Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4272

Macbeth wrote:

hahaha okay. Every time someone mentions STEM majors or something related to college you prance in and talk about your physics classes at University of Toronto and how some people at your school work at CERN. It is your MO. We all know it by now.
more people from my 7,000 person university work at CERN that from the 'fantabulous' UofT, whose science budget is probably 10x my entire institutions' annual endowment. the CERN thing really is a red herring. it doesn't mean shit.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4272

1stSFOD-Delta wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

The military does have bearing on my life. We still spend too much money on the military and the super generous pity earned benefits we pay out to military people. I wish the government let me live with them for a few years, paid me for it, and then gave me free college after I got out. Maybe instead of giving them college we could have just called it a day and let them walk away with a few years of pay and living free. But no. GI JOE fans out there decided we needed to pay for their healthcare and college for the rest of their lives. Also set up things like military insurance companies so that their cars will always be insured for super cheap for the rest of their lives. Then we are expected to defer to them and thank them for their service. Like getting into the military was an accomplishment. Well I didn't join the military after I got out of high school. I got a real job. I paid for my own college and car insurance and other shit. I don't go around acting like tough shit or waiting for everyone to thank me and buy me a beer for it. Maybe instead of spending so much money to make sure military people feel good about themselves we could invest in in a business that doesn't involving killing goat herders.
Only a couple of the guys we killed were goat herders, FYI.

What is it with you guys and goat herders?

Not everybody in Afghanistan is a goat herder.
i find it hard to respect anyone that killed killed natives using 19th century technology with 21st century cutting edge air power. macbeth is right when he talks about the high praise reserved for the military sector in american society. and it is disproportionate and nearing a cult of militarism/technologism. the other day i was watching a jon stewart sketch (that's comedy, COMEDY) where he mocked north korea, and when it got to the point where he mentioned the US's F35 stealth planes or w/e they're called, the audience started chanting "US-A! US-A!" as if they were a fucking pack of caged chimps, or something. it was very simian. certain asian cultures (on topic) reserve the highest respect in their society on scholars and people of sage wisdom, or on elders. america worships its high-school drop-outs who shaved their hair and went to kill farmers on their native soil.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5376|London, England

Macbeth wrote:

The military does have bearing on my life. We still spend too much money on the military and the super generous pity earned benefits we pay out to military people. I wish the government let me live with them for a few years, paid me for it, and then gave me free college after I got out. Maybe instead of giving them college we could have just called it a day and let them walk away with a few years of pay and living free. But no. GI JOE fans out there decided we needed to pay for their healthcare and college for the rest of their lives. Also set up things like military insurance companies so that their cars will always be insured for super cheap for the rest of their lives. Then we are expected to defer to them and thank them for their service. Like getting into the military was an accomplishment. Well I didn't join the military after I got out of high school. I got a real job. I paid for my own college and car insurance and other shit. I don't go around acting like tough shit or waiting for everyone to thank me and buy me a beer for it. Maybe instead of spending so much money to make sure military people feel good about themselves we could invest in in a business that doesn't involving killing goat herders.
If the benefits are so amazing, why haven't you signed up? You silly you.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5603

I have better things to do.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Macbeth wrote:

Then the benefits aren't all that great then, are they? They're obviously not good enough to entice you off your couch.

Point is, you have the opportunity to earn those benefits, but you choose not to. Stop whining.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5603

But you guys shouldn't have the benefits in the first place. Why is my good behavior of being self reliant and getting a real job not rewarded but you guys running off to be taken care of for a few years get rewarded with free stuff for life? I worked hard and did everything right but a dropout can have someone cover their expenses for them for a few years and then be worshiped as a hero for it? I did the right thing from the start and didn't need the government to pay my bills for two years while I sat on a base somewhere. I could have if I wanted to but I did things the right way. Where is my parade? But no we have to give more free stuff to the dropout who sat on a base for 2 years all expenses paid while collecting a paycheck.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6734

Macbeth wrote:

But you guys shouldn't have the benefits in the first place. Why is my good behavior of being self reliant and getting a real job not rewarded but you guys running off to be taken care of for a few years get rewarded with free stuff for life? I worked hard and did everything right but a dropout can have someone cover their expenses for them for a few years and then be worshiped as a hero for it? I did the right thing from the start and didn't need the government to pay my bills for two years while I sat on a base somewhere. I could have if I wanted to but I did things the right way. Where is my parade? But no we have to give more free stuff to the dropout who sat on a base for 2 years all expenses paid while collecting a paycheck.
deferred income dumbass.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5603

Cybargs wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

deferred income dumbass.
The Montgomery GI Bill is designed to help you pay for your college education.

Depending on how long you enlist with the Army and the job you choose, you can get over $50,000 to help pay for college. All you have to do is give $100 a month during your first year of service.

While most people think of the Montgomery GI Bill as a military benefit, it’s not actually managed by the Department of Defense or any branch of the U.S. Military. The Montgomery GI Bill is actually a “veteran benefit” and is managed by the Veterans Administration, which administers the program based upon the laws enacted by Congress.

To find out more about current amounts and eligibility requirements, contact your local Army recruiter or Army job counselor.
http://www.goarmy.com/benefits/educatio … llege.html

$1200 for a complete college education? Sounds like a good investment. Maybe I should post that in the stupid ass investment thread.

Or how about
Soldiers who have served 90 or more days on active duty on or after Sept.11, 2001, are eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. The bill provides up to 36 months of benefits for education at an institution of higher learning. Benefits of the program include tuition, fees, a monthly living allowance, books and supplies. Benefits can also be transferred to a spouse or dependent children.
They really earn that shit.

Last edited by Macbeth (2013-04-23 08:03:02)

Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4272

Jay wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Then the benefits aren't all that great then, are they? They're obviously not good enough to entice you off your couch.

Point is, you have the opportunity to earn those benefits, but you choose not to. Stop whining.
it doesn't matter. it's not benefits in their mundane usual sense. it's financial incentives to go and kill people. people enter the military for a life of killing because they can't be bothered to get a real job, or put themselves through college. the contract sort of implicitly states "help us incur misery on foreign peoples, and we'll put you through college". financially rewarding, ethically bankrupt. you know most recruits going into the US armed forces have not spent a lot of time deliberating the ethical implications and consequences of their action.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6734
you know why the GI bill was put in place right?
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5603

Cybargs wrote:

you know why the GI bill was put in place right?
Oh yeah all of those draftees after 9/11 had it real rough.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Macbeth wrote:

No one is throwing you a parade because you lead an entirely selfish life that doesn't have a positive impact on the rest of the society you live in. You have to give something to get something, always. Your ultra entitled attitude exemplifies every negative thing that is currently being said about your generation. Piss off.
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5603

What has the U.S. military done for me lately? How about for American society? Stopped the Iraqi military from crossing the Mexican border? Stopped Afghan opium from flooding America? The military hasn't done jack shit lately. Especially your generation of military people and your branch.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4272

Jay wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

No one is throwing you a parade because you lead an entirely selfish life that doesn't have a positive impact on the rest of the society you live in. You have to give something to get something, always. Your ultra entitled attitude exemplifies every negative thing that is currently being said about your generation. Piss off.
how is the US military having a positive impact on the rest of society? most iraqis say their country was better under saddam. the fuck does the military do for america, other than eat up 60% of its tax budget that could be allocated on a decent medical system, or sorting out your terrible high-schools?

also: complaining about "entitled" people, whilst claiming benefits. okay.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-04-23 08:46:57)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Macbeth wrote:

What has the U.S. military done for me lately? How about for American society? Stopped the Iraqi military from crossing the Mexican border? Stopped Afghan opium from flooding America? The military hasn't done jack shit lately. Especially your generation of military people and your branch.
Is that the fault of the soldier serving, or the politicians who tell them where to go? Serving society is a noble ideal, is it not? Should we not glorify social workers who help poor people? You probably don't think so, because you have a problem with cops and firefighters too. Why should society do anything for you if you're not willing to do anything for society? Because you have a pulse? Stop being such an entitled douche. You're like the people that cry when some politician suggests that welfare recipients perform community service for their benefits. Nothing should be free.
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4272

Jay wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Is that the fault of the soldier serving, or the politicians who tell them where to go? Serving society is a noble ideal, is it not? Should we not glorify social workers who help poor people? You probably don't think so, because you have a problem with cops and firefighters too. Why should society do anything for you if you're not willing to do anything for society? Because you have a pulse? Stop being such an entitled douche. You're like the people that cry when some politician suggests that welfare recipients perform community service for their benefits. Nothing should be free.
you should probably stop dissing professors who "do nothing" then, because they must certainly "serve society" towards a "noble ideal".
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6123|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

How do soldiers 'serve' if its 'just a job with pay/benefits like any other' as you keep saying?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6734
Most soldiers are from middle-upper income levels for their ethnicities.

https://www.heritage.org/static/reportimages/360142B8859DD8EDA9D80F008077F3B5.gif
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5603

Then I guess they don't need the handouts and pity parties. They can pay for their own healthcare and college and not rely on the government to pay for their stuff. Maybe we can stop being guilt tripped into supporting them since the military isn't filled with people just trying to make it but instead filled with people who have every opportunity as we do. Since they are so well off and the government gives out so much free shit to them then I guess you could just file most military members as careerist. Careerist sounds much nicer than mercenary after all.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6734

Macbeth wrote:

Then I guess they don't need the handouts and pity parties. They can pay for their own healthcare and college and not rely on the government to pay for their stuff. Maybe we can stop being guilt tripped into supporting them since the military isn't filled with people just trying to make it but instead filled with people who have every opportunity as we do. Since they are so well off and the government gives out so much free shit to them then I guess you could just file most military members as careerist. Careerist sounds much nicer than mercenary after all.
they don't get that great healthcare benefits, VA hospitals are shit and if you go collect those VA health benefits, you can bet your ass they're gonna pull you back into active duty.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4272

Cybargs wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

they don't get that great healthcare benefits, VA hospitals are shit and if you go collect those VA health benefits, you can bet your ass they're gonna pull you back into active duty.
who cares? why the sympathy? there is no conscription. these people choose the career ladder. they obviously weigh it up, pros and cons. i think what macbeth is trying to say is that the cult of 'soldier worship' is misguided, and is based more on a sort of ww2-vietnam vet conception of a "military personnel", rather than the modern one, which is basically a heavily subsidized, state-spoonfed careerist path. hardly any soldiers join for 'noble purposes' or to genuinely 'defend democracy', they want to go "shoot towel-heads" or they want the state to give their life direction and discipline, because they are too wayward/poorly educated in 'the real world'. society owes nothing to modern soldiers. they are capitalist pawns.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-04-25 04:10:05)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Macbeth wrote:

Because they are recruitment tools? We don't have a draft anymore. We have an all volunteer military. Good luck trying to recruit people strictly on patriotism and the promise of an $8/hr salary. The GI Bill is an incentive to serve. Stop acting like it's an unearned entitlement, it makes you look like a petty sniveling moron.

As for health care, well, someone along the way decided that veterans should receive at least minimal care from the society that benefitted from their services. I believe it was Abraham Lincoln, but I could be wrong. It's kind of a drag being a bullet sponge for society and then being tossed out on the street when you're no longer needed, or you've had a leg amputated by an IED.

I really wish you'd find a new axe to grind, because you're not trolling me, you're just making yourself look bad.
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4272
pity the poor little bullet magnets that elect to go into a foreign country and drop airstrikes on people
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6341|Graz, Austria
But I heard you can get shiny medals for a certain amount of drone kills.
No danger at all!
13/f/taiwan
+940|5716
“Military men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in foreign policy.”

― Henry Kissinger

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard