keep getting bounced back to the hall, it sucks. But if they're getting bounced all the time it's mostly because they suck. Add in the overtime and the holiday pay and it's easy to clear $100k/yr as a laborer.
The only tradesmen you probably know are the people who help you install HVAC units. The vast majority of tradespeople do not make close to that. The average trade person is not going to make near double the U.S. median income. I only ever knew two techs, both older baby boomers, who cleared over $100,000. One of them was the foreman. The dozens upon dozens of other techs made shit wages while sacrificing their bodies and health.

Like I said, I never met anyone who after a day covered in oil and sweat said "I want my kids to grow up just like me".
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

The only tradesmen you probably know are the people who help you install HVAC units. The vast majority of tradespeople do not make close to that. The average trade person is not going to make near double the U.S. median income. I only ever knew two techs, both older baby boomers, who cleared over $100,000. One of them was the foreman. The dozens upon dozens of other techs made shit wages while sacrificing their bodies and health.

Like I said, I never met anyone who after a day covered in oil and sweat said "I want my kids to grow up just like me".
https://comptroller.nyc.gov/wp-content/ … 7-2018.pdf

Carpenters make $50/hr
Electricians make $56/hr
Laborers make $41.50/hr
Painters make $42.50/hr
Plumbers make $67.25/hr

If they are non-union working on a prevailing wage job, tack on about $30/hr more for each of them. They're responsible for their own health insurance etc though.

Last edited by Jay (2018-11-09 17:31:33)

-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

no, bloggers didn't consider themselves 'journalists' in the 90s and 00s and social media pundits don't consider themselves 'journalists' today.

if anyone is misusing the term it's the alt-light spectrum of youtube commentators and breitbart writers. that's not journalism.
No doubt the Guild of Typewriter Artisans fought tooth and nail to preserve their expertise, everyone has a computer now and can word-process their own memos and roneo them themselves.
Its a dead art and journalism is fast going that way too, no-one is willing to pay for it.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

Carpenters make $50/hr
Electricians make $56/hr
Laborers make $41.50/hr
Painters make $42.50/hr
Plumbers make $67.25/hr

If they are non-union working on a prevailing wage job, tack on about $30/hr more for each of them. They're responsible for their own health insurance etc though.
Workers, Laborers and Mechanics employed on a public work project must receive not less than
the prevailing rate of wage and benefits for the classification of work performed by each upon such
public work. Pursuant to Labor Law §220 the Comptroller of the City of New York has promulgated this
schedule solely for Workers, Laborers and Mechanics engaged by private contractors on New York City
public work contracts.
government wages. weren't you just bitching about how much government workers make?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

ironically it's the kids or grandkids of trade who are most likely trying to climb up the greasy pole into being journalists or architects or some other job with social prestige that now pays peanuts and relies on free internships.
https://mises.org/library/when-rich-fam … capitalism
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Carpenters make $50/hr
Electricians make $56/hr
Laborers make $41.50/hr
Painters make $42.50/hr
Plumbers make $67.25/hr

Workers, Laborers and Mechanics employed on a public work project must receive not less than
the prevailing rate of wage and benefits for the classification of work performed by each upon such
public work. Pursuant to Labor Law §220 the Comptroller of the City of New York has promulgated this
schedule solely for Workers, Laborers and Mechanics engaged by private contractors on New York City
public work contracts.
government wages. weren't you just bitching about how much government workers make?
Those are the wages on any job employing union labor. Every government project employs workers at the prevailing wage, whether the worker is union or not.
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

Carpenters make $50/hr
Electricians make $56/hr
Laborers make $41.50/hr
Painters make $42.50/hr
Plumbers make $67.25/hr

public work contracts.
Those are the wages on any job employing union labor. Every government project employs workers at the prevailing wage, whether the worker is union or not.
so these are inflated unionized wages. don't you hate those too?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

so these are inflated unionized wages. don't you hate those too?
No, not really. They can charge that much because so few American born people go into the trades. Laborers are all Portuguese or Jamaican. I wouldn't want to be a member of a union personally, because when everyone is getting paid the same it removes motivation to excel. The only leverage management has is throwing the useless back to the union hall, but they have no say on who the replacement will be, it could be even worse.

Last edited by Jay (2018-11-09 17:52:07)

-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
And what about the NYC teacher unions? Are you cool with them too?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

And what about the NYC teacher unions? Are you cool with them too?
I think most of them mean well. I have issues with public sector unions in general though, because there is no check on their wage growth and they are paid directly out of taxes. There's also no real way to fire bad teachers. There's no oversight or accountability. I can throw a laborer off my site permanently if he fucks up. Teachers get transferred or sent to rubber rooms for years before arbitration.
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
I am a member of a teacher's union and it doesn't mean everyone only does the bare minimum. You still have a lot of young people volunteering for assignments and extras at work. They want to move up in the organization and get skills needed to move into admin. Still have lots of old teachers filling in roles as junior admin or mentoring junior teachers. Bad teachers still get fired, and every teacher gets multiple in class observations. That is on top of the paper work requirements to make sure you are doing everything by the letter of the law.

Something I don't think you and many other privately employed people understand is how working for an institution works as opposed to working for whoever owns your company's pocketbook. A school system is an institution with traditions, history, hierarchy, process etc. The people who get into the system look out for it and the other people in it. You work in a dog eat dog world where it is still a war of all against all. You really don't know how shitty it is until you get out of it. I think most privately employed people are just jealous that they have to live in constant fear.
uziq
+492|3450

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

no, bloggers didn't consider themselves 'journalists' in the 90s and 00s and social media pundits don't consider themselves 'journalists' today.

if anyone is misusing the term it's the alt-light spectrum of youtube commentators and breitbart writers. that's not journalism.
No doubt the Guild of Typewriter Artisans fought tooth and nail to preserve their expertise, everyone has a computer now and can word-process their own memos and roneo them themselves.
Its a dead art and journalism is fast going that way too, no-one is willing to pay for it.
you’re talking about it as if it’s some quaint old skill like loom weaving or something. pretty sure that being trained to be a good reporter is not going to be made obsolete because of buzzfeed and trump.

journalism is one of the institutions of a properly functioning democracy — like a free press and the open exchange of ideas in publishing, which are related to it. they are institutional checks on power and crucial to the open exchange of ideas and information. it’s not an outmoded technology or a niche interest defended by hipsters.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_Estate
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I don't live in fear. I'm good at my job and I'm diversified. I do my day job and own a side business doing mechanical, electrical and plumbing design. Sometimes it's a lot of work, but its comfortable and my kids have everything they want and need. If the entire construction industry shit the bed my side business would probably dry up, but my day job would be safe.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

you’re talking about it as if it’s some quaint old skill like loom weaving or something. pretty sure that being trained to be a good reporter is not going to be made obsolete because of buzzfeed and trump.

journalism is one of the institutions of a properly functioning democracy — like a free press and the open exchange of ideas in publishing, which are related to it. they are institutional checks on power and crucial to the open exchange of ideas and information. it’s not an outmoded technology or a niche interest defended by hipsters.

Journalism majors are near the bottom for SAT scores.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3450

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

ironically it's the kids or grandkids of trade who are most likely trying to climb up the greasy pole into being journalists or architects or some other job with social prestige that now pays peanuts and relies on free internships.
https://mises.org/library/when-rich-fam … capitalism
it’s called social and cultural capital, jay. everyone is aware of this. it’s not ‘hating capitalism’. there are forms of social esteem and prestige above earning $50 an hour to paint a wall and own a nice spread in the burbs. being educated and doing a job in an esteemed profession is desirable. having a lot of cash and being an illiterate redneck isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. the game has traditionally been that you acquire wealth so that your grandkids can accumulate the non-monetary capital. im sure there are electricians who make more than judges. but who is regarded higher?
uziq
+492|3450

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Journalism majors are near the bottom for SAT scores.
you give away your shit-tier education again and again and again. journalism majors are shit-tier. just like 'law majors'. you get a good major at a good university and then go to journalism school for graduate school. you can major in a 4-year law undergraduate LLB as well but it doesn't mean shit. you go to law school. if you weren't such a hopeless low-class pleb you'd know this process intimately.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6683|United States of America

Jay wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

Jay wrote:

The wealth gap doesn't matter. If anything it's good because it keeps inflation down. You're worried about affordable housing, yes? Give everyone an extra $2000 per year and yeah, they can buy more stuff, but prices will go up because demand went up. You end up back at square one.

As far as baby boomers buying houses for cheap. Yeah, that was possible when they were converting farmland near established city into suburbs. The automobile allowed that to happen, but only one time. The issue now is that zoning laws have become outrageous because the people who live there now do everything in their power to protect the property value of their home. (Can you blame them?) But it means severe limits on multi-family housing, severe restrictions on building apartment buildings, height limits, minimum lot sizes, traffic studies, environmental studies, etc.

I apologize if I was a bit over the top, I was having fun with it. I'm sure you're doing your best. Just stop bitching about the rich, they aren't taking money out of your pocket, the government is.
You keep talking to me as if the solution is for me to get more money, despite my saying I don't need more money. I grant you that I would not say no if employers collectively decided to adjust pay so workers are getting a fairer shake. The wealth gap is not good because people working at what we decided should be the minimum wage live in poverty, while again the super rich get to hoard more than anyone could hope to need. It's not good for society. Even with a modest marginal rate increase, you'd still have absurdly wealthy billionaires, but some of the money could be applied to actually be useful via education, infrastructure, etc.

Your housing argument doesn't really make sense, either. Demand has remained the same, but an extra $2k would only make things more
affordable. I don't know why you're talking about suburbanization in the '50s, either, since I'm talking about the wealth gap since about the '70s.

The rich aren't taking money out of my pocket, they're taking money out of all of our pockets (and the government's by fighting tooth and nail to avoid taxes), which is clearly evident by the way the wealth gap has worsened. Again, I don't give a fuck if they toss me a $1500 tax break while giving themselves millions. It's not jealousy. It's an awful policy for a government that hasn't learned the lessons of Brownbackistan. I like when government is actually somewhat able to function and provide services. This sort of "fuck you, got mine" attitude is among the most infuriating self-delusions in recent history.
When you raise the minimum wage, you raise the floor on prices. Companies have to raise prices to compensate for the increase in the wages they have to pay. Low margin companies like McDonald's pay way more in labor costs than materials costs. That $5 Big Mac probably costs them $0.50 in materials (the meat, cheese etc), $1.00 in rent and $3.00 in labor costs (I don't work for McDonald's and am completely making numbers up to illustrate this point). You have to take into account their supply chain labor as well, the truck drivers, the accountants, etc. So you raise their labor costs and prices naturally have to rise in response. This causes inflation.

The same workers that make minimum wage tend to shop at places that also pay their workers minimum wage because it's what they can afford. So now that worker that just got bumped up to $15/hr will see prices rise across the board which over time will put them right back where they started.

We live in a stratified economy. There's really no getting around this. While individual examples can obviously be pulled and scrutinized, wages generally reflect rarity of skillset and demand for that skill. Unskilled labor will always be at the bottom of the pyramid because it is theoretically the easiest to replace, whether by another person or by a machine. If you can be trained to do your job in half a shift, you are unskilled labor, and you are almost completely fungible.

The problem with raising the floor is that it really fucks it up for everyone that was above them. I'm talking about the middle class, not the rich, the rich are largely immune to pricing pressures. If the old minimum wage was $7 and it's raised to $15, everyone that was making $20/hr and living semi-comfortably is now fucked because they have higher prices to deal with and more competition for, and upward pressure on pricing for, things like housing.

As for the wealth gap, it was trending downward until LBJ's Great Society and War on Poverty became the law of the land. With the trillions of dollars we've spent, everyone should have a house and a full 2 car garage at this point. All government programs do is treat the symptoms, poorly, while leaving the underlying issues unaddressed. San Francisco just passed a corporate tax that will raise something like $200M more than they currently receive to help the 7,500 homeless people living there. They are already spending $300M+ on the issue. That works out to over $50,000 spent per year on each homeless person in the city. How much of that money do you think actually reaches the people on the streets? Almost none. It gets eaten up in the bureaucracy by social workers making $100k a year to provide bullshit classes, or conduct surveys, or to the sanitation workers cleaning up human feces off the street, or paying to treat addiction. The dirty secret for nearly every government agency is that they have no desire to actually address the issue they are assigned. If they are successful, they lose their job. If they are unsuccessful, they can demand more money, because just a little bit more will go a long way. The same goes for education. Teachers do a shit job and scores are pitiful? They need more money! Meanwhile they're making above average salaries with bulletproof pensions and working 8 1/2 months of the year while the school administrators are making $350k+. But hey, they all get election day off as a holiday so they can vote themselves more money, so it's all good.

So now we have higher taxes, more parasitic government workers, and we have a "wealth gap" because the poor are kept in poverty by government programs. There's a reason that every city and state run by the very people who run on these issues every election cycle have it the worst - the people they are electing really don't care, they just want your vote and are willing to destroy your life to maintain their own parasitic lifestyle.
You're acknowledging that those pulling the levers work to fuck over the average dude by raising prices and making thing unfeasible, and yet despite your earlier bootstraps-pulling-up attitude, you say there's no getting around it. It's also worth noting that in your example with the necessity of prices increasing, that must only be true if maintaining equal the current amount of profit. I'm not saying burger slingers should be making as much as brain surgeons, but there is something fucked up that you can work full time and essentially not afford to live. In the meantime, CEOs are making hundred of times the salaries of their employees which makes it hard to believe that they give a fuck about you or know what you're dealing with.

The blame on inefficient bureaucracy would be true if inequality, as we speak of it, purely meant "these are not the same", but there's so many more factors at play than that. It's not just a lack of money. Giving $500k to a black family in the ghetto isn't going to suddenly turn them into New England WASPs. I also find it hard to believe of the war on poverty as the cause of inequality if the rich have come out smelling like guestroom soap.

After that, we arrive where we know we would: at a fundamental disagreement on the role of government. To that end, I guess there's not much more that can be said on the matter.

Aside: I happened upon this perinent Atlantic article today as well. It's a long ass read, but I found it interesting.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

No doubt however its going the way of the weaving loom, these days no-one wants to read much more than "ZOMG" next to a picture of a plane crash, they certainly aren't prepared to pay for it.

Journalism is practically back where it used to be - a hobby project for rich men to push their views onto the masses, just look at Murdoch's media empire. Apparently his news outlets make a net loss which he funds from elsewhere.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2018-11-09 19:13:59)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jay wrote:

Blah blah blah govt bad
I bet you depend on govt projects for half your income.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

Blah blah blah govt bad
He installs HVAC units in schools. So yes.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

No doubt however its going the way of the weaving loom, these days no-one wants to read much more than "ZOMG" next to a picture of a plane crash, they certainly aren't prepared to pay for it.

Journalism is practically back where it used to be - a hobby project for rich men to push their views onto the masses, just look at Murdoch's media empire.
The NYT and WaPo are doing very well at the moment selling digital subscriptions. I have one in fact. Cable T.V. also have investigative journalist. I am not talking about the people on t.v. but their staff.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

Blah blah blah govt bad
He installs HVAC units in schools. So yes.
I do not
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard