13/f/taiwan
+940|5716
Reddit has apologised for hosting online witch hunts as people used the social news website to try and expose those behind the bombing at the Boston Marathon. 

"Though started with noble intentions, some of the activity on Reddit fuelled online witch hunts and dangerous speculation which spiralled into very negative consequences for innocent parties," Reddit general manager Erik Martin said in a blog post on Monday.

"We all need to look at what happened and make sure that in the future we do everything we can to help, and not hinder, crisis situations."

Reddit along with some of its users and moderators apologised privately to the family of a missing college student wrongly implicated during a quest to use crowd-sourcing to identify who was behind the bombing, according to Martin.
"The Reddit staff and the millions of people on Reddit around the world deeply regret that this happened," Martin said.

The San Francisco-based news-sharing platform maintained that overall Reddit served as a "great clearinghouse" for information in the aftermath of the April 15 twin blasts that killed three and wounded more than 200.

"The vast majority of these activities were positive," Martin said. "They provided a way for people to stay informed, as well as a place to just discuss, cope, and try to make sense of what happened."

Self-anointed cyber-detectives took to social media en masse in the days after the bombing, sharing and analysing photos and videos from cellphones, cameras and TV coverage of the bombing, near the Boston Marathon finish line.

Taking the lead from the official investigation, the online manhunt notably focused on people with black rucksacks, posting and highlighting photos of a string of potential suspects -- sparking warnings of vigilantism.

"I don't think we know yet whether crowd-sourced investigation like the Reddit one can work, since this is really very new," Cindy Cohn of digital rights non-profit group the Electronic Frontier Foundation told AFP news agency.

"Real law enforcement is a skill, and even they get it wrong sometimes with horrible results for those affected," she said, citing cases of mistaken identity at the 1996 Atlantic Olympics and the 2004 Madrid bombings.

"So it's important that amateurs trying to help exercise discretion and avoid jumping to conclusions."
Should reddit face criminal/civil penalties for creating a witch hunt that ended up wrongfully smearing innocent people? I'm the last person to defend reddit as a message board but we can't hold site owners accountable to every single item that's posted. If it gets too far and drawn out, in the case of the Boston Bombing witch hunt, site owners should stop it before it escalates any further.

thoughts?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6789|PNW

Are you more asking "would you like to see reddit face charges" than "could they face charges?"

e: tidbit - defaming on an internet forum -expertlaw.com

I'm guessing laws like this might crash against internet bullying measures, but I'm not sure they'd be able to do anything other than go after the ringleaders of the defamation. Maybe they can start another witch hunt to single people out.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4271
the reddit/4chan orgy over the boston bombings was nothing other than the self-fancied 'detective work' of a generation of people raised on the idea that groupthink, unanswering 'follow that guy' behaviour, and stupid photoshop analysis makes them kiefer sutherland. it is laughable and it is also a disgrace. several people got seriously burned, including an already-grieving family, by the hackneyed vigilantism of 'the internets' and the world's dumbshit geeks. it is ludicrous. the FBI had evidence and are obviously trained in techniques that the lay public are not, and the FBI named the two suspects - which no one on the internet pointed out, not once - within a few days. but the internet thought it "knew better". the internet took it upon itself to bombard innocent people's twitter and youtube accounts with hate speech and taunts. it is disgraceful behaviour. do these kids not know the limits of their basement-dwelling reddit hobby?

the crux of the matter is that people do overstep their civilian rights/liberties when they choose to abuse or 'take action' on their whimsical beliefs. the law enforcement agencies appealing to the public "for information" is a whole lot different - and a whole lot more restrictive and distanced - than asking for thousands of asperger's sufferers to leave hateful comments and threats on other people who are very much "innocent until proven guilty".

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-04-24 04:36:21)

Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6707|Tampa Bay Florida

Roc18 wrote:

Holy shit.
Moral of the story : dont trust roc18
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4271
i'd rather lick a puddle of semen with blood in it than ever take roc18's advice on anything, ever.
Roc18
`
+655|5808|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY

Spearhead wrote:

Roc18 wrote:

Holy shit.
>Bring up post I made in the past
>imply that I think everything I posted was 100% true
Roc18
`

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

i'd rather lick a puddle of semen with blood in it than ever take roc18's advice on anything, ever.
Good for you.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6789|PNW

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

But if his advice was just that, you'd be in a pickle.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4271

Roc18 wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

Roc18 wrote:

Holy shit.
so you post stuff that you have no belief or conviction in? that makes sense. you were just the only person linking that retarded 4chan/reddit image crap in the thread, the whole time, yet you "didn't believe it". we didn't have faith in it, either. wanna know how you could tell? WE DIDN'T POST THE IMAGES.
Roc18
`

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Roc18 wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

so you post stuff that you have no belief or conviction in? that makes sense. you were just the only person linking that retarded 4chan/reddit image crap in the thread, the whole time, yet you "didn't believe it". we didn't have faith in it, either. wanna know how you could tell? WE DIDN'T POST THE IMAGES.
It's called speculation, I posted those pictures because it was relevant to the thread and could possibly be true. Doesn't mean I believe it's an absolute truth.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4271
right ok. all your talk about "believing the feds" was just 'idle speculation'. okay roc.
Roc18
`

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

right ok. all your talk about "believing the feds" was just 'idle speculation'. okay roc.
That was about the same thing im talking about now. Not knowing whether something we are being fed is an absolute truth.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6676|BC, Canada
Facepalm.
Roc18
`

-Whiteroom- wrote:

Facepalm.
One liner
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4271

Roc18 wrote:

-Whiteroom- wrote:

Facepalm.
One liner
one liner, coming from you. ok roc.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6676|BC, Canada

Roc18 wrote:

-Whiteroom- wrote:

Facepalm.
One liner
I was unaware that more was needed for most responses here. Uzi can do the long responses, he enjoys writing quite a bit.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5603

Spearhead wrote:

Roc18 wrote:

Holy shit.
Is it just me or are the two right most pictures of the missing kid different people?
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4271
i am a fucking insane typist, that is true.

https://i.imgur.com/JJk72oT.png

beat it, vigilantes
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4271

Macbeth wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

Roc18 wrote:

Holy shit.
Is it just me or are the two right most pictures of the missing kid different people?
considering the poster and campaign was put-out by his family... i doubt it.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4271
@ roc

Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4271
i hope the irony isn't lost on you roc that you reposted a bunch of discriminatory 'e-police' shots, mostly fingering people with suspicion because of their skin colour. just yet another example of how you want to suck white cock more than you want to breathe oxygen.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6754|Oxferd Ohire

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

@ roc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVkjg8BtzNM

love his how to report the news
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5603

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

considering the poster and campaign was put-out by his family... i doubt it.
Well they fished him out of the river a few days ago.
Roc18
`

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

i hope the irony isn't lost on you roc that you reposted a bunch of discriminatory 'e-police' shots, mostly fingering people with suspicion because of their skin colour. just yet another example of how you want to suck white cock more than you want to breathe oxygen.
So how does that explain the old white guy I posted?
Roc18
`

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

@ roc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVkjg8BtzNM
lol yurop

That was funny

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard