Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5171|Sydney
There are a lot of people racist against a few hundred people arriving by boat each year. It's actually one of the platforms the conservative political party ran the previous election and the is again running the same line for the upcoming election in September. It would be nice if Australians got some perspective, but unfortunately many of my countrymen and women are a dense lot.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS

Cybargs wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Now compare that to Australia where you Asians are considered by many to be an immigrant menace.
Yeah like the 5% of population of queensland considers asians a menace.
i submit to you the federal seat of lindsay.

tbf a lot has changed in the last twenty years. but there is still a fairly strong undercurrent of xenophobia in heavily working-class areas of the country, as shown by the fact that this is a thing.

Last edited by Spark (2013-03-26 21:12:24)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6709

Spark wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Now compare that to Australia where you Asians are considered by many to be an immigrant menace.

tbf a lot has changed in the last twenty years. but there is still a fairly strong undercurrent of xenophobia in heavily working-class areas of the country, as shown by the fact that this is a thing.
The retarded thing is most people on 457 visa are white lol. It's just to drum up nationalism in the working class by "supporting aussie jobs." Funny thing is her media director is on a 457 visa lol
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Spark
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS

Cybargs wrote:

Spark wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

The retarded thing is most people on 457 visa are white lol. It's just to drum up nationalism in the working class by "supporting aussie jobs." Funny thing is her media director is on a 457 visa lol
Which is kinda my point.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Roc18
`
+655|5783|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY
From reading EE chats and this thread I'm convinced bf2s is obsessed with black people. Is it because of our big penises?
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

People just don't like you and it is low hanging fruit.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6677|United States of America
You can't have stereotypes both ways, Roc. Accept or reject them all.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5171|Sydney
It's ironic that Roc believes there's some obsession about black people in a thread about races when he's obsessed with homosexuality and autism.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX

Jaekus wrote:

I guess he believes that the reason why apparently black kids will do better at sport is because they have "black muscles", not because their musculature and cardiovascular systems are physically different. Comparing intelligence to sporting performance is just dumb.
Why exactly?

No-one disputes different races (or call them phenotypes if you prefer) are inherently better or worse at different sports due exclusively to differences in physiology, whereas not so long ago it was assumed everyone was equal and it was willpower to train and gentlemanly sportsmanship.

If you accept that innate intelligence (after factoring out upbringing, education etc.) has been influenced by evolution - and its a reasonable assumption since if it weren't we'd still be banging rocks together - then its entirely logical that different races separated for tens of thousands of years are going to have differently developed 'intelligence' and other behaviours.

If physiology can change radically over a period why is it such a stretch to say innate intelligence and behaviour will have done so also?

Saying every single phenotype, including intelligence, is affected by evolution, but intelligence suddenly stopped changing the moment homo sapiens left africa and went in different directions while many other phenotypes changed more than ever, is the real stretch here.

We have no idea of which genetic factors predict intelligence - at this point - its probably a multitude in combination. Even something apparently 'obvious' like brain size or distribution doesn't apparently have the slightest correlation - although its accepted unblinkingly when we slice up the skulls of our ancestors.

And the puerile argument that geniuses aren't guaranteed every one of their kids will be a Nobel prize winner so therefore everyone is exactly the same is just that.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Spark
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS
Because the environment has far more of an effect on intelligence than genetics, population-wise.

Christ this is poor.
~ Richard Feynman
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4247

Macbeth wrote:

Had way more relaxed attitudes towards natives and freed slaves in totality. British and Americans did everything they could to separate themselves from native people and others. The Spanish and Portuguese actually mixed in and built new societies with them. It is why race relations are as close to humanely perfect as possible in Latin, and Portuguese America as opposed to apartheid South Africa, recently desegregated U.S., and Australia.
lol. yeah race relations in south america are near perfect. LOL. you missed the whole hugo chavez thing, then? or 100 years of literature and latin modernism exploring the severe class/race conflicts between the indigenous and the implanted euro-bourgeoisie elite?

LOL. please. go read another textbook. your knowledge is pitiful.

and it is very easy to view the race-mixing and cultural hijacking in places like brazil as a cynical strategy to attain the same level of control as the british/american systems. it's completely disingenuous and false to make out the spanish/portugese were more 'compassionate'. the portugese (and belgians) were renowned for some of the most brutal colonies of all. they were frequently lambasted in other nation's press for their ways.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-03-27 05:03:06)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Environment drives genetic evolution by selecting for phenotype.

Come on, this is super-simple stuff.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4247

Dilbert_X wrote:

right now forge a conclusive link between that and intelligence.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4247

Dilbert_X wrote:

did you miss the part where blacks in america have seen their IQ score results leap in the last 2-3 decades? what's that then, if the black has been intellectually cut off from us by tens of thousands of years of 'environmentally driven genetic evolution'? are they evolving?!?!?!??!?! in front of our very eyes?!?!? OMG
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Because 'IQ tests' measure a mixture of innate 'intelligence' and learned skills. I thought everyone knew that.

Why aren't we still living in trees and barking at the moon?

Honestly, its not hard.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4247

Cybargs wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Don't be racist cybargs.
first it was the brits hating other europeans, then it was the other europeans + brits hating on wogs (greek), then wogs, euro's and brits were hating on asians, then everyone started hating on lebo's, then everyone including lebos start hating on boat people. it's just an integrated cycle of lolracism.
i have no idea what the fuck this is

i have never ever heard a greek person referred to as a "wog". lol hahahahah

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-03-27 05:19:43)

Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4247

Dilbert_X wrote:

Because 'IQ tests' measure a mixture of innate 'intelligence' and learned skills. I thought everyone knew that.

Why aren't we still living in trees and barking at the moon?

Honestly, its not hard.
but 2 pages ago your whole argument was that some races had proven higher IQ's than others? now it's been shown a black person, in the same western environment, can match a western person's IQ in the space of a generation... now IQ isn't reliable?

sounds like you're on solid scientific ground with your beliefs here.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
now it's been shown a black person, in the same western environment, can match a western person's IQ in the space of a generation
Where has this been proven? Throughout I've not claimed IQ is a good measure or the sole measure, behaviour - much of which is innate - is also important, as I've said repeatedly.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4247
Another piece of evidence concerning widespread environmental influences on IQ is that the mean difference between black Americans’ and white Americans’ test scores has narrowed since the 1970s. Using data from several different IQ tests that were administered in a standard manner to black and non-Hispanic white people, Dickens and Flynn showed that blacks have narrowed the IQ gap by one third to one half of what it was in the 1970s. 58 If IQ were a fixed, intrinsic quality of races, then the IQ gap should be stable over time, but it is not
Spark
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS

Dilbert_X wrote:

except no because the brain adapts after birth. take the same genetic population, separate them at birth, place one set in (say) norway and the other in chad, i guarantee you'll get very different "intelligence" results.
~ Richard Feynman
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4247
dilbert clearly subscribes to a rather outmoded form of biological determinism which affects all human agency and cognitive ability.
Spark
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS
not only that, it holds to the fairly ancient - in neuroscience terms - concept that the brain is physiologically fixed, that it can't rewire itself according to the environment.
~ Richard Feynman
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4247
sorry son, you were born with black skin, your paltry little brain is forever going to be leaping to rash acts of violence, craving drugs, and thinking irrational thoughts about raping white women. oh, and did we forget to mention? you'll never be able to take on as much knowledge or critical skill as a white person.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Like I said, its well accepted IQ tests don't really measure intrinsic intelligence, education has a large impact

From the article you quoted
"Alfred Binet, the developer of the first intelligence test in the early 20th century, rejected the notion that his test measured a person's inborn or fixed cognitive ability.  He also declined to use his test to rank individuals according to cognitive ability.  The purpose for which he devised the test, and the only purpose for which he thought it appropriate, was to measure the intellectual capacity of children who were performing poorly in school"

Its a fairly confused article, it states IQ tests are not really a measure of innate ability, that distinct races don't really exist, but goes on to say that changing IQ scores are proof that intelligence is not a function of genetics, and then says it probably is but can't be linked specifically to distinct races.

Pilar Ossorio, PhD, is Associate Professor of Law and Bioethics
Seems a strange subject to be writing on for someone interested in Law and Bioethics, looks like someone with an agenda trying to cobble together some pseudo-science and big words to prove a predetermined result.

"The binary formulation of "genes vs. environment" is misleading. Cognitive abilities are complex and will likely be influenced by a myriad of environmental factors and genes. Given the complexity of brains and cognition, one ought not expect that a few genes will play a dominant role in shaping the normal range of human cognitive abilities; numerous genes will be involved. It is statistically implausible that variants of numerous genes relating to intelligence would be distributed among racial groups in a manner that systematically conferred cognitive advantage on one group or disadvantage on another. Furthermore, there is no evidence to support the claim that current racial differences in mean IQ scores are caused by racially distinctive patterns of genetic variation."

"Doesn't seem plausible" - Thats real hard science right there

Try harder next time.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Spark wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

except no because the brain adapts after birth. take the same genetic population, separate them at birth, place one set in (say) norway and the other in chad, i guarantee you'll get very different "intelligence" results.
Of course, however take two genetically distinct populations, raise them exactly the same and I also guarantee you you'll get very different results when you measure pretty well any phenotypical variable.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard