Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5359|London, England

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

Many people, the majority really, take what is published about science as fact. They take it on faith that what some expert is telling them is indeed true. Faith is the premise upon which religions are founded. Unquestioning belief. No, what science is supposed to be is skepticism. Doubt. If someone tells you the sky is blue you test it, you theorize it, you investigate it. You don't take what they have to say on faith. There have been far too many times that the media has published reports based on faulty research and caused hysteria.
However doubting thoroughly researched, peer reviewed and published papers is not normal scepticism. The 'what my snake handler says is as valid as a paper in the Nature because they're both belief systems' argument holds no water.
What the media says, and which media says it, is important. Retweets carry no weight and don't give weight to the argument 'some science reported on by the media is faulty therefore we can assume its all faulty'.

The push for straw bans is simply the latest hysteria. Nevermind that when you look under the covers you see that the research was conducted by a 9 year old boy doing a telephone survey to arrive at his numbers, or that only 2% of the plastic trash that ends up in the Pacific Ocean originates in the US, with those very same straws making up a microscopic fraction of the total pollution. That skepticism to hysteria where the underlying facts were rooted out is where the real science was performed.
But it is something easy and simple we could do to eliminate a wholly wasteful use of resources.

And because a small subset of environmentalists ideas occasionally seem a little trivial doesn't mean all climate theory is therefore wrong.
Peer review, especially in the social sciences has been found to be wholly lacking recently. One group of people recently published an excerpt from Mein Kampf, but rewritten in the language of intersectionality, and had it published in journals. They've found that the vast majority of studies can not be repeated and that in many cases the original study did not hold up to the basic scientific method when scrutinized. The publish or die mentality at research universities is the root problem here. They've focused too much on the prestige gained from published research and it's come at the expense of their core mission, which is to teach.

As I said previously, I'm not denying climate change. There's enough evidence to suggest it is real. The problem is that the proposed solutions are all political in nature, and the proposed political solutions have been mostly of the hard-left variety. What's necessary is the boring incremental improvement approach, but that doesn't get headlines. What gets headlines is things like banning all internal combustion engine sales by a certain date, even though the technology is raw and has it's own pollution concerns, and that the electrical grid can not support such a large increase in load. I know you resent unreasonable clients as much as I do, and politicians act worse than any others.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3453
the core mission of research universities isn’t to teach. it’s to research. it’s kind of in the name. large scientific and medical universities have existed in this form for at least 100 years. or are you advocating a return to the scholastic/classical/ancient university model? you’ll find that in liberal arts colleges.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5359|London, England

uziq wrote:

the core mission of research universities isn’t to teach. it’s to research. it’s kind of in the name. large scientific and medical universities have existed in this form for at least 100 years. or are you advocating a return to the scholastic/classical/ancient university model? you’ll find that in liberal arts colleges.
There's obviously room for both, but the trend towards large state universities focusing on research versus teaching is deleterious in my opinion. Having a Teaching Assistant lecturing hundreds of students in a lecture hall is... not ideal.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3721
This is going to be one of those threads where people make fun of Jay's education.

At RU we didn't have TA's lecturing massive classes in halls. The only super massive lectures we had was held by a few PhD'd professors who rotated or shared lecture time. We then later in the week had smaller classes of 30ish or so students that was run by graduate student TA's where we reviewed the lecture, debated, and wrote.

I had three small sub 20 student full classes ran by people with Masters degrees working at RU on their PhD. They were qualified to teach those things since that was their subject specialization
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX
I've seen a lot of crap research, and crap universities churning out crap research is not a help.

Anecdotally as part of my own research I followed the work of one Professor who basically churned out the exact same paper for about 20 years to justify his tenure, adding a term to an overlong equation here, deleting a term there, justifying an assumption with other assumptions. And it was total unusable bunk which bore little relation to what he was trying to describe.

And being lectured to and tutored by people who are fairly disinterested in lecturing or the practical world is not productive.

But there is good research around.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3453
lots of very good teachers and very good researchers. no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater. dilbert you have expressed your dislike of academics here many times, and in this context it is just adding to jay's (mostly ignorant and trash-level) opinion about good universities. top researchers do give great lectures. the modern 'research' university has always existed in close proximity to industry/medicine/military, with obvious benefits to that research. i can't really think of a time when universities were ever really, truly focussed on teaching undergraduates. even the most ancient universities basically tolerated undergraduates, which then were the sons of aristocracy/gentry coming up for a little learning (but not much) before going on to their public and civic roles. universities have always been full of scholars focussed mainly on their own research, with things filtering down from the tower now and then.

criticisms of social science research are perhaps justified. but most science papers in total are not reproducible, for various reasons. and statistical significance and various other forms of statistical legerdemain and selective sampling are a problem right across the board. it's not about publish-or-perish, it's more the pressure to publish 'good' results. sometimes a failed experiment or bad results can be just as instructive. this stuff doesn't get submitted to journals, much less rejected.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3721
So someone tried to blow up some famous libs. Meh
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6776|Moscow, Russia
uh-huh. is it "highly likely" that putin is personally responsible for this one yet?
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
uziq
+492|3453
stop deluding yourself that the west has this paranoia about putin and russia. there hasn’t been the slightest mention of russia in this matter. the west only tends to look at russia when there’s overwhelming evidence that russian involvement took place. you know, like when you shoot down civilian airliners over ukraine or send special agents on gay honeymoons to salisbury.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6776|Moscow, Russia
right. so, talking heads in western governments should speak some words, and somekinda media claiming to be independant should post something they supposedly dug up from social media - that would make it "highly likely".
got it.
uziq
+492|3453
i know, we are all having the wool pulled over our eyes like obedient western sheeples! it's a vast conspiracy. the media fabricated the plane tickets, cctv, passports, public records etc of those two men. maybe they even used body doubles from MI5!
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6776|Moscow, Russia
why do you drag skripal case into this again? i simply asked if it was okay to blame putin for the incident with the bombs. you said no, it's not, first some noise must be made in the media. that answers my question, thank you.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3721
A guy walked into his high school a few days ago in Crimea and killed 21 people while dressed as one of the Columbine  shooters.  Putin got on T.V. and blamed globalization for the attack. I found that funny considering I only found out about the attack thanks to a Wikipedia article about nail bombs. Since so many American media groups are banned there, no one bothered to cover the attacks here. The Russians fought so hard against globalization that no one cared about their tragedy.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6776|Moscow, Russia
i thought of all people you'd be able to appreciate this notable event - you always wanted others to become like the united states, didn't you? well, there it is - remarkable evidence that even under horrible tyrants like putin some nations still manage to find a way to become more like you. in russia we are even having school shootings now, and the degenerate who took innocent lives here even dressed like one of yours.
uziq
+492|3453

Shahter wrote:

why do you drag skripal case into this again? i simply asked if it was okay to blame putin for the incident with the bombs. you said no, it's not, first some noise must be made in the media. that answers my question, thank you.
because your post was obviously referring to your butthurt/paranoia over the skripal thing? don't be a daft cunt all of your life.

yes, school shootings and mass tragedies in russia are definitely due to the influence of the USA. beslan, the moscow theatre hostage crisis, the domodedovo bomb, the attacks in volgograd ... nothing at all to do with russian actions in chechnya. blame globalism!
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6776|Moscow, Russia
dude, look whom and what i was replying to. do you really think there was a serious discussion to be had here among his filth?
uziq
+492|3453
you guys need to give crimea and ukraine back. i don't blame them for wanting out of a thug autocracy.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6776|Moscow, Russia
that's more like it.
uziq
+492|3453
of all the modern nations on earth that have developed science, industry, healthcare, education, etc., russia consistently looks like the baby that was dropped on its head in the neonatal ward.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3721

Shahter wrote:

dude, look whom and what i was replying to. do you really think there was a serious discussion to be had here among his filth?
I am almost statistically guaranteed to be wealthier, healthier, and will live longer than you. If you immigrated to my town, you would live in the trailer park hidden behind the local high school football field with the rest of the dumb white trash. Honestly your entire nation is like the white trash of Europe. You even live in the worst part of world for human life. Your country is the trailer park of Europe.
uziq
+492|3453
it's what happens when you keep peasants under the yoke of a superstitious religious orthodoxy and tsarist absolutism for centuries. then try to catapult them into modernity in about 20 years. poor lenin took on too much for himself. the dumb muzhiks transferred their magical thinking straight to joe stalin. it has all been downhill from there.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3721
Re: Bombs

Trump Twitter wrote:

A very big part of the Anger we see today in our society is caused by the purposely false and inaccurate reporting of the Mainstream Media that I refer to as Fake News. It has gotten so bad and hateful that it is beyond description. Mainstream Media must clean up its act, FAST!
I have a fear that we are going to elect some bland white democrat male in 2020 and most of this insanity will go back in the bottle. And the people who opposed Trump this whole time will be pressured to be magnanimous towards Trump and his defeated supporters in tbe name of "national unity". Essentially there will be no punishment or justice for these nasty people.
uziq
+492|3453
yeah, it is really fucked that the democratic leader of the world's 'number one' free society is failing to unequivocally condemn a partisan Unabomber figure.

in a totally non-sensationalist and hysterical way, trump is a psychopath. he definitely has some diagnosable syndrome or disorder.

Last edited by uziq (2018-10-25 07:41:07)

War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6715|Purplicious Wisconsin

SuperJail Warden wrote:

So someone tried to blow up some famous libs. Meh
Probably some left wing nuthead pretending to be a right winger while wearing a MAGA hat, bombs are more of a left wing and muslims thing. Guess we have the dems' October surprise out already.

Last edited by War Man (2018-10-25 11:24:45)

The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
uziq
+492|3453
bombs are more of a left wing and muslims thing

https://www.firefighternation.com/content/ffn/en/articles/2017/04/oklahoma-city-bombing-remembered/_jcr_content/leftcolumn/article/thumbnailimage.img.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard