Announcement

Join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/nf43FxS
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,890|5697|USA

Right-wingers when BLM demonstrates: "ANIMALS!"
Right-wingers when Trumpers raid federal buildings: "well to be fair, you can only push people so far. The Democrats better watch their step!"

Good compilation vid. Probably didn't need the music at the end though, that was powerful enough.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+452|2645
"Officer damages private property while executing a search warrant"
https://old.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout … executing/
Literal pig man. I mean look at the size of his head.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+452|2645
So you remember that 17 year old girl that was stabbing the other girl and cops shot her? Some thoughts regarding that:

Here is the video for a refresher.

I don't think the cop did anything wrong or should be punished (actually my view on that is a little more complex). But I don't like people saying it was a "good shooting". No matter how much she may have deserved to get shot at that moment, there is nothing good about a 17 year old getting shot to death in front her loved ones. Like the 13 year old that got killed, I would bet $1000 that the kid was not going to go on to be the most productive member of society but plenty of people are non-productive and don't deserve to get crumbled in front of their loved ones. JuStIfiEd or not, the shooting was a traumatic event for the loved ones, the cop, and the community. Conservatives shouldn't be so sanguine about how justified this shooting was.

I mentioned what I think should be done about the cop is a little bit more complex than 'HE DID NOTHING WRONG'. I don't think the guy should go to jail or something for what happened. I don't know what goes on in his head so I am not going to be like the pro-cop bootlickers and say 'he is hurting too'. He could be a pig man for all we know. I think it is obvious that he shouldn't be employed in the area any longer. Let him get an early pension or transfer to another city but the community doesn't want him there anymore. Knowing his is still employed in the local security forces is destabilizing to the community in and of itself.

The black community has a lot of issues yadda yadda. You would have to pay me a significant premium to live and work around that community. But taxpayers should have the deciding say in the makeup of the local government and security forces that they fund. It is a fundamental organizational error that American police forces operate with impunity in many communities that don't want them there. The accusations of 'occupation force' are pretty spot on. Minority communities should be given the resources to reform their local law enforcement even if White Flight 2.0 is the result. If black communities are willing to elect the ghost of Reinhard Heydrich to local police chief 15 years down the line to restore their burnt out ghettos after BLM inspired reforms then that will be a 'them problem'. But they should at least be given the chance to try.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,730|5031|eXtreme to the maX
If there were an example of a black-dominated community which weren't an Escape from New York style gangster paradise then fine.

Meanwhile I don't see much alternative to sending police in to police them, not that I really like the police in general.
#FreeBritney
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,890|5697|USA

uziq
Member
+395|2377
the list of examples of affluent middle-class black neighbourhoods being razed to the ground by race riots is depressingly long.

dilbert's argument is, as always, completely fatuous. it's like saying 'well, if blacks are so smart, why aren't there more african american professors and intellectuals?' as if hiring practices and institutional racism haven't foreclosed those opportunities long ago. even cornel west has had to schlep it back from harvard, after decades of employment, to teach at an african american theological school. (i don't care for his work, don't @ me).

Last edited by uziq (2021-05-05 23:31:10)

unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,890|5697|USA

Courts making sure Chauvin can never happen again:

Recording a cop in Florida? One woman got arrested for it.
https://www.tampabay.com/news/2021/05/0 … -arrested/
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+452|2645
Yes, America in the past made keeping down black and brown people explicit government policy. I have seen and myself overcome American institutional racism.

That said, in defense of Dilbert there has never been any great historically significant black empires or civilizations. China, the Arabs, and even the Aztecs built up impressive civilizations and accomplishments. Not really much there when it comes to black Africa.

Uzique wrote:

You play too many strategy games. Your brain is addled. Life isn't about war and killing.
Agreed on all three counts. But even if the measure of humanity's worth isn't conquest and subjugation of lesser people...still what excuse does black Africa for never doing any of that to their neighbors and having nice old buildings to show for it?

Yeah I think Black Lives Matter should probably put the Africa flags away and instead make their own version of the American flags like the cops have.

No
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/70/2f/61/702f6182214abdde450a717fe99a6bac.jpg
Yes, reminds me of Christmas.
https://i.redd.it/4o7tia7ml3651.jpg
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,710|5662|Oxferd Ohire
looks awful
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,907|5557|949

Weird that Mac has some weird fetish for euro history but completely dismisses African history under the guise of "they didn't have historically significant empires".

Do you know where Egypt is? Ever heard of Shaka Zulu? The Mali Empire? Kingdom of Benin? It's a bit surprising that in all your European history books you've never come across their descriptions of African kingdoms. You've really never read how Europeans who visited Africa tended to portray those civilizations as having been influenced by Greeks and Romans because how else would they be so advanced?

You're smarter than that, Mac.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,730|5031|eXtreme to the maX
None of them produced anything significant or lasting.

The only arguable part - Egypt - isn't really part of black Africa.
#FreeBritney
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,907|5557|949

Interesting way to describe the destruction, corruption, and looting of Africa by European colonial powers.

TheY diDnT pRoDuCe AnYThiNg lAsTinG!

Or if they did, it doesn't count because they aren't from REAAL AFRICA.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+452|2645

RTHKI wrote:

looks awful
Looks festive. Why do you hate Christmas?
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,890|5697|USA

I can only assume mac's trolling here, and doing a rather good job of getting a response from us. Someone living in the US of all places probably shouldn't be accusing a continent that had several kingdoms lasting for hundreds of years of "never building anything permanent."

"Lasting" is rather subjective, isn't it? Influential kingdoms, dynasties, and whole civilizations came and went outside of Europe for ages. How much culture and history of trade has Europe itself lost over time?

See also, the drawn out decline of records at the Library of Alexandria. We can only guess what content was lost in the area between Julius Caesar's accidental fire and actions precipitated by Pope Theophilus and the Christian emperor Theodosius I.

Maybe Paradox could make a game about ancient empires and string out $800 of DLC for the next ten years.

e: that flag isn't easy on the eyes at all. the proximity and amount of green and red here compete for foreground (they are close on the visible spectrum), make each other appear brighter, and generally make war on your vision. bad design choices, try again with a color wheel...

RTHKI wrote:

looks awful
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+452|2645

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Weird that Mac has some weird fetish for euro history but completely dismisses African history under the guise of "they didn't have historically significant empires".

Do you know where Egypt is? Ever heard of Shaka Zulu? The Mali Empire? Kingdom of Benin? It's a bit surprising that in all your European history books you've never come across their descriptions of African kingdoms. You've really never read how Europeans who visited Africa tended to portray those civilizations as having been influenced by Greeks and Romans because how else would they be so advanced?

You're smarter than that, Mac.
Ancient Egypt is not black Africa. No one considers them white either. They are considered outside the racial paradigms we are familiar with.

Did you ever hear of the explorer Ibn Battuta? He travled the known world during the time of those kingdoms newbie references.
https://cdn.britannica.com/73/163973-050-5E38FBFF/voyages-Ibn-Battutah.jpg
I learned about him when I read one of his books on his travels to Africa at the end of his life. It was required reading in my ancient Africa class.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41pvo2ysvlL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
This dude traveled the entire world and then ended up in Africa and said he did not recommend it.
He set out again with a caravan in February 1352 and after 25 days arrived at the dry salt lake bed of Taghaza with its salt mines. All of the local buildings were made from slabs of salt by the slaves of the Masufa tribe, who cut the salt in thick slabs for transport by camel. Taghaza was a commercial centre and awash with Malian gold, though Ibn Battuta did not form a favourable impression of the place, recording that it was plagued by flies and the water was brackish.
But name dropping explorers and European fetishist and their thoughts is as dumb as name dropping kingdoms in Africa that you know very little about besides the fact someone called it an Empire at some point.

Look, you can advocate for the wellbeing of black people in wherever and still not take part in historical abuse by pretending Africa was on its way to Wakanda before white people showed up. I actually looked up African pyramids and the only ones significant ones outside of Egypt I could find were actually a country over from Egypt and can fit in my backyard.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e6/NubianMeroePyramids30sep2005%282%29.jpg
Even the people eaters of Mexico built better stuff before Europeans arrived. And I am sure Dilbert wouldn't want Brazilians visiting either right now.
https://www.oyster.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/35/2019/06/27692-chicen-itza-mexico.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,730|5031|eXtreme to the maX

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Interesting way to describe the destruction, corruption, and looting of Africa by European colonial powers.

TheY diDnT pRoDuCe AnYThiNg lAsTinG!

Or if they did, it doesn't count because they aren't from REAAL AFRICA.
Nothing at all related to what I said.

Between them did they put up a single stone building or road, not a single megastructure?

Did Europeans steal the great wall of africa? Nairobihenge? The hanging gardens of Zimbabwe?

I'm not sure what it is but they seem unable to work together to create something bigger than the individual or create for the future.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2021-05-06 17:56:38)

#FreeBritney
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,890|5697|USA

Aren't the Aztecs relatively recent? If we want to count old pre-Columbian stuff, we shouldn't forget about Norte Chico. Interesting findings at Caral-Supe.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,907|5557|949

SuperJail Warden wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Weird that Mac has some weird fetish for euro history but completely dismisses African history under the guise of "they didn't have historically significant empires".

Do you know where Egypt is? Ever heard of Shaka Zulu? The Mali Empire? Kingdom of Benin? It's a bit surprising that in all your European history books you've never come across their descriptions of African kingdoms. You've really never read how Europeans who visited Africa tended to portray those civilizations as having been influenced by Greeks and Romans because how else would they be so advanced?

You're smarter than that, Mac.
Ancient Egypt is not black Africa. No one considers them white either. They are considered outside the racial paradigms we are familiar with.

Did you ever hear of the explorer Ibn Battuta? He travled the known world during the time of those kingdoms newbie references.
https://cdn.britannica.com/73/163973-050-5E38FBFF/voyages-Ibn-Battutah.jpg
I learned about him when I read one of his books on his travels to Africa at the end of his life. It was required reading in my ancient Africa class.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41pvo2ysvlL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
This dude traveled the entire world and then ended up in Africa and said he did not recommend it.
He set out again with a caravan in February 1352 and after 25 days arrived at the dry salt lake bed of Taghaza with its salt mines. All of the local buildings were made from slabs of salt by the slaves of the Masufa tribe, who cut the salt in thick slabs for transport by camel. Taghaza was a commercial centre and awash with Malian gold, though Ibn Battuta did not form a favourable impression of the place, recording that it was plagued by flies and the water was brackish.
But name dropping explorers and European fetishist and their thoughts is as dumb as name dropping kingdoms in Africa that you know very little about besides the fact someone called it an Empire at some point.

Look, you can advocate for the wellbeing of black people in wherever and still not take part in historical abuse by pretending Africa was on its way to Wakanda before white people showed up. I actually looked up African pyramids and the only ones significant ones outside of Egypt I could find were actually a country over from Egypt and can fit in my backyard.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e6/NubianMeroePyramids30sep2005%282%29.jpg
Even the people eaters of Mexico built better stuff before Europeans arrived. And I am sure Dilbert wouldn't want Brazilians visiting either right now.
https://www.oyster.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/35/2019/06/27692-chicen-itza-mexico.jpg
I took African history classes too, and am familiar with Ibn Battuta. When I get home I'll look at some of my texts from those classes and pull some quotes regarding European visitors to Africa who erroneously hypothesized that certain African kingdoms were surely in contact with and influenced by classical Greek and Roman civilization due to their architecture and institutions. If/when I do, you can admit that I'm not just name dropping kingdoms that I know little about, since that actually describes you better than it does me.
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,890|5697|USA

Blah, blah, guardian, but still interesting things pointed out:

Have Australians in India been abandoned because people of colour are seen as ‘less’ Australian?
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n … australian

Criminalising citizens returning from India signals some are more Australian than others
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr … han-others
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,730|5031|eXtreme to the maX
Not really, travel from China was blocked totally, blocking travel from India - worst COVID outbreak in the world so far - affects the Australian cricket team as much as anyone else.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/ … r-maldives

Exactly zero racism involved.
#FreeBritney
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,890|5697|USA

Is that so, or are they an acceptable sacrifice.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,730|5031|eXtreme to the maX
Well no-one cares too much.

If there was 'racism' involved I'm guessing its because someone did the maths and realised Indians were coming in with a freakishly high infection rate when they had all had supposedly negative tests before they set off.
The simple fact is you can't trust Indians or any document they produce. Its a fact, can facts be racist?
#FreeBritney
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,890|5697|USA

I think racism and Australia are two very close partners. Granted, it's not just your country. Even Canada have been assholes about stuff over the course of history. Where to even begin on the US, blabbity-blah.

There's probably a valid point in that people have a preconceived notion of what an Australian should look like.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,730|5031|eXtreme to the maX
At least the country wasn't built on slavery
#FreeBritney

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2021 Jeff Minard