uziq
+492|3450
i don't believe that liberals are 'defensive' over islam. i think they try to uphold a principle of tolerance and to safeguard the private practice of religion. where that is problematic or has been unsuccessful, i don't think they're in denial about it. the number of books written on islam and the west in the last 20 years is honestly exhausting. not that you've been reading them, evidently. 

'my side' lmao.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

I dont think I've ever heard Uzique describe himself as a liberal
uziq
+492|3450
i'm certainly no ordo-liberal but if there's one thing i'm even further from, it's a brow-furrowing, self-declared 'cultural conservative' who likes to affect to be tremendously concerned about the influence of so-called 'incompatible' religions with our so-called 'way of life'. i don't buy all that cant at all. it's normally peddled by pundits and think-tank half-wits with a long list of spurious ideals themselves. i'm not interested in any of this clash-of-the-civilizations shit relying upon two-bit stereotypes from the middle ages, nor am i interested in essentialist discourse about religious groups and how they are 'exclusively incompatible for once and all time'.

populations shift, religions change, attitudes modulate. present context and material factors are more important than recycling some vague idea of the 7th century.

as for accusing liberals of hypocrisy and supposed 'bad faith', it's really a favourite sport of the above conservatives to act like liberals have zero self-awareness and haven't probed any of these questions themselves. liberalism taken as a rigid dogma has just as many paradoxes (or 'aporias', if you will) as any other ideology which calcifies into rigidity. i may not be a card-carrying liberal myself but i give them enough credit to figure those things out for themselves without some trad-cath fantasist 'pointing' them out like so many revelations. omG buT uR BeiNg tOleRanT of thE inTolERanT!1!1

Last edited by uziq (2021-01-15 09:24:36)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

https://reason.com/2021/01/14/massive-i … oked-cops/

This deserves posting for people like Macbeth who claim protests do nothing.

Is it the end of the fight? Not even close. Is it progress in one of the most crooked states in the union? Abso-fucking-lutely.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
I have never claimed that protest do nothing. I demand an apology.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

Now you're gonna make me dig up some posts. Lame
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
I advocated for working within the political system back when you said you were only voting third party. I followed the Arab Spring closely. I know protest can sometimes work.
uziq
+492|3450
err the arab spring isn't exactly the best example of successful protest, considering. maybe in like 1 country? 2 countries?

but protest within an already established democracy is a different matter altogether, anyway.
Larssen
+99|1885

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Larssen wrote:

Afghanistan was hardly a case of oppressor interference. Kuwait was hardly unjustified. I believe you'd also do well to place previous ventures in the context of the cold war. The longer ago it is, the less we seem able to empathise with and understand the sentiments of the time, or the interests at stake.

This is not to absolve parties from blame, rather an appeal to see things within their complete context instead of regurgitating chomskyisms.
Invading Afghanistan was a terrible policy decision, but Afghanis aren't exactly flying over to the US and bombing buildings, are they? I think there was a mastermind behind those attacks, and his motivation was well-known, but hey, that's all just conveniently forgotten in this discussion, right?

The US supported the Baathist regime in Iraq up until the invasion of Kuwait. The US even told Saddam to go ahead and attack Kuwait, and that we wouldn't intervene, because of #policy goals!

The military interventions into Central and South America were ok because of domino theory? Why do we have the term Banana Republic if it's really all about stopping communism? Viewing US intervention in the western hemisphere through the lens of the Cold War erases almost 100 years of colonialism in Latin America that predates the Cold War. Funny how we called them Banana Republics instead of successful capitalist societies then, yeah?

Yes, let's put these into context. That's precisely what I'm doing, after all.

As long as people like you want to put forward these theories that everything needs to be looked at in the context of stated policy goals without factoring in background motives and actual results, I will continue to "regurgitate chomskyisms". FYI Chomsky doesn't hold a monopoly on criticizing western foreign policy goals, but he's probably the only one familiar to you because you stopped reading critiques of western policy when you finished your education.
Invading Afghanistan and the following state building policy were terribly incompetent in their conceptualisation and execution. Nonetheless, there was moral ground to go there. For Iraq, much less so if none, for much of SA, probably also much less so if none.

I've read plenty critiques of western policies and still have to read them every once in a while. But this whole point is also part of a much wider neverending debate in international relations, isn't it? How 'the international state system' works, how international law works, the moral attitudes of the people, that these may change over time and so on. All I can say is that, as I'm sure you're well aware, a singular focus on one analytical lens as the whole truth just isn't going to bring you very far. This does not logically or academically disqualify that critiques can be completely valid and justified and point out that policy makers and politicians made corrupt, otherwise morally bankrupt or incompetent decisions. It's just that the critical view too is often stuck in its own theoretical constraints and that there are many other lenses through which things can be and should be evaluated. It's also closer to the truth, because honestly reality to me often appears much more chaotic than we can accurately capture.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718

uziq wrote:

err the arab spring isn't exactly the best example of successful protest, considering. maybe in like 1 country? 2 countries?

but protest within an already established democracy is a different matter altogether, anyway.
It went a lot better than people give it credit for. It ushered in a brief democracy in the biggest Arab country of Egypt. Brought democracy to Tunisia. Resulted in reforms and economic aid in some other countries. The biggest failure is Iraq and Syria. We do have some blame in that.

We will never know the effect the George Floyd protest had on the election but I am very pleased by the results of that election. I think a lot of that protest was pent up rage by the failure to contain the pandemic. Overall, I am confident about the racial trajectory of things. I think things will settle down once we get more vaccines into arms.

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2021-01-15 10:19:27)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718

Larssen wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Larssen wrote:

Afghanistan was hardly a case of oppressor interference. Kuwait was hardly unjustified. I believe you'd also do well to place previous ventures in the context of the cold war. The longer ago it is, the less we seem able to empathise with and understand the sentiments of the time, or the interests at stake.

This is not to absolve parties from blame, rather an appeal to see things within their complete context instead of regurgitating chomskyisms.
Invading Afghanistan was a terrible policy decision, but Afghanis aren't exactly flying over to the US and bombing buildings, are they? I think there was a mastermind behind those attacks, and his motivation was well-known, but hey, that's all just conveniently forgotten in this discussion, right?

The US supported the Baathist regime in Iraq up until the invasion of Kuwait. The US even told Saddam to go ahead and attack Kuwait, and that we wouldn't intervene, because of #policy goals!

The military interventions into Central and South America were ok because of domino theory? Why do we have the term Banana Republic if it's really all about stopping communism? Viewing US intervention in the western hemisphere through the lens of the Cold War erases almost 100 years of colonialism in Latin America that predates the Cold War. Funny how we called them Banana Republics instead of successful capitalist societies then, yeah?

Yes, let's put these into context. That's precisely what I'm doing, after all.

As long as people like you want to put forward these theories that everything needs to be looked at in the context of stated policy goals without factoring in background motives and actual results, I will continue to "regurgitate chomskyisms". FYI Chomsky doesn't hold a monopoly on criticizing western foreign policy goals, but he's probably the only one familiar to you because you stopped reading critiques of western policy when you finished your education.
Invading Afghanistan and the following state building policy were terribly incompetent in their conceptualisation and execution. Nonetheless, there was moral ground to go there. For Iraq, much less so if none, for much of SA, probably also much less so if none.

I've read plenty critiques of western policies and still have to read them every once in a while. But this whole point is also part of a much wider neverending debate in international relations, isn't it? How 'the international state system' works, how international law works, the moral attitudes of the people, that these may change over time and so on. All I can say is that, as I'm sure you're well aware, a singular focus on one analytical lens as the whole truth just isn't going to bring you very far. This does not logically or academically disqualify that critiques can be completely valid and justified and point out that policy makers and politicians made corrupt, otherwise morally bankrupt or incompetent decisions. It's just that the critical view too is often stuck in its own theoretical constraints and that there are many other lenses through which things can be and should be evaluated. It's also closer to the truth, because honestly reality to me often appears much more chaotic than we can accurately capture.
Of all state building exercise undertaken by the U.S. I think Afghanistan had the best chance of going right. Diverting resources for the invasion of Iraq doomed the whole thing. Continuing with hostility with Iran didn't help. Afghanistan being a nation of mountainous agrarian communities would have made it easier to up lift the lives of the people there if we had the extra development money, manpower, and legitimacy we spent on Iraq. The invasion of Iraq unleashed more woe on the world than we could have imagined.
uziq
+492|3450

SuperJail Warden wrote:

uziq wrote:

It went a lot better than people give it credit for. It ushered in a brief democracy in the biggest Arab country of Egypt. Brought democracy to Tunisia. Resulted in reforms and economic aid in some other countries. The biggest failure is Iraq and Syria. We do have some blame in that.

We will never know the effect the George Floyd protest had on the election but I am very pleased by the results of that election. I think a lot of that protest was pent up rage by the failure to contain the pandemic. Overall, I am confident about the racial trajectory of things. I think things will settle down once we get more vaccines into arms.
the biggest failure iraq and syria? libya is still in total chaos after the deposition of gaddafi on the back of the 'arab spring'.

the number of examples where it evidently went very, very badly is sadly longer than those successes. and egypt is far from a successful story: by most accounts now it sounds far worse.

but i digress.

Last edited by uziq (2021-01-15 10:31:44)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

people have aggravating and mitigating factors in a court of law, dipshit. this guy is possibly incriminating himself when on bail.

nobody is saying it forfeits his right to a fair trial. but it is maximally poorly advised.
So why are the prosecutors trying to get his bail conditions altered? Its very weird.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

uziq wrote:

the biggest failure iraq and syria? libya is still in total chaos after the deposition of gaddafi on the back of the 'arab spring'.

the number of examples where it evidently went very, very badly is sadly longer than those successes. and egypt is far from a successful story: by most accounts now it sounds far worse.

but i digress.
The intent was to cauldronise the region, not bring democracy.
Bomb them into the stone age and ensure they stay there.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

"Bombing <insert brown people> into the stone age" is such a classic cringe. Besides, breaking it down, the concept is ridiculous. How many bombs do you think it would take to bomb a modern society "into the stone age?" What do you think life is going to be like for everyone else on the planet if such a crime transpired.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Exactly, you need to deconstruct their democracy, radicalise them all for the full effect
uziq
+492|3450

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

people have aggravating and mitigating factors in a court of law, dipshit. this guy is possibly incriminating himself when on bail.

nobody is saying it forfeits his right to a fair trial. but it is maximally poorly advised.
So why are the prosecutors trying to get his bail conditions altered? Its very weird.
the american bail system is weird full stop. if you have enough money evidently you can go for beers with your neo-nazi friends who crowdfunded your release. even after killing somebody.

those victims have families who do not want to see the perpetrator out and about, smiling for group photos and expressing something less than remorse. is it in the public interest to have killers pending trial becoming bar-room celebrities? really?

really dilbert? you seem awfully interested in the free speech rights of these people and, er, not very interested in the dead victims. didn’t they have a right to life and protest in the first place? your sympathies all extend one way.
uziq
+492|3450

SuperJail Warden wrote:

uziq wrote:

It went a lot better than people give it credit for.
people like the arabs affected, you mean?

https://www.theguardian.com/global-deve … -east-poll

A majority in nine countries across the Arab world feel they are living in significantly more unequal societies today than before the Arab spring, an era of uprisings, civil wars and unsteady progress towards self-determination that commenced a decade ago, according to a Guardian-YouGov poll.

Pluralities in almost every country agreed their living conditions had deteriorated since 2010, when the self-immolation of Tunisian fruit seller Mohamed Bouazizi is credited with kicking off mass demonstrations and revolutions that spread across the region. Reverberations of that moment continued into 2019 with the overthrow of Sudan’s former dictator Omar al-Bashir and large protest movements in Lebanon, Algeria and Iraq.

The results of the far-reaching poll of 5,275 people across genders and age groups suggest the feelings of hopelessness and disfranchisement that have fuelled this turbulent chapter in the Middle East have only increased, even if most people do not regret the protest movements – except for, notably, in the countries where they led to civil war.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

the american bail system is weird full stop. if you have enough money evidently you can go for beers with your neo-nazi friends who crowdfunded your release. even after killing somebody.

those victims have families who do not want to see the perpetrator out and about, smiling for group photos and expressing something less than remorse. is it in the public interest to have killers pending trial becoming bar-room celebrities? really?

really dilbert? you seem awfully interested in the free speech rights of these people and, er, not very interested in the dead victims. didn’t they have a right to life and protest in the first place? your sympathies all extend one way.
I'm not at all interested, you brought it up.
Either someone is released on bail or not, either figure out the conditions before they are released or not.
Taking someone back to court because they met someone and made a hand gesture seems fairly stupid.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

uziq wrote:

It went a lot better than people give it credit for.
people like the arabs affected, you mean?

https://www.theguardian.com/global-deve … -east-poll

A majority in nine countries across the Arab world feel they are living in significantly more unequal societies today than before the Arab spring, an era of uprisings, civil wars and unsteady progress towards self-determination that commenced a decade ago, according to a Guardian-YouGov poll.

Pluralities in almost every country agreed their living conditions had deteriorated since 2010, when the self-immolation of Tunisian fruit seller Mohamed Bouazizi is credited with kicking off mass demonstrations and revolutions that spread across the region. Reverberations of that moment continued into 2019 with the overthrow of Sudan’s former dictator Omar al-Bashir and large protest movements in Lebanon, Algeria and Iraq.

The results of the far-reaching poll of 5,275 people across genders and age groups suggest the feelings of hopelessness and disfranchisement that have fuelled this turbulent chapter in the Middle East have only increased, even if most people do not regret the protest movements – except for, notably, in the countries where they led to civil war.
Thats the thing, 'these people' can't handle democracy, and you want this culture to replace european culture.
uziq
+492|3450
you have repeatedly accused BLM of being the equivalent of future nazis. based on the evidence that, er, protestors spray paint buildings and pulled down a few controversial statues.

when a crowd of white supremacists smash the doors and windows of the heart of a nation’s legislative, smearing shit on walls and ransacking the building that is full of the holy idols of their democracy, you hum and you haw and you’re full of special pleading.

remind me which ‘they’ isn’t capable of democracy again? which group just killed two cops and threatened to hang senior-most politicians because they refuse an election result?

fucking LMAO. yes this racial-essentialist discourse is so so smarts!

Last edited by uziq (2021-01-15 23:36:11)

uziq
+492|3450

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

I'm not at all interested, you brought it up.
Either someone is released on bail or not, either figure out the conditions before they are released or not.
Taking someone back to court because they met someone and made a hand gesture seems fairly stupid.
er bail is like any other probationary measure and can come with conditions. bail can be revoked. this isn’t complicated.

you playing dumb about ‘hand gestures’ is your usual slime ball routine. ‘whatever next will they ban hand shakes and head nodding?’ yeah, nobody is playing dumb like you are. move along.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
Since this is the race thread I guess it would be the place to point out that at all of these Proud Boy events that people get killed at, only white people are actually dying.

Charleston attack killed 1 white lady, and 3 white cops. Kenosha shooting guy killed two white people and is now a checks notes white supremacists icon. Capital hill attack got 5 to 6 white conservatives killed.

Running tally is:

3 dead white liberals, 5 dead white cops, 4 dead white Trumpist. Malcolm X would approve of the work the Proud Boys are putting in.
uziq
+492|3450
on a similar note, it’s funny to me that dilbert doesn’t realise the ‘bloody democratic revolution that actually ends in something worse’ is a white civilisation tree specialism.

a country needs things like a working economy, strong institutions, freedom from military or church power, an existing intelligentsia or bureaucrat class, etc, in order to make a success out of a regime change. you can’t just summon a stable democracy using two sticks and a piece of tinder.

dilbert, ad infinitum: it’s always been our goal and israel’s goal to cauldronize the region, to make it as unstable and war town as possible.
also dilbert: see! see! look! these people are racially incapable of democracy!!!

Last edited by uziq (2021-01-15 23:55:36)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Its pretty well only white civilisation that has built a working economy, strong institutions, freedom from military or church power, an existing intelligentsia or bureaucrat class, etc.

I don't think its really fair to be destroying what little structure other countries have, not when its to protect the most backward society of them all, ie Israel.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard