Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5543|Toronto
I can understand painting in broad strokes, but if you're doing so I think you need to allow others to do so, too.

I'd also chime in and say that 'right' and 'left' mean very different things for all of us. You are American. Uzi is British. Dil is Australian. I am Canadian. It's not as useful a construct when talking to people from around the world, as we learned in the guns thread.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5358|London, England

Pochsy wrote:

I can understand painting in broad strokes, but if you're doing so I think you need to allow others to do so, too.

I'd also chime in and say that 'right' and 'left' mean very different things for all of us. You are American. Uzi is British. Dil is Australian. I am Canadian. It's not as useful a construct when talking to people from around the world, as we learned in the guns thread.
Sure, and you are correct, but I generally only refer to American politics. I don't care about the UK, and Canada isn't all that interesting, honestly. uzi likes to insert himself in every conversation, even when they're strictly about American politics, and it's easy to lump him in with our left wingers anyway. He shares most of their traits. I apologize if you wish to be treated on a more personal level, but I don't know you much beyond my past experience with you which consisted of you parroting uzique and calling me stupid while acting condescending from your perch in a provincial government post. You are mildly more interesting than larssen, so you do have that going for you.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

You know, it kind of makes sense that jay might possibly have an aversion to pajamas stemming from his horrible jungle war experiences in the 'nam.

We shouldn't make fun.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I barely like sleeping with a blanket on, let alone clothing.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5543|Toronto

Jay wrote:

I apologize if you wish to be treated on a more personal level, but I don't know you much beyond my past experience with you which consisted of you parroting uzique and calling me stupid while acting condescending from your perch in a provincial government post. You are mildly more interesting than larssen, so you do have that going for you.
Uzi and I have similar education backgrounds. It's likely led to a number of similar characteristics and views.

I suspect Larssen knows something about Political Science or International Relations. This is also part of my education background. I appreciate being considered the more interesting one between us.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

Sure, and you are correct, but I generally only refer to American politics. I don't care about the UK, and Canada isn't all that interesting, honestly. uzi likes to insert himself in every conversation, even when they're strictly about American politics, and it's easy to lump him in with our left wingers anyway. He shares most of their traits. I apologize if you wish to be treated on a more personal level, but I don't know you much beyond my past experience with you which consisted of you parroting uzique and calling me stupid while acting condescending from your perch in a provincial government post. You are mildly more interesting than larssen, so you do have that going for you.
America has a habit of launching its politics all over the world, it affects us so we're concerned.
Once again, both my countries have been sucked into multiple politically-driven American wars of choice for a long period now, it does affect us.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

America has a habit of launching its politics all over the world, it affects us so we're concerned.
Once again, both my countries have been sucked into multiple politically-driven American wars of choice for a long period now, it does affect us.
Voluntarily
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
https://www.azquotes.com/picture-quotes/quote-over-time-it-s-going-to-be-important-for-nations-to-know-they-will-be-held-accountable-george-w-bush-95-98-36.jpg
Except as we know now it wasn't about terrorism.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jay wrote:

I'm 6'3", a military veteran, and was a sports star in high school.
But you weren't kicking down doors in the middle of the night and dragging terrorists out for interrogation (thats what my father did, before the invention of body armour) were you?

You were in a tent miles from the action unrolling coax and rebooting servers no?

High school sports star, anyway....
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

I'm 6'3", a military veteran, and was a sports star in high school.
But you weren't kicking down doors in the middle of the night and dragging terrorists out for interrogation (thats what my father did, before the invention of body armour) were you?

You were in a tent miles from the action unrolling coax and rebooting servers no?

High school sports star, anyway....
Not kicking down doors, no, but there was no "front" in Baghdad. We got hit with mortars and RPGs every day and had to deal with IEDs when we left the wire.

I originally wanted to be airborne infantry, but I got talked out of going infantry by my recruiter. He stroked my ego and told me that someone with such high test scores shouldn't waste his time in the mud. I regret it. I'm sure he got a nice bonus for directing me into a higher need MOS.
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
OK so you sat in a tent and dreamt of doing something else.
Sorry but that doesn't make you a hero.

I lived in London during the IRA blitz, kneel before me.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-05-02 19:07:00)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

Correct. Not a hero.

But I hate to tell you that people who volunteer to put their life on the line for the greater good automatically are a prestige step higher in a democratic society. Cops, firefighters, soldiers, sure, it's their job, but they wouldn't do it (and deal with the shit pay) if they didn't get to do a bit of chest beating about it as a bonus.

Last edited by Jay (2020-05-02 19:13:36)

-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Limited career options and expensive education outside the military are probably one of the driving forces behind army recruitment.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719

Jay wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Correct. Not a hero.

But I hate to tell you that people who volunteer to put their life on the line for the greater good automatically are a prestige step higher in a democratic society. Cops, firefighters, soldiers, sure, it's their job, but they wouldn't do it (and deal with the shit pay) if they didn't get to do a bit of chest beating about it as a bonus.
when i become a cop, will you call me a hero?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

You gotta be strong and you gotta be fast.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jay wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Correct. Not a hero.

But I hate to tell you that people who volunteer to put their life on the line for the greater good automatically are a prestige step higher in a democratic society.

Jay wrote:

I enlisted in September, 2000, two days less than one year prior to 9/11 occurring. I joined for many reasons, I was aimless and without a trade and had a girlfriend that I had dated for four years that I thought I might marry one day. I was depressed because I was stuck at home commuting to college via bus while my friends were all away at four year colleges. If any job had presented an offer to pay for four years of college I would've taken it. It just so happened that the military was offering such a deal.
Soldiers etc like to think they're a 'step higher' but they really aren't.

If people go into that career for the prestige then they're not selfless heros, they're egotistical jerks.

It would be great if people could quietly get on with whatever it is they want to do, not expect and demand hero-worship at every turn.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-05-02 21:46:11)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Correct. Not a hero.

when i become a cop, will you call me a hero?
Sure
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719
Thank you. That is all I ever wanted.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Make sure to supply us with pictures of the dog so we can identify the body later.
uziq
+492|3452

Jay wrote:

I barely like sleeping with a blanket on, let alone clothing.
pyjamas are for wearing around the house in the day. it’s called loungewear. you’d know this if you didn’t grow up working-class. enjoy a little bit of petit-bourgeois luxury, jay. it’s nice to slip into some
comfortable clothes and not wear out your dickies and carhartt.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Is it because he gets hot, I wonder? I'd try some cooling sheets. Stuff made to help with temperature regulation.
uziq
+492|3452

Pochsy wrote:

Jay wrote:

I apologize if you wish to be treated on a more personal level, but I don't know you much beyond my past experience with you which consisted of you parroting uzique and calling me stupid while acting condescending from your perch in a provincial government post. You are mildly more interesting than larssen, so you do have that going for you.
Uzi and I have similar education backgrounds. It's likely led to a number of similar characteristics and views.

I suspect Larssen knows something about Political Science or International Relations. This is also part of my education background. I appreciate being considered the more interesting one between us.
all three of us have graduate school degrees and work in white-collar fields using said graduate-school expertise.

i suspect we have very different politics. i know i do to larssen.

of course jay lumps us all together as ‘brainwashed snobs’ because he just has no experience with or perspective on people from grad-school careers. he’s a technician who never went to a proper university. to him we’re all just lib cucks. worse, we are pansies and pretty boys. we do effete work. our working conditions don’t chap our skin or brutalise us. he’s deeply suspicious of that.

we are all ‘un-creative followers’ because we’ve been schooled. of course, jay just betrays that he has no idea what said schooling is even about; it’s simply not in his ken. i don’t think jay could get a PhD in history or even, heaven forbid, physics if he spent the next 10 years of his life having a run at it. and i suspect there’s much more ‘creativity’ and independent-thinking in our master’s theses than there is in his daily air-con work and checklists.

also: remember, we are the snobs when we criticise his posts, but it’s fine for him to denigrate your (more socially regarded, much more competitive) field as ‘woman’s work’, ‘a provincial government post’, etc. as if the guy could even get a job in policy doing photocopying.

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-03 03:39:50)

uziq
+492|3452

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Is it because he gets hot, I wonder? I'd try some cooling sheets. Stuff made to help with temperature regulation.
he’s probably hot at night because his pancreas and liver are working overtime on all the salt and sugar from his cornbread-rich diet. you don’t get to that size eating pesto and penne.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

you don’t get to that size eating pesto and penne.
Have you met any italians?
uziq
+492|3452
both probably do share a heavy predilection for gabbagool.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard