Larssen
+99|1886
I'm not a UK citizen and you left regardless, what do you want me to say about it? Apparently not illegal enough to convict anyone or overturn the result. Has there even been a court case?

It was deceitful, it was morally bankrupt, perhaps it was illegal. They still won, and yes, evidently, to the victor went the spoils. In the internet era the left has been hopelessly behind. Whether that be through failing to notice the influence of social media and regulate these platforms or through the failure to effectively use them for their own ends. They fucked up.

The guardian is liberal left leaning and open about it. It wasn't an indictment of the guardian as a publication, they're good.
uziq
+492|3451
i don't disagree at all that the right-wing have been better at seizing internet media and taking the initiative with these evasive and unaccountable strategies.

but i would hardly start a sentence to describe their success with 'the point is ...'. is that really 'the point'? to effectively cheat and side-step regulated channels of political communication? what sort of thing is that to celebrate and wave around over 'the left's' head, whatever sort of left is supposed to congregate on the pages of the liberal manchester guardian?

The guardian is liberal left leaning and open about it. It wasn't an indictment of the guardian as a publication, they're good.
funny that you don't want to indict them and also call them the left. they spent the entire years running up to the brexit referendum poking holes in jeremy corbyn and demonizing the labour party under him. very rear-guard stuff. not exactly 'the left' that 'fucked up'.

Last edited by uziq (2021-01-17 08:32:52)

uziq
+492|3451
yes there were court cases, several.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/dark-m … erent-way/

for various quasi-constitutional and legislative reasons the electoral commission which headed the findings of wrongdoing is effectively a powerless bauble and the UK prime minister is welcome to ignore them at his/her will.  but wrongdoing was found in the UK high court and by parliamentary committee.

i'm not of the view that any referendum should be reversed or repeated, but calling the campaign 'genius marketing' and 'winning by simple rhetoric alone' is an absolute joke. acknowledge it for what it was and for what the courts said about it.

Last edited by uziq (2021-01-17 08:37:57)

uziq
+492|3451
also, the left in this period built one of the largest grassroots movements in europe, via momentum. they had far more door-to-door political canvassing, far more 'traditional' politics, brought onboard those annoying old archaisms like the labour and union movement, etc.

the conservatives had relatively little grassroots organization, in fact arranged several appallingly bad on-the-ground campaigns (most notably theresa may's car-crash of a campaign), and relied, instead, on extremely wealthy and shadowy networks of donations propping up digital advertising campaigns.

i'd just be a little more considered in how gleefully you tear down the 'dinosaur left', if i were you. right-wing political campaigns that accept dirty and illegal funding from labyrinthine overseas funding sources is not exactly the 'cutting-edge' contemporary politics i want.

i think the solution is to empower electoral regulators more and to update the electoral rule book, not to be triumphalist about cambridge analytica gripping an antique voting system by the balls.

Last edited by uziq (2021-01-17 08:49:44)

Larssen
+99|1886
It's unbelievable how any criticism of the left is in your eyes an implicit defence of the far right. Do you ever step back and consider that, perhaps, you yourself have fallen way down a rabbit hole of what the yanks call partisanship? In literally any political argument I have to underline again and again that I have no love for the far right. I'm a 'eurocrat' ffs it's like the complete opposite end of the political spectrum. The argument is starting to bore me. You're remarkably consistent in utopian idealism though, I'll give you that.
uziq
+492|3451
i didn't vote for jeremy corbyn and i didn't support momentum. hardly 'partisan'.

triumphalism over the latest generation of populist right-wing tactics seems, to me, misguided.

haven't you bemoaned how half of europe is falling into the snares of this stuff? i swear to god you've been on here moaning about how 'lost' some people seem to online fake news, misinformation, parroting talking points planted in their heads by no-gooders?

now it's just great that unaccountable, shadily funded big data analytics companies are turning the course of elections by ... really craftily disseminating misinformation?

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/23/cambrid … tions.html

'remarkably consistent in utopian idealism' lmao. ok larssen. 'the EU is the best invention in the history of politics and will survive forever, continually improving itself, until we perfect liberal democracy. oh but also the right-wing are just really genius at lying online, really, master operators!'.

I'm a 'eurocrat' ffs it's like the complete opposite end of the political spectrum.
last time i checked, most of european-level politics takes place under similar conditions of closed-door secrecy and through similarly unaccountable, unelected elites. it's why i'm not surprised that you're so cavalier about the way these groups won their victory. there's something slightly machiavellian about the way you eurocrats regard elections and democratic processes, isn't there?

Last edited by uziq (2021-01-17 09:51:57)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

oh so i guess that makes illegal behaviour okay.
What 'illegal behaviour'?
also, the left in this period built one of the largest grassroots movements in europe, via momentum. they had far more door-to-door political canvassing, far more 'traditional' politics, brought onboard those annoying old archaisms like the labour and union movement, etc.
Unfortunately Labour never got around to formulating a policy on Brexit. Historically Labour was anti-Europe as they saw Europe taking low-level British jobs.

So against a background of the Tories being pro-brexit and Labour being um-not-sure-yet-lets-think-about-forming-a-committee-to-have-a-look-at-it-sometime is it really a surprise brexit went through?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3451
labour's failures on brexit, like many things, were very numerous, yes.

but to use the tired trope that the left was too busy 'writing 5,000 word thinkpieces' to engage in politics is wrong and a calumny.

i don't expect larssen to take a particular interest in uk domestic politics, lord knows it's not the most interesting stuff, but it's a bit silly to dismiss the left in this debate as 'writing thinkpieces on the guardian'. the guardian were persistent critics of corbynism and the labour leadership throughout this period: all of their regular columnists like polly toynbee, nick cohen, etc, were sharpening their knives. so i don't really know how the left were too busy writing thinkpieces for newspapers that didn't support them?

in fact they built the largest grassroots movement in europe. you don't have to be a partisan to point out this inconvenient fact.

What 'illegal behaviour'?
vote leave and the brexit campaign committed several unlawful acts and were fined for it. found guilty by the high court and a parliamentary commission. if you submit to the authority of the supreme court on the twitter-blocking argument, you can shut up and listen to the ratio decidendi of the high court.

https://www.dw.com/en/brexit-vote-leave … a-49750297

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr … vote-leave
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
OK, so Vote Leave marginally exceeded their spending cap.
Wow this is earthshaking stuff.

Meanwhile Labour didn't have any kind of position on Brexit, and they might well have come out pro-Brexit.
Data analytics or not this is probably a much bigger issue.
uziq
+492|3451
you asked me how they broke the law, i showed you. trump blocking a few users isn't exactly earth-shaking stuff either, but you had no problem referring to the legal ruling there as some sort of statement of principle?

that's only the beginning of the picture. the parliamentary commission found that the campaign was thoroughly mendacious and spread misinformation. unfortunately the parliament and the electoral commission can't exactly 'do' much about this flagrant breach of the rules except dole out pitifully small fines. there are no strong legal reprimands.

dominic cummings was held as being in contempt of parliament as part of the same affair.

the picture and their methods is thoroughly rotten from top to bottom. you can take one glance at their facebook ads above and conclude that it's not exactly cricket, old chap.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegatio … referendum

Last edited by uziq (2021-01-17 13:58:20)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Well once again I'd put their heads on pikes but there'd need to be a change in the law for it to happen.
Hopefully it'll be easier to push through without the ECJ looking over people's shoulder on everything.
uziq
+492|3451
In July 2018, the House of Commons Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee released an interim report on Disinformation and ‘fake news’, stating that the largest donor in the Brexit campaign, Arron Banks, had "failed to satisfy" the Committee that his donations came from UK sources, and may have been financed by the Russian government.[56] In February 2019, the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport select committee's 18-month investigation into disinformation and fake news published its final report,[57] calling for an inquiry to establish, in relation to the referendum, “what actually happened with regard to foreign influence, disinformation, funding, voter manipulation, and the sharing of data, so that appropriate changes to the law can be made and lessons can be learnt for future elections and referenda”.[58]
Larssen
+99|1886

uziq wrote:

i didn't vote for jeremy corbyn and i didn't support momentum. hardly 'partisan'.

triumphalism over the latest generation of populist right-wing tactics seems, to me, misguided.

haven't you bemoaned how half of europe is falling into the snares of this stuff? i swear to god you've been on here moaning about how 'lost' some people seem to online fake news, misinformation, parroting talking points planted in their heads by no-gooders?

now it's just great that unaccountable, shadily funded big data analytics companies are turning the course of elections by ... really craftily disseminating misinformation?

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/23/cambrid … tions.html

'remarkably consistent in utopian idealism' lmao. ok larssen. 'the EU is the best invention in the history of politics and will survive forever, continually improving itself, until we perfect liberal democracy. oh but also the right-wing are just really genius at lying online, really, master operators!'.

I'm a 'eurocrat' ffs it's like the complete opposite end of the political spectrum.
last time i checked, most of european-level politics takes place under similar conditions of closed-door secrecy and through similarly unaccountable, unelected elites. it's why i'm not surprised that you're so cavalier about the way these groups won their victory. there's something slightly machiavellian about the way you eurocrats regard elections and democratic processes, isn't there?
Honestly I don't think this argument of democratic unaccountability in the EU is true at all. The autonomous power of the European Commission is rather limited. They have a privileged position providing the chair of the working groups and council meetings in the EU allowing them to set the agenda, but every vote is cast by a member state. Countries that have democratically elected goverments. Every decision needs to be signed off by national ministers and/or heads of government. Then there still is the scrutiny process of the European Parliament to go through. Conceptually you can find that there definitely is democratic accountability, though the process is convoluted and may be less transparent than it sometimes should be. A difficult issue as there are many perfectly sane reasons to keep negotiations between governments behind closed doors.

I also feel we should highlight the positives in the system. The greatest being that the EU as an institution has an unparalleled capacity for very long term planning. This is ensured both through its budget cycle and decision making process. No other governmental organisation can mobilise and actually enact policies in a stable manner for stretches of decades, unmoving in the face of political upheaval in any one member state. There's pros and cons to this too but considering the long-term issues we're faced with these days (such as climate change), that long term planning capacity and resistance to the public's bipolarity is sorely needed. 

None of what I've said about the EU is utopian, it's reality. I've also never been unquestionably faithful or positive about its future. In a less succesful future I can see the development of the EU running parallel to the history of the HRE. It's possible, though not desireable, the project just plods along unsuccesfully from crisis to crisis and countries slowly chip away at its foundations. So far (though ever so slowly) the trend has thankfully been the other way around, though it will never be this superstate that some people imagine it may become. That's simply impossible and would require changing the system and founding laws of the EU entirely, if that happens I don't think you can call it the EU anymore at that point.

Yes uziq you're an idealist through and through. You showcase a permanent discontent with the way things are and there's no patience to work towards change. Everything is flawed, and there are endless appeals to moral behaviour and fairness in a world that is anything but. Maybe you should read a little more Machiavelli.

As to the Brexit and cambridge analytica fiasco, I said all that needed to be said about it in my post at the top of the page: deceitful, morally bankrupt and perhaps illegal. But they won nonetheless and the better judgment of many didn't seem to help much.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

In July 2018, the House of Commons Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee released an interim report on Disinformation and ‘fake news’, stating that the largest donor in the Brexit campaign, Arron Banks, had "failed to satisfy" the Committee that his donations came from UK sources, and may have been financed by the Russian government.[56] In February 2019, the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport select committee's 18-month investigation into disinformation and fake news published its final report,[57] calling for an inquiry to establish, in relation to the referendum, “what actually happened with regard to foreign influence, disinformation, funding, voter manipulation, and the sharing of data, so that appropriate changes to the law can be made and lessons can be learnt for future elections and referenda”.[58]
OK so none of that is illegal and the law needs to be changed to make it so.
uziq
+492|3451
we are a very long way away from ‘top notch marketing’ and ‘farage and trump winning with rhetoric and ... nothing else’, dilbert. a VERY long fucking way.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
However craftily the rhetoric was crafted and targeted it was still rhetoric, not sure why you don't want to admit this.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I think I found the whiny europeans

The EU has urged pharmaceutical firm AstraZeneca to supply it with more doses of its Covid-19 vaccine from UK plants, amid a row over shortages.

The company has infuriated the bloc by saying it can deliver only a fraction of the doses it promised for the first quarter of the year.

It blames production issues at European plants, but the EU says doses made elsewhere should make up the shortfall.

At a news conference earlier on Wednesday, Ms Kyriakides said UK factories, which have not experienced problems, were part of its deal with the company and had to deliver.

"The 27 European Union member states are united that AstraZeneca needs to deliver on its commitments in our agreements," she said.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55822602
LMAO
Larssen
+99|1886
I'm not reading that BBC analysis anywhere else? (i.e. the implication that the UK factories should be redirected to the EU)

In any case it's clear the pharmaceutical companies overpromised and underdelivered. The reasons given for the delays now are bullshit and if they won't make the contractual target of Q1 fine them imo.

Underlying that issue though is the sad fact that the EU has made itself entirely dependent on the whims of private companies in solving a pandemic. All they did was shower astrazeneca with money and of course, as expected, the company is unable to deliver its end of the bargain. What happened to utilising state power to turbocharge production here?

Last edited by Larssen (2021-01-28 00:08:43)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Larssen wrote:

What happened to utilising state power to turbocharge production here?
Erm what are you talking about? Its not as if the 'EU Govt' owns any drug factories any more than they owned Messerschmidt production.

I've seen plenty of speeches by EU officials ranting about Astra Zeneca and saying as the Belgian factories have failed (yield issues, bad batches etc) the EU should have the right to take production out of UK factories and leave the UK short.

There's a lot of wrangling about exactly what contract the EU signed with AZ, if it were watertight I'm guessing they wouldn't need to go on TV and rant about the evil Britischers.

All being well this doesn't affect me, the EU took great delight in shafting Britain and officiously enforcing things on their side, bad luck if the roundabout has now swung against them.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Feel free to watch the actual speech.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55836463
Larssen
+99|1886
I don't think brexit was to anyone's great delight but the incompetent managing of the process by successive UK governments created quite a bit of frustration and possibly some bad blood.

What the EU is simply saying is that astrazeneca has a contractual obligation and it's not bound to production in specific facilities. So they're asking the company to make good on its contract by drawing them from elsewhere or, something which is in the EUs power, by redirecting exports of required materials back to within Europe to stimulate more production here.

I suppose astrazeneca has a contractual obligation to the UK as well which the EU isn't asking them to break, important difference there.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Seems like the EU wrote a shitty contract.

In an interview on Tuesday with Italian newspaper La Repubblica, AstraZeneca CEO Pascal Soriot said the contract compelled it to make its "best effort", rather than obliging it to meet a set deadline for delivery of the vaccines.
So apparently the EU want Britain to be nice and have a British company hand over the Oxford-developed vaccine to Europeans and leave Britain short, after the shitty Brexit deal and Hamsandwichgate.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/news_feeds/icons/mobile/000/007/741/vsign-newsfeed.jpg
Larssen
+99|1886
Define best effort
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Exactly, the EU signed a shitty contract.

All those PhDs in political theory couldn't safely buy a used car.
Larssen
+99|1886
The EC has a ginormous legal affairs department. I'm sure they were very much aware of what they signed.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard