unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6767|PNW

Shahter wrote:

@zeek:
i'm pretty sure i never said i was looking for wisdom in first-person opinions of the likes of war man. and yes, i'm capable of finding out for myself whatever it is that gets pushed by the western propaganda mashine media. it's all the same now in the opinion columns out there and more often than not after reading a couple of opening statements i can easily tell what's to follow. it's kinda dissapointing, actually.
what's interesting for me is what actually sticks. that's why i'm interested in opinions of real people who don't have editors looking over their shoulder.
I think what's bugging me is your notion that a "first hand opinion" as you put it is somehow more valid because it isn't being paid for, while at the same time admitting that these first hand opinions are influenced by the "system." How do you manage to reconcile this conundrum?

Who should we trust more, a professional political analyst or some random angry meathead being spoonfed their opinions, devoid of critical thought, by a faux debate talk radio show hosted by someone basically playing a character? The first is paid for, and the second you can get whenever you look like someone who will offer an ear to disgruntled griping.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6767|PNW

DesertFox- wrote:

This is where I would cue the Baby Boomers talking about how they worked summers to pay for college and then graduated and bought a house.
To be fair, a number of them acknowledge that it isn't as easy anymore. Particularly ones still in touch with real estate pricing, or who were hit hard by the 80s economy. They aren't all bootstraps fetishists.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5353|London, England

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Jay wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

i love the dismissal of the arguement as something DF is regurgitating from what he saw or read. 

People understand that wealth redistribution upwards (which is what the tax cut is) can be a bad thing (and historically has been, in most cases).  The money would be better used by giving to the middle and lower class to promote spending.  This is not archaic theory.  Not sure why you (Jay) actively advocate against your own interests, but the idea of you being a wannabe millionaire is a pretty good theory.
No, I'm just not jealous.
Nor am i - i know you're a fan of anecdotes (especially your own experiences) but I live in a place where $84K is the low income threshold and I'm about to become a homeowner for the second time. My financials are sound.  I get taxed over 40% between federal, state and local and the only problem i have is the allocation of those taxes. I understand that as someone who is fortunate to be secure in my livelihood and housing situation that I am responsible for helping out those who aren't in as good a position as me.

You're just a salty, mean fuck who doesn't want to help anyone but yourself.  Despite you needing social assistance to get where you are today, you want to pull the ladder up once you make it on board so that no one else can benefit like you did. 

You are the worst type of person, and you portray it as some sort of bootstrapping worldview when you're just a complete asshole.  The world needs less people like you, not more.
I'm not mean, though I was channeling a bit of Red Foreman when I was beating up on desertfox before, I simply believe in doing everything you can to help yourself, if you're able. Not everyone is able, and some need help, I agree, but there are far too many people who do the whole woe is me bit and give up.

My college debt is too high.
My entry level job doesn't pay me enough to live in the best part of a trendy city that has more demand for housing than available housing.

I've frankly just been exposed to too many whiny columns, blogs etc. written by millenials who blame things like the gap between the rich and the poor for all of life's ills. Meanwhile they're trying to make a living in journalism or being a social media influencer or whatever other bullshit job they can think of that is 'cool' and doesn't require much effort. Of course they're gonna struggle. The problem is that other people read their crap and project it out and try to turn it into a universal situation when it's not. Plenty of other people put their head down, work, make a living and get by. They may not have a mansion or a brand new car in the driveway, but they're still better off than 99% of the other people on this planet and are grateful rather than bitter.

And no, the world needs more people like me, not less. We've had too much mothering and not enough fathering for far too long now. Our country is soft and full of flaccid individuals who want others to solve their problems for them instead of taking personal responsibility.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

DesertFox- wrote:

I suspect Jay misinterpreted my motivations for criticizing the tax cuts, which is why his response was that I was jealous and/or should ask for a raise or get a better job. As I stated, I'm perfectly happy with my job (which reminds me, I still have some pictures from my Euro business trip I should share) and compensation for me as a single twentysomething, as I know it's above average. My debts consist of $1900 at 0% interest on a car compared to my friends still paying student loans, so I also am aware my financial situation is far rosier than a lot of my peers.

My criticism is not coming as a "well I should've gotten more!" view. I don't want to ask for a raise because the company got a tax break. I want everyone to get a raise so they can actually have a reasonable standard of living. My qualms, as described by others above, are that it is economically unjustifiable to give breaks to the exceptionally rich. The wealth gap has starkly increased over the last half century and the average Joe is worse off. This is where I would cue the Baby Boomers talking about how they worked summers to pay for college and then graduated and bought a house.
The wealth gap doesn't matter. If anything it's good because it keeps inflation down. You're worried about affordable housing, yes? Give everyone an extra $2000 per year and yeah, they can buy more stuff, but prices will go up because demand went up. You end up back at square one.

As far as baby boomers buying houses for cheap. Yeah, that was possible when they were converting farmland near established city into suburbs. The automobile allowed that to happen, but only one time. The issue now is that zoning laws have become outrageous because the people who live there now do everything in their power to protect the property value of their home. (Can you blame them?) But it means severe limits on multi-family housing, severe restrictions on building apartment buildings, height limits, minimum lot sizes, traffic studies, environmental studies, etc.

I apologize if I was a bit over the top, I was having fun with it. I'm sure you're doing your best. Just stop bitching about the rich, they aren't taking money out of your pocket, the government is.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3448
except the rich did take money out of working people’s pockets. it was called the bailout. whether directly because of tax payer funding or indirectly because of cuts to public spending or increased living costs. there has been a huge redistribution of the national wealth and people are not seeing their fair share.

besides that, isn’t the idea of everyone in a democracy paying their fair taxes a good one? your average family loses a lot of directly useful liquid cash when they dutifully pay their 20–40%. that money could make a great deal of different to their household budget. meanwhile the rich who don’t need to worry about living costs or any budgets shirk their taxes or hire great (and expensive) financial advisors to help them pay as little as possible.

i guess we’re all jealous marxists or ‘social media influencers who have been mothered too much’. lmao. didn’t you grow up with an absent father? jesus christ man.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

except the rich did take money out of working people’s pockets. it was called the bailout. whether directly because of tax payer funding or indirectly because of cuts to public spending or increased living costs. there has been a huge redistribution of the national wealth and people are not seeing their fair share.

besides that, isn’t the idea of everyone in a democracy paying their fair taxes a good one? your average family loses a lot of directly useful liquid cash when they dutifully pay their 20–40%. that money could make a great deal of different to their household budget. meanwhile the rich who don’t need to worry about living costs or any budgets shirk their taxes or hire great (and expensive) financial advisors to help them pay as little as possible.

i guess we’re all jealous marxists or ‘social media influencers who have been mothered too much’. lmao. didn’t you grow up with an absent father? jesus christ man.
My dad was around. I have six maternal uncles, a stepfather and a grandfather. Plenty of men in my life.
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3715
Jay's dad literally got shoveled into poverty during a robbery (probably a drug deal gone bad). You would think he would be more sympathetic to the needy since he was the stepson of the school's janitor growing up.

Next time the school's janitor is emptying my classroom's garbage, I will remember to say a little prayer for the less fortunate like Jay's immediate family.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay's dad literally got shoveled into poverty during a robbery (probably a drug deal gone bad). You would think he would be more sympathetic to the needy since he was the stepson of the school's janitor growing up.

Next time the school's janitor is emptying my classroom's garbage, I will remember to say a little prayer for the less fortunate like Jay's immediate family.
Thank you for being the local face of the failure that is the public school system. With every post you help to lessen the revere that people reflexively have for the people the state trusts to teach our children. My parents may not have been stockbrokers, but they worked hard. You are scum that I would dox and have fired in a heartbeat. You do not deserve to be within ten miles of a child.
-Frederick Bastiat
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6704|England. Stoke
Did post that in the wrong thread and then move it?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6101|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

The latest is the tax reductions and the import tariffs, I'm amazed no-one is holding that up as the largest wealth redistribution is US history, since the tax reductions overwhelmingly benefit the rich and the tariffs will be effectively paid by the poor as companies put their prices up.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2018-11-09 15:52:09)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3715
Hey man, don't ruin bf2s with doxing games. No one wins those. I
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3715
That reminds me, does anyone else remember ATG threatening to shot Gunslinger in the head or Parker threatening to stab someone?

This forum was really ahead of its time in many ways.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
With one of his shitty chinese knives? Good times.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3715
Yes, the knives he used to scam a bunch of people out of their money before disappearing.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

coke wrote:

Did post that in the wrong thread and then move it?
Yes
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jay wrote:

I've frankly just been exposed to too many whiny columns, blogs etc. written by millenials who blame things like the gap between the rich and the poor for all of life's ills.
There is some element of this, but it doesn't cover the whole issue. I don't agree with the 'millenials are all snowflakes' line boomers peddle.
Meanwhile they're trying to make a living in journalism or being a social media influencer or whatever other bullshit job they can think of that is 'cool' and doesn't require much effort.
Journalism and media influencer are almost all thats left for someone who doesn't have a specific in-demand skill.
IBM, Ford etc don't swallow up tens of thousands of generic graduates every year to sit in cubicles, drink coffee and hold pointless meetings with each other, everything is that much leaner and many of the opportunities and cushy careers boomers could snooze through and still get a great lifestyle and comfy retirement out of are gone forever.

The boomer generation has offshored and improved the efficiencies of industries to the point entire industries have gone abroad and multiple tiers of management have ceased to exist. America does not make TVs any more, apart from the manufacturing which is obviously gone all the development and R+D is also gone, same for many other industries.

Banking is largely automated, I think I've spoken to a bank employee about twice in the last decade whereas 30 years ago it was at least a weekly event.

The world is a different place, obviously there are opportunities but they're fewer, there are more people chasing them and they pay a lot less than they used to. The average person can no longer expect to sail through life and retire rich, the critical boomers don't seem to get this.

Meanwhile pissing on Desertfox with your 'self-made-man' rhetoric just makes you look like an ass.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2018-11-09 16:28:42)

uziq
+492|3448
don't put journalism and 'media influencer' on the same pedestal. a good journalism school is expensive and hard to get into -- equivalent to a law school.. it's still a traditional upper-middle class profession, whether or not you personally like 'mainstream media' or 'fake news'. social media influencers are people who post instagram selfies of themselves using filters wearing brand garments or holding products. hardly anyone makes a career out of journalism. it is super competitive. writing blogposts or think pieces for internet sites is not 'journalism'. i know in these times it has become a dirty profession and they are 'enemies of the people'. but trumpists and populists can pull that card precisely because they are predominantly from a social and cultural elite. there's a big difference between someone who graduates from columbia and grinds it out as a reporter on a small town weekly and someone who has 250k instagram followers and gets flown all over the world. they are probably from entirely different classes.

and yes, all those upper-middle class 'traditional' professions have been thoroughly milked now. they are far more competitive and no longer ensure a comfortable life.

Last edited by uziq (2018-11-09 16:30:38)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Not any more, anyone with internet access is a journalist now.
uziq
+492|3448
no, bloggers didn't consider themselves 'journalists' in the 90s and 00s and social media pundits don't consider themselves 'journalists' today.

if anyone is misusing the term it's the alt-light spectrum of youtube commentators and breitbart writers. that's not journalism.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6680|United States of America

Jay wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

I suspect Jay misinterpreted my motivations for criticizing the tax cuts, which is why his response was that I was jealous and/or should ask for a raise or get a better job. As I stated, I'm perfectly happy with my job (which reminds me, I still have some pictures from my Euro business trip I should share) and compensation for me as a single twentysomething, as I know it's above average. My debts consist of $1900 at 0% interest on a car compared to my friends still paying student loans, so I also am aware my financial situation is far rosier than a lot of my peers.

My criticism is not coming as a "well I should've gotten more!" view. I don't want to ask for a raise because the company got a tax break. I want everyone to get a raise so they can actually have a reasonable standard of living. My qualms, as described by others above, are that it is economically unjustifiable to give breaks to the exceptionally rich. The wealth gap has starkly increased over the last half century and the average Joe is worse off. This is where I would cue the Baby Boomers talking about how they worked summers to pay for college and then graduated and bought a house.
The wealth gap doesn't matter. If anything it's good because it keeps inflation down. You're worried about affordable housing, yes? Give everyone an extra $2000 per year and yeah, they can buy more stuff, but prices will go up because demand went up. You end up back at square one.

As far as baby boomers buying houses for cheap. Yeah, that was possible when they were converting farmland near established city into suburbs. The automobile allowed that to happen, but only one time. The issue now is that zoning laws have become outrageous because the people who live there now do everything in their power to protect the property value of their home. (Can you blame them?) But it means severe limits on multi-family housing, severe restrictions on building apartment buildings, height limits, minimum lot sizes, traffic studies, environmental studies, etc.

I apologize if I was a bit over the top, I was having fun with it. I'm sure you're doing your best. Just stop bitching about the rich, they aren't taking money out of your pocket, the government is.
You keep talking to me as if the solution is for me to get more money, despite my saying I don't need more money. I grant you that I would not say no if employers collectively decided to adjust pay so workers are getting a fairer shake. The wealth gap is not good because people working at what we decided should be the minimum wage live in poverty, while again the super rich get to hoard more than anyone could hope to need. It's not good for society. Even with a modest marginal rate increase, you'd still have absurdly wealthy billionaires, but some of the money could be applied to actually be useful via education, infrastructure, etc.

Your housing argument doesn't really make sense, either. Demand has remained the same, but an extra $2k would only make things more
affordable. I don't know why you're talking about suburbanization in the '50s, either, since I'm talking about the wealth gap since about the '70s.

The rich aren't taking money out of my pocket, they're taking money out of all of our pockets (and the government's by fighting tooth and nail to avoid taxes), which is clearly evident by the way the wealth gap has worsened. Again, I don't give a fuck if they toss me a $1500 tax break while giving themselves millions. It's not jealousy. It's an awful policy for a government that hasn't learned the lessons of Brownbackistan. I like when government is actually somewhat able to function and provide services. This sort of "fuck you, got mine" attitude is among the most infuriating self-delusions in recent history.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3715

uziq wrote:

don't put journalism and 'media influencer' on the same pedestal. a good journalism school is expensive and hard to get into -- equivalent to a law school.. it's still a traditional upper-middle class profession, whether or not you personally like 'mainstream media' or 'fake news'. social media influencers are people who post instagram selfies of themselves using filters wearing brand garments or holding products. hardly anyone makes a career out of journalism. it is super competitive. writing blogposts or think pieces for internet sites is not 'journalism'. i know in these times it has become a dirty profession and they are 'enemies of the people'. but trumpists and populists can pull that card precisely because they are predominantly from a social and cultural elite. there's a big difference between someone who graduates from columbia and grinds it out as a reporter on a small town weekly and someone who has 250k instagram followers and gets flown all over the world. they are probably from entirely different classes.

and yes, all those upper-middle class 'traditional' professions have been thoroughly milked now. they are far more competitive and no longer ensure a comfortable life.
One of my childhood buddies got a job writing for the largest newspaper in NJ, Jersey Journal. They also own NJ.com and his articles are all over it. He still lives at home with his parents and I think works at a grocery store too. That sucks.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

I've frankly just been exposed to too many whiny columns, blogs etc. written by millenials who blame things like the gap between the rich and the poor for all of life's ills.
There is some element of this, but it doesn't cover the whole issue. I don't agree with the 'millenials are all snowflakes' line boomers peddle.
Meanwhile they're trying to make a living in journalism or being a social media influencer or whatever other bullshit job they can think of that is 'cool' and doesn't require much effort.
Journalism and media influencer are almost all thats left for someone who doesn't have a specific in-demand skill.
IBM, Ford etc don't swallow up tens of thousands of generic graduates every year to sit in cubicles, drink coffee and hold pointless meetings with each other, everything is that much leaner and many of the opportunities and cushy careers boomers could snooze through and still get a great lifestyle and comfy retirement out of are gone forever.
The boomer generation has offshored and improved the efficiencies of industries to the point entire industries have gone abroad and multiple tiers of management have ceased to exist. America does not make TVs any more, apart from the manufacturing which is obviously gone all the development and R+D is also gone, same for many other industries.
Banking is largely automated, I think I've spoken to a bank employee about twice in the last decade whereas 30 years ago it was at least a weekly event.
Yes, but new jobs have replaced the old ones. There are many more jobs in tech, and the vast majority don't involve programming. Entire corporate bureaucracies have sprung up within Google, Facebook etc. They are no longer lean startups, and they make so much money and are so beholden to lefty belief that they won't cut staff until they face bankruptcy.

We're at near universal employment, so there are plenty of decent jobs out there, they just might not be the sexy ones. The ones that have the time to whine online are also the ones trying to pile into the sexy jobs that pay shit because there's so much demand for the positions and very low margins.

At the same time, the old classic trades are facing a severe shortage, even though the pay is high. There's just too many people who grew up thinking they deserved to be a Kardashian and want the life without putting in the work.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3448
google and facebook are so beholden to 'lefty belief' that they don't cut staff? those silicon valley companies sound like horrible places to work. the cult of google in san fran sounds like a libertarian-capitalist dystopia. beholden to 'lefty' belief? what exactly is cuddly and lefty and pro-labour about the stanford–silicon valley axis? here's me thinking they're all sub-peter thiel/elizabeth holmes sociopaths with hard-ons for ayn rand and nick land.

how did you jump from pillorying the 'over-subscribed' careers, where margins are low, to 'everyone wants to be kardashian'. aren't they two different things? i can't make any sense out of any of your arguments lately. you're ossifying.

Last edited by uziq (2018-11-09 16:42:22)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3715

Jay wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

Yes, but new jobs have replaced the old ones. There are many more jobs in tech, and the vast majority don't involve programming. Entire corporate bureaucracies have sprung up within Google, Facebook etc. They are no longer lean startups, and they make so much money and are so beholden to lefty belief that they won't cut staff until they face bankruptcy.

We're at near universal employment, so there are plenty of decent jobs out there, they just might not be the sexy ones. The ones that have the time to whine online are also the ones trying to pile into the sexy jobs that pay shit because there's so much demand for the positions and very low margins.

At the same time, the old classic trades are facing a severe shortage, even though the pay is high. There's just too many people who grew up thinking they deserved to be a Kardashian and want the life without putting in the work.
THE TRADES FUCKING SUCK. I used to be in the trades. No one in the trades wants their kids to go into the trades.

You ever notice how it is always people who were never in the trades suggesting people go into them?
uziq
+492|3448
ironically it's the kids or grandkids of trade who are most likely trying to climb up the greasy pole into being journalists or architects or some other job with social prestige that now pays peanuts and relies on free internships.

Last edited by uziq (2018-11-09 16:50:08)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard