Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6118|eXtreme to the maX
Can't have been a very active social life if you were glued to your PC 24/7 eh?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4266
i think i posted enough photos and anecdotes to suggest i wasn't tied to my pc 24/7. derp derp.

you sound angry. you are ranting. did i make you angry by pointing out it's harder and more distinguished to attain postgrad funding than it is to get any old corporate job and join the 9-5? you sound almost threatened. it's okay dilbert, don't worry. everyone knows you're one of life's dropouts, anyway. you don't need to start berating the poor poet laureate. man of small achievement that he is.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Ranting? Angry? You seem confused.

Yes, it is hard to get a job in a field for which there is no commercial funding - because its of no interest of value to anyone - the only money around is what the government makes available as a sop to history - OK, I accept that, lets move on.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5597

The NFO Freedom House's 2010 survey of world political freedom. Green = Free, Yellow = partly free, purple = not free.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3c/2010_Freedom_House_world_map.svg

Only a handful of yellow and one purple state. Score another victory for the west.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4266
the uk funding problems are very specific to the uk's current system and particular con-lib budget. it's not some "oh it's useless, let's relegate it". funding in america is extremely handsome, because they have a different institutional and funding set-up. but okay dilbert. whatever you need to make your empty life watching your dribbling disabled father eat tapioca pudding feel less depressing.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4266

Macbeth wrote:

The NFO Freedom House's 2010 survey of world political freedom. Green = Free, Yellow = partly free, purple = not free.

Only a handful of yellow and one purple state. Score another victory for the west.
so they just reproduced a cold war era print of the world, with a few bits of africa coloured in, to represent we're 'losing' the darkies to the evil yellows?

what a shit-heap think-tank. again 'freedom' being a dumb, empty, meaningless word. are you going to link a 'happiness' index next?
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6787|Moscow, Russia

Macbeth wrote:

political freedom.
wat
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5597

They measure political freedoms like openness of the press, enfranchisement rates etc. hardly meaningless
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6787|Moscow, Russia

Macbeth wrote:

openness of the press, enfranchisement rates etc.
wat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5597

my personal favorite map thing is the U.N.'s Human development index.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/32/2013_UN_Human_Development_Report_Quartiles.svg
feels good to be part of the developed world
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6728

Shahter wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

wat
it means you can say whatever you want as a journalist and not get shot or labelled an enemy of the state whenever you criticize someone in the government.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4266

Macbeth wrote:

They measure political freedoms like openness of the press, enfranchisement rates etc. hardly meaningless
yeah i would say with all the openness of the press you have in the US, you are reallllly enlightened.

freedom to think alex jones has a point. freedom to think fox news gives a reliable worldview. a whole lot of freedom in the american south.

enfranchisement i can agree with, but i don't necessarily think it follows that an all-voting democracy leads to a fairer system, or a higher quality of life. really is hard to draw a direct line of causation like that. aren't there plenty of political scientists that still link the stressing of the equality and empowerment of women is a major cause in the disintegration of the family? and hence as a corollary the increase in domestic violence, drug/sexual abuse, mental illness, etc.? you are just taking empty idealisms and projecting them into concrete fact. america has more 'freedom' than anywhere else, but you aren't world-leaders in much worth bragging about.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-06-17 03:53:08)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
LOL
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a6/Percent_poverty_world_map.png
No data is pretty good right?

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2013-06-17 03:53:36)

Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4266
now correlate the countries with the highest suicide rates and mental illness rates with that image of those 'living below poverty' line.

???
profit
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5597

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

yeah i would say with all the openness of the press you have in the US, you are reallllly enlightened.

freedom to think alex jones has a point. freedom to think fox news gives a reliable worldview. a whole lot of freedom in the american south.

enfranchisement i can agree with, but i don't necessarily think it follows that an all-voting democracy leads to a fairer system, or a higher quality of life. really is hard to draw a direct line of causation like that. aren't there plenty of political scientists that still link the stressing of the equality and empowerment of women is a major cause in the disintegration of the family? and hence as a corollary the increase in domestic violence, drug/sexual abuse, mental illness, etc.? you are just taking empty idealisms and projecting them into concrete fact. america has more 'freedom' than anywhere else, but you aren't world-leaders in much worth bragging about.
well considering that Europeans put folks in prison for calling people niggers on the internet or denying the holocaust, I think our free speech laws are great and much better than the alternative.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6787|Moscow, Russia

Cybargs wrote:

Shahter wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

wat
it means you can say whatever you want those who pay you want you to say - regardless of if it's true or not - as a journalist
fixed. now, what does that have to do with "political freedom" again?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6728

Shahter wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Shahter wrote:

wat
it means you can say whatever you want those who pay you want you to say - regardless of if it's true or not - as a journalist
at least people aren't murdered over saying shit that putin didn't like.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6787|Moscow, Russia

Cybargs wrote:

Shahter wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

you knew someone, who's been murdered like that? let's hear it.

Last edited by Shahter (2013-06-17 04:02:21)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

now correlate the countries with the highest suicide rates and mental illness rates with that image of those 'living below poverty' line.

???
profit
So negative, why don't you shoot up already?

There is a better correlation here:

https://thesituationist.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/happiness-map.jpg
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6728

Shahter wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Shahter wrote:

you knew someone, who's been murdered like that? let's hear it.
Anna Politkovskaya for one. oh but yeah must be western media bias.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_jo … _in_Russia

wiki has a nice list.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4266

Macbeth wrote:

my personal favorite map thing is the U.N.'s Human development index.

feels good to be part of the developed world
it needs an extra colour, because the scandinavian countries are ahead of you americans in almost every single way by quite a sizable margin. and yet it makes it seem like all of the dark-blue are 'equally developed'. there's a huge gap.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6787|Moscow, Russia
@ Macbeth and Cybargs:

but you have just agreed that anybody could quite literally just pull any of that out of their ass for thirty pieces of silver. what makes you so sure any of that is true?

Last edited by Shahter (2013-06-17 04:06:54)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4266

Dilbert_X wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

???
profit
So negative, why don't you shoot up already?

There is a better correlation here:

for someone who talks about art and taste's infinite regression into subjectivity and indeterminacy, you sure are a paid-in scientific believer to ideas of a 'happiness index'. which i think is very funny. happiness means different things to english people and french people. it is very culturally and materially specific. an african is happy with their day if they get some clean water from a well. an american is happy if they get the latest nike jordan trainers. but okay, let's put all that abstract 'happiness' into a giant world-spanning graph.

did the researchers go around measuring people's happiness with calipers? putting probes on their tongues? i'm sure it was all very scientific.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard