Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX
Their model was successful for centuries before they discovered oil. They have a well ordered society. Oil has improved the standard of living for Norway, not Denmark, Sweden or Finland and yet they're also doing OK despite (or maybe thanks to) Jay's antecedents leaving.

Many other countries have disordered societies and always will have, plus the misery which goes with disorder.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

i think at this stage in your life you need to hurry up and get someone preggo or accept that you're a biological failure, outdone by plankton.
Once again, Jay is well ahead of you - financially and reproductively.

Dilbert_X wrote:

I think I may have to start posting my girl-problems to get this thread back on track.
Now its two 'ladies' who have given me their full real names without prompting. I didn't even think they had actual surnames.
uziq
+492|3451
technology and capitalism are making the world increasingly smaller, not bigger. it's a compensatory fantasy to keep going on about isolated and homogeneous cultures. their 'model' for centuries before oil was largely peasant-agrarian societies. they were not rich or advanced industrial democracies: they were european backwaters. to the extent that the scandinavian countries were developed and world-leading, it was always through their outward-looking shipbuilding and trade. if you want advancement, convenience, high standards of living, which for four centuries of modern european history normally meant subjugating other people and reaping their resources and labour for the benefits of the imperial centre, then you have to accept 'chaos' (which again i'm taking as a euphemism for 'brown people').

the 21st and 22nd centuries are not going to feature many successful examples of isolationism. the world market has brought us all into close proximity and working relationships – and, as trump and co. are soon about to discover, you can't take cheap labour and knockdown prices with one hand and keep everything that comes with it at bay with the other. 'well ordered' society is an anal fixation. you need to mature out of that stage of your development.

Last edited by uziq (2017-03-05 05:12:14)

uziq
+492|3451

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

i think at this stage in your life you need to hurry up and get someone preggo or accept that you're a biological failure, outdone by plankton.
Once again, Jay is well ahead of you - financially and reproductively.
i'm 27 and i am going to have kids. jay is not my age. great comparison. don't take attention away from the fact that you're approaching fifty and have 'girl problems'. that's an altogether sadder picture. i think i can deal with being a twenty-something guy without a kid and mortgage.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Maybe the 'progressives' need to take a step back. Not everyone wants a melting pot under sharia law.

Britain voted to take a step back, America has voted to take a step back, I bet the rest of Europe is going to follow suit while most other countries have firm borders and national identities and never went down that path. Even then the Pauline Hansons are taking ground.

You need to mature out of the idea that everyone wants to follow your radical ideology driven agenda or will let you ram it down their throats.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2017-03-05 05:10:45)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5357|London, England

uziq wrote:

technology and capitalism is making the world increasingly smaller, not bigger. it's a compensatory fantasy to keep going on about isolated and homogeneous cultures. their 'model' for centuries before oil was peasant-agrarian societies. they were not rich or advanced industrial democracies: they were european backwaters. if you want advancement, convenience, high standards of living, which for four centuries of modern european history normally meant subjugating other people and reaping their resources and labour for the benefits of the imperial centre, then you have to accept 'chaos' (which again i'm taking as a euphemism for 'brown people').

the 21st and 22nd centuries are not going to feature many successful examples of isolationism. the world market has brought us all into close proximity and working relationships – and, as trump and co. are soon about to discover, you can't take cheap labour and knockdown prices with one hand and keep everything that comes with it at bay with the other. 'well ordered' society is an anal fixation. you need to mature out of that stage of your development.
Not really, their goal is now to bring everyone in under a single government, and long term, a single culture. It's the utopia of control freaks. The EU was just the first step once they saw it wasn't possible at the UN.

Personally, I embrace entropy and adapt.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jay wrote:

Personally, I embrace entropy and adapt.
Well hardly, you won't move interstate because its 'too hard' to get your tickets recognised.
uziq
+492|3451

Dilbert_X wrote:

Maybe the 'progressives' need to take a step back. Not everyone wants a melting pot under sharia law.

Britain voted to take a step back, America has voted to take a step back, I bet the rest of Europe is going to follow suit while most other countries have firm borders and national identities and never went down that path. Even then the Pauline Hansons are taking ground.

You need to mature out of the idea that everyone wants to follow your radical ideology driven agenda or will let you ram it down their throats.
if you want a good example of a homogeneous and 'ordered' society, look at japan, a society going through it's death knells due to a failure to adapt or open itself to the world.

also i love how i'm 'driven by a racial ideology' when you're the one saying x > y because of 'nordic culture'. you're the one with a hierarchy of races here, not me. i'm not driven by any racial ideology – i think the whole idea is scientific bunkum. i love how pointing out that there's nothing special about northern european cultures means i want to 'live under shariah law'. do you take the daily mail with your regular supplements of dumb?

Last edited by uziq (2017-03-05 05:17:22)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Tickets recognized? I won't move because I like my family and want them to be around my children. My credentials can be moved between states for a fee.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6684|United States of America

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

you mean those three tiny countries who were second-rate imperial powers through the entire industrial phase of European civilisation, largely retaining their peasant-agricultural culture and traditions (denmark is essentially a country of pious pig farmers), and now are shooting way out ahead in the last century's development indexes because they have huge reserves of state-owned oil? okay, super advanced culture there.

and you do know those nordic countries are much more religious in their everyday life, right? they are very christian countries in their everyday traditions and mores. a lot of superstition. the nordic states were considered to be barbarians for much of european history. pagans, warlike, nomadic, the opposite of civilisation as it was occurring elsewhere on the continent. introducing christianity to them was considered a bumper upgrade for their civilisation.
I'm honestly glad you see through the hype. So many Americans go on and on and on about how amazing Germany and the Nordic countries are, mostly because they want all that free stuff. When you tell them that free college comes with a make or break entrance exam at 13 that has a real chance of sending you off to trade school instead of the college track they clam up. They would also cry if they ever experienced the taxes.

Then there's the whole jantelaw, which is like pc culture taken to its logical conclusion and kills creativity. My ancestors left for a reason.
It's interesting to hear this from someone slightly older than me. Many of those in my age-group I've spoken to are far more amenable to a paying higher taxes in return for actual services like cheaper education (as many are buried under tens of thousands of student loan debt thanks to the current system). A lot of people aren't against paying more taxes that will work to their benefit, rather than going into the pockets of big business and the military-industrial complex.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

if you want a good example of a homogeneous and 'ordered' society, look at japan, a society going through it's death knells due to a failure to adapt or open itself to the world.
Japan has a simple demographic problem, coupled with cheaper labour on its doorstep. Declining to let in immigrants is not the issue. China does not allow immigration and they seem to be doing OK. But for their one child policy they'd be facing oblivion soon.

also i love how i'm 'driven by a racial ideology'
Haven't said that, you're driven by a 'left wing' or 'liberal' or whatever you want to call it ideology.

i love how pointing out that there's nothing special about northern european cultures means i want to 'live under shariah law'.
Haven't said that either, northern European culture is exceptional, the inevitable consequence of allowing unchecked migration from muslim countries is that your culture and ideology will be obliterated.
Apparently Britain has decided it no longer wants to go down that track and has turned away from the liberal generosity or left-wing social engineering or Blair's cynical plan to deliver Labour votes or whatever it is that has taken them there.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

DesertFox- wrote:

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

you mean those three tiny countries who were second-rate imperial powers through the entire industrial phase of European civilisation, largely retaining their peasant-agricultural culture and traditions (denmark is essentially a country of pious pig farmers), and now are shooting way out ahead in the last century's development indexes because they have huge reserves of state-owned oil? okay, super advanced culture there.

and you do know those nordic countries are much more religious in their everyday life, right? they are very christian countries in their everyday traditions and mores. a lot of superstition. the nordic states were considered to be barbarians for much of european history. pagans, warlike, nomadic, the opposite of civilisation as it was occurring elsewhere on the continent. introducing christianity to them was considered a bumper upgrade for their civilisation.
I'm honestly glad you see through the hype. So many Americans go on and on and on about how amazing Germany and the Nordic countries are, mostly because they want all that free stuff. When you tell them that free college comes with a make or break entrance exam at 13 that has a real chance of sending you off to trade school instead of the college track they clam up. They would also cry if they ever experienced the taxes.

Then there's the whole jantelaw, which is like pc culture taken to its logical conclusion and kills creativity. My ancestors left for a reason.
It's interesting to hear this from someone slightly older than me. Many of those in my age-group I've spoken to are far more amenable to a paying higher taxes in return for actual services like cheaper education (as many are buried under tens of thousands of student loan debt thanks to the current system). A lot of people aren't against paying more taxes that will work to their benefit, rather than going into the pockets of big business and the military-industrial complex.
I bet once you add state and federal income taxes Germany probably has about the same tax rates as Jay pays. With free college and healthcare the average German is probably better off.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715

Dilbert_X wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

Jay wrote:

I bet once you add state and federal income taxes Germany probably has about the same tax rates as Jay pays. With free college and healthcare the average German is probably better off.
Too bad americans have to pay global income tax.

I know a guy who lives in singapore because his net take home is essentially more than doubled because of their taxes. I'm thinking of doing that one day.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

DesertFox- wrote:

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

When I was younger and living in an apartment with minimal expenses I could've swung higher tax rates and would've bitched, but would've been fine. Now I have a mortgage and kids and insane property taxes and realize how much of my money is squandered. Our school superintendent for my district makes around 300,000 per year for a mostly ceremonial position. Add in his secretaries and administrative staff and you start seeing why you're hit with a $14,000/yr property tax bill. Then there's the cops making $100,000+ per year to do next to nothing...

I work too hard, have too much of my labor extracted from me, and get too little in return. Listening to kids in their twenties whine about their student loans makes me want to slap the shit out of them. Most of them have less financed than the cost of a new car. In a few years they'll swing it no problem. It's all about perspective.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

Jay wrote:

About 34% in all
-Frederick Bastiat
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715

Jay wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

About 34% in all
what about property taxes sized in?

we don't pay for that shit here in aus lol (primary residence)
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Cybargs wrote:

Jay wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

About 34% in all
what about property taxes sized in?

we don't pay for that shit here in aus lol (primary residence)
I included everything: federal income, state income, property, social security, medicare, and estimated sales tax by multiplying the remainder. Yes, I realize that it's lower than other countries, but I have to pay for my own health insurance too. I also have other fees and taxes tacked onto my cell phone bill, cable etc.
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jay wrote:

About 34% in all
Do you get free healthcare and university education for your kids for that?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I have to work 70 days a year just to pay my taxes.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

About 34% in all
Do you get free healthcare and university education for your kids for that?
Nope. I get an oversized military, a giant serving of corruption and retirement benefits that won't be around when it's time for me to retire.
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jay wrote:

I have to work 70 days a year just to pay my taxes.
Good, you have many people in digital camo workfare to support and put through college.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I'm just glad kids these days don't get free college. I'd be pissed if I were paying for that.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719

Cybargs wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

I know a guy who lives in singapore because his net take home is essentially more than doubled because of their taxes. I'm thinking of doing that one day.
It makes sense to tax them as long as they hold citizenship. If they ever get kidnapped or something else, they will reach out to the U.S. for help. They should pay into it a bit.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

It makes sense to tax them as long as they hold citizenship. If they ever get kidnapped or something else, they will reach out to the U.S. for help. They should pay into it a bit.
Every other government does the same for their citizens without requiring them to pay for taxes on global income.

that sort of cost is so minute in the grand scheme of govt budgets.

Last edited by Cybargs (2017-03-05 14:07:21)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719
I still don't see why someone should be allowed to hold onto citizenship without contributing to their nation.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard