Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

australia has like 3 unis that are worth shit at humanities. humanities is just as difficult. let's not even go there again
ANU, U Sydney and U Melbourne?
mostly only the latter two. ANU is pretty much like the UCL of australia. really big and automatically ranked high for all research. haha.
except it's the easiest top tier uni to get into because no one wants to live in canberra.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4255
that reasoning would almost make sense if it wasn't for the fact that oxford and cambridge are both dull tiny towns
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

that reasoning would almost make sense if it wasn't for the fact that oxford and cambridge are both dull tiny towns
I'm actually not kidding. the marks required to get into ANU is about 5-10 points lower (depending on program) compared to UNSW and U Syd. Brisbane kids mostly go to UQ and QUT, Sydney siders got UNSW, U Syd, Macquarie and UTS, melbourne's got U Melb and Monash. People won't move just to study and ANU's reputation in Australia is the same amongst other G8 Uni's.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4255
strange culture. people almost always move here, normally completely regardless of the town's repute/fun-factor. most of our best unis are in the middle of buttfuck nowhere. but ya, outside of australia you only ever hear about 3-4 of your institutions. doubt it matters though... it's the same as the asian domestic rankings. even if most asian unis don't rate outside of asia/on a worldwide scale, it's not like most of the attendants are ever going to look for work outside of their home country anyway. the top unis in korea and taiwan are super competitive but don't mean shit outside of them. /shrug
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717
I would have never have gotten to the top uni in Taiwan... but my Uni in Aus is ranked higher and get paid better too, which is hilarious imo. The thing with Aussie uni's is that most people don't move for uni since dorms are pretty expensive (1000AUD+ a month) and why spend the money on accommodation when you can live with mum and dad? Rarely does anyone in sydney move to melbourne for uni and vice versa.

Why compete for a super competitive spot in asia when it's much easier to go overseas and you get a higher paycheck when you come back? You get probably double the salary if you went to an overseas uni compared to the local one.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4255
in academia there is a widely acknowledged critique of the australian uni system. it is generally accepted that it gets hyper-inflated worldwide rankings and research assessment, merely because of political and anglo-bias reasons. european classical unis are way better than aussie ones, but most don't get ranked as high anymore, because post-ww2 the worldwide rankings have all been anglo-american centric. most canadian and aussie unis get a free-ride because of this. a huge number of middling american state colleges w/ large budgets and research funds ride on this new evaluative method, too. the more you know.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-04-18 12:06:27)

Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5587

To get this back to something interesting
A southern New Jersey woman of Korean descent is suing CVS Pharmacy, claiming a worker used an Asian slur to identify her on a receipt for photographs.

Attorney Susan Chana Lask said Hyun Lee used her own name when ordering pictures online, but noticed her name was listed as “Ching Chong Lee” on the receipt when she picked up the photos on Feb. 7 at a CVS in Egg Harbor City.

“‘Ching Chong’ is a very pejorative, racial slur meant for Asians. That is not her name,” Lask told 1010 WINS. “She was very distressed.”

Lee said she complained to CVS customer relations and was told the worker would be “counseled and trained.”

“There’s no amount, in my opinion, of training from CVS or any company that’s going to stop this kind of hate and bullying against someone’s race,” Lask said. “To me, this is something that deserves psychological counseling, not CVS counseling.”

She didn’t get a proper response from CVS. She is suing under the federal and state discrimination law,” Lask told WCBS 880′s Peter Haskell.
Should she learn to be less politically correct or are her complaints valid?
13/f/taiwan
+940|5700
she is in the right.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4255
her complaints are valid. it's like someone booking a black person into a hotel as 'uncle tom'.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-04-18 17:43:49)

RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6738|Oxferd Ohire
its happened before

but suck it up asians
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

she's in the right, but is it really worth suing over?
13/f/taiwan
+940|5700
yes.

the "i'm sorry (for getting caught)" line should not cut it. there is damage involved, possibly irreversible, and the employee/er should be responsible for relieving it. the punishment might stop him and other employees from being outright racist.  people lives become ruined because of racism. fuck them. they get no sympathy here.

Last edited by 13/f/taiwan (2013-04-18 18:45:02)

Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5966|London, England

13/f/taiwan wrote:

yes.
no. the answer is no
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Nyte
Legendary BF2S Veteran
+535|6753|Toronto, ON

13/f/taiwan wrote:

she is in the right.
is she really tight
Alpha as fuck.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

13/f/taiwan wrote:

yes.

the "i'm sorry (for getting caught)" line should not cut it. there is damage involved, possibly irreversible, and the employee/er should be responsible for relieving it. the punishment might stop him and other employees from being outright racist.  people lives become ruined because of racism. fuck them. they get no sympathy here.
the 'im sorry' line doesn't cut it.  Damage involved? Possibly irreversable?  From being called ching chong?

Racism is bad, I agree.  It's pure ignorance.  But suing for psychological damages?  C'mon dude.
Nyte
Legendary BF2S Veteran
+535|6753|Toronto, ON

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

13/f/taiwan wrote:

yes.

the 'im sorry' line doesn't cut it.  Damage involved? Possibly irreversable?  From being called ching chong?

Racism is bad, I agree.  It's pure ignorance.  But suing for psychological damages?  C'mon dude.
You think that's bad, try calling black people (dare I say it...), a nigger.  You'd get fucking shot.  At least Asians have a bit of restraint there.
Alpha as fuck.
13/f/taiwan
+940|5700
my point is that you don't know what she has been through. so you shouldn't criticize her for suing.
Nyte
Legendary BF2S Veteran
+535|6753|Toronto, ON

13/f/taiwan wrote:

my point is that you don't know what she has been through. so you shouldn't criticize her for suing.
What if it was a guy instead of a girl.  Let's see if sexism comes into play here.
Alpha as fuck.
13/f/taiwan
+940|5700

Nyte wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

13/f/taiwan wrote:

yes.

You think that's bad, try calling black people (dare I say it...), a nigger.  You'd get fucking shot.  At least Asians have a bit of restraint there.
i can tell just by this line that you have never been around black people.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4255
i can't imagine a black person wanting to sue someone for being called the n-word, that is true. asians sure are restrained. or just greedy. fucking yellow jews.
Nyte
Legendary BF2S Veteran
+535|6753|Toronto, ON

13/f/taiwan wrote:

Nyte wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I grew up around black people.  When I was a kid they didn't care.  When I grew up (and so did they), I sometimes would slip it and they would actually get mad and tell me to stop.  Sometimes if I was tipsy and was being loudmouthed about it, they would punch me on my arm.

Amongst my Asian compadres, I've called them chigga, ching chong, gookface, and jackie chan and they didn't give a shit.
Alpha as fuck.
13/f/taiwan
+940|5700
i would sue for the record.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6691|Tampa Bay Florida

eleven bravo wrote:

a little speck of dirt on my screen made it look like this threads name was "Pace relations thread"
Real world facts about racism

wikipedia wrote:

Biologists John Tooby and Leda Cosmides were puzzled by the fact that race is one of the three characteristics most often used in brief descriptions of individuals (the others are age and sex). They reasoned that natural selection would not have favoured the evolution of an instinct for using race as a classification, because for most of human history, humans almost never encountered members of other races. Tooby and Cosmides hypothesized that modern people use race as a proxy (rough-and-ready indicator) for coalition membership, since a better-than-random guess about "which side" another person is on will be helpful if one does not actually know in advance.

Their colleague Robert Kurzban designed an experiment whose results appeared to support this hypothesis. Using the Memory confusion protocol, they presented subjects with pictures of individuals and sentences, allegedly spoken by these individuals, which presented two sides of a debate. The errors that the subjects made in recalling who said what indicated that they sometimes misattributed a statement to a speaker of the same race as the "correct" speaker, although they also sometimes misattributed a statement to a speaker "on the same side" as the "correct" speaker. In a second run of the experiment, the team also distinguished the "sides" in the debate by clothing of similar colors; and in this case the effect of racial similarity in causing mistakes almost vanished, being replaced by the color of their clothing. In other words, the first group of subjects, with no clues from clothing, used race as a visual guide to guessing who was on which side of the debate; the second group of subjects used the clothing color as their main visual clue, and the effect of race became very small.

Some research suggests that ethnocentric thinking may have actually contributed to the development of cooperation. Political scientists Ross Hammond and Robert Axelrod created a computer simulation wherein virtual individuals were randomly assigned one of a variety of skin colors, and then one of a variety of trading strategies: be color-blind, favor those of your own color, or favor those of other colors. They found that the ethnocentric individuals clustered together, then grew until all the non-ethnocentric individuals were wiped out.

In The Selfish Gene, evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins writes that "Blood-feuds and inter-clan warfare are easily interpretable in terms of Hamilton's genetic theory." Dawkins writes that racial prejudice, while not evolutionarily adaptive, "could be interpreted as an irrational generalization of a kin-selected tendency to identify with individuals physically resembling oneself, and to be nasty to individuals different in appearance".[80] Simulation-based experiments in evolutionary game theory have attempted to provide an explanation for the selection of ethnocentric-strategy phenotypes.

Last edited by Spearhead (2013-04-18 18:59:47)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

Nyte wrote:

13/f/taiwan wrote:

Nyte wrote:

I grew up around black people.  When I was a kid they didn't care.  When I grew up (and so did they), I sometimes would slip it and they would actually get mad and tell me to stop.  Sometimes if I was tipsy and was being loudmouthed about it, they would punch me on my arm.

Amongst my Asian compadres, I've called them chigga, ching chong, gookface, and jackie chan and they didn't give a shit.
so you didn't get shot but for some reason I would? OK.

@taiwan: yeah, she could have been traumatized in the past, sure.  It still comes across as fucking greedy.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4255
they didn't give a shit because you ARE asian, not because asians are more chill about racial abuse. lol jesus christ you are stupid. i can call my white friends wigger and it's funny, precisely because it's harmless and absurd; i am white, i cannot possess white hatred. i cannot believe this has to be explained to you.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard