Larssen
+99|1880
It's a little more complicated than that dilbert, read the article and click the links. But all things considered I don't think it's quite fair to portray journalism as a deeply racist career environment if the diversity range deviates some mere 3% from the national average - clearly that indicates steps are & have been taken.

It's the quota & percentages discussion that rubs me the wrong way though. The goal should simply be that people of various backgrounds can integrate in a new work environment and develop their skills without being hindered because of sexual or racial differences. How much % of a workforce is of X background should only be a concern if the makeup is at extremes, which doesn't seem to be the case...
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

the vast majority of managerial/editorial and commissioning/producer jobs in the media will be the same old boys network. think of the patrician BBC. plenty of BAME newscasters but how many black director-generals? how many black program controllers? there's a lot more to a news or media organisation than the person sat in the chair reading the autocue.
The old boys network didn't help you in your career?

Do you think if the positions were reversed it wouldn't be far worse?
Take a look at your typical African country where not only do you have to be the right race you have to be from the right tribe and in with the right people to get a govt job.

Western countries are destroying themselves to give advantage to people who would not do the same for use and won't when they're in positions of authority.

There seem to be a disproportionate number of black football players, I think we need to take a look at that and introduce quotas so disadvantaged white youths have equal, or better, opportunities.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Larssen
+99|1880
Dilbert, black people in the UK =/= African tribesmen. We've been over this. I don't see hutu and tutsi or zulu and xhosa enclaves & social organisation in london. Get it through your thick skull
uziq
+492|3444
The old boys network didn't help you in your career?
what, you think i used a freemason handshake in my job interview or something?

i don't have any problem with more women members of the board or more black publishing directors. the idea doesn't fill me with spite and vitriol.
uziq
+492|3444

Larssen wrote:

It's a little more complicated than that dilbert, read the article and click the links. But all things considered I don't think it's quite fair to portray journalism as a deeply racist career environment if the diversity range deviates some mere 3% from the national average - clearly that indicates steps are & have been taken.

It's the quota & percentages discussion that rubs me the wrong way though. The goal should simply be that people of various backgrounds can integrate in a new work environment and develop their skills without being hindered because of sexual or racial differences. How much % of a workforce is of X background should only be a concern if the makeup is at extremes, which doesn't seem to be the case...
there's more to the argument that the media *can* be racist, or aid and abet racism, as in this case, than just citing the professional statistics.

media portrayals and programming have a much bigger impact on society at large. you know, like broadcasting and normalising white supremacy on your history show.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712
Aren't most black Europeans from Africa or a generation removed from Africa? That's problematic especially when they are Muslim. Black Americans meanwhile are almost totally Americanized and Christian. We shouldn't let our issues with black people in the U.S. and black people in Europe cross streams. Two different issues. Same with illegal immigration/migration.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3444
most black-british citizens are from the caribbean, i.e. the wind rush generation. they have been in the UK since the 1950s basically, if not longer. they came over in the first large migrations at the explicit request of the mother land, to 'rebuild the country'. many of them were doctors, nurses, judges, lawyers, etc, as well as usual 'migrant' labour stereotypes. a good number of them helped to build up the NHS, an institution founded the same year as wind rush and in the same spirit. they're british and everyone considers them british.

for dilbert to talk about 'african tribes' again is more purposeful, wrongheaded bullshit. nothing new there. the black people in britain haven't had ties to africa in most cases since the 1700s.

https://www.newstatesman.com/sites/default/files/styles/cropped_article_image/public/blogs_2018/08/2018_35_mixing_it.jpg?itok=S6Qly_15

Last edited by uziq (2020-10-22 16:17:46)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Black people in America are a quite a few generations removed from Africa, they're still living the tribal lifestyle as if they were in a third-world war-zone.
They're regressing not progressing, same for many black communities in the UK.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-10-22 16:19:35)

uziq
+492|3444
you're progressing pretty well yourself, aren't you? what are you doing again that reflects the great glory of your race?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712

Dilbert_X wrote:

Black people in America are a quite a few generations removed from Africa, they're still living the tribal lifestyle as if they were in a third-world war-zone.
They're regressing not progressing, same for many black communities in the UK.
I think the issues in the American black community are twofold:

1. regression of public services and outsourcing of the manufacturing jobs. Low wage service jobs were not good substitutes. Same issue poor white trash though they have less of an excuse since at least they aren't black.

2. Acceptance of poor morals, culture, and violence. I blame the media for a lot of that. Unfortunately calla for reform of the black community comes from flawed or illegitimate sources. And all of the making black people feel bad about themselves won't help get them together unless you fix #1.

This is why we need integralism in America.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

you're progressing pretty well yourself, aren't you? what are you doing again that reflects the great glory of your race?
https://www.navalnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Australia-Accepts-3rd-Final-Hobart-class-Air-Warfare-Destroyer-.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/95/HMAS_Rankin_2006.jpg

https://www.defenceconnect.com.au/images/Greengum-IED.jpg
Larssen
+99|1880

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Aren't most black Europeans from Africa or a generation removed from Africa? That's problematic especially when they are Muslim. Black Americans meanwhile are almost totally Americanized and Christian. We shouldn't let our issues with black people in the U.S. and black people in Europe cross streams. Two different issues. Same with illegal immigration/migration.
Well yes and I argued that when BLM first entered the European sphere as well. I'm now more understanding of it as a general rallying cry against racism with different issues/contexts to it in different countries, but I'm still a little wary of the cross cultural 'contamination'. The americanisation of our dialogue and eager use of american racial terms that are specific to a US context doesn't sit well with me, at all.
uziq
+492|3444
so your argument for our super civilisation is that we have better war-making capabilities?

strange benchmark for civilisation, m8.
uziq
+492|3444

Larssen wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Well yes and I argued that when BLM first entered the European sphere as well. I'm now more understanding of it as a general rallying cry against racism with different issues/contexts to it in different countries, but I'm still a little wary of the cross cultural 'contamination'. The americanisation of our dialogue and eager use of american racial terms that are specific to a US context doesn't sit well with me, at all.
i mean, it's only right that you educated yourself a bit there. at first you thought there was never any police violence towards black people outside of the US context, and made out that europe/the UK were some sort of harmonious la-la-land. there's been long histories of very racist and discriminatory policing in western europe. your 'contamination' is their 'building solidarity'.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712

Larssen wrote:

Well yes and I argued that when BLM first entered the European sphere as well. I'm now more understanding of it as a general rallying cry against racism
Good.
Larssen
+99|1880

uziq wrote:

Larssen wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

i mean, it's only right that you educated yourself a bit there. at first you thought there was never any police violence towards black people outside of the US context, and made out that europe/the UK were some sort of harmonious la-la-land. there's been long histories of very racist and discriminatory policing in western europe. your 'contamination' is their 'building solidarity'.
I never stated there's no racism in Europe at all, my point was that race relations and dynamics are a bit different in the absence of a 300 year history of in-country slavery and strict segregation (in all aspects of society). As you stated above, and it's true for all European countries, their black populations only really came here after WW2. It's not like we've designed our highway system and cities to racially separate the population or other stuff like that. The police forces in general are also several orders of magnitude less violent than the americans.

But yes there still is racism, of course. What's interesting here is that the crowd is generally more non-black at European BLM (which makes sense as black people are a tiny part of minority populations in most countries)
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712
Europe and the U.S. should restrict the immigration of non-Christian Africans and Middle Eastern people while also doing more to assimilate the ones already living in the West into Western Civilization. Expand benefits and social support to them but also force them to change their names and religion. Mohammod al-Golani? No! You are now Mark Graves. Tyrek Johnson? No! You are now Thomas Johnson. Sunni Islam?! No! You are now a Lutheran.

We convert the mosque into churches and reeducate anyone who opposes the whole project.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

so your argument for our super civilisation is that we have better war-making capabilities?

si vis pacem parabellum

Two fun facts:

Units we made for the submarine had to be redesignated from 'Master-Slave' to 'Primary-Secondary' to avoid offending black people, even though we don't have any.

Units we made for the Army had to be changed from 'Bluegum' to 'Greengum', to avoid offending black people, even though we don't have any, and even though a bluegum is an australian tree.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

si vis pacem parabellum
Homo homini lupus
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Re: lamenting the inevitable fade of master/slave lingo in engineering. TL;DR language changes to suit the times and old farts get grouchy about it.

'Master' and 'slave': Tech terms face scrutiny amid anti-racism efforts
https://www.cnet.com/news/master-and-sl … m-efforts/

I'm all for renaming stuff if it helps reduce confusion, awkwardness, and makes things easier to translate. Even before the woke days of the internet I was slightly uncomfortable with master/slave in just computing.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712
SSDs are clearly the master drives.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
We can't use 'throttle' and 'choke' either.

How is that supposed to work?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Obviously the ideal phrasing would be Master/Blaster.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Or 'Male' and 'Female'

If a plug identifies as female does that make it a socket?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Homo homini lupus
I'm sure the chinese have an expression in which they're the wolf.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard