rh27
Not really a Brit
+51|6567|England
General game related reviews and sketches. I know the quality of video isn't that great just yet; hopefully will overcome the learning curve soon.
This is my spoiler-free first impressions of Bioshock Infinite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aro1awq-2vs

Any feedback or ideas on how to improve are appreciated!
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6124|what

Get a better pc.

Show more footage of the game than your face
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5935|London, England

now you can be friends with shifty and make epic maymay videos together
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4225
you need a unique selling point. there are so many people out there making meagre and middle-of-the-road reviews of terrible games.

look at totalbiscuit, for example. he completely exaggerated a (dumb, imo) ridiculous facet of his personality - his cynicism and britishness - into a 'brand'. you have to basically make yourself into a comic book version of yourself. there are hundreds of thousands of gamers out there who have an opinion and windows movie maker. you either need expert commentary or a personality that is somehow over-the-top and unusual.

a shifty collab would be sick.
Roc18
`
+655|5762|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

you need a unique selling point. there are so many people out there making meagre and middle-of-the-road reviews of terrible games.

look at totalbiscuit, for example. he completely exaggerated a (dumb, imo) ridiculous facet of his personality - his cynicism and britishness - into a 'brand'. you have to basically make yourself into a comic book version of yourself. there are hundreds of thousands of gamers out there who have an opinion and windows movie maker. you either need expert commentary or a personality that is somehow over-the-top and unusual.

I like TB
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6708|Oxferd Ohire
course you do
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4225
TB is insufferable and caters to the worst of the gaming casual crowd.

wait

course you do
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5149|Sydney

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

This.

Yahtzee is popular because he does it well (IMO), he has a unique and easily identifiable angle and he does it in a way that most importantly gets attention. You need to make short, snappy videos that immediately grab your attention and trigger some sort of reaction from your audience. Love or hate you, it will be talked about and that will spread. Just doing something that's 'safe' is boring and people will think "oh, that's nice" and forget about you by the time they're 30 seconds into some other video.

It depends on your goal though, if you just want to make a few youtube videos for fun for those genuinely interested in the game itself then you've achieved that. If you want people to have an interest in your channel you need to do more.

Last edited by Jaekus (2013-03-26 17:13:18)

Roc18
`

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

wait

course you do
k, I like to think the guy who made reviewing games his career is pretty knowledgeable about the industry and who's opinion should be at least somewhat respected.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6708|Oxferd Ohire
Fox news is pretty knowledgeable and respected.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Roc18
`
TB doesn't lie like Fox News. Dude is actually honest about alot of what he says. Just watch his War-Z review that's a prime example.
rh27
Not really a Brit
+51|6567|England
Thanks for the comments guys. I have a pretty good idea of where I need to go from here. I'll be spending much more time on the next one making it a lot more interesting.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4225

Roc18 wrote:

TB doesn't lie like Fox News. Dude is actually honest about alot of what he says. Just watch his War-Z review that's a prime example.
omg yeah he was so honest and straight about that obvious trainwreck of a game i really respect his integrity
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4225

Roc18 wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

wait

course you do
k, I like to think the guy who made reviewing games his career is pretty knowledgeable about the industry and who's opinion should be at least somewhat respected.
he made his career and subscriber base actually talking about world of warcraft in the late stages of the game, when it was a casuals-only affair. then the game became even too casual for him, and he quit, and moved over into covering things like minecraft and terraria and acquiring more of the 'lelelele xD' youtube crowd. yeah, a real expert. he hasn't played a single game to a high-level. he knows nothing about video-game design or balance. TB is so successful because he can put the average gamers' views in nicely worded prose and a funny british accent. that is his whole appeal. he's not doing hardcore in-depth analysis or evaluation in any of his videos.

look at his dota2 content. look at his sc2 content. the whole point is that he's a noob, trainwrecking, and other noobs can watch and feel comfortable/learn along with him. you are fucking dumb as hell if you think that because a guy has "made a career", he is an "expert". it's called being a "pundit". look at the standard of other professional reviewers he is competing against: the entire print journalism/written reviews side of things is totally compromised, and handed over to advertisers, where they give 9/10 for every piece of shit game that comes out. it doesn't really say much that he has made a living being a little bit harsh to computer games every now and then in a funny british accent.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-03-27 05:32:08)

Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6593|Little Bentcock
The accent is pretty funny though.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4225
!!!! +subscribe

he's a geordie, so it's just irritating in the UK

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-03-27 05:47:47)

eusgen
Nugget
+402|6763|Jupiter

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

I would appreciate it if you wore a suit like in the graphics. nice voice. what does richnode mean?
Roc18
`

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Roc18 wrote:

omg yeah he was so honest and straight about that obvious trainwreck of a game i really respect his integrity
You don't have to be elite at a game to critique it accurately. You're just mad cause he's so successful.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4225
yes i'm incredibly mad because totalbiscuit has carved a life for himself uploading 2 hours of youtube video every day.

so envious.
Roc18
`

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

yes i'm incredibly mad because totalbiscuit has carved a life for himself uploading 2 hours of youtube video every day.

so envious.
Admitting it is the first step. I'm proud of you.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4225
i think you guys are vastly over-stating the appeal of that lifestyle. hasn't TB said on record several times that he struggles with serious depression and anxiety as a result of his lifestyle? all to be a youtube celebrity? ok. i'm envious. i want all those fat american gamer babes to lust after me.
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5970|Vortex Ring State
haven't you all watched the vice series on youtube celebrities

most live awful lives
jord
+2,382|6649|The North, beyond the wall.
what kind of pay will he get, i know it's pitiful but i'm curious.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4225
well first off TB is like the one in a million who can manage to turn uploading 2 hours of opinion a day into a living.

(we'll just skip, again, the matter of his content being mass-appeasing bilge)

i think he lives pretty well for it. pretty sure youtube partners get like a dollar for every thousand views, or something (clarification please?)

on average most of his videos get a safe 100k views. he probably makes an above-average wage over a regular job (if you think that 5-6 videos a week make him at least $150 each, going off that above partner-figure i've got [which could be wrong]).

mind you it's not exactly as safe as a full-time job. a few 'youtube celebs' and 'gaming experts' have seen their subscriber base and viewer figures completely drop off in the space of a year. a guy called husky i remember who used to cast loads of starcraft 2 content back when it was the big 'buzz' title has totally seen his viewer-base drop off. it's the sort of thing you could work towards, finally manage to quit your IRL job to pursue, and then see fall apart less than twelve months later.

all in all a pretty envious lifestyle. bearing in mind TB spent all of his adult years pre-youtube working as a retail assistant for GAME, basically being a middle-aged no life nerd. and bearing in mind he is the most fortunate of all the 'youtube gaming casters'. esports/gaming ain't exactly a golden fucking ticket just yet.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-03-27 13:14:50)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard