uziq
+492|3450

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

Jay wrote:

There's plenty of affordable housing. It's just not where the writers want to live. Every time I read a story about a lack of affordable housing what I'm really reading is "boo hoo I've been priced out of trendy neighborhood X unless I want to live in a basement".

People get by here. If they couldn't we'd have a ton more homeless people. Take the words of privileged white people who have never known real hardship with a heavy grain of salt.
great argumentation, jay. we're talking about fast-food workers asking for a livable wage and to debunk my argument for affordable housing (in the context of fast-food workers and a minimum wage), you start banging on about "writers" and "trendy neighbourhoods". i was thinking more along the lines of cabrini green than williamsburg. i bow down to your titanic intellect on this matter. service workers organising and pushing for better working conditions/pay is clearly a ruse so all those liberal arts grads from swarthmore and pomona and wesleyan can get into a perfecty bouji basement flat and continue work apace on their avant-garde post-conceptualist poetry.

u fuckin dumb ass
And I'm saying people are getting by. It's not a life I'd want to live by any means, which is why I'm not. I worked in fast food during high school. Some of the ladies I worked with had a tough life, working multiple jobs and praying to be made a manager. It was still a better life than the one they left behind in Guatemala. But look at in perspective, we're talking about illegal immigrants and high school kids pouring bagged meat into a boiler and using caulking guns to portion condiments. This is not physically or intellectually demanding stuff. The hardest part is motivating yourself to actually show up for the meager wage.

After this increase, a married pair of burger flippers and caulking gun portioners will make more money annually than the median family does in America today. That's why it's absurd. (Median income = $52k, or about $26/hour, combined)
firstly, i don't care if the work isn't intellectually demanding or high-skill. you accuse me of being a snob regularly on here but i wouldn't want to rub someone's little snout in the soot because their job doesn't involve graduate school certificates. i don't care how easy or menial a job is: the person doing it, if they're working 37.5-42.5-50+ hours a week – they deserve to get paid a good enough wage to 'get by' in life. i'm not talking single-moms with iPhone 6's and benefits, the tabloid-level target for excoriation here. just for humble, hardworking people to prosper and not struggle. own their own place, contribute to a pension/retirement fund, put money aside for their kids' college maybe, even. i'm not saying let's create a communist society where everyone can drive a BMW subsidised by the government. i just don't think it's right that, in an advanced western society, with all of our technological ease and automation, that someone should have to work 2-3 jobs concurrently just to keep their kid in school meals. that seems wrong. we can afford to pay them more (the mega-corporations employing these menial workers certainly can). i know the macroeconomic theory on the matter: i know that you can't implement a minimum wage without there being a result on inflation, a knock-on effect for interest rates, credit availability, etc. i get that. you can't just give everyone more money and not expect the prices of commodities to rise, or else the currency to be seriously devalued. but you're talking about serious economic crisis scenarios, here, when what we're arguing for is reform and gradualism. i'm not saying let's flatten society. i'm saying let's narrow the gap between ultra-rich and the wage-slaves. that won't do harm to anyone.

secondly, the argument about price competition never convinces me. so now the fast-food industry pays a good wage; so now that seemingly 'devalues' other careers. so what? maybe those other careers should organise, unionise, and fight for better pay. i see this argument all the time here in the UK. people are frequently pissed off that our train drivers go on strike – they're one of the last few remaining unions with any political clout here – and trot out these asinine charts: 'look! a train driver makes as much as a nurse! this dumbass only pushes a lever! she saves lives!'. so? there's nothing stopping other industries from organising and striking for better pay. (the irony in this case is that people using NHS workers as a rhetorical ploy are in fact remonstrating to pay higher taxes; an NHS pay increase wouldn't come from anywhere else. but that's neither here nor there).

Last edited by uziq (2015-07-23 14:44:39)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Nutritionist say that American food isn't worse nor do Americans exercise less than Europeans. The problem with us is that we eat much higher portions. Our food is a lot cheaper and people are used to getting a lot of food every meal. Making food more expensive may improve American health care.

Of course no one especially a politician will say that because people are so entitled.
That and your 'food', lets call it 'industrial consumer consumption produce' is crammed full of sugar.

Its incredible that the sugar industry has managed to convince people that fat - a normal part of the diet for millennia - is bad, but that sugar - historically consumed in the most minute quantities, a few berries a day - is good.

I guess this is a great example of how the free market solves all problems and makes the world a better place.
Maybe it will, America will collapse on itself and we'll all be better off.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2015-07-23 14:43:07)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jay wrote:

And I'm saying people are getting by. It's not a life I'd want to live by any means, which is why I'm not. I worked in fast food during high school. Some of the ladies I worked with had a tough life, working multiple jobs and praying to be made a manager. It was still a better life than the one they left behind in Guatemala. But look at in perspective, we're talking about illegal immigrants and high school kids pouring bagged meat into a boiler and using caulking guns to portion condiments. This is not physically or intellectually demanding stuff. The hardest part is motivating yourself to actually show up for the meager wage.
In my view your job is quite low level, following a simple process and installing equipment designed by real engineers. I've done it I know its trivial.

Why should people pay a small fortune to have air-conditioning installed. Lets import 200,000 Chinese HVAC guys and push costs down, everyone will have more money to spend because they'll spend less on air-conditioning installation - its win-win for the economy.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

After this increase, a married pair of burger flippers and caulking gun portioners will make more money annually than the median family does in America today. That's why it's absurd. (Median income = $52k, or about $26/hour, combined)
So people will buy less fast food - oh no, its the end of civilisation as we know it.
Every other job that was paying less than $15/hour will have to raise their own wages to compete for labor. Cuomo pushed for a universal $15 minimum and was rebuffed by the state senate. This is either going to drive up inflation across the board and hurt everyone but the wealthy, or cause a lot of people to lose their jobs to automation.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

great argumentation, jay. we're talking about fast-food workers asking for a livable wage and to debunk my argument for affordable housing (in the context of fast-food workers and a minimum wage), you start banging on about "writers" and "trendy neighbourhoods". i was thinking more along the lines of cabrini green than williamsburg. i bow down to your titanic intellect on this matter. service workers organising and pushing for better working conditions/pay is clearly a ruse so all those liberal arts grads from swarthmore and pomona and wesleyan can get into a perfecty bouji basement flat and continue work apace on their avant-garde post-conceptualist poetry.

u fuckin dumb ass

firstly, i don't care if the work isn't intellectually demanding or high-skill. you accuse me of being a snob regularly on here but i wouldn't want to rub someone's little snout in the soot because their job doesn't involve graduate school certificates. i don't care how easy or menial a job is: the person doing it, if they're working 37.5-42.5-50+ hours a week – they deserve to get paid a good enough wage to 'get by' in life. i'm not talking single-moms with iPhone 6's and benefits, the tabloid-level target for excoriation here. just for humble, hardworking people to prosper and not struggle. own their own place, contribute to a pension/retirement fund, put money aside for their kids' college maybe, even. i'm not saying let's create a communist society where everyone can drive a BMW subsidised by the government. i just don't think it's right that, in an advanced western society, with all of our technological ease and automation, that someone should have to work 2-3 jobs concurrently just to keep their kid in school meals. that seems wrong. we can afford to pay them more (the mega-corporations employing these menial workers certainly can). i know the macroeconomic theory on the matter: i know that you can't implement a minimum wage without there being a result on inflation, a knock-on effect for interest rates, credit availability, etc. i get that. you can't just give everyone more money and not expect the prices of commodities to rise, or else the currency to be seriously devalued. but you're talking about serious economic crisis scenarios, here, when what we're arguing for is reform and gradualism. i'm not saying let's flatten society. i'm saying let's narrow the gap between ultra-rich and the wage-slaves. that won't do harm to anyone.

secondly, the argument about price competition never convinces me. so now the fast-food industry pays a good wage; so now that seemingly 'devalues' other careers. so what? maybe those other careers should organise, unionise, and fight for better pay. i see this argument all the time here in the UK. people are frequently pissed off that our train drivers go on strike – they're one of the last few remaining unions with any political clout here – and trot out these asinine charts: 'look! a train driver makes as much as a nurse! this dumbass only pushes a lever! she saves lives!'. so? there's nothing stopping other industries from organising and striking for better pay. (the irony in this case is that people using NHS workers as a rhetorical ploy are in fact remonstrating to pay higher taxes; an NHS pay increase wouldn't come from anywhere else. but that's neither here nor there).
I'm not disagreeing with you on any of this. I totally agree that having to work two or three jobs is tragic, but we're also talking about people living in one of the highest cost of living areas of the world competing for real estate with stock brokers, doctors, lawyers, etc. Can you make an argument that maybe assholes shouldn't buy up an entire floor of a residential building in Midtown Manhattan and then only use it a few weeks a year? Sure, that's an easy argument to make, and an impossible one to enforce without draconian eat the wealthy measures that will kill tax revenues.

What I'd ultimately like to see are capital gains taxed at the same level as income and for corporate income taxes to go away. Then we might see some real wage increases instead of fictitious inflation-driven nonsense.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

In my view your job is quite low level, following a simple process and installing equipment designed by real engineers. I've done it I know its trivial.

Why should people pay a small fortune to have air-conditioning installed. Lets import 200,000 Chinese HVAC guys and push costs down, everyone will have more money to spend because they'll spend less on air-conditioning installation - its win-win for the economy.
I'm a designer, not a contractor.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3450

Jay wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

So people will buy less fast food - oh no, its the end of civilisation as we know it.
Every other job that was paying less than $15/hour will have to raise their own wages to compete for labor. Cuomo pushed for a universal $15 minimum and was rebuffed by the state senate. This is either going to drive up inflation across the board and hurt everyone but the wealthy, or cause a lot of people to lose their jobs to automation.
poor people are going to lose their jobs to automation as soon as they become mass-rollout viable, anyway. let's not pretend the market or your saintly friends in the corporations are altruistic about employing peons. they're already an inconvenience. let's give them rights and basic entitlements, because, let's face it, the tides of material circumstance and technological change are always in the favour of the powerful. simples.

also jay you're talking about NYC a lot, in particular manhattan or brooklyn or something. i'm talking about the principle of minimum wage, as a universal wage. universal minimum wage means applying to service industry workers or manual labourers or whatever, wherever they are. i'm not arguing for people's right to make terrible lifestyle decisions. this isn't some world's-smallest-violin case about publishing interns who can't afford to live in san francisco.

Last edited by uziq (2015-07-23 15:12:06)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

I have said before that Jay is going to be replaced by work visas engineers when he hits 40. Automation and globalization is going to screw everyone in a way free trade/ free markets won't help.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

I have said before that Jay is going to be replaced by work visas engineers when he hits 40. Automation and globalization is going to screw everyone in a way free trade/ free markets won't help.
Nah. New York has its own building code and citizenship requirements to be a Professional Engineer. I'm golden.
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jay wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

Even easier.

I think $7.50 an hour is a fair rate for an HVAC designer, looking up tables, twiddling around with a mouse, sitting at a desk.
The government should adjust the supply side by turning a blind eye to illegal immigration and working of foreign HVAC designers, until the hourly rate falls to $7.50 - you know, just like they do for the fast food industry.

Then people will be happy with their cheap AC installs, they'll be able to spend more on electricity and sitting around enjoying their cooling - its good for everyone.
Nah. New York has its own building code and citizenship requirements to be a Professional Engineer. I'm golden.
So you don't like a free market after all, so much for all your Ayn Rand bullshit, you're just another fat and entitled POG.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2015-07-23 15:17:29)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
CAD work can probably be easily outsourced, however. I don't know that I'd ever want to though, it's usually easier and more accurate if I draw it myself rather than just sketching and handing it off to our CAD guy.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Even easier.

I think $7.50 an hour is a fair rate for an HVAC designer, looking up tables, twiddling around with a mouse, sitting at a desk.
The government should adjust the supply side by turning a blind eye to illegal immigration and working of foreign HVAC designers, until the hourly rate falls to $7.50 - you know, just like they do for the fast food industry.

Then people will be happy with their cheap AC installs, they'll be able to spend more on electricity and sitting around enjoying their cooling - its good for everyone.
So you don't like a free market after all, so much for all your Ayn Rand bullshit, you're just another fat and entitled POG.
The last design project I managed was a $20,000,000 public job replacing the air and waterside systems at a public school heavily damaged by Hurricane Sandy. I designed the boiler systems, four air handling units and did all the controls work for a new Building Management System. Loads of architectural and structural work too that I had to manage as well since we were prime on the job.

Buy yeah, replace me with an off the boat person from China who understands our building code and can navigate through the bureaucracy

https://fbcdn-photos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/v/t1.0-0/10429329_10204336232628888_1850975632202778743_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=98bf76d609e85b01a30a495c07b29ac7&oe=564399F0&__gda__=1444467012_012941d6a6e9811a276c623d28c66830

Look at those specs! Yeesh!

Last edited by Jay (2015-07-23 15:26:40)

-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
By your reasoning anyone should be able to call themselves a doctor and perform surgery. I mean, as long as there are four star yelp reviews I'm down.
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718

Dilbert wrote:

Don't forget he lived in a rent control apartment.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Dilbert wrote:

Don't forget he lived in a rent control apartment.
Stabilized. Most nyc apartments are stabilized. I was hardly special in that regard. Try harder
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
So since we've devolved to jay bashing yet again, I'm just gonna assume we can all conclude that being poor sucks but giving fast food workers $15/hour is absurd.
-Frederick Bastiat
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6679|Disaster Free Zone
Only $15 is absurd.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714
cost of living in the USA =/= cost of living in aus drunkface.

still, the minimum wage still needs to rise so companies aren't essentially being subsidized through govt.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6707|England. Stoke
Bloody Libertarians and their public contracts and building codes.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

Cybargs wrote:

cost of living in the USA =/= cost of living in aus drunkface.

still, the minimum wage still needs to rise so companies aren't essentially being subsidized through govt.
Hey, Cybarg makes a point!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
We'll get a computer that will figure all that shit out one day anyway.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6679|Disaster Free Zone
I like how you are complaining about someone getting a livable wage when the CEOs of those same companies are getting paid in excess of $10,000 an hr and through tax loopholes probably pay just as little tax.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

DrunkFace wrote:

I like how you are complaining about someone getting a livable wage when the CEOs of those same companies are getting paid in excess of $10,000 an hr and through tax loopholes probably pay just as little tax.
And you think the ceo's will take pay cuts? No, they will raise prices. You know who eats the majority of fast food? Poor people. At no point are rich people being impacted. They just arbitrarily made some poor people less poor at the expense of other poor people.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
And it's not a liveable wage. Prices will rise and they will be right back where they started soon enough. You can't fix the lives of people in bottom dweller jobs by throwing money at them, but you can sure buy their votes.
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jay wrote:

Buy yeah, replace me with an off the boat person from China who understands our building code and can navigate through the bureaucracy Look at those specs! Yeesh!
My god, you must be the only engineer in the world who has to work to a specification.
You learned how to do it from a zero base, that means pretty well anyone could do it given a bit of training.
You know who eats the majority of fast food? Poor people. At no point are rich people being impacted. They just arbitrarily made some poor people less poor at the expense of other poor people.
You know who spends money in the local community? Poor people, if they earn more they'll spend more, it just gets recycled.

Australia has no difficulty functioning with a minimum wage of ~$15/hr, as do many other countries, all your Chicken-Little panicking is for nothing.
https://www.fwc.gov.au/documents/sites/ … _order.pdf

Oh yeah, its $15+25% for casual workers = $18.75/hr. Oh noes! Its unpossible! The sky will fall!!!!!

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2015-07-24 05:10:56)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard