uziq
+492|3449
i’ve just remembered this from an essay by Eric Foner.

For many decades, historians viewed Reconstruction as the lowest point in the saga of American democracy, a period, allegedly, of corruption and misgovernment imposed on the South by vindictive Radical Republicans in Congress once they overturned Johnson’s supposedly more statesmanlike white supremacist Reconstruction policies. The cardinal error was granting suffrage to black men, said to be by their nature incapable of exercising democratic rights intelligently. This interpretation formed part of the intellectual legitimation of the Jim Crow South, which in the late 19th century began abrogating the rights blacks had gained during Reconstruction. The supposed horrors of Reconstruction offered a stark warning of what would happen if Southern blacks were able to exercise their right to vote. But after the civil rights revolution (sometimes called the Second Reconstruction), a wholesale shift in historical outlook took place. Today, Reconstruction is seen as a noble effort to create the foundation of racial justice in the aftermath of slavery. The tragedy is not that it was attempted, but that it failed.
that’s what this is really about. releasing a press statement on MLK’s day. it’s about a culture war going back to the civil rights movement and the reappraisal of history that began then.

i mean that’s obvious. but when you chime in with all this hysterical nonsense about ‘woke radicals destroying america’, you are basically just joining in the attack on the civil rights movement. i mean, really? do we have to rehash the arguments of the 1960s again. do you want to return to jim crow and segregation too?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6103|eXtreme to the maX
Well there you go, if you criticise wokism and the re-writing of history you want to bring black slavery.

Its impossible to have a sensible discussion against this backdrop.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3449
there is nothing 'sensible' about your contributions. you are spouting hysterical nonsense about 'woke lesbians' toppling society.

the entire point is that history is a pretty damn conservative discipline, nobody's national heritage is being torn-up by PhD theses or student activists.

republicans frothing about 'woke mobs' is the same as conservatives affecting to be concerned about 'critical race theory': a useful phantasm to manipulate their idiotic voters over. there IS no threat to the US or UK from 'critical race theory'. you are deluded.

the american history promulgated by historians, academics, and US universities throughout the majority of the 20th century, until at least the mid-1970s, was free of french left-wing 'theory', and was actually an expression of incredibly revanchist positions within the united states (notably the southern states and lost cause lobbyists).

you talking about history being 'traditionally left-wing' is historically illiterate.

you're not 'challenging' anything with a 'sensible' discussion. you have no sources, no evidence, no argument.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717

uziq wrote:

i’ve just remembered this from an essay by Eric Foner.

For many decades, historians viewed Reconstruction as the lowest point in the saga of American democracy, a period, allegedly, of corruption and misgovernment imposed on the South by vindictive Radical Republicans in Congress once they overturned Johnson’s supposedly more statesmanlike white supremacist Reconstruction policies. The cardinal error was granting suffrage to black men, said to be by their nature incapable of exercising democratic rights intelligently. This interpretation formed part of the intellectual legitimation of the Jim Crow South, which in the late 19th century began abrogating the rights blacks had gained during Reconstruction. The supposed horrors of Reconstruction offered a stark warning of what would happen if Southern blacks were able to exercise their right to vote. But after the civil rights revolution (sometimes called the Second Reconstruction), a wholesale shift in historical outlook took place. Today, Reconstruction is seen as a noble effort to create the foundation of racial justice in the aftermath of slavery. The tragedy is not that it was attempted, but that it failed.
that’s what this is really about. releasing a press statement on MLK’s day. it’s about a culture war going back to the civil rights movement and the reappraisal of history that began then.

i mean that’s obvious. but when you chime in with all this hysterical nonsense about ‘woke radicals destroying america’, you are basically just joining in the attack on the civil rights movement. i mean, really? do we have to rehash the arguments of the 1960s again. do you want to return to jim crow and segregation too?
The particularly spiteful part of the Trump release was that it was done on MLK day. Of all days to release a document arguing that American slavery wasn't too bad, they release it on the one day we set aside to acknowledge the civil rights movement. I am not emotionally invested in MLK/Civil Rights Movement stuff but it is plainly obvious that the subject and the day was meant as a last 'fuck you' to BLM and basically any non-white American. And as I said beforehand, I don't think this was Trump's idea. This is obviously the work of the traditional American right wing and Republicans.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3449
who have dictated history as taught in schools and universities for the vast majority of the discipline's history.

it's an expression of a deeply embedded power structure and class fearing losing its grip.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
Multiculturalism “is not who America is,” Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on his last full day at the State Department, a curious message from a diplomat whose own ancestors were immigrants from Italy, and one that ran counter to the United States’ long-held pride in being a melting pot of cultures.

In a post on Twitter, Mr. Pompeo, who has overseen a State Department where diplomats of color have been ignored, passed over or otherwise pressured to resign, also decried what he described as a sop to political correctness that he said “points in one direction — authoritarianism.”

“Wokeism, multiculturalism, all the -isms — they’re not who America is,” Mr. Pompeo wrote. “They distort our glorious founding and what this country is all about. Our enemies stoke these divisions because they know they make us weaker.”

The tweet infuriated American diplomats abroad and in the United States who described it as a final insult by an administration that has promoted far more white male Foreign Service Officers than women or people of color. Black and Hispanic diplomats each make up 8 percent of the Foreign Service, and Asians account for 7 percent, according to State Department data from March, the most recent available.

Mr. Pompeo’s post was particularly notable in that it came the day before Kamala Harris will be inaugurated as the first woman of color to hold the office of vice president.

“Talk about not reading the room,” said Lewis A. Lukens, the former deputy ambassador in London, responding to Mr. Pompeo’s post on Twitter.

Mr. Pompeo’s remarks may have been aimed at political conservatives he hopes to win over in future campaigns for office, including, possibly, a bid the presidency in 2024. It may also be a final dig at the 1619 Project, a New York Times project that reframes American history around the consequences of slavery and the contributions of Black Americans, which Mr. Pompeo has criticized repeatedly.
The last message to the world from America's top diplomat is to I guess denounce American social liberals? What an unifying message.
Larssen
+99|1885
You got to be a fucking moron to say that when your own parents are immigrants. What the fuck Mike? How dense can he be
uziq
+492|3449
lmao 'multiculturalism' is not what america is about. amazing.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61GK%2BM7cNqL.jpg

mike pompeo has to be one of the least illustrious and dumbest secretaries of state you have ever had.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6629|949

Wanting equitable representation is a step towards authoritarianism. Go ahead and say the silent part out loud, you fucking bag of trash.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

there is nothing 'sensible' about your contributions. you are spouting hysterical nonsense about 'woke lesbians' toppling society.

the entire point is that history is a pretty damn conservative discipline, nobody's national heritage is being torn-up by PhD theses or student activists.

republicans frothing about 'woke mobs' is the same as conservatives affecting to be concerned about 'critical race theory': a useful phantasm to manipulate their idiotic voters over. there IS no threat to the US or UK from 'critical race theory'. you are deluded.

the american history promulgated by historians, academics, and US universities throughout the majority of the 20th century, until at least the mid-1970s, was free of french left-wing 'theory', and was actually an expression of incredibly revanchist positions within the united states (notably the southern states and lost cause lobbyists).

you talking about history being 'traditionally left-wing' is historically illiterate.

you're not 'challenging' anything with a 'sensible' discussion. you have no sources, no evidence, no argument.
The problem is not the historical facts, and I'm doubtful tenured government jobs are dominated by right wing capitalists, its the new narrative:

- Everything white men have done is bad and tinged with racism
  - Why were the crew of the moon landings not all black - racism!
  - Why wasn't Einstein black - racism!
  - Why aren't basketballers all black - lets skip that one
- Everything white men will do is bad and tinged with racism
- We must burn it all down and ensure no white man can do anything ever again
- Black people are sweetness and light
- We must replace white racism with black racism
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

lmao 'multiculturalism' is not what america is about. amazing.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61GK%2BM7cNqL.jpg

mike pompeo has to be one of the least illustrious and dumbest secretaries of state you have ever had.
I'm sure Joe Biden will open the gates and let half of South America in.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6629|949

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

The problem is not the historical facts, and I'm doubtful tenured government jobs are dominated by right wing capitalists, its the new narrative:

- Everything white men have done is bad and tinged with racism
  - Why were the crew of the moon landings not all black - racism!
  - Why wasn't Einstein black - racism!
  - Why aren't basketballers all black - lets skip that one
- Everything white men will do is bad and tinged with racism
- We must burn it all down and ensure no white man can do anything ever again
- Black people are sweetness and light
- We must replace white racism with black racism
Why do you repeat right wing talking points when talking about race in America? Honest question.

None of the above is actual discourse in America. You look stupid bringing any of it up.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Do I really need to go and dig up all the links to academic courses and their content again?

The black/hipster "white man bad" echo chamber is about as unhinged as the white MAGA echo chamber at this point

Anyway, you're racist so shut up.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EhMj4QSXkAMmPhk.jpg

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2021-01-19 15:16:50)

DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6682|United States of America
What is the significance of resharing this picture? Who is this lady? Is she informing a large group of people?  Is she seen as a leader or just some person?

Much like that red-haired feminist became the memetic go-to online for that group despite just being a lady off the street, why shouldnt I just discount their point of view?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6629|949

Dilbert_X wrote:

Do I really need to go and dig up all the links to academic courses and their content again?

The black/hipster "white man bad" echo chamber is about as unhinged as the white MAGA echo chamber at this point

Anyway, you're racist so shut up.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EhMj4QSXkAMmPhk.jpg
There are courses analyzing US society through The Simpsons TV show. One of my exes taught an etiquette course at UC Berkeley. These are electives, not part of the core curriculum.

It's very telling that you misinterpret critical race theory as a persecution of white people. Again, it speaks to a sentiment that in order for black people to be treated equally, white people must give something up.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Tearing up white history and proclaiming everything white people have done is bad isn't part of treating people equally.

Black people are treated equally, but they want to dominate like any other group or race or tribe.
Promoting critical race theory and painting white people as uniformly bad and black people as uniformly good is part of that process.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6629|949

Dilbert_X wrote:

Tearing up white history and proclaiming everything white people have done is bad isn't part of treating people equally.

Black people are treated equally, but they want to dominate like any other group or race or tribe.
Promoting critical race theory and painting white people as uniformly bad and black people as uniformly good is part of that process.
I'm glad you've acknowledged that the history we learn about is too many times just the "white history", as you've called it.

You conveniently dismiss very real forms of institutional racism in policing, justice, finance, and employment, etc in thinking that black people are treated equally. Hell, you refuse to contrast police and social reactions to y'all qaeda storming the Capitol with how BLM protests were covered this past summer.

You have either never read any critical race theory or can't comprehend the big words if you think it paints any demographic as intrinsically good or bad.

Your view, in your own words: every group is fighting for dominance, so I'd rather it be my in group dominating than someone else's.

I don't think critical race theory should be taught in schools. I don't think it's a problem for the education system to fix, definitely not at a grade school level.

That being said, you definitely need to read a fucking book.
uziq
+492|3449
wow it's like everyone else views dilbert's inane claptrap in the same way as i do.

feels good man!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Injecting white privilege, racism and slavery into literally any topic discussed in education is tearing up and distorting the history written by white people - which in general is fairly balanced.

Generally speaking white culture is a whole lot more balanced and less racist than most others, with some outlier issues which are steadily being addressed.
Would I prefer it to African tribal culture, the Indian caste system, inbred Pakistani family culture, the Chinese Han-only culture, the Japanese racial domination culture - absolutely.
Would annihilating white culture allow one of these others to dominate - no doubt.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2021-01-19 17:28:55)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

wow it's like everyone else views dilbert's inane claptrap in the same way as i do.

feels good man!
You're still wrong, have fun in your Korean monoculture.
Why aren't you going to Johannesburg - the multiculture is strong there

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2021-01-19 17:28:03)

uziq
+492|3449
i've been to johannesburg many times. i would not describe it as a multicultural city. it is very segregated.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
But apartheid ended 30 years ago, surely its a vibrant, peaceful low-crime city where everyone gets along?
uziq
+492|3449
a top notch understanding there chap. might i recommend a book?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
I have seen headlines and blurbs about some states passing woke and critical race blah blah mandates in schools. Off the top of my head, I can recall two such mandates that were put into effect recently in NJ while I have been working as a martial arts instructor. I am mandated to include LGBT history and something about disabled people. I think there were already slavery and Holocausts mandates beforehand too. I have never seen anyone get told they need to include more gay into their lessons. I think a lot of the mandates are just legal cover for teachers when some Fox News addled parent thinks it is still 1992 and calls school to complain that a teacher called a founding father racist. "The state mandates the teacher teach this ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"
uziq
+492|3449
A report by President Trump’s 1776 Commission, advocating “patriotic education,” has no citations, and was written without the input of any professional U.S. historians. Its claims derive from arguments that have long circulated on the right.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/19/arts … ;smtyp=cur

amazing how neatly this recapitulates everything i've been saying to dilbert in the last few pages, and how often and consistently he parrots these dull 'arguments'.

totally like jay, drinking the kool-aid of sub-breitbart level 'alternative facts'.

Last edited by uziq (2021-01-19 18:33:02)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard