SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3721

uziq wrote:

my little cousin is an officer in the royal marines. we were very close growing up. he is without question the toughest person i know. unimaginably tough. i am in awe of the levels of physical grit and determination he put in to get there. he was my pudgy kid cousin and now he's half a foot taller than me and trains in the fucking arctic circle with special forces.

want to know how often he mentions he's an RM in real-life and uses it in discussions? z e r o
My father was in the U.S. Army. Both of my grandfathers were army Korea War veterans. My grandfathers never talked about their military service at all. My dad isn't one of those "I was in the army" types either. None of the three men are/were into politics. I think taking military service as an identity is a kind of identity politics that is only reached once you develop an ideology which most lumpenproletariat will never do. Having fancy ideas about military service and citizenship is a middle class luxury. If that makes any sense to you.

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2020-06-16 15:44:27)

https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5359|London, England

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Jay, most of the veterans I know don't use their service as a bludgeon in casual political argumentation. Didn't you have a story about abandoning your post or something, or do I keep misremembering you as another guy? If I'd served in the army and vacated my post because a mortar going off somewhere spooked me, I certainly wouldn't be playing boastful "thank me for my service" tough guy with chest all puffed out. If you ran for anything more cutthroat than city council, you might start collecting your own version of disgruntled swift vets.

I'm not going to x to doubt your motive for volunteering, but the kids that joined the military out of high school got to hold up giant checks to show off to the rest of the graduating class. Some really juicy ones, too. I wouldn't feel it warranted to come down on public welfares after being a recipient of military college money.

You get mad when people bring it up in a negative light, but then keep talking about your "noble service."
That was something that dilbert latched on to, as dilbert does with anything he thinks can be used as a weapon.
https://i.imgur.com/iKOcbDU.png
See that green blob on the right of the yellow line? That is camouflage netting set up over a communication site. The building next to it on the other end of the yellow line is about 40 feet away, and is where the military liaison's we were supporting were located. In my story, we walked from the trucks under that camo net into the building and waited out the mortar attacks on September 12, 2004. My squad leader bitched me out because I forgot to transfer the phone when I moved inside and he couldn't reach me from the safety of his bunker where he was getting yelled at by the first sergeant for not doing his job. That's the story. Incidentally, the building in the top of the photo is the Prime Minister of Iraq's office. He had a $100,000,000 bounty on his head from al Quaeda, so we used to have mortars and RPG's drop on us almost daily. Had one fly about ten feet over my head one day and land in the field between my truck and his office. After EOD dug out the big stuff I went over and dug out a bunch of fragments and brought them home to freak out my mom. They're probably still in her basement somewhere.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

OK that puts it into more context (and perhaps to bed), but you are still the benefactor of a massive social program. And I still don't believe people should have to be a part of a force contaminating occupied lands with depleted uranium to be put through college.

Or that the military service, let alone that of a technician, should ever be used as a political convo bludgeon.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
And it was brought up in my response to larssen because like it or not, it is a form of public service and it is a sacrifice of time for the greater good. This is why middle aged people safe from the draft bring it up as a talking point every few years. "Kids these days need forced public service!" whether it's in the form of the draft or the peace corps, or whatever. Even Jon Stewart was beating that horse before he left the Daily Show. So yes, it was relevant because veterans tend to take pride in this public service. They feel they've volunteered to potentially give up their life for their country, and if nothing else, have sacrificed blood, sweat and tears. So for a veteran to say that his country is irredeemably shit, I would say that it has at least a little more weight than it would be coming from someone that has never volunteered.

And as for veterans not talking about their service. That is correct. Most don't talk about their service with non-veterans. Among veterans, lots of stories and camaraderie. I guarantee some of your grandfathers used to go down to the VFW hall and drink beers and swap war stories all the time. They just didn't share them with you.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

OK that puts it into more context (and perhaps to bed), but you are still the benefactor of a massive social program. And I still don't believe people should have to be a part of a force contaminating occupied lands with depleted uranium to be put through college.

Or that the military service, let alone that of a technician, should ever be used as a political convo bludgeon.
Let me know what public service you've done so that we can be on equal footing. Let me know how many years you gave up of your youth.
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3721
You know in many countries you don't need to give up your youth to go to college.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

You know in many countries you don't need to give up your youth to go to college.
No one forced me to join. I was attending college when I enlisted, and could've easily kept going. I rationalized enlisting by saying I didn't want student loan debt, but it had more to do with wanting to prove my manliness. I grew up idolizing my dad and my grandfathers that all served in the army.

I'll agree to free college as soon as they put limitations on it, instead of it being a freeforall of idiots going "for the experience" and wasting everyone's time and money. Oh wait, that's already in place in the form of scholarships.
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3721
Wow, a lot to unpack there. I will just say that you overestimate how much scholarship money there is vs how many kids deserve to go to college.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5544|Toronto
Couldn't you achieve the same selection process by just having a national exam with cutoff scores? Like the SAT?

I think the larger issue is that universities see themselves as growth industries where more enrollment means more funding.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Wow, a lot to unpack there. I will just say that you overestimate how much scholarship money there is vs how many kids deserve to go to college.
Too many people go to college as is. You keep bringing up stagnant wage growth, yeah? Compare and contrast it to the college graduation numbers. Tens of millions more people fighting for the same white collar jobs will tend to bring down wage growth. Why pay top dollar when you can hire five recent college graduates for pennies?
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Pochsy wrote:

Couldn't you achieve the same selection process by just having a national exam with cutoff scores? Like the SAT?

I think the larger issue is that universities see themselves as growth industries where more enrollment means more funding.
Some of our state university systems do that. If you graduate top of your high school class in Texas or Virginia you get automatically admitted with a scholarship to the University of Texas and the University of Virginia, respectively. Cuts down on brain drain, for one, and it has helped make them phenomenal universities.

Last edited by Jay (2020-06-16 17:12:57)

-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3721

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Too many people go to college as is. You keep bringing up stagnant wage growth, yeah? Compare and contrast it to the college graduation numbers. Tens of millions more people fighting for the same white collar jobs will tend to bring down wage growth. Why pay top dollar when you can hire five recent college graduates for pennies?
The minimum wage has no relationship with the number of college graduates.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

Jay wrote:

And it was brought up in my response to larssen because like it or not, it is a form of public service and it is a sacrifice of time for the greater good. This is why middle aged people safe from the draft bring it up as a talking point every few years. "Kids these days need forced public service!" whether it's in the form of the draft or the peace corps, or whatever. Even Jon Stewart was beating that horse before he left the Daily Show. So yes, it was relevant because veterans tend to take pride in this public service. They feel they've volunteered to potentially give up their life for their country, and if nothing else, have sacrificed blood, sweat and tears. So for a veteran to say that his country is irredeemably shit, I would say that it has at least a little more weight than it would be coming from someone that has never volunteered.

And as for veterans not talking about their service. That is correct. Most don't talk about their service with non-veterans. Among veterans, lots of stories and camaraderie. I guarantee some of your grandfathers used to go down to the VFW hall and drink beers and swap war stories all the time. They just didn't share them with you.
I have a video somewhere of one of my grandparent's parties. There was beer, cigarettes, laughing, and good times. No chatter about the glory days of the war. He'd didn't hang out at veterans' places. He worked and did church stuff, and spent time with his family when he could. I forgot to mention that this grandparent helmed the family effort to keep my father out of the military. He did talk about some of the safer stuff with me for the sake of a school assignment (astonishing my grandmother), but was never candid with the brutal aspect of the war (I was a child after all).

My other grandfather didn't really like being around people apart from short visits, I think. Mostly kept to himself on a small, rural property. Eventually wrote in sanitized detail to one of my younger cousins for the sake of one of their WW2 relative assignments.

Do you hang around your contemporary vets a lot, talking about mortars and RPGs? A couple of my veteran neighbors would rarely talk about Vietnam with each other even if beered up. Mostly they swapped recorded music and movies, or talked politics, gardening, home improvement, etc.

Why would you want to constantly relive mortars and RPGs flying 10 feet from your face if it was really as you say? Masochistic.

Jay wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Let me know what public service you've done so that we can be on equal footing. Let me know how many years you gave up of your youth.
How long were you sitting on that? I just got done pointing out how silly it was using military service as a casual convo bludgeon and here you are swinging it around like a baton. "How many years of your youth did you give up?" Why are you making that a thing? The most pointless, pitiable, gutter, dick measuring contest.

People living in areas of high radioactive contamination probably aren't appreciative of their cancers, birth defects, and child leukemia. A regrettable public service, don't you think?

I've gotten a lot of people past their learning blocks. I like to think that it made a lasting, positive impact on their lives. I didn't get college money for it, though. While going to high school and tech college, I devoted one of the precious remaining bits of my day interning (for free) at a local alternative high school, helping it get through its administrative backlog so that it could continue to function. I was kept too busy for things like after school activities or dances /fwp. But I moved on.

A far cry from camping out by the Iraqi palace with an Xbox or whatever, I know. No titles, no benefits, no ranks, no dividends, no pay. Instead I get some outlier "tough guy vet" years later telling me in so many words to "shut up if you didn't 'serve'" or whatever. "Newbie acknowledged that maybe I had more than one mortar land nearby! Time to press the advantage!"

Did you have to write an essay about why you joined while you were in boot camp? What's the synopsis on that.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Jay wrote:

I have a video somewhere of one of my grandparent's parties. There was beer, cigarettes, laughing, and good times. No chatter about the glory days of the war. He'd didn't hang out at veterans' places. He worked and did church stuff, and spent time with his family when he could. I forgot to mention that this grandparent helmed the family effort to keep my father out of the military. He did talk about some of the safer stuff with me for the sake of a school assignment (astonishing my grandmother), but was never candid with the brutal aspect of the war (I was a child after all).

My other grandfather didn't really like being around people apart from short visits, I think. Mostly kept to himself on a small, rural property. Eventually wrote in sanitized detail to one of my younger cousins for the sake of one of their WW2 relative assignments.

Do you hang around your contemporary vets a lot, talking about mortars and RPGs? A couple of my veteran neighbors would rarely talk about Vietnam with each other even if beered up. Mostly they swapped recorded music and movies, or talked politics, gardening, home improvement, etc.

Why would you want to constantly relive mortars and RPGs flying 10 feet from your face if it was really as you say? Masochistic.

Jay wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

How long were you sitting on that? I just got done pointing out how silly it was using military service as a casual convo bludgeon and here you are swinging it around like a baton. "How many years of your youth did you give up?" Why are you making that a thing? The most pointless, pitiable, gutter, dick measuring contest.

People living in areas of high radioactive contamination probably aren't appreciative of their cancers, birth defects, and child leukemia. A regrettable public service, don't you think?

I've gotten a lot of people past their learning blocks. I like to think that it made a lasting, positive impact on their lives. I didn't get college money for it, though. While going to high school and tech college, I devoted one of the precious remaining bits of my day interning (for free) at a local alternative high school, helping it get through its administrative backlog so that it could continue to function. I was kept too busy for things like after school activities or dances /fwp. But I moved on.

A far cry from camping out by the Iraqi palace with an Xbox or whatever, I know. No titles, no benefits, no ranks, no dividends, no pay. Instead I get some outlier "tough guy vet" years later telling me in so many words to "shut up if you didn't 'serve'" or whatever. "Newbie acknowledged that maybe I had more than one mortar land nearby! Time to press the advantage!"

Did you have to write an essay about why you joined while you were in boot camp? What's the synopsis on that.
No, I did not. Who would read such a thing? A drill sergeant? Please.

It's noble that you helped people. Most people don't.

And no, we don't sit around discussing what we did during our deployments. Sometimes, if it's funny, sure, but believe it or not, most of being deployed is incredibly boring and there's not much to say about it. It has more to do with having something in common with someone else, a shared experience, and probably a similar perspective on life. It is a brotherhood of sorts.
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

Maybe the boot camp essay is something more common to branches with recruits who generally know how to read and write.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
lol, maybe. I went to basic training with a bunch of high ASVAB score people that were literate. Maybe the navy or air force did some foofoo shit like that.
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

Did you score high? If so, didn't the Marines or Navy try to mooch you off the Army at MEPS?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Did you score high? If so, didn't the Marines or Navy try to mooch you off the Army at MEPS?
I got a 94 of 99
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

Larssen wrote:

Jay, what about supporting positive change? Or is it après moi le déluge? That's a very unhealthy amount of cynicism there. Are you sure you want your kids to grow up in the USA
You're asking the guy that volunteered to put his life at risk to defend his country
Oh god, this again  do I really have to find the post where you said you joined the army because you were aimless and depressed and wanted free college, and were confident there wouldn't be a war because there was a democrat in charge?

Stop it its tiring.

it is a form of public service and it is a sacrifice of time for the greater good
Please no more.

Let me know how many years you gave up of your youth.
Please god.

I rationalized enlisting by saying I didn't want student loan debt, but it had more to do with wanting to prove my manliness.
Is this four or five different stories we've heard now?

Wasn't it because your friends had gone away and you were lonely?

Whats the story going to be tomorrow? You read Colonel Kurz's autobiography and it changed your life?

Also IIRC the story was your officer ordered you to stay at your post and you told him to fuck off and ran.

That was something that dilbert latched on to, as dilbert does with anything he thinks can be used as a weapon.
I will if you keep trying to reinvent the past and yourself.

Did you know I only became an engineer so I could help make submarines and other military equipment?
Thats about four years of advanced calculus so people like you can sleep at night.

I'm not saying I wouldn't have done the exact same thing in your position, but you didn't do it out of altruism or some hero complex.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-06-17 03:53:17)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Larssen
+99|1889
I mean goddam if you wanted to prove your manliness most people sign up for a combat MO rather than network infrastructure.
uziq
+492|3453
jay is the master at self-invention. always lying to himself to embiggen and embolden himself in his gimlet cromulent eyes.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3721
Larssen wasn't here to witness the real combat veterans of bf2s reject Jay's service record.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Larssen wasn't here to witness the real combat veterans of bf2s reject Jay's service record.
You guys understand that I bring it up because it clearly strikes a nerve with the lot of you, right? It's something you can never really defend against because none of you ever lifted a finger on behalf of the greater good, even though you all talk about it ceaselessly, and are so very willing to spend other peoples hard earned money to assuage your own guilt.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3453
that's what i keep saying. all the people who actually did do soldier's work and have guns pointed at them ripped the piss out of jay relentlessly. now he keeps telling us that's just 'the way veterans are together' but we all know they didn't respect him diddly squat. now he's all arch-conservative, libertarian bootlicker talking about 'doing service' and 'sacrificing youth for my country'. fucking puh-leeeeeez.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3721

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

You guys understand that I bring it up because it clearly strikes a nerve with the lot of you, right? It's something you can never really defend against because none of you ever lifted a finger on behalf of the greater good, even though you all talk about it ceaselessly, and are so very willing to spend other peoples hard earned money to assuage your own guilt.
It's not really striking anyone's nerve. We are laughing at you.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard