Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5583

Since there are college discussions infecting non related threads let us concentrate them here. So to begin

How does your college grade things? How are Australians schools compared to everywhere else.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252
macbeth i think you have issues.

can we start an asian thread for you, too? seeing as almost every single discussion gets side-tracked with your monomania about asians. like the page of discussion we had about a bombing tragedy that somehow had the conspicuous detail for you of featuring an asian coed.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6495

amen.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714

Macbeth wrote:

Since there are college discussions infecting non related threads let us concentrate them here. So to begin

How does your college grade things? How are Australians schools compared to everywhere else.
Australian uni's are REALLY easy to get into if you're coming from a US system (only need 1600s for SAT's for a humanities degree). But it's tough work once you're actually in. Even the OMGSMARTASIANS flunk out.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5583

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

macbeth i think you have issues.

can we start an asian thread for you, too? seeing as almost every single discussion gets side-tracked with your monomania about asians. like the page of discussion we had about a bombing tragedy that somehow had the conspicuous detail for you of featuring an asian coed.
Asian thread? I would be down for that.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252
most elite french colleges and state ecoles have to take on everyone who applies, and literally 2/3'rds of the enrollment are expected to be 'phased out' and drop out from the course. they also have grand ecoles and super-elite colleges that are normally only accessed by privileged or promising students who go through a separate pre-uni schooling system, which is private & posh, in the grand lycees.

the more you know
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6150|what

https://i.imgur.com/Rr0Tuoq.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5540|Toronto
My school is in the top 30 in the world. A 4.0 is an 85. Around 10% of the class receives 80%+.

My work here is done.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714

Pochsy wrote:

My school is in the top 30 in the world. A 4.0 is an 85. Around 10% of the class receives 80%+.

My work here is done.
Less than 6.8% of students at my uni receive anything above a 75
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252

Cybargs wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

My work here is done.
Less than 6.8% of students at my uni receive anything above a 75
12-15% of our graduating classes, on average, get above a 70 overall in their degree (a 1:1, the lowest limit for the top grade)
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5997|...
About 5-8% here graduate cum laude (GPA average of 4.0), that's the only degree distinction we have. Well, that and summa cum laude but there's only a few people nationwide (some years none) who get that done.

Last edited by Shocking (2013-04-19 03:33:51)

inane little opines
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252
normally about 2-3 a year graduate summa over here, per department/faculty. some years 1 (or even none, though i didn't hear of it in my 4 years).
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5997|...
The summa's I've heard of were usually in exact sciences, never seen a humanities student graduate summa (I guess because it's not as clean cut right or wrong as with STEM degrees)
inane little opines
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252
yeah, getting above a 75 (a strong 1:1, magna) is extremely hard here. mostly because in the humanities, if you turn in a top-rate piece of work, they're normally only likely to mark it just a few marks above 70, the basic limit for the 'top' grade. as i said earlier, anything above an 80 then represents something of publishable, peer-review quality. anything above 90 is kind of starting to imply a sort of 'perfection' or total satisfaction that really just isn't possible in the humanities style classical 'essay' (essay etymologically deriving from the word for 'attempt'...). so it just doesn't happen. people mostly covet a 60-70 in the system over here, 65+ if you want a 'strong' or 'safe' grade. that's a 2:1, the standard 'good' pass (merit i guess you'd call it in systems with a pass/merit/distinction schema; something like a solid A- or 3.7GPA). almost all graduate-career jobs and career advancements will require a 2:1, but that's it. the 1:1 is just extra icing on the cake for particularly strong candidates. the magna/summa prizes are normally handed out here so infrequently, and only for such academic prowess, that they function more as academic sponsorships than concrete career benefit. most people who get them end up being lured by scholarships to postgraduate research.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-04-19 03:38:38)

Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5540|Toronto
I got screwed by the academic merit scholarships because I went into a professional masters. Anything worth more than 10k requires research proposals and supervisor references, neither of which I have due to the nature of my program. I'm left applying for numerous smaller scholarships to try and win some money. Life is hard.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252
i told you not to take a dumbshit masters
Nyte
Legendary BF2S Veteran
+535|6749|Toronto, ON
Standard 4.0 rating system at the University of Toronto (Engineering).

It's pretty much the best university in Canada and holds high prestige even amongst the rest of the world.

I skipped almost every lecture though because I was cool.
Alpha as fuck.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5176|Sydney
It's amazing how much ego validation some people perceive from people who really don't care.
Nyte
Legendary BF2S Veteran
+535|6749|Toronto, ON

Jaekus wrote:

It's amazing how much ego validation some people perceive from people who really don't care.
Cared enough to respond.  Win.
Alpha as fuck.
Jaekus
+957|5176|Sydney
Jury rests.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252
people who equate typing one cursory sentence into an internet browser with 'caring' are really cute
Jaekus
+957|5176|Sydney
Some people have a lame existence and think the response of a drunk person is "caring" and important. To each their own, I guess.
Nyte
Legendary BF2S Veteran
+535|6749|Toronto, ON

Jaekus wrote:

Some people have a lame existence and think the response of a drunk person is "caring" and important. To each their own, I guess.
A drunk person on this forum "caring" by responding.  Seems pretty lame to me.
Alpha as fuck.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6656|BC, Canada
Gotta have goals.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6736|Toronto | Canada

What stream did you take? Engsci?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard