Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5359|London, England

uziq wrote:

maybe if police forces spent as much on introductory judo training as they do on high-tech armaments and military hand-me-downs, the policing picture would look a little different in america. instead people get shot when their tail-lights are out. police are taught to 'dominate' a situation and be assertive, which, especially in the case of black people, quickly escalates the the situation and increases tension.

the guy was heavily inebriated. he was drunk, not on PCP. how formidable are dead drunk people in fights?
you just criticized the cops for losing control and now you're criticizing them for trying to dominate? Pick one.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX
You have no idea how drunk he was, have the toxicology reports come back?
He seemed pretty adept at hand-to-hand combat, grabbing tasers and sprinting for someone who was paralytic.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3453

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

my point is that violent convicted felon or no, that shouldn't have any bearing on whether or not the police can shoot him. we don't live in a society where sheriffs hunt down criminals and bag-n-tag them.

and i do happen to know that, with pretty rudimentary grappling training, you can learn to effectively take down pretty much anyone. there were two of them and they outsized the guy. it's not difficult to immobilize and detain someone, no. especially with two people on one.
You've clearly never been in a fight.
i've been in a fight and i've been arrested, which i think makes me infinitely more experienced than all of you who keep making senseless 'experience' jibes which have no bearing whatsoever on the discussion.

but sure, go ahead, keep employing wannabe clint eastwoods who think the gun is the ultimate arbiter of the law.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

OJ Simpson was suspected of murder and had that slow-speed chase. Did the police snipe him from a helicopter?

Dilbert_X wrote:

I'm sure you're a great expert on hand-to-hand combat. Have you tried it? I have. Its not like chess.

The point is he was a violent convicted felon, not your average dad who dozed off waiting for a burger.
He was running away. With a taser. The police decided to go all Judge Dredd. But sure, divert focus. Why is it every time police overreact to something and someone dies, people just try to tell you why you should want the dead man dead.

-

Jay, the Daniel Shaver execution didn't just disappear.

October 2019,

Mesa Cop Calls People 'Idiots' for Bringing Up Shaver Shooting on Facebook
https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/da … n-11374239

But some thin-skinned officers are more than ready to forget what happened. After another Facebook commenter chimed in, a Mesa cop used her personal account to call commenters "idiots" on the department's Facebook page.

Someone said the original commenter "seems to have a 100% problem with police" and that most cops aren't bad. That's when Karrie Flanigan, a 20-year veteran with the Mesa Police Department, published a comment saying that the second comment "just makes too much sense for some of these idiots that post and have nothing else to complain about."

The Mesa Police Department itself briefly "liked" Flanigan's comment calling people bringing up Shaver's shooting "idiots," but Flanigan's comment has since been deleted. A Twitter account dedicated to calling out instances of alleged police misconduct, Mesa Police Accountability, took a screenshot of the post.

Asked why the Mesa Police Department liked the post, Detective Nik Rasheta, a department spokesperson, told Phoenix New Times it was an accident.

"Basically, our social media is kinda overviewed by a few different individuals, including PIOs [Public Information Officers] and backup PIOs," Rasheta said. "All of us have a personal Facebook account linked so we can be an administrator" for the Mesa Police Department page. "We toggle back and forth between those. This particular PIO was scrolling through and liking things to make sure there was some interaction on the post. He saw Karrie's name, recognized her, and inadvertently clicked "like" when he saw just the good part at the end of the post." The PIO did later un-like the post, Rasheta said.

The shooting of Daniel Shaver brought national scrutiny to the Mesa Police Department: The Department of Justice is still investigating Shaver's death, and Shaver's family filed a $75 million lawsuit over Brailsford's actions.
Yes, the the article gets some of the details wrong (the sergeant was the one giving orders, not shooter Brailsford). I don't think this detracts from its point.

I've seen his name mentioned constantly since his death in discussions related to police brutality in the US. The video was powerful and difficult to watch.

#BLM Activists Call Attention To Graphic Video Of Daniel Shaver's Death At The Hands Of Arizona Police
https://blavity.com/blm-activists-call- … e-identity

Here's another man who was killed a year before:

Mesa Settles With Family of 2015 Police Shooting Victim for $1 Million
https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/me … o-10767156

The previously unreported payments conclude the legal aftermath of a police shooting that received significant local media attention. The settlements were made in a year when the Mesa Police Department has come under increased scrutiny for its use of force, leading to two federal investigations of three incidents.
uziq
+492|3453

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

maybe if police forces spent as much on introductory judo training as they do on high-tech armaments and military hand-me-downs, the policing picture would look a little different in america. instead people get shot when their tail-lights are out. police are taught to 'dominate' a situation and be assertive, which, especially in the case of black people, quickly escalates the the situation and increases tension.

the guy was heavily inebriated. he was drunk, not on PCP. how formidable are dead drunk people in fights?
you just criticized the cops for losing control and now you're criticizing them for trying to dominate? Pick one.
that post was in general. yes, being aggressive and trying to 'dominate' in a conscious behavioural sense can quickly get peoples backs up. i am thinking of all the videos of traffic stops in which the police are unnecessarily assertive and try to 'establish dominance' as if they're clearing a perimeter. unnecessary and makes situations heated.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
So when you were arrested did you try to take down the cops and grab their weapons?

Have you ever tried to subdue someone?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

OJ Simpson was suspected of murder and had that slow-speed chase. Did the police snipe him from a helicopter?

Dilbert_X wrote:

I'm sure you're a great expert on hand-to-hand combat. Have you tried it? I have. Its not like chess.

The point is he was a violent convicted felon, not your average dad who dozed off waiting for a burger.
He was running away. With a taser. The police decided to go all Judge Dredd. But sure, divert focus.

Jay, the Daniel Shaver execution didn't just disappear.

October 2019,

Mesa Cop Calls People 'Idiots' for Bringing Up Shaver Shooting on Facebook
https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/da … n-11374239

But some thin-skinned officers are more than ready to forget what happened. After another Facebook commenter chimed in, a Mesa cop used her personal account to call commenters "idiots" on the department's Facebook page.

Someone said the original commenter "seems to have a 100% problem with police" and that most cops aren't bad. That's when Karrie Flanigan, a 20-year veteran with the Mesa Police Department, published a comment saying that the second comment "just makes too much sense for some of these idiots that post and have nothing else to complain about."

The Mesa Police Department itself briefly "liked" Flanigan's comment calling people bringing up Shaver's shooting "idiots," but Flanigan's comment has since been deleted. A Twitter account dedicated to calling out instances of alleged police misconduct, Mesa Police Accountability, took a screenshot of the post.

Asked why the Mesa Police Department liked the post, Detective Nik Rasheta, a department spokesperson, told Phoenix New Times it was an accident.

"Basically, our social media is kinda overviewed by a few different individuals, including PIOs [Public Information Officers] and backup PIOs," Rasheta said. "All of us have a personal Facebook account linked so we can be an administrator" for the Mesa Police Department page. "We toggle back and forth between those. This particular PIO was scrolling through and liking things to make sure there was some interaction on the post. He saw Karrie's name, recognized her, and inadvertently clicked "like" when he saw just the good part at the end of the post." The PIO did later un-like the post, Rasheta said.

The shooting of Daniel Shaver brought national scrutiny to the Mesa Police Department: The Department of Justice is still investigating Shaver's death, and Shaver's family filed a $75 million lawsuit over Brailsford's actions.
Yes, the the article gets some of the details wrong (the sergeant was the one giving orders, not shooter Brailsford). I don't think this destracts from its point.

I've seen his name mentioned constantly since his death in discussions related to police brutality in the US. The video was powerful and difficult to watch.

#BLM Activists Call Attention To Graphic Video Of Daniel Shaver's Death At The Hands Of Arizona Police
https://blavity.com/blm-activists-call- … e-identity

Here's another man who was killed a year before:

Mesa Settles With Family of 2015 Police Shooting Victim for $1 Million
https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/me … o-10767156

The previously unreported payments conclude the legal aftermath of a police shooting that received significant local media attention. The settlements were made in a year when the Mesa Police Department has come under increased scrutiny for its use of force, leading to two federal investigations of three incidents.
I believe this is your own dead horse. This news got coverage for maybe 5 minutes
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3453

Dilbert_X wrote:

He seemed pretty adept at hand-to-hand combat, grabbing tasers and sprinting for someone who was paralytic.
the video clearly says that he was asleep and slurring his speech when they arrived. he was drunk.

the cop lost his job. good. let's move on. there will be another one tomorrow or next week we can pick over in minute detail.
uziq
+492|3453

Dilbert_X wrote:

So when you were arrested did you try to take down the cops and grab their weapons?

Have you ever tried to subdue someone?
are we really going to go around and around over the issue that two police officers with guns and tasers couldn't do anything about 1 drunken guy other than shoot him in the back?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

the video clearly says that he was asleep and slurring his speech when they arrived. he was drunk.
But in the video he was able to take down two cops, grab and operate their weapons and sprint - hardly the behaviour of your average drunk.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Statistically, 1 per day. We're behind
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

Jay, the video that was linked is nearly five minutes on its own. There have been articles and discussions since 2016.

But sure, it only got "five minutes of press time."

Everyone go home. Racism has canceled itself out.
uziq
+492|3453

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

But in the video he was able to take down two cops, grab and operate their weapons and sprint - hardly the behaviour of your average drunk.
he started off with his hands behind his back and they fucked it up from there. stop acting like he was possessed of some super-human vigour.

i would politely suggest that if you're physically inept and not good at grappling, then you don't become a police. you certainly shouldn't be entrusted with a lethal weapon when you aren't good at basic physical self-defense. people end up dead because of your panic or incompetence.

as i said above, a better investment would be to divert some of those immense funds into training physically capable police officers, rather than over-armed clint eastwoods.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Why should they have to uzi? Why does every idiot resist arrest and make things worse?
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3453
sorry, jay, but the police should be held to higher standards of behaviour than Joe Bloggs. that's how it works. it's part of the compact between society and the police, and why we entrust them with the ability to use (otherwise unlawful) force on people, and to have tasers and weapons. that's entirely the point. they must use it responsibly and be held to a high standard.

you'd feel very differently about this if it was one of your relatives who got senselessly murdered by a trigger-happy cop. you'd be asking 'why weren't they properly physically trained?'.

it's not a streetfight.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Those officers weren't small or weedy. Whats the solution, only people bigger than the biggest potential suspect can join the police?
Resisting a lawful arrest is rightfully a serious crime, officers are just doing a job, they shouldn't have to physically fight for their lives day in day out.

Anyone want to take a bet on what comes out of the toxicology?

In future when a black is reported they'll either have to send 20 officers or no-one.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

'why weren't they properly physically trained?'
Why did the dumbass attack them?
uziq
+492|3453
resisting lawful arrest is not a serious crime deserving of death.

why is it one day you're railing against police who 'don't do their job; it's for the courts to decide and for the police to bring them in' and the next you're defending the police to the hilt, 'he resisted arrest, too bad he's dead'.

oh wait, a black person is involved and it is an inflamed political situation. i see.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

So here we are. Thread can now be about how much each new person "deserved" to die (nevermind likely sentencing they'd otherwise get). Not how much the police need different tools and skills.

https://i.imgur.com/kmrdi7N.png
Larssen
+99|1889
The principal problem with US police lies in the focus on domination rather than deescalation. Battlefield dominance is a military objective, not the modus operandi for establishing security in a civilian society. You don't relentlessly shout at and shoot people. Take a cue from policing in northern europe and scandinavia please.
uziq
+492|3453

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

So here we are. Thread can now be about how much each new person "deserved" to die (nevermind likely sentencing they'd otherwise get). Not how much the police need different tools and skills.

dilbert has the most impoverished spirit of any human being i have ever encountered. there is such a paucity of his imagination and human sympathy.

he is outraged at the police as an institution when he recalls his own family’s mistreatment. full of lists of police over-action, abuse of power, official negligence and cover up. he states that the police need to be started over with, stop being paramilitary, etc.

next week a black guy ends up dead and one fast food franchise gets burned down. he is a law and order man. what do you expect, punk?

he has all the answers from his obviously superlative and vast store of experiences. and they all confirm ... dilbert as right! incredible.

a race war is coming etc etc

Last edited by uziq (2020-06-16 07:27:29)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

photo album of bleeding bystanders wounded by police for absolutely no good reason.jpg
grisly statistics of people killed by law enforcement due to fear anger or wrong addresses.png

"You guys don't understand how hard of a job being a cop is. Our badges our shiny. What, you think you know how to fight? Come wrestle my friend."
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

uziq wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

dilbert has the most impoverished spirit of any human being i have ever encountered. there is such an impoverishment of his imagination and human sympathy.

he is outraged at the police as an institution when he recalls his own family’s mistreatment. full of lists of police over-action, abuse of power, official negligence and cover up. he states that the police need to be started over with, stop being paramilitary, etc.

next week a black guy ends up dead and one fast food franchise gets burned down. he is a law and order man. what do you expect, punk?

he has all the answers from his obviously superlative and vast store of experiences. and they all confirm ... dilbert as right! incredible.

a race war is coming etc etc
Reading his posts on this thread is such a roller coaster of ups and downs. Meanwhile in the gay thread he mockingly writes "has 'is it because I is black?' become 'is it because I is gay?'"

It speaks for itself, really.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

Those officers weren't small or weedy. Whats the solution, only people bigger than the biggest potential suspect can join the police?
Resisting a lawful arrest is rightfully a serious crime, officers are just doing a job, they shouldn't have to physically fight for their lives day in day out.

Anyone want to take a bet on what comes out of the toxicology?

In future when a black is reported they'll either have to send 20 officers or no-one.
Women are clearly out. Shouldn't be cops. Same with anyone with any sort of disability. Why have police at all? Just hire club bouncers.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Larssen wrote:

The principal problem with US police lies in the focus on domination rather than deescalation. Battlefield dominance is a military objective, not the modus operandi for establishing security in a civilian society. You don't relentlessly shout at and shoot people. Take a cue from policing in northern europe and scandinavia please.
Ok. Please feel free to put people in timeout until they've calmed down and put the handcuffs on themselves. Maybe you can lecture them about why they've been a bad boy and how it's not really their fault.

Last edited by Jay (2020-06-16 07:33:35)

-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard