unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

I'd certainly hope not that isn't the best you could do. Your point still reads like "oh woe, teachers and nurses aren't getting paid much because 80k households eat Olive Garden takeout." So painfully misdirected.

The last time I was at an Olive Garden I think was in the 90s. Pretty forgettable experience. I favored the local Greek place instead. The dolmades were amazing and the guy had like an eidetic memory for names and faces.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5357|London, England

SuperJail Warden wrote:

The upper middle class votes for the policies that contribute to wealth inequality. They make up the support base of the Republicans. They largely do this out of selfish reasons. The gulf in wealth and lifestyle between the lower middle class and upper middle class is so wide that the term middle class is probably being abused.

Blaming the rich solely for the mass inequality in this country is as accurate as blaming the Jews for all of our problems. I don't think it helps to pretend that the upper middle class is innocent in all of this. As I said before with other issues in America: Americans are other Americans worst enemy.

I like to talk about Olive Garden takeout because it is a good example of what little the upper middle class would lose if we had a broader social safety net. And it displays how little Americans would cut each other's throats for.
Oh man, you've gone full teacher's union shill. Yes, us upper middle class whine when our property taxes are raised and we don't see positive results coming out of the schools. Poor results are always blamed on inadequate funding. Always. Yet private school teachers do the same or better work for half the pay. Amazing, that.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I'd certainly hope not that isn't the best you could do. Your point still reads like "oh woe, teachers and nurses aren't getting paid much because 80k households eat Olive Garden takeout." So painfully misdirected.

The last time I was at an Olive Garden I think was in the 90s. Pretty forgettable experience. I favored the local Greek place instead. The dolmades were amazing and the guy had like an eidetic memory for names.
How poor is rural Washington State that you think $80,000 is upper middle class? The doomed car mechanic makes about that a year in my part of the country.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

The last time I was at an Olive Garden I think was in the 90s. Pretty forgettable experience. I favored the local Greek place instead. The dolmades were amazing and the guy had like an eidetic memory for names and faces.
Teachers here make six figures.

I've never eaten at Olive Garden. I grew up in a town that was half italian and had 17 pizza places. One for every 2,000 residents.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

The upper middle class votes for the policies that contribute to wealth inequality. They make up the support base of the Republicans. They largely do this out of selfish reasons. The gulf in wealth and lifestyle between the lower middle class and upper middle class is so wide that the term middle class is probably being abused.

Blaming the rich solely for the mass inequality in this country is as accurate as blaming the Jews for all of our problems. I don't think it helps to pretend that the upper middle class is innocent in all of this. As I said before with other issues in America: Americans are other Americans worst enemy.

I like to talk about Olive Garden takeout because it is a good example of what little the upper middle class would lose if we had a broader social safety net. And it displays how little Americans would cut each other's throats for.
Oh man, you've gone full teacher's union shill. Yes, us upper middle class whine when our property taxes are raised and we don't see positive results coming out of the schools. Poor results are always blamed on inadequate funding. Always. Yet private school teachers do the same or better work for half the pay. Amazing, that.
Private schools can reject the blacks and Mexicans that fill the public school your kids are going to attend. That's the only reason the private schools do so well.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719
Newbie's tranny workshop makes $80,000 in direct sales a year and he probably thinks he is right at the cusp of upper middle class.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Private schools can reject the blacks and Mexicans that fill the public school your kids are going to attend. That's the only reason the private schools do so well.
True. They do have diversity quotas though.

My oldest kid is probably going to private school. We just had him tested and the public school will probably skip him ahead instead of challenging him. I want him in his age group for school.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3451

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

yesterday Jay was effortlessly identifying himself as 'middle' class.
today he's 'upper-middle' class.

does this air-conditioning engineer know no bounds? upper-middle class in the UK is judges, surgeons, well-educated cosmopolitan journalists, etc.

Last edited by uziq (2020-02-19 09:25:14)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

My oldest kid is probably going to private school. We just had him tested and the public school will probably skip him ahead instead of challenging him. I want him in his age group for school.
How old is your kid? I feel like private school Pre-K and K is a waste of money. The further you go up in grade level the more worth you will get from private education. I highly suggest you not wait past 6th grade.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

does this air-conditioning engineer know no bounds? upper-middle class in the UK is judges, surgeons, well-educated cosmopolitan journalists, etc.
I am a professional engineer.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

How old is your kid? I feel like private school Pre-K and K is a waste of money. The further you go up in grade level the more worth you will get from private education. I highly suggest you not wait past 6th grade.
Entering kindergarten.

Agreed. The original plan was to transfer him to private school for middle school. He tested in the 99th percentile though, so I'd rather not waste his talent in a place that spends all it's time on discipline. Which... thinking back, wasn't an issue in elementary school.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3451
i'm grateful to live in a country where the price of your home doesn't dictate your class. imagine a navy pog going around like he's some haute bourgeois. it's really too unbearable.
uziq
+492|3451
the real upper-middle class leave their children in charge of schools like phillips exeter, jay, not the local lutheran school on the corner. your children are going to be abused by pederasts and they won't even have social status to show for it.
Larssen
+99|1887

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

Entering kindergarten.

Agreed. The original plan was to transfer him to private school for middle school. He tested in the 99th percentile though, so I'd rather not waste his talent in a place that spends all it's time on discipline. Which... thinking back, wasn't an issue in elementary school.
You have the right idea keeping him in his age group. Regardless of academic talent there's a ton of other things he needs to learn/experience. Skipping ahead or isolating a kid with other 'smarter peers' from a young age is never a good idea.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

i'm grateful to live in a country where the price of your home doesn't dictate your class. imagine a navy pog going around like he's some haute bourgeois. it's really too unbearable.
America is awesome, innit? Land of opportunity.

Dunno what you're on about though, mate. Professional Engineer is on par, respectability-wise, with doctors and lawyers. Professional class. It's even in the title! Pays well, too, it does. I get to use me brain and erryting.
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719
I feel like being one year ahead of the other kids won't hurt your kids social development unless he has autism or is a weeb. One of the girls in my homeroom is a year ahead and another is a year behind. I wouldn't know unless they said something and I have access to all of their records.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Larssen wrote:

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Entering kindergarten.

You have the right idea keeping him in his age group. Regardless of academic talent there's a ton of other things he needs to learn/experience. Skipping ahead or isolating a kid with other 'smarter peers' from a young age is never a good idea.
Right, which is why we kept him back. He has a September birthday, so we had the option of starting him at 4 or 5. We chose 5 so he'd be mature for his class. Now I'm worried the local schools won't be able to keep him interested academically. He's already reading and doing math.
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719
You should all be more worried about your children getting addicted to H regardless of what school they go to. The private schools actually have a worse problem with hard drugs.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

You should all be more worried about your children getting addicted to H regardless of what school they go to. The private schools actually have a worse problem with hard drugs.
Mo money mo problems
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719
Poor parenting in the white community leads to entitled kids thinking "it won't be me" or staying away from less dangerous black and poor drugs like crack and meth because that is low class.

But that is for the dead white people thread.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Poor parenting in any community causes the same issues. As long as drug use is rebellious, and thus cool, the issue won't go away. Raise your kids to not be shallow and the issue solves itself.
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

Jay wrote:

I don't think engineer is a prestige position. It's a word you can stick to any  number of job titles to make them sound better but still pay crap. It's like a car mechanic calling themselves an automotive technicians. Telecommunications Engineer: climbs trees to fix internet. One slip or shock away from gruesome death and a LiveLeak page.

If I had to classify what a prestige job would be I would say it was something that dealt with large amounts of money and moving it around. Corporate lawyer, wall street stuff, etc. Basically your job is so great that you don't have to actually do anything besides manipulate numbers that other people produce the hard way.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719
Intangibles, the best jobs are the ones where you deal with nothing physical or will ever become physical. Journalist, t.v. people etc. Your time is the product.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

I don't think engineer is a prestige position. It's a word you can stick to any  number of job titles to make them sound better but still pay crap. It's like a car mechanic calling themselves an automotive technicians. Telecommunications Engineer: climbs trees to fix internet. One slip or shock away from gruesome death and a LiveLeak page.

If I had to classify what a prestige job would be I would say it was something that dealt with large amounts of money and moving it around. Corporate lawyer, wall street stuff, etc. Basically your job is so great that you don't have to actually do anything besides manipulate numbers that other people produce the hard way.
Lol, ok.
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

SuperJail Warden wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

The last time I was at an Olive Garden I think was in the 90s. Pretty forgettable experience. I favored the local Greek place instead. The dolmades were amazing and the guy had like an eidetic memory for names.
How poor is rural Washington State that you think $80,000 is upper middle class? The doomed car mechanic makes about that a year in my part of the country.
I live in a Washington suburb. Rural's a ways out east. I don't think $80,000 is upper middle class. I also don't think that eating takeout from Olive Garden qualifies.

Do you think eating breadsticks and paying fair wages are two mutually exclusive things?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard