Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6103|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

i wonder why ford is doing better in britain than in germany? it can’t possibly be because they make audis, bmw’s and volkswagens, among others, which are all infinitely preferable to a ford? must be those scheming quondam Nazis!!!!
Fords are also made in Germany, sales there are flagging worse than other regions apparently.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3449
must be because the european’s are all conniving to undermine ... anglo-saxon civilisation in general? i’m really not sure where you’re going with that anecdote. compare to how BMW have treated their UK concerns?
Larssen
+99|1884

Dilbert_X wrote:

Larssen wrote:

Internally many parties in the UK have always framed the participation in the EU as one in which the UK is under constant assault, especially by those pesky French and Germans. ... the idea that it is somehow suffering at the whims of a french-german alliance is categorically untrue.
Thats the way its been perceived for a long time, with plenty of evidence behind it.

Anecdotally working in Ford of Europe the first instinct of any German in Ford or its suppliers seemed to be to fuck over the British arm - instead of all working together like good Europeans.
Right now Ford sales are doing much better in Britain and other countries than Germany, but Ford Germany have swung it so most of the R+D in Britain is being shut down and moved to Germany.
Ah yes your experience working for an american auto manufacturer in Europe illuminated to you the internal workings of the European Union and the natural instincts of the Homo Germanicus.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716
Ford cars are just known as bad in America with the only exception being their pickup truck. If it wasn't for the Ford 150 the company would be bankrupt. Their stock already lost nearly half its value in the last 4 years.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3449
american cars are bad and it is down to corporate shenanigans and european corruption that their cars don't sell well in a country that has the world's best automotive industry. very hot take, dilbert.

anyway, back to reality. this is good enough for now.

concise, well chosen, masterful – an unanimous decision. i am grateful for our courts and institutions.

He said parliament was being prorogued, for an unusually long time,  to prepare for a Queens speech but with no evidence there was another reason I don't see how the judges made the leap to say he lied or acted illegally.
their reasoning seems quite clear to me.

Last edited by uziq (2019-09-24 05:21:39)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5355|London, England

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Ford cars are just known as bad in America with the only exception being their pickup truck. If it wasn't for the Ford 150 the company would be bankrupt. Their stock already lost nearly half its value in the last 4 years.
F150 sucks too. The Japanese make better, more durable pickup trucks.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

F150 sucks too. The Japanese make better, more durable pickup trucks.
The Japanese and Korean trucks are more expensive due to a decades long tariff on foreign pick-up trucks also. So they have little reason to try and improve on their trucks since getting your big F-150 is a rite of passage for rural people.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Larssen
+99|1884

uziq wrote:

american cars are bad and it is down to corporate shenanigans and european corruption that their cars don't sell well in a country that has the world's best automotive industry. very hot take, dilbert.

anyway, back to reality. this is good enough for now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFJ7IEPUUAo

concise, well chosen, masterful – an unanimous decision. i am grateful for our courts and institutions.

He said parliament was being prorogued, for an unusually long time,  to prepare for a Queens speech but with no evidence there was another reason I don't see how the judges made the leap to say he lied or acted illegally.
their reasoning seems quite clear to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGq5MAC9GfI
The tabloid comment sections are a hilarious read today.

My guess is a general election will be called now.
uziq
+492|3449
no surprises that people gleaning information from social media and the internet, decrying the ‘mainstream media’, elide their conspiratorial views onto the judiciary, too. that way of thinking only leads one way: into being manipulated as a mass by the demagogues controlling the data feeds. good luck to them. they’re in for a miserable time.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

must be because the european’s are all conniving to undermine ... anglo-saxon civilisation in general? i’m really not sure where you’re going with that anecdote. compare to how BMW have treated their UK concerns?
It was more my experience of working with Germans than pushing any particular car brand.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
So British politics is now a competition between two mindless morons who both really really want to be PM but don't have any thoughts in their heads on what to do when they get there.
uziq
+492|3449
the labour conference set out some of the most radical domestic politics for quite some time. i wouldn't say they are 'devoid of thoughts'.

the conservative party has taken the country – the union, even – to the brink of distintegration for the sake of their pet peeve, the EU, and internecine warfare. their election manifesto is basically 'we are going to deliver brexit', and that's it. they are sounding increasingly like the single-issue UKIP party. meanwhile boris is trying to throw a few sops to the much-immiserated populace, claiming to u-turn on their decade of austerity and suddenly start spending left, right and centre. law and order stuff, mostly, of course. really just no vision at all. 

labour have outlined a wide programme of nationalisation, cutting the work week to 32 hours, increasing the minimum wage, giving workers a dividend for their company, etc. they even tabled and passed a motion to abolish private education, tout court. regardless of what you think about it (and i have many misgivings), to say that they are without ideas is pretty much nonsense. it's the most out there, blatantly ideological political programme in quite some time, totally outside of the mainstream of centrist politics.

Last edited by uziq (2019-09-25 06:12:28)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I was thinking more of Corbyn himself, I've heard him do nothing but carp on about an election so he can be PM.
uziq
+492|3449
not sure what news you're reading. corbyn has refused the conservatives' cynical attempts to call a general election ... twice. and probably a third time, seeing as they are calling for a third shortly. corbyn's team don't want an election right now.

labour do have an incredibly tough task in handling the conservatives' brexit psychodrama. their traditional voting base is hopelessly divided on both sides of the issue. the best they can come up with is 'we'll let the people decide it', which isn't exactly convincing. but it does look somewhat reasonable next to the conservatives 'out at any cost by october 31' or the lib dems 'we will cancel the whole thing'.

corbyn is a terrible leader and has categorically failed in his role as leader of the opposition during brexit. he is a life-long eurosceptic (for some quite shaky left-wing theoretical reasons). but i don't envy labour's predicament.

Last edited by uziq (2019-09-25 06:35:17)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
He's been carping on about an election for ages, now he doesn't have the poll numbers he's backtracking.

Parliament voted for the referendum 544:53, thats where parliament threw away its right to take decisions, they've been fucking around ever since.
At this point I think a referendum on whatever deal is proposed is the only way to settle it, failing that an election.
uziq
+492|3449
the problem started when we opted to accommodate populism in a democracy. the politicians in control (cameron et al) didn't have a clue what they were unleashing in the era of social media, big data and dodgy interests (look at who funded, and by what means, all of the patently dishonest adverts and disinformation campaigns online). people get their information from facebook and twitter adverts that are designed to make them angry and pissed off, clickbait essentially, not from open sources of 'facts' as referenda are supposed to work.

we have essentially pitted two forms of politics against one another, representative democracy and direct populism, and we are in a constitutional crisis as a result. we have a prime minister appealing to 'the will of the people' in parliament, to turn his executive against parliament, to quash the ruling of the judiciary, to call parliament-approved acts and bills 'surrender acts', 'coward bills', etc. he goes into the commons chamber to shout and posture over the heads of those in the room to the audience at home, hoovering up untruths from rancorous tabloid front-pages or carefully edited 5 second video clips for the facebook pages.

same shit as with trump in the US. politics is lagging badly behind the way people receive information and organise nowadays.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

the problem started when we opted to accommodate populism in a democracy. the politicians in control (cameron et al) didn't have a clue what they were unleashing in the era of social media, big data and dodgy interests (look at who funded, and by what means, all of the patently dishonest adverts and disinformation campaigns online). people get their information from facebook and twitter adverts that are designed to make them angry and pissed off, clickbait essentially, not from open sources of 'facts' as referenda are supposed to work.

we have essentially pitted two forms of politics against one another, representative democracy and direct populism, and we are in a constitutional crisis as a result. we have a prime minister appealing to 'the will of the people' in parliament, to turn his executive against parliament, to quash the ruling of the judiciary, to call parliament-approved acts and bills 'surrender acts', 'coward bills', etc. he goes into the commons chamber to shout and posture over the heads of those in the room to the audience at home, hoovering up untruths from rancorous tabloid front-pages or carefully edited 5 second video clips for the facebook pages.

same shit as with trump in the US. politics is lagging badly behind the way people receive information and organise nowadays.
So you are only pro democracy when the rest of your countrymen agree with you? The rest of the time they are uneducated morons who need to be shielded by their betters? Not very anarcho-syndicalist of you.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3449
where did you get that from? there are lots of ultra-remainer, pro-EU types that are equally as infuriating and insufferable to me.

the issue is that a prime minister trying to galvanise and unite the far-right tendencies in politics (i.e. the UKIP vote) is flouting democratic protocol to do it. in case you haven't been following, in the short weeks he has been in the role, he has: lost all 6 votes in parliament, excluded 21 senior MPs from his own party, destroying his own majority and precipitating a state where there is no government able to execute parliamentary politics, illegally shut down parliament and presented a case to the queen that was 'null and void'. any one of those would be enough to finish a PM. but the logic here is that he isn't playing the 'game' of parliament with its normal operating 'rules'. he is appealing directly to 'the people', so says, to do and act exactly as he wishes, without contrition of any kind. he is prepared to frustrate parliament, mislead the queen, and incite the people.

rather than be humble in the face of a unanimous defeat in the supreme court, he stands in parliament saying he believes they were wrong. there wasn't a single dissenting opinion in the supreme court, in which the full 11 judges were called; it's pretty rare for there to be a unanimous decision with anything over 6 judges, really.  but no, he thinks the top legal authorities in the land were wrong. he continually repeats that the defeat he suffered in parliament, passing a new act, is a 'surrender bill'. an MP was murdered in the streets over this brexit issue by a far-right activist shouting out 'traitor!' this is a shocking and shameless state of affairs -- and it's not the remainers acting this way.

i am remarking on what has led to the quite unbelievable scenes in parliament yesterday, for example, where a prime minister found to be acting illegally held the courts, parliament and entire process in contempt. if it was a remainer faction being enabled to act in the same way, i would say the same thing; if the remainers were doing the same, i would absolutely have the same complaint.

in any other time before this, a prime minister in such a situation would have had to resign. cabinet ministers and PMs have resigned in the past for far less grievous states of affairs.

my point about representative democracy is nothing that wasn't well-covered and accepted as common wisdom by the founding fathers, a few centuries ago. i don't think populism or appealing directly to 'the people' as political currency leads anywhere good, and is generally dangerous. people acting as a mass are irrational and quick to turn against their so-called tribunes.

also where have i ever identified myself as an 'anarcho-syndicalist'? i'm pretty sure i've only ever mentioned those terms in those discussions, repeated ad nauseam, where you consistently mis-used all sorts of 'leftist' terms, tossing out a blather of bad terminology. i had my noam chomsky phase when i was 17 and quickly put it to bed, as seems entirely normal, tbh. quite sure every political view i've espoused on d&st in my time here is broadly generic social-democratic. just because i know how to use terms correctly, doesn't mean i spend my free time going around as an antifa, jay. read a few more books mate.

Last edited by uziq (2019-09-26 02:26:37)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

there are lots of ultra-remainer, pro-EU types that are equally as infuriating and insufferable as me.
Fixed

Jay wrote:

So you are only pro democracy when the rest of your countrymen agree with you? The rest of the time they are uneducated morons who need to be shielded by their betters? Not very anarcho-syndicalist of you.
I've always believed the morons shouldn't have any hand in government, most people should be allowed to vote or reproduce.
The tricky part is finding a benign elite to rule.
uziq
+492|3449
i don't know why you keep making out i am some ultra-remainer or corbynite type. i have never voted for corbyn and have been willing to move forward with brexit, so long as saner heads prevail than those who are currently leading things off a cliff at present.
uziq
+492|3449
let me know when the 'far left' and 'anarcho-syndicalists' on the remain side are acting like this, jay.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enemies_of_the_People_(headline)

https://www.dharrison.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Enemies-of-The-People.jpg

https://twitter.com/RupaHuq/status/1177121180815437825

https://twitter.com/bendepear/status/11 … 03329?s=20

Last edited by uziq (2019-09-26 02:36:34)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

where did you get that from? there are lots of ultra-remainer, pro-EU types that are equally as infuriating and insufferable to me.

the issue is that a prime minister trying to galvanise and unite the far-right tendencies in politics (i.e. the UKIP vote) is flouting democratic protocol to do it. in case you haven't been following, in the short weeks he has been in the role, he has: lost all 6 votes in parliament, excluded 21 senior MPs from his own party, destroying his own majority and precipitating a state where there is no government able to execute parliamentary politics, illegally shut down parliament and presented a case to the queen that was 'null and void'. any one of those would be enough to finish a PM. but the logic here is that he isn't playing the 'game' of parliament with its normal operating 'rules'. he is appealing directly to 'the people', so says, to do and act exactly as he wishes, without contrition of any kind. he is prepared to frustrate parliament, mislead the queen, and incite the people.

rather than be humble in the face of a unanimous defeat in the supreme court, he stands in parliament saying he believes they were wrong. there wasn't a single dissenting opinion in the supreme court, in which the full 11 judges were called; it's pretty rare for there to be a unanimous decision with anything over 6 judges, really.  but no, he thinks the top legal authorities in the land were wrong. he continually repeats that the defeat he suffered in parliament, passing a new act, is a 'surrender bill'. an MP was murdered in the streets over this brexit issue by a far-right activist shouting out 'traitor!' this is a shocking and shameless state of affairs -- and it's not the remainers acting this way.

i am remarking on what has led to the quite unbelievable scenes in parliament yesterday, for example, where a prime minister found to be acting illegally held the courts, parliament and entire process in contempt. if it was a remainer faction being enabled to act in the same way, i would say the same thing; if the remainers were doing the same, i would absolutely have the same complaint.

in any other time before this, a prime minister in such a situation would have had to resign. cabinet ministers and PMs have resigned in the past for far less grievous states of affairs.

my point about representative democracy is nothing that wasn't well-covered and accepted as common wisdom by the founding fathers, a few centuries ago. i don't think populism or appealing directly to 'the people' as political currency leads anywhere good, and is generally dangerous. people acting as a mass are irrational and quick to turn against their so-called tribunes.

also where have i ever identified myself as an 'anarcho-syndicalist'? i'm pretty sure i've only ever mentioned those terms in those discussions, repeated ad nauseam, where you consistently mis-used all sorts of 'leftist' terms, tossing out a blather of bad terminology. i had my noam chomsky phase when i was 17 and quickly put it to bed, as seems entirely normal, tbh. quite sure every political view i've espoused on d&st in my time here is broadly generic social-democratic. just because i know how to use terms correctly, doesn't mean i spend my free time going around as an antifa, jay. read a few more books mate.
You've been quite pro-democracy here on the board over the years, but like most pro-democracy people, you've now shown that you are only in favor of it when your voice is in the majority. You basically called your countrymen rubes who get their news from 5 second facebook videos. How do you know this? Wasn't the remain side the one that pushed Project Fear?

Besides, the most serious act out of this whole business was your 10 year old Supreme Court deciding to nullify proregotion (sic) based on no precedent. Congratulations, you've just enabled judicial review and nullification by unelected judges. The House of Lords hath returneth.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

there are lots of ultra-remainer, pro-EU types that are equally as infuriating and insufferable as me.
Fixed

Jay wrote:

I've always believed the morons shouldn't have any hand in government, most people should be allowed to vote or reproduce.
The tricky part is finding a benign elite to rule.
At least you're honest about it. The left likes to natter on about democracy until they disagree with the outcome, then everyone is an idiot and the vote was fixed.
-Frederick Bastiat
Larssen
+99|1884
Doesn't help that the opposition strategy seems to be to put up a sour face and tell Boris to 'please as a human being' moderate his language. They're letting him appear much stronger than he is. Man has lost every engagement so far, the best way to go about it would be to do so through humour and ridicule honestly. I want to hear more 'not a good start Boris'-es.

Last edited by Larssen (2019-09-26 02:45:11)

uziq
+492|3449
i am pro representative democracy and do not believe in placing 40-year decisions on the electorate in referenda, no. the issues are too massive and complicated. we entrust politicians to govern and i'm not at all of the view that 'experts' should be bypassed so people can exercise their ambitions (or frustrations) as they wish.

when i refer to facebook ads, i am referring to the whole complex of funders, agencies and groups that are under legal investigation for breaking electoral laws -- arron banks, cambridge analytica, etc.  'project fear' was a term used by boris johnson to dismiss the other side's concerns. those forecasting a negative outcome to brexit include the bank of england and many non-political organisations. but sure, they are both as bad as one another i guess?

the 'house of lords hath returneth'? where did it ever go? what the fuck are you talking about, you simpleton? by the by, the house of lords has fulfilled its role rather handsomely over the last few years, rejecting any bills that were passed through by executive fiat; they have held power to account as they should. the supreme court is there to decide on matters of law without precedent. that's exactly what it is designed for! do you even know how legal precedents are made in the UK system? lol. the supreme court ruling was very careful to define what is and what isn't within the realms of legal authority, and which is otherwise political business for the government to pursue. it didn't over-reach at all.

Last edited by uziq (2019-09-26 02:58:15)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard