uziq
+492|3450
like almost every other idea or belief that has temporarily taken residence in his yorkshire pudding of a head, jay is just parroting some 'edgy' alternative views he has acquired on his cess-pool punditry sites. 'womanly' thinking is his phrase of 2020.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6683|United States of America
I'm always skeptical of things marketed as "manly" as some cheap shit to separate the insecure from their money. My adblocker wasn't working briefly recently and I got a multitude of youtube ads for men's soap and a body hair trimmer. It was honestly disconcerting because the ad shtick specifically mentioned balls in both cases.

Things like lumberjack beards and bacon seem like they've been played out for at least a decade now, but it's still clung to by a certain demographic.  Undoubtedly the people who unironically would say "soy boy" certainly aren't helping.
Larssen
+99|1886
The inverse would be products marketed to women as feminine or womanly, including pink & other really bright colours + lots of emphasis on beauty.

Nobody takes issue with that, it's the norm. I don't take issue with products marketed to men in a similar way. Just recognise it for what it is though. Most of the time the only discerning features are targeted marketing and a distinct smell.
uziq
+492|3450
i feel so blessèd that i wasn't bullied or abused in a homoerotic system like the military, so i can shop for shoes and clothes (without sending my mummy or mummy-figure in the form of a wife to do it for me) without feeling anxious. it's a blast!
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6740|London

https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718

DesertFox- wrote:

I'm always skeptical of things marketed as "manly" as some cheap shit to separate the insecure from their money. My adblocker wasn't working briefly recently and I got a multitude of youtube ads for men's soap and a body hair trimmer. It was honestly disconcerting because the ad shtick specifically mentioned balls in both cases.

Things like lumberjack beards and bacon seem like they've been played out for at least a decade now, but it's still clung to by a certain demographic.  Undoubtedly the people who unironically would say "soy boy" certainly aren't helping.
I have to give a lot of credit to people who make browser ad blockers that work on YouTube. YouTube would be generally unusable if I had to sit through beard ads before watching a video about Operation Barbarosa or CPU benchmarks. And it really kills the mod when you are watching a "rant video" and it gets interrupted for an ad about some bullshit.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718

Larssen wrote:

The inverse would be products marketed to women as feminine or womanly, including pink & other really bright colours + lots of emphasis on beauty.

Nobody takes issue with that, it's the norm. I don't take issue with products marketed to men in a similar way. Just recognise it for what it is though. Most of the time the only discerning features are targeted marketing and a distinct smell.
The reason why no one is bothered by feminine marketing is because the women aren't the ones causing most of the chaos and disorder of modern times. 99% of mass shootings are committed by some guy with masculinity issues. 99% of terrorist attacks are guys upset they couldn't get a girlfriend. "Real men" marketing encourages bad behavior and mental illness way worse than any handbag commercial ever has.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6683|United States of America

SuperJail Warden wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

I have to give a lot of credit to people who make browser ad blockers that work on YouTube. YouTube would be generally unusable if I had to sit through beard ads before watching a video about Operation Barbarosa or CPU benchmarks. And it really kills the mod when you are watching a "rant video" and it gets interrupted for an ad about some bullshit.
It is ridiculous nowadays. A 15-minute video had 4-5 ads, generally the same fucking one.
Larssen
+99|1886

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Larssen wrote:

The reason why no one is bothered by feminine marketing is because the women aren't the ones causing most of the chaos and disorder of modern times. 99% of mass shootings are committed by some guy with masculinity issues. 99% of terrorist attacks are guys upset they couldn't get a girlfriend. "Real men" marketing encourages bad behavior and mental illness way worse than any handbag commercial ever has.
Men were killing eachother long before 'male marketing' became a thing. This is 'video games cause violence' level of argument macbeth.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England
Man, the LL Bean Boots got some hate, eh? They're part of the preppy uniform, along with Sperry boat shoes, here in the northeast.

Last edited by Jay (2020-05-24 14:46:31)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718

Larssen wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Larssen wrote:

Men were killing eachother long before 'male marketing' became a thing. This is 'video games cause violence' level of argument macbeth.
Male marketing and violent media reinforces institutions and practices that promote violence. Denying that violent media normalizes violence is to reject the idea that humans are capable of being influenced by the culture they surround themselves in.

That said, I am not saying to take away people's video games or violent movies. I am just saying that we should at least not pretend that these things are a special public good in need of protection. And I am saying that as someone who has seen more real people go boom and splat on /r/combatfootage and /r/syriancivilwar than most of you combined.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718

Jay wrote:

Man, the LL Bean Boots got some hate, eh? They're part of the preppy uniform, along with Sperry boat shoes, here in the northeast.
Boots are more a hipster fashion choice than preppy choice. Boat shoes are yacht club and suburban footwear. Boots are very much working class urban hipster footwear.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
Urban hipsters like boots because they are reliable and are great when hiking to the subway in the snow to get to their coffee shop job. Preppy people don't need to fuck with snow hiking. A lot of office workers are only ever outside enough to get to their cars.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
These are Bean Boots:
https://cdni.llbean.net/is/image/wim/175052_1914_41?hei=1379&wid=1200&resMode=sharp2&defaultImage=llbstage/A0211793_2

They're meant for hiking/hunting in the rain. Common as dirt among white people.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Larssen
+99|1886

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Male marketing and violent media reinforces institutions and practices that promote violence. Denying that violent media normalizes violence is to reject the idea that humans are capable of being influenced by the culture they surround themselves in.

That said, I am not saying to take away people's video games or violent movies. I am just saying that we should at least not pretend that these things are a special public good in need of protection. And I am saying that as someone who has seen more real people go boom and splat on /r/combatfootage and /r/syriancivilwar than most of you combined.
When I see your marines shout during training 'ooh aah I wanna kill somebody', yeah I get where the violence comes from. When I see your cops dress up like special forces, I see where the violence comes from. When I see the local glorification of gangsters & gang wars, I see where that violence comes from. There's many more examples.

The syrian civil war also didn't start because someone 'felt manly'.

A beard wax marketed to men with an 'oaky fragrence' and a black container has no bearing on this.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-05-24 15:00:42)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718

Jay wrote:

These are Bean Boots:

They're meant for hiking/hunting in the rain. Common as dirt among white people.
Maybe older white people in your closed circle. Young urban white people don't buy boots like that. That shit looks like something a farmer would wear.
uziq
+492|3450

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Larssen wrote:

you must have missed the last 30 years of feminist critiques of 'the beauty industry', plus the whole recent trend towards plus-size models and what-have-you. strict standards of 'femininity' as encapsulated in fashion magazines and whatever have caused untold suffering (so the line of thinking goes).

the most dangerous mental illnesses of all, statistically speaking, are anorexia and bulimia. highest death rate. young girls are sometimes very badly affected by the images that proliferate around them, to which they don't match up.
uziq
+492|3450

Jay wrote:

why do you aspire to the preppy uniform? isn't that a bit gay and effeminate? collegiate? you do know that the paraboots i linked are pretty much in the top-tier estimation of slavish/modish 'preppy' trendsetters, right?

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-24 15:09:55)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718

Larssen wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

When I see your marines shout during training 'ooh aah I wanna kill somebody', yeah I get where the violence comes from. When I see your cops dress up like special forces, I see where the violence comes from. When I see the local glorification of gangsters & gang wars, I see where that violence comes from. There's many more examples.

The syrian civil war also didn't start because someone 'felt manly'.

A beard wax marketed to men with an 'oaky fragrence' and a black container has no bearing on this.
I didn't say the Syrian Civil War started because of male marketing. I used it as an example that I am not repulsed by violence like some people assume you are when you suggest that kids not play games where people's heads explode.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

Jay wrote:

why do you aspire to the preppy uniform? isn't that a bit gay and effeminate? collegiate? you do know that the paraboots i linked are pretty much in the top-tier estimation of slavish/modish 'preppy' trendsetters, right?
I don't aspire to any uniform. I wear things that appeal to me.

And i don't have issues with my masculinity uzi. You do, rightfully, which is why it's so fun to make you uncomfortable.
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

Jay wrote:

And i don't have issues with my masculinity uzi. You do, rightfully, which is why it's so fun to make you uncomfortable.
It is very gay to find fun in playing with men's feelings.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

It is very gay to find fun in playing with men's feelings.
I know which is another thing that makes uzi a flaming homo.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3450

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

Jay wrote:

i don't know why you ever think that. i'm good with the ladies.

i don't think i've ever done anything to try and 'prove' my manliness in my life. it just doesn't occur to me.

ever think maybe we all don't carry around these giant chips on our shoulder, jay? it must be tough being you. a guy with a deadbeat dad and a poor background who is obsessed with how to be a man, and secretly likes that he dresses preppy. what a bundle of contradictions you are.

and of course, 'i have a style of my own'. yes, you are totally unique! nobody else can possibly buy and wear things that appeal to them. you've been schooled well by right-wing blowhards: everyone else is a sheep and a follower! i am surely the exception!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

uziq wrote:

i feel so blessèd that i wasn't bullied or abused in a homoerotic system like the military, so i can shop for shoes and clothes (without sending my mummy or mummy-figure in the form of a wife to do it for me) without feeling anxious. it's a blast!
That seems like an abnormality to me. Towns full of military families, dudes in BDUs buying diapers and baby wipes aren't an uncommon sight. Why would they feel self-conscious buying clothes? They probably know how to sew buttons onto clothing too.

Larssen wrote:

I don't take issue with products marketed to men in a similar way. Just recognise it for what it is though. Most of the time the only discerning features are targeted marketing and a distinct smell.
I don't think I've ever whiffed a single product marketed "especially for men" or whatever that wasn't some unholy, stomach-turning concoction. Ghastly stuff.

DesertFox- wrote:

I think advertisers are self-aware and making as much use of "for the memes" as they possibly can. I'm less concerned about a commercial talking at length about "treating your balls to our new horny badger pube trimmer," and more about people who get unironically sold on it.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
This is what happens when soldiers go shopping

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2020-05-24 16:06:31)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard