uziq
+492|3451
that will never happen, and sounds ridiculously alarmist. we are still the fifth largest economy in the world, we can raise money for a national health service via taxation and budgeting like any of the other medium-sized western countries in europe who also have state healthcare.

Last edited by uziq (2019-10-01 05:50:52)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX
When the city of London dies, and it likely will, thats 20-30% of the economy gone. Good luck funding anything then.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3451
are 70 million people going to stop paying income tax/national insurance because the financial hub moves to frankfurt?

and where, exactly, does putin come into this picture?

Last edited by uziq (2019-10-01 06:38:51)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
If they don't have jobs then yes, they'll stop paying taxes.

And only 32 million out of 70 million actually work.
Of that I'd guess fewer than half are net tax contributors, a quarter barely contribute anything, that leaves 8 million people in the UK paying any significant level of tax - and the country is barely afloat as it it.

So really 8 million people are working to keep the other 62 million going. Not too hard to see how that can go wrong.

Crimp the city and credit fast becomes deficit.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2019-10-01 18:16:00)

uziq
+492|3451
quaint arithmetic, but entirely made up in your own head. the ONS crunch these figures every year - as you’d expect they might - and the top 40% of earners are net contributors to the economy (you’re right that the ‘squeezed middle’ are often net losses to society; an average household can end up taking about £4-5k a year from the national purse). 

but the top 40% of earners still represent a vast amount of wealth. the top rates of taxation are still relatively low, compared to almost everywhere else in europe. the national budget can still be changed to funnel more money to the NHS. the idea we’ll have to sell off the national assets as soon as the city gets impacted is alarmist nonsense.

the real risk and drain on our national finances will be the national pension, as the population pyramid tops dangerously overboard. especially considering that lots of people are retiring with higher and higher earnings.

obviously no-deal brexit is going to be a disaster for the UK economy, without doubt. they were just discussing in the welsh parliament yesterday that the latest forecast predicts a 9% shrinkage in the welsh economy in the next 10 years. that’s pretty sickening tbh.

Last edited by uziq (2019-10-02 01:01:17)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I'll dig up the figures but I bet of the top 40% many are barely contributing.

Few people are retiring on final salary schemes though these days, their pension just won't deliver what they expected and a lot of people have been sold really shitty pensions.

9% Over ten years, call it ten years of recession, and the last ten years haven't exactly been stellar.
uziq
+492|3451
you're right that tax avoidance and off-shoring by the top quintile is probably rampant.

but 32 million people in gainful employment can find a way to pay for nationalised healthcare. we are a rich nation and it is a question of political will, not affordability.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
If a 9% contraction were spread across the rest of the country, and I reckon it easily could be, there would be trouble.

It would be very useful for Putin to have the EU break up, and for one of two nuclear powers separated off - so much for an EU defence force.
Putin has his fingers in many pies and I'd be very surprised if he weren't somewhere in Brexit.
Larssen
+99|1886
An EU 'defence force' is an issue which is entirely separated from Brexit.
uziq
+492|3451
and all this economic self-harm for a lie wrapped within a lie, no?

only a tiny hardline fraction ever wanted a no-deal brexit before 2015 -- real fringe group stuff.

boris johnson was in support of the single market and was pro-european, saying as much to meetings with business and industry.
rees-mogg wanted a second confirmatory referendum once a deal had been negotiated.
michael gove said time and time again that negotiations and deals would be made after the result, as a matter of course.

here are excerpts from an april 2016 speech by gove on behalf of the leave campaign.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EDdGIPIXYAAXzqn?format=jpg&name=900x900
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EDdGIPJXUAETZmt?format=jpg&name=900x900
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EDdGIPJWwAAHWbb?format=jpg&name=900x900
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EDdGIPKXkAAr-SM?format=jpg&name=900x900

talk about project fear – project fantasy or project mendacity, more like.

nigel farage, for his part and in the cause of agitating, said on record that a marginal result such as '51:49' would have to go to a second referendum, he wouldn't lie down and accept it.

now we're being told that we must just GET ON WITH IT, etc.

it's all a sick joke perpetrated by fools, signifying nothing.
Larssen
+99|1886
So the new backstop proposal has been published.

Unlikely the Irish government will approve it.
Very unlikely parliament will approve it.

Will Boris torpedo into no deal on the 31st? Are we banking on the law which tells him to seek an extension?

Ironically if no deal does happen a hard border will have to be made between NI and Ireland and talks have to start over again after the 31st. This is such a headache.
uziq
+492|3451

Larssen wrote:

So the new backstop proposal has been published.

Unlikely the Irish government will approve it.
Very unlikely parliament will approve it.

Will Boris torpedo into no deal on the 31st? Are we banking on the law which tells him to seek an extension?

Ironically if no deal does happen a hard border will have to be made between NI and Ireland and talks have to start over again after the 31st. This is such a headache.
hilary benn: a thread.
https://twitter.com/hilarybennmp/status … 63072?s=21
Larssen
+99|1886
Honestly I do see possibility for a compromise with the EU here even though it's very unlikely. Only Ireland would object against the customs union in NI, let's say that part is scrapped and checks of goods and people happens between NI and England.

Hard to pass in parliament but I can see the EU agreeing to that.
uziq
+492|3451
i can’t.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/917A/production/_108824273_chimps2.jpg
uziq
+492|3451
if a man by 50 gets the face he deserves, then a stupid and bankrupt nation gets the stupid and obvious art it deserves. banksy’s ‘commentary’ is on the level of a pisswad. it’s art for dumbos who like to be clapped heavily on the back every time they look at something with a hint of meaning for ‘getting it’. well done!
Larssen
+99|1886
I do like his aesthetic tho

And he's just really good at marketing his art in the digital age.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
I never cared for his graffiti. Graffiti is vandalism in most cases.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3451
i live in the centre of the city he’s from and have about 4 of his earliest original graffiti works within 10-15 minutes walk of my apartment. they are always surrounded by tourists taking pictures, not sure what for really except to post to instagram and thereby certify that they’ve ‘seen’ it. i don’t have the absolute definition of what art is ‘for’, but i’m pretty sure that’s not it.

kicking out clichéd ‘criticisms’ of capitalism that everyone gets, consumes, and then quickly moves on from doesn’t really seem all that revolutionary to me. warhol put campbell’s soup tins in a gallery 60 years ago. have we not moved on?

it’s all fairly adolescent-rebellion type stuff, really, nothing more. most teenagers grow out of graffiti.

Last edited by uziq (2019-10-04 06:18:39)

uziq
+492|3451

Larssen wrote:

I do like his aesthetic tho

And he's just really good at marketing his art in the digital age.
and jeff koons is good at networking and getting his art ‘out there’. doesn’t mean it’s anything other than smug trash for millionaires to collect and boast about.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718

uziq wrote:

i live in the centre of the city he’s from and have about 4 of his earliest original graffiti works within 10-15 minutes walk of my apartment. they are always surrounded by tourists taking pictures, not sure what for really except to post to instagram and thereby certify that they’ve ‘seen’ it. i don’t have the absolute definition of what art is ‘for’, but i’m pretty sure that’s not it.

kicking out clichéd ‘criticisms’ of capitalism that everyone gets, consumes, and then quickly moves on from doesn’t really seem all that revolutionary to me. warhol put campbell’s soup tins in a gallery 60 years ago. have we not moved on?

it’s all fairly adolescent-rebellion type stuff, really, nothing more. most teenagers grow out of graffiti.
Art and capitalism has always had a close connection. All of the Renaissance painters, sculptors, and architects, were paid by rich people to make their art. It wasn't until deep into the industrial revolution that non-wealthy people could afford to spend time and money working on art for its own sake.

That's all cool. I love putting Renaissance paintings of famous kings, queens and generals into my school presentation to give people a face to associate with a name while we spend time on a subject. I also like showing off the great architecture of places we talk about since most kids will never get a chance to see it on Facebook let alone in person. Students love seeing fancy buildings from places they want to visit  All of that money rich people spent one-upping each other had a lasting influence and even utility in the modern world. A banksy graffiti is definitely not going to be relevant to anything 500 years from now.

I took a art history class in college and the art teacher hated post World War 2 modern art. He felt that it was bizarre that in the modern world with all the fantastic things we have now the most revered and talked about art is ridiculous stuff like this
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/34/f0/c1/34f0c1ec50ab96ede20e593ac64bc7b4.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3451
that's a really bad and lazy generalisation about modern art. it reads like you literally took an art history 101 class as an elective to make up a few credits.

not all modern art is extreme minimalism or abstract expressionism. these were relatively tiny movements, but of course because they happened in new york city you take it as a global characterisation of all art after 1945 (bizarre periodisation for an art historian tbh; the art of 1930 is clearly in a continuum with late '40s work in many ways).

but yes, of course, art has always been about material objects in very real social circles and markets, and not some ethereal visitation. i don't think banksy is really getting that deep about it, into the aesthetics of art and notions like 'value', which a lot of art professors will spend a lot of effort untangling. it's more just the fact that his works are fucking dumb, one-note, surface level wise cracks.

banksy isn't an artist, he's a wit. what he does is about on a level with a political cartoonist or a caricaturist. you see the work and get it in 5 seconds, it makes you chuckle, and you move on. it doesn't express a worldview, it doesn't present you with beauty or revelation, it doesn't give you occasion to pause and ponder; it doesn't challenge you in any way, which is pretty fundamental to the 'encounter' with art. he makes witty cartoon stencils. great. i don't know why everyone holds him up to be some sage representative who has one up on the stuffy 'art world' or some mouthpiece of the zeitgeist. anyone can make 'lol capitalism' or 'lol politicians are dumb' jokes.

Last edited by uziq (2019-10-04 08:27:08)

uziq
+492|3451
on hedge funds and EU politics.
https://twitter.com/OGMurphy1/status/11 … 2059285504

one for all the 'free market will fix everything' solutionists; or, how capitalism is the greatest good.

sorry for so much twitter content, it's my best way of browsing things at the office.

Last edited by uziq (2019-10-07 04:20:08)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

if a man by 50 gets the face he deserves, then a stupid and bankrupt nation gets the stupid and obvious art it deserves. banksy’s ‘commentary’ is on the level of a pisswad. it’s art for dumbos who like to be clapped heavily on the back every time they look at something with a hint of meaning for ‘getting it’. well done!
Oh wow, I just noticed, all the MPs are chimpanzees!

Its pop-art commentary, I like his graffiti, its not as if he's claiming to be the next Leonardo Di Caprio.

Capitalism gives us feudalism, I think we should go back to it.
uziq
+492|3451
the next leonardo di caprio, dilbert?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard