coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6706|England. Stoke

Jay wrote:

Yeah, you have to be crazy or on the absolute fringe of society to question the need for many government programs.
Not my point but oh well...
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5176|Sydney

Jay wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

Jay, I guarantee you'd be saying the opposite if we didn't have the USDA or FDA. It's nonsense to claim we don't need them when you reap all the benefits they provide and then say "Look, no diseases! We don't need 'em!" People will send food back if someone loses a hair through the hairnet, and you think sourcing untraceable, unknown-quality meat is kosher? (PUN!!!) Just because you can cook disease-ridden meat to look like the clean kind doesn't mean it's not disgusting and unsafe.

Not to mention the other important letter in FDA. Go to a GMP facility and ask what an FDA audit is like. It's their job to be sticklers over issues like safety, traceability, and quality of drugs. When you're dealing with life-or-death medicines or things you inject into your goddamn bloodstream, it's incredibly important to be well-regulated (and not in the 2nd Amendment sense of a "well-regulated militia" , I mean actually regulated).
Have you ever bought food from a roadside stand? What about from a farmer's market? Did you get sick? I've bought food from them many times, all of which is uninspected and unregulated. Guess what? Never got sick. I washed the veggies I bought just like I wash the veggies I buy from the supermarket. I cooked the meat, and I put the cheese in the refrigerator. I trusted the farmer or seller to not shit on my food and give me e.coli poisoning.

The USDA and FDA largely do nothing. Only a tiny fraction of all food is ever tested before it reaches the market. Their primary role is not preventative, but reactive after people have already gotten sick. They'll do an investigation and try to find and fine the source. It really requires a full time agency to do police work

What has made people less likely to get sick over the past century has got nothing to do with the government and everything to do with SURPRISE! Refrigeration, and a ton of research conducted by the industry in getting food to distant markets without losing a ton of money to food spoilage. It ain't the FDA and USDA keeping you safe, it's in the best interest of the food industry to provide you with healthy food.
"Their primary role is not preventative, but reactive after people have already gotten sick."

Just like the justice system
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5176|Sydney

Jay wrote:

Jaekus, I'm glad you haven't contributed anything more to the conversation than karma insults. I know your tiny little brain is completely dependent on your government to protect you from yourself. Stick to slappin da bass.
I haven't karma'd anyone in ages. The very first time I clicked on this thread was five minutes ago, with the resulting post above.

But keep trying, you'll get there one day.

edit: I noticed I did karma someone last night. In another thread. About someone else.

Seriously, don't be so uptight all the time.

Last edited by Jaekus (2013-10-28 07:35:43)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5355|London, England
Yawn.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Stubbee
Religions Hate Facts, Questions and Doubts
+223|6740|Reality
https://s3.amazonaws.com/dk-production/images/54983/large/freedomfowl720.png
The US economy is a giant Ponzi scheme. And 'to big to fail' is code speak for 'niahnahniahniahnah 99 percenters'
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5355|London, England

Stubbee wrote:

Most chicken has salmonella, as do their eggs. A hundred years ago they didn't. Clearly that federal regulation has done wonders to stop this.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6706|England. Stoke
Salmonella was only discovered in 1885.
By the United States Department of Agriculture...
Stubbee
Religions Hate Facts, Questions and Doubts
+223|6740|Reality

Jay wrote:

Stubbee wrote:

Most chicken has salmonella, as do their eggs. A hundred years ago they didn't. Clearly that federal regulation has done wonders to stop this.
And what proof do you have that salmonella was not present 100 years ago? It magically appeared I guess. Maybe it was developed by progressives so they could convince the government that bigger government was needed.

Salmonella: discovered by Dr Smith named for Dr Salmon director of USDA research.
The US economy is a giant Ponzi scheme. And 'to big to fail' is code speak for 'niahnahniahniahnah 99 percenters'
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6734|Oxferd Ohire
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard