SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718

uziq wrote:

will never understand the world's obsession with british royalty or making celebs out of a monarchy.
All of the recent drama shows about the British royalty look really boring. I usually like that sort of thing but blah. The Tudors was okay.

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2020-11-27 04:10:40)

https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3451
never seen downton abbey and i won't see the crown either. why would anyone want to watch a drama about the exact same shit that has been played out in the tabloids, week in, week out, for our entire fucking lives? OMG i can't wait to see princess di on television again. i almost forgot about that. JFC.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

I've seen the first part of The Crown on a group watch before all the Di stuff that I remember from tabloid covers. Solid enough show for what it is, but I don't think I need to finish it, and would prefer to not have to watch later bits in the company of those who will be gushing over strong-lady Thatcher or whatever (a lot of Republican friends strongly adore her). Also unsure of how fair the show is to fact since I'm not weirdly obsessed with the royal family and don't have all the trivia memorized.

Downtown Abbey looks exhausting from the cover photos alone.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX
I've never given a shit about the 'Royals'.
A modern democracy doesn't need them, certainly not this shit shower.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Larssen
+99|1886
Oh I think monarchy in the 21st century is obscene, and the royals seem mostly useless people.

Nonetheless the crown is a very well produced series with fantastic set pieces and actors and I do enjoy seeing the portrayals of people like Churchill, Wilson, louis mountbatten, the suez crisis etc. Besides filming elizabeth part of the series also takes places in no.10. It's those parts I enjoy the most.
uziq
+492|3451
]Belgian police arrest 25 men including MEP as ‘sex party’ breaks curfew. A Hungarian MEP in Viktor Orbán’s rightwing party, spotted fleeing along a gutter to escape police raiding a “sex party” above a Brussels bar, has apologised for breaching Belgium’s lockdown rules. József Szájer was one of about 20 people, mainly men and including at least two EU diplomats, who attended a party held near the Grand Place on Friday evening.
so much going on there in such a short news ticker.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

I guess STDs are fake just like the coronavirus...
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
I have never been to a sex party but I guess in some lines of work you need to attend at least a handful of Eyes Wide Shut parties.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Has dilbert ever been to a (paid) sex party?
uziq
+492|3451

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I have never been to a sex party but I guess in some lines of work you need to attend at least a handful of Eyes Wide Shut parties.
the guy who was caught was one of the influential members of hungary’s christian, trad-values far-right.

what is it with nazis all being into gay gangbangs? fascists seemingly always have this creepy sexual undertow. obsessed with family values and upholding the nation but slithering off to have gangbangs in filthy brussels.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Has dilbert ever been to a (paid) sex party?
I don't want to be in a room with a bunch of naked weirdos, thanks.

An interesting part of the AIDS crisis in America in the 80s was many of the gay politicians voted against doing anything about it so people wouldn't think they were gay, the straight ones, including hard-core christians, did far more.
uziq
+492|3451
err nice victim blaming. ever wonder why closeted gay people might act that way?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
uziq
+492|3451
that book is one of the biggest bestsellers about the AIDS crisis. don't you feel clever for reading a little bookie wookie on a complex subject?

the takeaway of that book is not 'gay people are to blame and wouldn't accept help from white, christian society'.

you might need to sharpen your analysis a little bit.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I didn't say it was, I'm guessing you haven't read it.
uziq
+492|3451
An interesting part of the AIDS crisis in America in the 80s was many of the gay politicians voted against doing anything about it so people wouldn't think they were gay, the straight ones, including hard-core christians, did far more.
this sounds an awful lot like suggesting or apportioning blame on a very facile analysis of the situation.

why might gay activists be wary of privacy laws or the government categorizing them as homosexual?

why might public figures who rely upon public opinion and success at the ballot be worried about being outed as gay?

why might a minority group which are censured, viewed with suspicion, treated unequally, etc, sometimes adopt seemingly counter-productive and harmful attitudes in their interactions with wider society? even to the point of refusing help?

none of this is even remotely hinted at in your post. you seemingly like to revel in the 'irony' of straight white saviours being batted away by tricky gays.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
OK so you haven't read it.

this sounds an awful lot like suggesting or apportioning blame on a very facile analysis of the situation
OK
uziq
+492|3451
i haven't read it, no, but i've read a lot on the AIDS crisis generally. it's not exactly a recondite or recherche topic.

you've read one book on the subject and presume to be an expert. haven't you re-read the same book multiple times?

you're like a schoolchild, satisfied that he's read his one book for the term.

is your hot take on the AIDS crisis really that the gay community made it worse for themselves and deserved their lot?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
I am still baffled how something like viruses even came into existence. I can understand an organism existing that uses other organisms to replicate the way a virus does. But what happens to cause normal cells to one day completely change the way they act and decide to not only become parasitic to other cells but also shed their ability to reproduce normally and get new abilities to help them spread? And it has happened millions of times to all sorts of different organisms. I am not a creationist but I sometimes feel that yelling "evolution duh" at people doesn't sufficiently explain some of the bizarre things we discover. Viruses probably being the paramount among those.
uziq
+492|3451
that's not the craziest thing in evolution. when you think about it, so many things about our own make-up are more astounding than the origin of viruses.

like how 'one day' eukaryotic cells became a thing, due to endosymbiosis with mitochondria. our entire lifeform came about because two completeyl self-sufficient types of cell basically decided to merge.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I am not a creationist but I sometimes feel that yelling "evolution duh" at people doesn't sufficiently explain some of the bizarre things we discover. Viruses probably being the paramount among those.
In the same way yelling "electronics duh!" doesn't sufficiently explain how transistors work, or "cooking duh!" doesn't explain why yeast makes bread rise.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
Again, I am not a creationist. I am just saying that some people, most notably internet atheist/atheist book writers/etc. shouldn't be so dismissive of the complexity and weirdness of life that would make someone skeptical of the argument that a lot of this weird stuff just happened naturally "because science" .

Circling back to viruses for a moment, we only discovered them in 1892. Humans have been on Earth for hundreds of thousands of years without any idea such things exist. Do you accept that there might be more things going on around us at any moment that we don't have the ability to measure or detect? I don't think someone is a religious fundamentalist for being willing to accept that there is more to life than what the hard sciences in the year 2020 can explain. I think that is even a more open minded and worldly position than 🦜 whatever R. Dawkins says.

Also, what is cooking? Is that what happens when you put a waffle in a toaster and Jesus makes it brown for you?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

I think people well-versed in sciences do that almost like an exasperated knee-jerk parental reaction to a kid asking why they have to brush their teeth. "Because." Anyway I haven't really seen that in science books, which are normally, exhaustively on-topic. Mostly see that on internet/youtube/twitter-reposts-on-imgur arguments from the "omg science rockets elon musk watch-this-reverend-get-owned" crowd, a lot of whom maybe have a barely passing grade in high school biology (if at all), and couldn't begin to tell an atom from an electron without refreshing themselves on their cell phone.

Do you accept that there might be more things going on around us at any moment that we don't have the ability to measure or detect? I don't think someone is a religious fundamentalist for being willing to accept that there is more to life than what the hard sciences in the year 2020 can explain.
1) yes
2) religious fundamentalism is a bit different than accepting that there are things yet to be discovered and frameworks of thought yet to be developed.
Larssen
+99|1886
It's funny that it's come to BoJo himself to negotiate the withdrawal deal. You know you're truly fucked when the least competent man in the room is asked to take the wheel.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
It was always a given that BoJo would stride in at the last minute to be the hero and rescue the situation, taking the credit for the last five years of hard work put in by faceless civil servants. Classic public school-boy trick.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard