Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX
Nah, Britain has been going to shit for a long time.

Blair suckering the country into the Iraq war and flooding the country with immigrants made it all blatantly obvious.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3451
a highly original analysis.

Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Blair suckered the country into supporting the Iraq war

Farage suckered the country into supporting Brexit

The Tories suckered the country into supporting them and their self-enrichment projects.

Britain is collectively stupid, there is no hope.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
One of you mentioned the GFC today. Funny seeing it in the wild from this post
https://twitter.com/_cingraham/status/1 … 4348805120
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3451
less secure work, less disposable income; worse working conditions, zero-hours contracts; more stress; zero prospect of ever owning a home or finding a space suitable to start a family; people staying at home more and more typically into their mid-30s, without any personal space or independence of their own (not a problem in collectivist east asian societies where adults stay in a swaddled extended adolescence right up until marriage, but a big problem in the individualist West where living at home has come to be equated with being a 'loser').

yep, working conditions and quality-of-life have gotten worse in every which way since the rout of the GFC crisis and the pivot to the market liberal's last great idea: let's bail out the rich people and give corporations and billionaires everything they want to placate them.

i'd say something as complex as dating and sexual habits can't solely be pinned on economic factors, however. i'd say sexual and social habits are less directly tied to economic activity than, say, political choices and voting habits. you can pretty predictably measure the political weather based on economic performance.

the new era of big data, algorithms, zero privacy, etc., definitely has affected dating habits. this is where incels and strange dudes who read jordan peterson start blaming dating apps and the pareto principle for everything. '20% of chads are getting all of the stacys!' can't say i have a lot of sympathy with this interpretation, though it would seem to explain a lot. lower-than-supermodel-tier people have been meeting and hooking up for all of human history. and there are plenty of psychological and cognitive studies that attest to the fact that people of middle or below-average looks tend to self-filter and feel naturally attracted to people more at their pegging.

if men could only learn to make their own bed, fix a healthy meal, and move out of their parents' house, i'm sure it would all be better.
uziq
+492|3451
extremely strange scenes in parliament these past few days. we've had a soft coup, truss is now PM in name only.

she ducked the urgent question tabled by kier/the opposition due to 'an urgent matter elsewhere'. bizarrely, left one of her main rivals in the leadership contest, penny mordaunt, to take the driver's wheel (and display a comparatively superlative performance and sense of command and leadership in the process). i bet mordaunt loved every second of apologising profusely for truss's mistake. the govt is basically now a mordaunt/hunt double-team whilst truss dresses up like thatcher and posts weird 'lo-fi and chill' montages to tiktok.

truss then showed up in the commons chamber about 35 minutes later, and proceeded to sit on the front row, blinking constantly, whilst the show went on around her. as if the economy wasn't in meltdown because of her recent actions. just passive. a weird, mute look on her face. she looks very heavily medicated, in my opinion. i wouldn't be surprised if she's had a panic/anxiety attack over the last few days and has been benzo'd to oblivion by her doctor. she doesn't look present in any way at all.

she turned up, sat there for 15 minutes, and then swiftly left. she didn't even say a word! it is honestly one of the strangest things i have ever seen in the leadership of this country. sat in the eye of the storm that she created, blinking like a person in shock.

every interview she does just makes it worse. the conservative party are either going to continue with this 'soft coup' arrangement or soon re-write their own internal rules to get rid of her before the 12 month cooldown period after the last leadership election. in the last interview she repeated the same 2-3 talking points, seemingly not realising that in the previous 24-48hrs her new chancellor, jeremy hunt, had just u-turned on and abandoned every single one of them. her entire agenda has been abandoned. all she can do is repeat slogans she learned from her paymasters at the IEA. doctrinaire bullshit divorced entirely from reality.

she even had the gall to laugh in her last press interview. you almost wouldn't realise this was the woman who just single-handedly added +£400 to people's mortgages by sending interest rates and BoE monetary policy into panic mode. what a totally fucking bizarre state of the nation.

and always with the constant blinking.

Last edited by uziq (2022-10-19 01:32:30)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Isn't Johnson preferred PM now?

The chancellor has always been more powerful than the PM, its just most have been relaxed about it.
uziq
+492|3451
johnson is way too toxic with vast amounts of the electorate. the idea of him returning is a fittingly 'roman republic' intrigue, but i highly doubt it will happen.

no, the chancellor has not always been more powerful than the PM.

what is interesting in these developments, however, is the notion that the markets, and bond traders specifically, are more powerful than an elected government. this is a problem going back even to clinton's more ambitious policies in the 1990s. if a small cadre of bond traders and speculators don't like what you're doing, it can spook the whole system.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The problem is the govt doesn't have the balls to ride out the odd blip in the financial system.
When bond volumes are low, which they usually are, prices can be volatile, it doesn't mean anything.

If someone in govt had a basic understanding of economics it would all be a lot easier.
uziq
+492|3451
the entire pension system is dependent on investment in 'low-risk' bonds so it's generally not a good idea to be blithe about the government adding to them in a spending spree and devaluing the whole gilt system.

in the event the inevitable rescue package cost us £65bn in the space of a few days, twice the covid-19 £30bn stimulus package. amazing. and what was the initial uncosted spending spree for? guaranteeing private energy companies' record profits and tax cuts for the super-rich. genius!

as 'prudent guardians and sensible heads on the economy', the conservatives are trashed. only a decade in the wilderness can follow this level of mismanagement.

Last edited by uziq (2022-10-19 02:08:02)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
There's not a whole lot of point in presenting a plan which is supposed to deliver over 10-20 years and panicking when it doesn't deliver in two days.

The tories are shit and need to go, but I'm seeing no promise in Labour.
uziq
+492|3451
what, supposed to deliver in 10–20 years? we were told that free-market fundamentalism and neoliberal trickle-down would 'deliver in 10–20 years' ... in 1980. where's the delivery? was i out? they didn't leave a card.

i think it's telling that the people 'panicking' and supposedly losing their cool were ... the City traders and 1%ers being given the chef's selection of tax cuts. even they know that shit doesn't work. the only area in which it 'delivers' to is financial management and offshoring companies.

Last edited by uziq (2022-10-19 02:29:04)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Well the theory is tax cuts attract companies and professionals who grow the economy.
This doesn't happen in a weekend.

But as we know it just means the same idiots make more money and the country gets less.

Apart from that Britain has massive generational structural problems which really do need to be addressed with a real plan, the country really won't turn around in a few days.
uziq
+492|3451
it hasn't happened in over half a decade. the UK has had consistently some of the lowest corporate tax for the last lustrum.

https://cdn.statcdn.com/Infographic/images/normal/5594.jpeg

and you want to know something? france and germany have better levels of investment.

do i have to mention the giant B-word? the same government that just cut us off from our biggest trading partner are now prescribing trickle-down economics to ... attract companies and professionals? from where? certainly not from europe, where most professionals and companies did have relationships with the UK.

and you just said yourself that we should be wary of making deals with huge population groups and markets like india, lest their professionals come here.

so where are we to attract 'businesses and professionals' from? you are simultaneously banging the ethnonationalist nativist populist drum, whilst also adverting to the 'payoffs' of free-market fundamentals. well the free-market believes in the free movement of labour, dilbert. not arbitrarily scuppering deals with giant economies like india's because they're 'not the right colour'.

let's face it, the best idea that any of your gammon-faced brexiting lot have had for 'the UK unchained', as far as a future growth plan goes, is just reheated thatcher: nothing to do with labour, or viable industries, or sorting out 'generational structural issues', such as the levelling up agenda purported to do: the only idea you lot have is turning the UK into singapore-on-thames, a money laundering and financial services haven anchored off the european peninsula. what amazing growth! we just have to keep cutting taxes for the super-rich and corporations and soon pennies shall rain from heaven in Hull!

you're not very good at this politics thing, for an engineering philosopher-king.

Last edited by uziq (2022-10-19 08:02:37)

uziq
+492|3451
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
This Liz Truss lady is certainly not having a good start at this.
Larssen
+99|1886
The events unfolding in the UK is the most bizarre and popcorn-worthy political drama in generations. From 2016 to now. What's happening under Truss seems to be the culmination of it all.

Who knew that if a party consistently votes in preference of sycophants, narcissists and the power hungry, the whole thing would go to shit? All these bastards can't help but climb over one another to get one step closer to PM and have thrown all sense of principles and reason overboard in the process. Over the last 8 years or so those who had sense in them bailed the ship one by one.

I'm still dumbfounded at the fact that Kwasi Kwarteng apparently succesfully pursued a PhD in economic history of all topics and then ends up cowriting and publishing a retarded book advocating trickle down economics and even tries to implement it in his first days as chancellor. Just what is going on in the minds of these people? He's perfectly capable of 'reading a fucking book' yet the contents don't seem to pass beyond his eyeballs at all.

Last edited by Larssen (2022-10-19 14:47:09)

uziq
+492|3451
uziq
+492|3451

Larssen wrote:

The events unfolding in the UK is the most bizarre and popcorn-worthy political drama in generations. From 2016 to now. What's happening under Truss seems to be the culmination of it all.

Who knew that if a party consistently votes in preference of sycophants, narcissists and the power hungry, the whole thing would go to shit? All these bastards can't help but climb over one another to get one step closer to PM and have thrown all sense of principles and reason overboard in the process. Over the last 8 years or so those who had sense in them bailed the ship one by one.

I'm still dumbfounded at the fact that Kwasi Kwarteng apparently succesfully pursued a PhD in economic history of all topics and then ends up cowriting and publishing a retarded book advocating trickle down economics and even tries to implement it in his first days as chancellor. Just what is going on in the minds of these people? He's perfectly capable of 'reading a fucking book' yet the contents don't seem to pass beyond his eyeballs at all.
this is a party with a large majority of 80, by the way. they can’t even get their own business done, and votes in the chamber are descending into chaos.

that’s the real fruit of brexit for you. a party split between three varieties of swivel-eyed moron, spiked somewhere between wanting to keep their £80k/yr jobs and wanting to pursue some special flavour of delusion.

we’ve had 2/3 PMs, 4 chancellors, 3 home secretaries, and 2 monarchs … in 4 months.

and the actual existence of the UK is at stake. polling for scottish independence is predictably the highest it’s ever been. in the weeks of chaos since truss took over, she hasn’t reached out once to make a phonecall to the first ministers of scotland and wales.

we still haven’t dealt with the tasty morsel yet that truss appointed steve baker, the leader of the ERG and the closest thing we have to a trump-style christian fascist (along with rees-mogg) … as the chief in charge of the NI protocol. the guy who has stymied every effort at making a deal in the last few years. a man of singular arrogance and ineptitude.

the conservative party have destroyed themselves in the last 6 years over brexit. categorically. i am more and more sympathetic to reforming the voting and party system and bringing in multi-party coalitions based on proportional rep.

i’m also in favour of the king or someone stepping in and forcing a general election, as the governor did in australia before. this has descended from tragedy to farce. the fact that we had a total mong like suella braverman as home secretary (shortest tenure of all time: 46 days) just says it all. and who is replacing her? grant shapps. a man infamous in westminster for previously using multiple identities online to sell get-rich-quick marketing ponzi schemes. this is the guy occupying the highest public role in the realm in charge of law and order!

Last edited by uziq (2022-10-19 17:00:28)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
Liz Truss would truly be special if she causes the new king of the U.K. to start a constitutional crisis. Seeing that happen in real time is what keeps many historians going.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715

uziq wrote:

the entire pension system is dependent on investment in 'low-risk' bonds so it's generally not a good idea to be blithe about the government adding to them in a spending spree and devaluing the whole gilt system.

in the event the inevitable rescue package cost us £65bn in the space of a few days, twice the covid-19 £30bn stimulus package. amazing. and what was the initial uncosted spending spree for? guaranteeing private energy companies' record profits and tax cuts for the super-rich. genius!

as 'prudent guardians and sensible heads on the economy', the conservatives are trashed. only a decade in the wilderness can follow this level of mismanagement.
mfw the hedges arent really hedges.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Larssen wrote:

This is exactly what I've been saying since about forever.

How is it possible for someone to be qualified in a supposedly rigourous subject by a supposedly eminent institution only to produce the sort of work which would get slapped down in a competent high-school?

There's certainly something weird going on in the heads of people who come through Oxford and finish up in government.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

it hasn't happened in over half a decade. the UK has had consistently some of the lowest corporate tax for the last lustrum.

https://cdn.statcdn.com/Infographic/images/normal/5594.jpeg

and you want to know something? france and germany have better levels of investment.
No idea what your point is, except that corporation tax doesn't really correlate with anything?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
NYT sent an alert saying Liz Truss is going to resign
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
This part of it all is actually anti-democratic, she was the second choice by MPs, first choice by the party membership, clearly she has a mandate - and her platform was of tax cuts and thats what she tried to deliver.

Now a cabal of MPs can just remove her because the markets had a bit of a blip, bizarre.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard