SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716
A local Federal labor relations board declared the athletes at northwestern university were technically employees and could unionize. Do you they think they should be allowed to and receive a cut of the profits from sports or do you think hey are greedy and their scholarships are enough?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6287|Washington St.
Greedy
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6733|Oxferd Ohire
Make em get a real education too
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6678|Disaster Free Zone
They shouldn't get scholarships. They should have to pay to play sports.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6772|Moscow, Russia
so, in a... ummm... free country people have to get approval of some kinda government agency before they can unionize, huh?

zomg, tyranny!
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6619|Little Bentcock

Shahter wrote:

so, in a... ummm... free country people have to get approval of some kinda government agency before they can unionize, huh?

zomg, tyranny!
You don't see where the issue may be in college athletes wanting to be in a trade union?

It's not like they are working, there isn't a need for a union. That's where the issue is.

Last edited by Adams_BJ (2014-04-08 00:52:43)

Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6772|Moscow, Russia

Adams_BJ wrote:

It's not like they are working
says who?
Adams_BJ
The college they are studying at?
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6772|Moscow, Russia
ah, so it's employer who gets to decide if they are working or not? awsm.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6102|eXtreme to the maX
College sports are retarded enough already.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Adams_BJ

Shahter wrote:

ah, so it's employer who gets to decide if they are working or not? awsm.
They are at an education institution. They aren't employed by the school. At best they are on a generous scholarship. They aren't earning money until after they leave school, or maybe tournament wins outside of their college. They don't need to be unionised and they don't deserve to be paid for playing until they get into a professional team. The scholarship is enough.

Last edited by Adams_BJ (2014-04-08 05:42:51)

Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6772|Moscow, Russia

Adams_BJ wrote:

they don't deserve to be paid for playing until they get into a professional team. The scholarship is enough.
says who?
jsnipy
+3,276|6519|...

Shahter wrote:

Adams_BJ wrote:

they don't deserve to be paid for playing until they get into a professional team. The scholarship is enough.
says who?
Adams
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6287|Washington St.
He's right. You want to get a scholarship to play sports and get an education? Go to school. You want to get paid to play sports? Don't go to school. Join the workforce and then form a union.
CC-Marley
+407|6825
Employers expect results from employees. So if a team goes 0-12 they should get zilch.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6772|Moscow, Russia

pirana6 wrote:

He's right. You want to get a scholarship to play sports and get an education? Go to school. You want to get paid to play sports? Don't go to school. Join the workforce and then form a union.
and why must it be either-or way?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716

Shahter wrote:

zomg, tyranny!
Being approved to unionize means you get government protection during the process. There are laws protecting workers from being mass fired when starting off for instance. In this case, the school would have to shut down the entire program instead of being able to mass boot the players while they decide on what to do.

I agree with you re: the pay issue (I think). I know the scholarships are nice and all but the amount of energy, time, and commitment, the players make in order for the school I think justifies more than room and board some place. Especially considering someone not in the 1% of the population who can do what these students are required to do can get the same scholarship for being the right color or poor enough. It is like a Chinese factory worker being told they should be grateful for being able to live in a factory dorm in exchange for their labor. I think both deserve a little more of the billions being made off of their suffering.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6287|Washington St.
They are already reaping the benefits of playing (winning) for their school. It's called a scholarship.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6772|Moscow, Russia

pirana6 wrote:

They are already reaping the benefits of playing (winning) for their school. It's called a scholarship.
and if they think that their time and effort as athletes worth more than they are getting they should leave the school and forgo the scholarship? why can't there be middle ground?
Adams_BJ
They can always study a real subject.  They are the for a shot at playing at the pros. That's all.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6772|Moscow, Russia

Adams_BJ wrote:

They are the for a shot at playing at the pros.
all of them? how do you know?
and even if they are, why can't they have a say on the matter of compensation for their efforts as athletes?
Adams_BJ

Shahter wrote:

Adams_BJ wrote:

They are the for a shot at playing at the pros.
all of them? how do you know?
and even if they are, why can't they have a say on the matter of compensation for their efforts as athletes?
The college is giving them the opportunity, coaching and the facilities to be picked up by a pro team, and compensating it with a free college spot and accommodation.  They aren't being employed by the university. If they make money it's through endorsements or maybe prize money. They aren't getting paid to compete, so there's no need for a union.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6772|Moscow, Russia

Adams_BJ wrote:

The college is giving them the opportunity, coaching and the facilities to be picked up by a pro team, and compensating it with a free college spot and accommodation.  They aren't being employed by the university. If they make money it's through endorsements or maybe prize money. They aren't getting paid to compete, so there's no need for a union.
are you reading the questions, dude? i got this ^, really, i understand perfectly well the way it is organized. the question is, i repeat:
why must it be that way?

Last edited by Shahter (2014-04-09 05:15:45)

Adams_BJ

Shahter wrote:

Adams_BJ wrote:

are you reading the questions, dude? i got this ^, really, i understand perfectly well the way it is organized. the question is, i repeat:
why must it be that way?
BEcause they aren't being employed by the college, they are 'studying' there, but really its just to give them the best possible chance to be picked up by a pro team. It's a privilege to get a free ride and access to those world class coaching staff and facilities.

If they were employed by the university then they probably would be unionised, but they aren't.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6772|Moscow, Russia

Adams_BJ wrote:

Shahter wrote:

Adams_BJ wrote:

why must it be that way?
BEcause they aren't being employed by the college
why not?
they are 'studying' there, but really its just to give them the best possible chance to be picked up by a pro team.
why are you so sure that does actually give them the "best possible chance"? as far as i can tell, for most of them that's their only chance, and that usually means abuse and exploitation.
It's a privilege to get a free ride and access to those world class coaching staff and facilities.
and if they don't agree? if they want to be compensated for their efforts in other ways?
If they were employed by the university then they probably would be unionised, but they aren't.
again, why not?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard