uziq
+492|3445

Jay wrote:

But I hate to tell you that people who volunteer to put their life on the line for the greater good automatically are a prestige step higher in a democratic society. Cops, firefighters, soldiers, sure, it's their job, but they wouldn't do it (and deal with the shit pay) if they didn't get to do a bit of chest beating about it as a bonus.
do you mean like those doctors and nurses you have been denigrating at every opportunity?

who is braver and exposed to more harm/trauma: a frontline ICU worker during a pandemic, or jay on a base somewhere playing xbox hearing a dull thud with dust coming down from the steel beams once every 11 days?

sorry but in the rest of the reasonable world, 'veterans' of iraq-afghan aren't accorded any great 'hero' prestige at all. they are more often seen as people with limited education/work opportunities who look to the armed forces to give structure to their lives and provide the opportunity of an otherwise vanishing career. you fought an illegal and asymmetric war with a vast technological advantage and killed/immiserated hundreds of thousands of innocent people. it's a national disgrace in which our young servicemen were badly misled. that you didn't have a moment of valour or dive on a grenade for your squad just makes it all the more sordid and pointless.

the only veterans on this forum who did service requiring any bravery and deserving any ordinary respect left ages ago. you're lucky you're the only one here who can hoot about his service now. what would gunslinger or FEOS say if they saw you preening like chris kyle? didn't they all used to pick on you and call you a pog every time you tried to have a share in the glory?

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-03 04:27:51)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5351|London, England

uziq wrote:

Jay wrote:

I barely like sleeping with a blanket on, let alone clothing.
pyjamas are for wearing around the house in the day. it’s called loungewear. you’d know this if you didn’t grow up working-class. enjoy a little bit of petit-bourgeois luxury, jay. it’s nice to slip into some
comfortable clothes and not wear out your dickies and carhartt.
loungewear? You mean sweats and shorts?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Is it because he gets hot, I wonder? I'd try some cooling sheets. Stuff made to help with temperature regulation.
I sleep with one foot outside of the blankets to regulate temperature.  I'm sure it would drive you nuts
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3445

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

Jay wrote:

I barely like sleeping with a blanket on, let alone clothing.
pyjamas are for wearing around the house in the day. it’s called loungewear. you’d know this if you didn’t grow up working-class. enjoy a little bit of petit-bourgeois luxury, jay. it’s nice to slip into some
yes, that works too. i also wear those! what are you, a fag or something?

i was talking about pyjama tops on zoom because they have collars. do keep up.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

Jay wrote:

But I hate to tell you that people who volunteer to put their life on the line for the greater good automatically are a prestige step higher in a democratic society. Cops, firefighters, soldiers, sure, it's their job, but they wouldn't do it (and deal with the shit pay) if they didn't get to do a bit of chest beating about it as a bonus.
do you mean like those doctors and nurses you have been denigrating at every opportunity?

who is braver and exposed to more harm/trauma: a frontline ICU worker during a pandemic, or jay on a base somewhere playing xbox hearing a dull thud with dust coming down from the steel beams once every 11 days?

sorry but in the rest of the reasonable world, 'veterans' of iraq-afghan aren't accorded any great 'hero' prestige at all. they are more often seen as people with limited education/work opportunities who look to the armed forces to give structure to their lives and provide the opportunity of an otherwise vanishing career. you fought an illegal and asymmetric war with a vast technological advantage and killed/immiserated hundreds of thousands of innocent people. it's a national disgrace in which our young servicemen were badly misled. that you didn't have a moment of valour or dive on a grenade for your squad just makes it all the more sordid and pointless.

the only veterans on this forum who did service requiring any bravery and deserving any ordinary respect left ages ago. you're lucky you're the only one here who can hoot about his service now. what would gunslinger or FEOS say if they saw you preening like chris kyle? didn't they all used to pick on you and call you a pog every time you tried to have a share in the glory?
You're full of vim and vigor today aren't you? Still a complete physical and intellectual coward, but plucky. If you were here I'd rub your shaggy head for you and tell you what a good boy you are.

Last edited by Jay (2020-05-03 05:56:04)

-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

yes, that works too. i also wear those! what are you, a fag or something?

i was talking about pyjama tops on zoom because they have collars. do keep up.
My children wear pajamas. Most children do. Are you Peter Pan?
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3445

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

Jay wrote:

You're full of vim and vigor today aren't you? Still a complete physical and intellectual coward, but plucky. If you were here I'd rub your shaggy head for you and tell you what a good boy you are.
it's nice to see you adopting the same jovial tone to me as i do to you. did you learn something from your little trip through our correspondence over the years, when you were lying and trying to make out to people that i ever 'grovelled' to you? cute.

adults wear pyjamas, jay. men, too. have you ever been to a department store lately?

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-03 06:04:16)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
That place at the mall where all the middle aged women shop?
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3445
again, i'm very sorry that you come from a class and background that still bears asinine hang-ups about 'masculinity'. it's not my problem. you should talk to a psychiatrist about your absent father and its ramifications on your outlook.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6099|eXtreme to the maX
I don't wear pyjamas, shorts at most.
Around the house its t-shirt and cargo pants.

And yes I buy clothes from shops.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3445
i think it’s safe assume that if most brands do pyjamas, men are buying them in sufficient number.

this incessant need to grade things by ‘manliness’ or masculinity betrays only the neuroses of the bearer. is this alcoholic drink manly enough? should i go to a store to buy clothes? is my job sufficiently masculine? do i think like a woman? being in touch with emotions is bad!

i can’t imagine how anyone thinks they’re making or winning an argument with this stuff. it makes them look mentally crippled.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5536|Toronto
I don't know if I'm just stupid or incapable, but I really don't spend my days contemplating the principled stance I want to take when living my daily life. Literally never. I try to identify the assumptions and inconsistencies underlying my actions, but I never engage in a philosophic consideration of how I should act in the future. I live it. I learn from it. I internalize it. These things are not on the fore-front of my mind.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
uziq
+492|3445
jay constantly accuses other people of being insecure, which is pretty wild when you think about it.

imagine being afraid to wear pyjamas.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
On topic: So far I've put zero effort into developing any kind of fashion aesthetic for myself, one of my artsy designer friends has told me that I do have a consistent one but he didn't much like it. I should have asked what it was.
He did make me go to the store his brother works in and buy some clothes he picked out for me, I think I still have them somewhere.
uziq
+492|3445
the style-that-is-no-style, aka 'normcore'? its 90s variant became wildly fashionable a few years ago.

new balance now market their 990 shoe as 'a shoe for dads in ohio and supermodels in london'.

and yes, i have them, despite probably being nearer to the dad in ohio at this point in my life.

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-03 06:45:07)

Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5536|Toronto

Dilbert_X wrote:

On topic: So far I've put zero effort into developing any kind of fashion aesthetic for myself, one of my artsy designer friends has told me that I do have a consistent one but he didn't much like it. I should have asked what it was.
He did make me go to the store his brother works in and buy some clothes he picked out for me, I think I still have them somewhere.
I imagine you wearing Eddie Bauer flannel and earth-tone pants with a hiking shoe.

Gimme a 1-10 on how close I am
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
uziq
+492|3445
i picture a lot of khaki and one of those big cork hats to protect his fragile ginger bonce from the penetrating UV rays.

in my head i seriously picture dilbert as somewhat of a composite akin to this guy.

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-03 06:47:20)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Pochsy wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

I imagine you wearing Eddie Bauer flannel and earth-tone pants with a hiking shoe.

Gimme a 1-10 on how close I am
Do me! Do me!
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3445
we've seen you. you wear poorly fitting clothes and look like someone uncomfortable dressing middle-class.

evidently you send your wife to the department store to buy things for you.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Erm, I just bought some New Balance 860s and apart from never wearing jeans I guess its something like normcore if that means slightly worn workwear plus a fleece.

Flannel, no.
uziq
+492|3445
990s master-race.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5536|Toronto
Adidas Gazelle is my go-to running shoe. Pretty timeless design.

https://www.efootwear.eu/media/catalog/product/cache/image/650x650/0/0/0000200441269_01_gh_1.jpg
uziq
+492|3445
i don't actually run in my 990s, they are way too expensive and suede is the worst material for it. plus i prefer to run in woods/trails so need a different shoe.

i have this shoe for casual wear.

https://cdn3.boutique.humbleandrich.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/09212724/New-Balance-990-Sneakers-Review.jpg

in that colour pictured and a darker grey/black variant for different outfits.

i run in asics.

https://cdn3.boutique.humbleandrich.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/09195018/ASICS-GEL-Venture-5-Running-Shoes-Sneakers-Review-3.png

though it's probably my last pair of them, as they're becoming maddeningly hard to find and the newer iterations are rubbish.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6677|United States of America
Asics have been my favorite running shoe brand since I was in track. I currently have a pair of New Balance because I needed a quick replacement a little bit ago. I've been quite pleased with how they've held up for all the miles logged.

https://i.imgur.com/0ODPwZF.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712
Things I have learned from my pandemic long hair experience: never hire a murderer with a beard. Beard hair sheds pretty easily. Also people with Viking beards are probably consistently unintentionally eating their own hair. I have to be careful with a bowl of cereal or soup that I don't deposit hair into the bowl.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard