Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5359|London, England
Some of you probably know that two police officers were shot yesterday in Brooklyn. The shootings were conducted by someone from out of state who decided to kill his girlfriend and then drive to NYC to kill two cops as revenge for the deaths of Michael Brown and Eric Garner at the hands of the police. I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner, honestly.

The cops are blaming the mayor, and Al Sharpton, and the media for the killings, but you can't lay this at their feet. I blame the police unions. Any and all criticism is interpreted by them as attacks and disrespect. Every union in this country seems to spend the majority of their time protecting the shitbag members who make the rest of them look bad. Why? Because they're afraid of being seen to 'hang their members out to dry'? I don't know. The police union should've been the first one in line to try to boot the guy who choked someone to death on video. He made every other cop look bad and he ultimately instigated the shootings that took place yesterday. Instead, the union has turned him into a hero and a rallying point against dissent.

I don't hate cops, the vast majority of them are decent people, but I don't hero worship them like most white people seem to do. This is another side effect of the unions, people have lapped up the union negotiating tactic of telling everyone how tough the job is, how dangerous it is, how they're the thin blue line between us and anarchy etc. If you look at the numbers, the job is less dangerous than your average construction job.

I don't believe in automatic respect. I certainly don't respect a group of people who protect their worst members and refuse to punish them. If I can't differentiate the good from the bad, because the union refuses to do so, then I have to assume they're all bad. I won't grieve for the cops who died yesterday.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6738|Oxferd Ohire
Related:
http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ss … cart_river

Cop who got drunk, lost his badge and gun got reinstated because these cops did worse and didnt get fired:

one officer pulled his wife out of her car and fired off eight shots into it because he did not want her to get the car in a divorce settlement;
another got drunk and threatened his girlfriend with a shotgun;
another officer shot his gun "in a threatening manner" while intoxicated;
an officer pulled his gun during a drunken wedding fight;
a female officer smeared animal feces on her own apartment walls during a rent dispute, and told her landlord to pick her keys up at the department's gun range;
another officer fled the scene of an accident after he hit a man on a motorcycle.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

RTHKI wrote:

Related:
http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ss … cart_river

Cop who got drunk, lost his badge and gun got reinstated because these cops did worse and didnt get fired:

one officer pulled his wife out of her car and fired off eight shots into it because he did not want her to get the car in a divorce settlement;
another got drunk and threatened his girlfriend with a shotgun;
another officer shot his gun "in a threatening manner" while intoxicated;
an officer pulled his gun during a drunken wedding fight;
a female officer smeared animal feces on her own apartment walls during a rent dispute, and told her landlord to pick her keys up at the department's gun range;
another officer fled the scene of an accident after he hit a man on a motorcycle.
I've been seeing right wing people say 'well if you don't like cops, let's bring in the army then' as a 'it could always be worse' sort of threat. Well, when people fuck up in the army and disobey orders, they get disciplined and/or kicked out. If you step out of line for even a minute, there will always be someone there looking to write you up. So yes, bring on the army, we'd all be safer.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX
They've long been a paramilitary arm of government which protects the people in power, so the people in power protect them in return and don't ask too many questions.

That, and they're a sufficiently large pressure group - with guns, powers to take people of the street, brutalise them, put them away forever - that they can effectively protect themselves, much like the mob.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Also stupid, belligerent people tend to migrate to Police work. Giving stupid belligerent people significant power without meaningful supervision is always bad.

Forcing every entrant to start at the bottom perpetuates this. An engineer isn't expected to spend 5-10 years on a production line or operating a jackhammer before they can move up, that the Police force recruits to do it reduces the quality of the intake - it does help the stupid people at higher levels avoid having to ever deal with anyone smarter than themselves, which seems to make them feel better.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3721
Police department give hiring preference to people who had military service. Of course when someone in the military is taught that they were heroes in a struggle of good vs evil, they develop a hostile attitude to any criticism. With the wars ending and nothing better to do, soldiers are coming back to join police departments and continue their struggle for peace on the streets of cities and suburbs around the country.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6624|Little Bentcock
If you want to be a hero you should be a firefighter.

Mac would agree with me I'm sure.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Police department give hiring preference to people who had military service. Of course when someone in the military is taught that they were heroes in a struggle of good vs evil, they develop a hostile attitude to any criticism. With the wars ending and nothing better to do, soldiers are coming back to join police departments and continue their struggle for peace on the streets of cities and suburbs around the country.
There is some of that, but it's mostly organic. They start brainwashing kids in elementary school about how nice and helpful police officers are, and how tough their job is and how much of a sacrifire they are making. It's all bullshit. Being a cop has been statistically shown to be less dangerous than average.

The real problem in this country is the War on Drugs instigated by the vermin Nixon. It created an us vs them mentality and led to cops militarizing themselves with federal money and spending ever increasing amounts of their time and effort kicking down doors in search of petty drugs. 9/11 then took that militarization trajectory and pushed it to escape velocity.

Ultimately,  none of this is a cop problem, it's a political problem. Politicians created this mess by passing laws that destroyed the 4th amendment and because they refuse to stand up to police unions. Cops will do as much as they can get away with, and right now there are no limits because the right wing couldn't give a shit less unless the cops were running wild and arresting non white trash white people.
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3721
I was mostly trying to bait you. It doesn't seem fun anymore. I really moderated my views towards the military and especially towards people in it. (I was dating a woman from a military family...) I obviously can't blame this on the troops.

Police violence isn't new. It has happened since before the war of drugs started. The right wing supported it because it was understood that it would only be directed towards blacks. 9/11 normalized heavy police presence for many people. It isn't unusual to see police with rifles and armor at airports or subways now. Police culture didn't adapt to being around mainstream Americans and their institutions like unions have kept their reactionary stances.

I brought this up in the torture thread but I want to bounce it off your head- I have read arguments that the Holocaust was Western imperial attitudes and methods projected back onto Europeans. It is a good argument. Most Americans support torture being used now. I don't think rectal feeding will become an accepted thing to do to Americans but I can see light torture methods like extreme sleep deprivation becoming popular and accepted in the future by domestic law enforcement. Eventually our worst sins will projected onto the rest of us. Do you agree?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I was mostly trying to bait you. It doesn't seem fun anymore. I really moderated my views towards the military and especially towards people in it. (I was dating a woman from a military family...) I obviously can't blame this on the troops.

Police violence isn't new. It has happened since before the war of drugs started. The right wing supported it because it was understood that it would only be directed towards blacks. 9/11 normalized heavy police presence for many people. It isn't unusual to see police with rifles and armor at airports or subways now. Police culture didn't adapt to being around mainstream Americans and their institutions like unions have kept their reactionary stances.

I brought this up in the torture thread but I want to bounce it off your head- I have read arguments that the Holocaust was Western imperial attitudes and methods projected back onto Europeans. It is a good argument. Most Americans support torture being used now. I don't think rectal feeding will become an accepted thing to do to Americans but I can see light torture methods like extreme sleep deprivation becoming popular and accepted in the future by domestic law enforcement. Eventually our worst sins will projected onto the rest of us. Do you agree?
Yes. People will always believe that it will only happen to other people, not themselves. Cloak it one of the various themes of 'for the children' or 'getting tough on crime' and politicians can sell their nonsense to 95% of the population without a question being raised. The Supreme Court is the only check we really have, but the idea of judicial deference means we lose more than we win. We need another Earl Warren.
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Without the war on drugs, don't you think the Police would have found some other racket?

Harassing motorists over trivial misdemeanours while driving seems like a winner at present, and I'm a real stickler for road rules.

I'm sure there'd be something else, armed takedowns for tax evasion etc. after all, getting your income details wrong is stealing from the govt which is nigh on treason.
They'd think of something else to keep up their toys and pensions I don't doubt.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3721
It is absolutely outrageous how the police are treating the mayor of NYC. It is insulting to claim he has the officer's blood on his hands.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

It is absolutely outrageous how the police are treating the mayor of NYC. It is insulting to claim he has the officer's blood on his hands.
Lynch has said that about every mayor. He's an idiot broken record. Even now, with two dead cops he's posturing for the next round of collective bargaining. Scum.

Last edited by Jay (2014-12-22 14:25:50)

-Frederick Bastiat
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6738|Oxferd Ohire
What about this Antonio Martin  case?
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3721
Two cops got shot in Ferguson in an ambush. Surprised this doesn't happen more often.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3721

That doesn't look good. People are saying he shouldn't have ran though so I can see the officer not going to prison for some reason.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6292|Washington St.
He was already convicted.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6683|Disaster Free Zone

pirana6 wrote:

He was already convicted.
arrested
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6683|Disaster Free Zone

SuperJail Warden wrote:

That doesn't look good. People are saying he shouldn't have ran though so I can see the officer not going to prison for some reason.
What do you mean "doesn't look good". He flat out murdered the guy, lied about what happened and planted evidence.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Cop is gonna fry (hopefully).
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
-Frederick Bastiat
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5180|Sydney

DrunkFace wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

What do you mean "doesn't look good". He flat out murdered the guy, lied about what happened and planted evidence.
Yeah that cop is fucked. No lawyer in the world can argue his way out of this one when there's video evidence.
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6710|England. Stoke
And now some 70 odd year old "reserve sheriff" (?) has shot a guy thinking he had his taser out...
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3721
Why do conservatives have to reflexively support the police? I have been listening and reading right wing news and they are calling it a war on police now that the cops were charged with the death of grey.

Where are the NRA, tea party, fight government tyranny people standing up against police brutality? Their reaction to this and other police issues is just proof that their movements are bullshit.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Because the police will then reflexively support them, that's the deal.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … years.html

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard