DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6702|United States of America
It essentially does get us back to where we were, which is okay, I guess. Now if and when there's a next one, that may get interesting.

The one thing I wanted was some movement on that infrastructure. Haven't heard a peep about it.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6170|what

The wall?
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+686|6308|Washington St.

Jay wrote:

Literally the only thing I waneed from this administration was a supreme court pick like this. So happy right now.
That's some low standards from any president. Let alone one you wanted in but didn't have the balls to vote for.

Gorsuch sounds like he's got his head on straight and is open to hearing all points of view. He also looks like he's going to repeal Roe V Wade because, let's take a big ol' dump on the Declaration of Independence and just burn the Constitution and replace it with the Bible.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6123|eXtreme to the maX

pirana6 wrote:

let's take a big ol' dump on the Declaration of Independence and just burn the Constitution and replace it with the Bible.
That's core Republican policy, its what the people voted for.

I'm look forward to this ass-clown Sessions explaining how the constitution means the government can ban abortion.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3470

Jay wrote:

Literally the only thing I waneed from this administration was a supreme court pick like this. So happy right now.
jay is a strict constitutionalist but he doesn't want trump to divest himself of his business interests, adhere to the emoluments clause, and is happy when the attorney-general is dismissed for serving the constitution over the president.

bonggggg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I look forward to about 1,000 years from now when the rest of the world has moved on and Americans are still clinging to the literal interpretation of an ancient manuscript.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5375|London, England

pirana6 wrote:

Jay wrote:

That's some low standards from any president. Let alone one you wanted in but didn't have the balls to vote for.

Gorsuch sounds like he's got his head on straight and is open to hearing all points of view. He also looks like he's going to repeal Roe V Wade because, let's take a big ol' dump on the Declaration of Independence and just burn the Constitution and replace it with the Bible.
I didn't want him in for anything but to replace Scalia. I think his policies are shit.

This pick was essentially a poison pill for Trump. He promised conservatives he would choose a Federalist Society approved justice, and he did. Why is it a poison pill? Because instead of a pushover like Garland, who would allow the government to run roughshod over the constitution, he instead selected someone that will rule against his own expansion of power. Progressives will hate him because they hate the constitution and anyone that holds them to it,  but with Trump in office maybe they'll rethink that position.

Like, this guy is even against Chevron Defference, which is how Obamacare squeaked by.

Last edited by Jay (2017-02-01 03:26:30)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3470

Jay wrote:

pirana6 wrote:

Jay wrote:

This pick was essentially a poison pill for Trump. He promised conservatives he would choose a Federalist Society approved justice, and he did. Why is it a poison pill? Because instead of a pushover like Garland, who would allow the government to run roughshod over the constitution, he instead selected someone that will rule against his own expansion of power. Progressives will hate him because they hate the constitution and anyone that holds them to it,  but with Trump in office maybe they'll rethink that position.
so he's like the ex-AG?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jay wrote:

Progressives ... hate the constitution and anyone that holds them to it.
OK
uziq
+492|3470
attorney general stated her duty was to the constitution of the united states. made a constitutionalist legal interpretation of the existing laws. trump hurried her on via twitter. jay says nothing.

'progressives hate the constitution'.

haha.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

attorney general stated her duty was to the constitution of the united states. made a constitutionalist legal interpretation of the existing laws. trump hurried her on via twitter. jay says nothing.

'progressives hate the constitution'.

haha.
She was playing the martyr for political gain.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3470
the martyr to that constitution you keep banging on about, you mean?

at what point does a faithful legal interpretation of the constitution become a cynical personal move? when it doesn't agree with your own politics, i assume?

once again: you don't know how legal interpretation works.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

the martyr to that constitution you keep banging on about, you mean?

at what point does a faithful legal interpretation of the constitution become a cynical personal move? when it doesn't agree with your own politics, i assume?

once again: you don't know how legal interpretation works.
No, she was setting up her political career by defying Trump. What he did wasn't unconstitutional. She was just virtue signalling.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3470
i've read the term 'virtue signalling' twice in two days on this forum and both times they've been by conservative white guys dismissing the refugee issue. funny.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

i've read the term 'virtue signalling' twice in two days on this forum and both times they've been by conservative white guys dismissing the refugee issue. funny.
We weren't taking in refugees under Obama either. We're on the other side of the Atlantic, you guys deal with it. And frankly, a Brit lecturing anyone else in the world on accepting refugees when The Jungle exists is a bit hypocritical.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3470
i'm sure that's relevant to the discussion.

the AG was dismissed when her constitutional advice didn't chime with trump. yet you'll talk a lot of shit about progressives being the anti-constitutionalists. what are you even talking about?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Her job is to carry out the wishes of the president. She clearly didn't want to be associated with carrying out an unpopular law that would hurt her own progressive career. She was an Obama appointee. Don't try to make it more than just a calculated career move.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3470
the AG's job is to be a legal adviser to the president, according to the law and united states constitution, not to enact the will of the president...
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Did you know who Sally Yates was last week? Would you have known her name if she had quietly served out her term until Sessions was sworn in? Now she's a hero to the left.
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+636|3737
Whenever I see a debate about the constitution I think of the onion article "Area Man Passionate Defender Of What He Imagines Constitution To Be"
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jay wrote:

Her job is to carry out the wishes of the president.
No, its to enforce the law.

This constitution thing, have you actually read it?
Also try this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judiciary_Act_of_1789
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

Her job is to carry out the wishes of the president.
No, its to enforce the law.

This constitution thing, have you actually read it?
Also try this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judiciary_Act_of_1789
And the law is legal. Unless what Obama did was illegal too?
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3470
is jay really this retarded i just can't even
uziq
+492|3470

Jay wrote:

Did you know who Sally Yates was last week? Would you have known her name if she had quietly served out her term until Sessions was sworn in? Now she's a hero to the left.
the uk has an AG too. i'm familiar with the office. why do i need to know about her personal life? a hero to the left?!? she should be a hero to you as a constitutionalist, derp derp. she stood up to the executive based on her legal judgement.

hello?!?
uziq
+492|3470
Before this showdown, Yates was actually asked by the Trump Administration to stay on duty until Senator Jeff Sessions could be confirmed by the Senate. In fact, Yates has held leadership positions in both Democratic and Republican administrations throughout her career. During her confirmation hearing, one Republican Senator even called her a “hero” with “impeccable integrity.”

Sen. Johnny Isaakson (R-Georgia) said, in part:

“Sally is a great hero of the state of Georgia for 25 years she’s been in the office of Northern District of Georgia prosecuting criminal on public integrity all kind of things like the Olympic Park bombing. For the last five years, she’s been the chief attorney, and she’s proved herself over and over and over again to be to be effective to be fair to  be diligent and to be the kind of person that you would want representing you in the U.S. Attorney’s office.. She is a lady of impeccable taste, impeccable integrity and an impeccable record, and I’m proud to second her nomination..”

Sen. David Perdue (R-Georgia) said, in part:

For years, she has prosecuted the most violate criminal organizations in Georgia, MS-13, and other notorious gangs, drug cartels, human smuggling, sex traffickers. The people in Georgia were fortunate to have benefited from Ms .Yates’s work in the service of justice for so many years.
i guess sally yates is just a 'hero of the Left' and a political martyr to the progressive cause.

so i ask you again: when does an attorney general, who does his/her job of serving the legislative/constitution first and foremost, become a self-serving political actor? it seems like the 'constitutionalists' are only 'truly' constitutional when their rulings suit your political tastes, jay. anyone else who applies an originalist or constitutionalist reading of the law to an end you don't agree with is 'being political'. can you clarify?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard