uziq
+492|3444
yes, of course, the person who had free university because of taxpayer grants is happy to see university made unaffordable by a rich, privately educated toff government.

i mean it's so facile. we all know that, politically, in terms of class warfare, this should cut against all of your principles. to say nothing of your own life experience and self-interest. but, no, because it's social sciences in the firing line, you're happy to see working-class people priced out of university.

pathetic.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX
I'm happy to see stupid course made unaffordable.

Lets face it all the toffs who studied arcane subjects were going into govt and plum jobs in the city if they'd studied astrology.

STEM subjects are at least a benefit to humanity.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3444
just think materially and financially only, in your piggish way. every student in the UK pays the same exorbitant yearly fee of £9,000.

all those humanities undergrads are practically subsidising the resources and facilities-intensive STEM subjects with their loan money.

yes, nothing outside of STEM has ever been a benefit to humanity. there is nothing in life that is worthwhile outside of engineering.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

This is such a flaccid troll. You enjoy contributions to humanity from the arts on the regular, dilbert.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Moved to tears by some of the most commercial of contributions to film, such as comic book Power Woman floating in space undoubtedly to an accompanying score honed for that effect.
uziq
+492|3444

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

This is such a flaccid troll. You enjoy contributions to humanity from the arts on the regular, dilbert.
yeah, don't tell dilbert about things like ... tv or movie writers. he thinks humanities is about dickens only. he iz the smartest boi!

https://twitter.com/mrJamesGraham/statu … 0040344576
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Who could forget about the sultry 1992 classic, 'Brand X Semiconductor Catalog' with the MOSFET pin-up. Phew! Who needs novelists when you can have IC schematics … oh wait all that still needs technical writers and proofreading.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

yeah, don't tell dilbert about things like ... tv or movie writers. he thinks humanities is about dickens only. he iz the smartest boi!

https://twitter.com/mrJamesGraham/statu … 0040344576
LMAO

https://i.imgur.com/Xhduudb.jpg
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3444
erm, yes, where did i say or imply anywhere that a university course is the only way to become a writer?

it's just overwhelmingly the case that, for creatives, a period of apprenticeship or historical study is necessary. could be a personal tutelage, could be a practice-based art college, could be an historical/theoretical university course. "time, space, materials and confidence" ...?

do you really think you're telling me anything new?

it's amazing that you came up in an era when young people literally had free university and the dole queue, years of being unpaid and debt-free and figuring out what they wanted to do. so much UK music/art/film in the 1980s and '90s came from that setup. but you're happy that university degrees are being constrained into a narrow definition of 'success'?

a middle-aged philistine. it's not big and it's not clever. and in other threads you're asking how to find a woman who actually wants to spend time around you. LMAO. learn to connect the dots my guy. get therapy and sort your toxic, hateful inward toenail of a personality. an artistic hobby might even make you more interesting to the opposite sex.

Last edited by uziq (2022-06-28 05:22:14)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Nuclear UK sits on the power to turn cities into smoldering ruins of glass and twisted metal. A stockpile of Bombs into three digits.

Helping people go to college to be in a better position to write books? Hang on a minute.
uziq
+492|3444
the actual policy is a total nonsense, and all educators can see it. it's narrowly disguised social engineering. the requirement that all university courses should have '60% of leavers in a high-value job within 6 months' is craziness. that would shutter law degrees and most of the social sciences with very carefully delineated career paths (e.g. clinical psychology), for a start.
Larssen
+99|1879
Define high value job.

It could especially decimate international relations/poli sci and related fields. Only a handful of graduates in those fields end up working in directly related jobs.
uziq
+492|3444
other studies have shown that humanities graduates tend to reach earnings parity with STEM jobs in mid-career. a slower start, admittedly, with the lack of high-paying financial and/or number-crunching jobs (and in fact many 'elite' humanities jobs rely on years of unpaid internships and depressed lower-rung wages). but the notion that any degree that doesn't generate a 'high-value job' within 6 months of graduation = 'dead-end' is just wrongheaded on about 3 different levels.

https://twitter.com/mrjohnofarrell/stat … 5O8SMJkI-w

anyway, the discussion is tangential. just funny that the people whom dilbert characterises as 'government by humanities idiots' are steadfastly dismantling humanities education. great analysis!

Last edited by uziq (2022-06-28 13:10:41)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

Larssen wrote:

Define high value job.

It could especially decimate international relations/poli sci and related fields. Only a handful of graduates in those fields end up working in directly related jobs.
I worked for a multinational company. Directly related, right?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712
I can't believe Ken sold out his other political science comrades and works for a multinational company. He became the man just so he could take a Korean girl on vacation a few times a month.

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2022-06-28 14:03:12)

https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3444
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712
Can we go to war with Russia? Look at that alliance. Unbeatable in a ground war.
https://www.aljazeera.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/INTERACTIVE-NATO-in-Europe_1.png?w=770&resize=770%2C770
uziq
+492|3444
'we'? what are you going to do, watch kill compilations on reddit?

go ahead.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712
I will convince glue eaters to drop out of high school and enlist for the bonus before the draft gets them.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Theoretically, formalizing a state of war between NATO countries and Russia could be a boon to Putin. At least in the brief period of time between then and nuclear holocaust.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I will convince glue eaters to drop out of high school and enlist for the bonus before the draft gets them.
1960s: macnamara's morons
2020s: mac's morons
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712
I will show them the parts of Full Metal Jacket where it is just a bunch of dudes having fun and being bros.
uziq
+492|3444
the UK (or more precisely boris in full puffed-up, LARPer churchill mode) are actually the most sanguine in western europe about a confrontation with russia, i think. france/germany would rather the ukrainians came to the negotiating table and ceded territory, even if they don't say it in such bald terms. countries like italy have no appetite for war at all afaik.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712

uziq wrote:

the UK (or more precisely boris in full puffed-up, LARPer churchill mode) are actually the most sanguine in western europe about a confrontation with russia, i think. france/germany would rather the ukrainians came to the negotiating table and ceded territory, even if they don't say it in such bald terms. countries like italy have no appetite for war at all afaik.
In all seriousness for a moment...I think Russia could win or at least not lose a confrontation with the west. That giant alliance is full of fragile democracies. How many Spaniards want to die for Ukraine?
uziq
+492|3444
to be fair countries like spain and italy have never exactly been lynchpins of the NATO alliance. the countries that will count and which have kept large standing armies, including conscription, are russia's baltic neighbours and USA, UK, france and germany (probably in that order). turkey are a less-acknowledged NATO partner in these discussions but their location is obviously crucial, and they're doing quite a job of supplying their fancy drones to the ukrainians. much more important in these discussions than the spanish or dutch, anyway.

i would not doubt the resolve of countries like poland, finland, estonia, etc, to fight back against russia. nothing 'fragile' about their attitude towards russia. the bitter memories are too strong. they would at least all become massive quagmires of insurrection and armed civilians, as in ukraine.

presuming nukes were kept out of the equation, NATO would win comfortably on materiel alone. russia is spending its expensive cruise missiles on bombing shopping centres and killing 15 civilians at a time. not smart considering they can't access advanced tech supply lines anymore.

with that said, zelensky clearly wants to try and bring the conflict to some sort of conclusion this side of christmas. the conflict is already dropping out of news headlines and public consciousness; and hawkish LARPers like BoJo's days might be numbered. the next UK premiere will undoubtedly be cooler and more levelheaded on the drums of war rhetoric. it's foreseeable that fatigue will set in and people's appetite for ukraine will fall as the conflict drags on.

which will give out first: russia's sanctioned economy/supply lines or the rest of the world's care cup?

Last edited by uziq (2022-06-29 16:28:09)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard