Larssen
+99|1884
Both are interwoven. Have I mentioned Diyanet yet? Better known as the Turks' 'directorate of religious affairs'. Maybe you should read up on the garbage they're exporting since Erdogan started using it, which by the way is also often expressly anti-western. It is an arm of Erdogan's AKP.

Also, why would my opinion against Erdogan imply that I tolerate PiS in Poland or Orban in Hungary? Fuck all three of them.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-10-27 07:05:38)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

People needing to cut themselves off from their home country/culture/whatever sounds like the same thing you'd hear from an outspoken American bigot bristling at the Spanish music at a Mexican restaurant.
American immigration issues and European immigration issues are a whole league apart from each other. We should do everything we can to avoid linking them together. Linking the two does more to promote conspiracy theories around immigration than it promotes empathy and understanding.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3449

Larssen wrote:

Both are interwoven. Have I mentioned Diyanet yet? Better known as the Turks' 'directorate of religious affairs'. Maybe you should read up on the garbage they're exporting since Erdogan started using it, which by the way is also often expressly anti-western. It is an arm of Erdogan's AKP.

Also, why would my opinion against Erdogan imply that I tolerate PiS in Poland or Orban in Hungary? Fuck all three of them.
so are you suggesting that polish migrants living in, say, the UK, should be repatriated because of their dodgy conflict of allegiances?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

SuperJail Warden wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

People needing to cut themselves off from their home country/culture/whatever sounds like the same thing you'd hear from an outspoken American bigot bristling at the Spanish music at a Mexican restaurant.
American immigration issues and European immigration issues are a whole league apart from each other. We should do everything we can to avoid linking them together. Linking the two does more to promote conspiracy theories around immigration than it promotes empathy and understanding.
Bands of Mexican Islamists are an enduring threat to the sanctity of the German fatherland.
Larssen
+99|1884
So the leader of a country that isn't yours, who is known for his oppressive behaviour back home (among which jailing journalists en masse, using goons to intimidate protesters, bombing the shit out of another ethnic minority, removing all opposition from government & politics) creates chapters of his government religious organisation in other countries. The leaders of those chapters are trained and educated in the 'home country' and have a mission to export the party policy and their distinct nationalist version of the religion. Those chapters are also put to use as an intelligence network to keep tabs on 'anti home country activists' among the emigrant population, and religious texts are pushed that outlaw events or norms in the host countries. All the while the home country is very much idealised, particularly Dear Leader, for whom you must all vote.

The both of you look at this and say to yourselves 'there's nothing wrong here'. Better yet if someone does say that it's foreign influencing ops you act as though you've been put in a room with a supremacist.

Do you have your heads in your asses?

Last edited by Larssen (2020-10-27 07:34:35)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716
Turkey is doing more to combat Russia around the Mediterranean than a lot of Europeans. It's an underappreciated and talked about fact that Turkey is putting in time, money, and blood to fight Russia.
Larssen
+99|1884
Fuck turkey and fuck russia
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

Political manipulation by a belligerent foreign power sounds like a job more suited to counter-terrorism and counter-espionage efforts than forming new ghettos to breed extremism, poverty, and general human misery, and to serve as easy targets for your own homegrown nationalists.

Anyway it's all well and fine when The West screws a country or region up for generations, I guess.
uziq
+492|3449

Larssen wrote:

So the leader of a country that isn't yours, who is known for his oppressive behaviour back home (among which jailing journalists en masse, using goons to intimidate protesters, bombing the shit out of another ethnic minority, removing all opposition from government & politics) creates chapters of his government religious organisation in other countries. The leaders of those chapters are trained and educated in the 'home country' and have a mission to export the party policy and their distinct nationalist version of the religion. Those chapters are also put to use as an intelligence network to keep tabs on 'anti home country activists' among the emigrant population, and religious texts are pushed that outlaw events or norms in the host countries. All the while the home country is very much idealised, particularly Dear Leader, for whom you must all vote.

The both of you look at this and say to yourselves 'there's nothing wrong here'. Better yet if someone does say that it's foreign influencing ops you act as though you've been put in a room with a supremacist.

Do you have your heads in your asses?
i don't approve of erdogan. but i don't approve of incriminating all turks living in western countries and accusing them of 'secret alliances' or 'conflicts of interest'. frankly you have never had to negotiate dual-identities or growing up in a culture other than your native one, so i think you should lay off a bit with the accusatory and inflammatory rhetoric. if they want to retain pride in turkey and show support for their country of origin, that's their prerogative. it does NOT mean that they're all radical islamist terrorists in training, or are somehow 'subverting democracy' and impeding progress, etc etc.

it just seems unfair to me that we have historically invited these people over, asked them to contribute to our societies (which they have), and now you want to punish them because they still wish to retain some of their origins or roots. a turkish family living and abiding by the law in the west for generations isn't enough for you? they have to decry erdogan too? maybe renounce their traditional garb and start wearing cocktail dresses? re-prove that kemalism and a secular turk identity isn't an impossibility, again and again? it's entirely in their right to show support for a nationalist turkish leader that wants to guide turkey to more international prominence, and so on and so forth. it's complex, to be sure, but that's the nature of having both national citizenship and an ethnic identity. something, again, that you've never had to negotiate or test.

of all the countries to finger for extremism and having a role in breeding terrorists, turkey would be somewhere near the bottom of my list. yes, it has undoubtedly got worse under erdogan -- but he is contemporaneous with 'hard men' figures in hungary, poland, britain, the US, russia, etc, who have similarly stoked the blue-collar, little-guy element to great success. not a unique and worrying sign about the future of islam in europe, if you ask me. i doubt that many terrorist attackers have been inspired to violence by erdogan and not, say, fundamentalist sunni clericism. turkey is still, again, at least notionally a secular democracy. you can make worrying noises about religious groups' influence but the same situation pertains in america, or france, or denmark, or any other avowedly 'secular' country that in fact has (very) powerful religious lobbies and influential churches. i am seeing far more worrying evidence of your so-called 'religious-nationalism' in poland, a neighbouring country with many millions of residents and patriots in western countries, than turkey.

so i ask again: are you having brow-furrowing conversations in brussels about poland's membership of the EU? it's safety as a partner, going forward? it's future and 'compatibility' with 'western democratic' values?

why exactly do you want to blame average immigrants for the 'failure of multiculturalism'? this seems like you have your head in your ass, to me. you want to blame your average gastarbeiter for the excesses and violences of islamic terrorism but not even look twice at, say, your own benevolent technocratic EU foreign policy. it's just bizarre. most all turkish residents here in the UK are moderate, law-abiding muslims, not sleeper cells or secret agents.

Last edited by uziq (2020-10-27 08:11:21)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716
I am pro-assimilation but I recognize that the people most bothered by non-assimilation are just as bothered by the presence of ethnic minorities no matter how much they try to fit in and get with the program. "Why even bother then?" Pretty good point actually.

I do think that a lot of domestic problems in Europe and the U.S. is put onto immigrants when the real cause of Euro-American decline is your own political system and the loss of overseas colonies as a result of the World Wars. I strongly believe the west is still floating off the backs of earlier conquest and colonization. And I have no problem with either of those things but failure to recognize those facts prevents the reflection needed to improve yourselves.
uziq
+492|3449
i do have a specific example in mind when i mention the above, which i hope will make it clear i’m not exactly a turkey fanboy. an ex of mine, with whom i keep in contact, is armenian by origin. she’s never been to armenia, though, having been raised in germany and latterly in peru. you could say, in fact, that her extended family network and friends have maintained a ‘ghetto’ of armenians wherever their diaspora have been located. but she is also undoubtedly in support of armenia’s actions in nagorno-karabakh, and would on the surface of it seem quite nationalist and chauvinist in support of armenia’s military actions.

is she a unique danger to the social fabric of her ‘home’ country? does she undermine the democracy of peru, or the united kingdom, or wherever else she is living? should she be viewed with suspicion because she wishes to preserve her armenian identity, and to even take pride in it? like what exactly do you even expect from people in pluralist, multicultural democracies, here? that they empty out their ethnic or religious identities and just become a pure, homogeneous ‘european citizen’? because, let me tell you, this concept of citizenship is repulsive to many other groups than those designated as religious or ‘ethnic’. it horrifies most patriots in the western-secular nations too.

Last edited by uziq (2020-10-27 08:24:03)

uziq
+492|3449
In most of (western) Europe we generally don't raise our kids anymore in a culture in which unquestioned allegiance to the fatherland is expected, or one in which we idealise our past and tales of glorious conquests.
LOL ahahaha wow you have a very selective vision of european culture, don't you? just like you selectively seem to see the very worst in turkish people's pride.

i agree with your critique of nationalism, of course i do, but to somehow construe it as a problem with 'islamism' or 'the failure of multiculturalism' seems very suspect, to me. it's not at all clear to me that a resurgent turkish nationalism will even become overtly theocratic or radical-islamist. turkey, much like israel, can become plenty nationalistic and bellicose enough even within a secular framework. to connect that sort of thing with suicide bombers and beheaded schoolteachers is a bit of a reach.

as i said in my very first post, if macron wants to alienate the moderate middle of islam, he's welcome to. pandering to far-right rhetoric about all immigrants being to blame for ghettoes or failed multiculturalist projects is just no good, though. very facile analysis. it's not the immigrant communities who are wholly to blame for a lack of integration or supposed fellow-feeling. you taking glee in macron 'taking it to the muslims' isn't going to fix any problems or answer any insuperable difficulties about france's post-colonial composition, either. they're sure as hell not going anywhere. i know most french politicians have rather preferred to ignore the banlieus for most of their terms, but changing strategy, from one of kicking the problem down the road to one of alienating law-abiding muslims, is not a particularly good one.

Last edited by uziq (2020-10-27 10:22:07)

Larssen
+99|1884
Maybe different story when you live in the UK, but in Germany it was even considered sinful to wave the flag. In the low countries less so, but apart from the far right most people aren't all that rosy about the past.
uziq
+492|3449

Larssen wrote:

Maybe different story when you live in the UK, but in Germany it was even considered sinful to wave the flag. In the low countries less so, but apart from the far right most people aren't all that rosy about the past.
cut the bullshit. germany has had flag-waving nationalist and patriots since at least the 1970s. the AfD nowadays is not exactly a niche concern.

skinheads and neo-nazis have been fighting in berlin in recent weeks. i know because i have friends living there. they turn up and are confluent to all the anti-covid demonstrations. please stop pretending that the rest of europe 'grew up' and matured out of nationalism.

https://www.ft.com/content/8054693b-569 … 49ac33db4c

https://static.euronews.com/articles/stories/03/27/43/68/602x338_cmsv2_778c7758-7ed7-5c1f-af1a-3335efdaf48e-3274368.jpg

of all the ex-colonial countries who haven't reckoned with their past, the dutch and belgians have to be way up there. the dutch are utterly unrepentant about certain aspects of their colonial history and have turned their refusal into a point of pride. look at all that black pete bullshit. clearly a people who have matured and learned many lessons from their past.

Last edited by uziq (2020-10-27 10:26:50)

Larssen
+99|1884
You know what's interesting? Most of those ultra nationalists and skinheads are east german. After the reunification a lot of resentment built that refueled those tendencies. In the 70s and 80s it was an absolute minority.

All things are relative. The dutch and belgians don't quite strike me anywhere close to the levels of nationalism that I see in France, in the US, or in a country like Turkey. Despite their shit tradition. There's some cultural narcissism there, but much of it is  more recent - since the late 90s.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-10-27 10:30:59)

uziq
+492|3449
well, if flag-waving was an absolute minority in the 70s and 80s, in the present-day it seems that explicit neo-nazis are storming the reichstag. from the financial times article:

For weeks, concern has been rising that the growing protest movement against Germany’s anti-coronavirus restrictions was being hijacked by the far-right. When rightwing radicals waving nationalist flags broke through police barriers on Saturday to storm the Reichstag building, the home of the country’s parliament, those fears were emphatically confirmed.
and the dutch and belgians might not be more nationalist (i mean their empires went the way of the dodo almost 100 years ago), but almost certainly they are more racist and more parochial than germany or the united kingdom. the dutch are some of the most racist people in europe. even when trying to do the multicultural thing they frequently condescend and offend.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53261944

ask any young person of colour in amsterdam they opinion of the dutch and they'll be able to give you a long list of grievances about the arrogance and offence-making of the natives.

nobody is debating you that nationalism is a sort of collective narcissism. i think that formulation is perfectly neat and cogent. but in western europe the nationalism is just as tied in to a nexus of ethnic and religious identity as the turkish version (or not, depending on your interpretation). you can't scaremonger about one group and then give the other a wide latitude. if you're not worried about polish or hungarian patriots then why are you beschmirching turks for doing national service or cheering when erdogan sleights one of their historical enemies?

it seems you present some forms of nationalism as an existential threat to the western way of life, and for others - the white, christian version - you shrug and pettifog about their voting rights in the union ...

Last edited by uziq (2020-10-27 10:43:29)

Larssen
+99|1884
I fucked up and accidentally edited and deleted the post, fuck it.

I'm not giving anyone a pass. We can't do anything about orban and duda. I already told you.
uziq
+492|3449
but we should send all the law-abiding, moderate, peaceful turks home so that we 'do something' about secular-turkish nationalism?

i don't follow you. defeatist and resigned about the rise of nationalism on your own doorstep and yet rubbing your hands over an opportunity to 'take it' to those brown nationalists. very odd. don't you have more of a political and legal lever over recalcitrant EU states than, erm, non-EU states?

ah well, muslims everywhere must be made to pay, i guess. this will definitely make for a good future. just like deposing gaddafi.
uziq
+492|3449

europe, a true post-nationalist paradise.

precis from a polish friend:

the PiS leader's statement on the [ongonig nationwide] protests [...] but the rhetoric is very resonant with jaruzelski's announcement of martial law in 1981. he's saying that the scale of the protests is dangerous because of the pandemic, but what is far more worrying is that churches are being attacked, and this is an assault on the moral system wielded by the catholic church, 'the only moral system this nation knows - this nihilism is manifested in the vulgarity and 'bad facets of 'a certain part of our society''
he says that adults are forcing CHILDREN to participate in the protests and that this is obscene. that's almost word for word with a sentence from the jaruzelski speech [from 1981].
'above all else, we have to protect and defend our churches'
but hey, /shrug. nothing the EU can do to punish poland's catholic fascists. let's stoke fear about the ottomans, instead.

Last edited by uziq (2020-10-27 14:38:06)

Larssen
+99|1884

uziq wrote:

but we should send all the law-abiding, moderate, peaceful turks home so that we 'do something' about secular-turkish nationalism?

i don't follow you. defeatist and resigned about the rise of nationalism on your own doorstep and yet rubbing your hands over an opportunity to 'take it' to those brown nationalists. very odd. don't you have more of a political and legal lever over recalcitrant EU states than, erm, non-EU states?

ah well, muslims everywhere must be made to pay, i guess. this will definitely make for a good future. just like deposing gaddafi.
You're conflating things. We can't change polish domestic policies. We can change our own domestic affairs. All I can do wrt Poland is write up a diplomatic approach or at best a sanction proposal for the EU. The latter will inevitably be voted down, the former is also complicated because most hard-hitting stuff (i.e. economic activity) is tied into EU laws and regulations.

To be clear I wish we had means to effectively pressure the Poles but without a coalition of the willing or fundamental change in EU treaties that is impossible. The 'coalition of the willing' is also a very contentious point because you'll essentially start breaking apart the entire EU. It would probably be the most controversial/divisive moment since Brexit.

I realise this will provoke your ire about the sanctity at the EU that must be held together at all cost - no. But you will not find any political support for cracking open the union unless it's absolutely necessary. EU countries are sooner inclined to allow one of their members to fall into dictatorship than intervene, as briefly proven by Orban recently.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-10-27 15:22:12)

uziq
+492|3449
ok let’s just beat on the honest immigrants and ex-colonials then. even better if it gets votes. well done macron.
Larssen
+99|1884
Who says beating on honest immigrants? If you target foreign funding streams and start a European Imam training program, where's the harm in that? Are muslims persecuted because their Imams are no longer trained in Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Egypt?
uziq
+492|3449
if it was limited to counter-terrorism and legitimate targets, it wouldn't be the excuse for a national address and an election campaign.
Larssen
+99|1884
If in a country that suffered the number of terror attacks France did in the last decade your chosen strategy is to placate and argue for calm level-headedness after the umpteenth one, you'll be out the next election. As I said Macron knows that Le Pen will very likely be his opponent in the final presidential runoff, and knows what her platform will be. Pragmatism demands he veers to the right on this issue. Whether or not you personally or logically agree, you're not reading the times right if you think the same rhetoric of the late 90s / early 2000s will pull through now. And you called me naive whenever I talked about rorty.
uziq
+492|3449
what does rorty have to do with it? is that your only point of reference on that entire end of the spectrum? what about levinas? why don't you go and read a little on alterity like a good little european cosmopolitan?

i am not making a case for early 2000s triumphal multiculturalism. but i don't see the sense in announcing 'fuck the turks' when they're still one of the best chances we've got yet of welcoming a moderate, and moderating, secular-islamic nation into the international order. there's more to turkey than erdogan and his anatolian cave dwellers.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard