uziq
+492|3423
road signs? you mean those things that come in text-free symbols?

do taxi and uber drivers not use GPS in australia or what?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6077|eXtreme to the maX
GPS can't read road signs or traffic lights no.
https://live.staticflickr.com/7120/7690161558_16994a01c3_n.jpg

I'd assess the greek guy as having lived here since WW2 without bothering to learn to read.

This one causes immense confusion for asians.

https://www.mynrma.com.au/-/media/motoring-education/keep-left-unless-overtaking.jpg

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-10-07 18:20:23)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3423
there is something very wilfully stupid about designating potentially life saving information in text. the U.K. highway system doesn’t work like that. roads are used by international freight and logistics companies, dilbert; the lifeblood of many national economies depends upon this sort of traffic. why would you communicate things in a text-based language? i’m sorry but that’s more grievously dumb than any greek man.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

If they can't read it they can at least be expected to recognize it when it occurs so often. I agree pictorials are more universal, but some ideas are just better (and more quickly) conveyed with words than a convoluted diagram. Maybe put a second sign up above the first if it's a problem, I dunno.

I kind of feel bad for the hypothetical Greek man, unable to read English for so long in a country where it would be so useful.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

there is something very wilfully stupid about designating potentially life saving information in text. the U.K. highway system doesn’t work like that. roads are used by international freight and logistics companies, dilbert; the lifeblood of many national economies depends upon this sort of traffic. why would you communicate things in a text-based language? i’m sorry but that’s more grievously dumb than any greek man.
You don't even drive though eh? There are plenty of text based signs in the UK.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Probably wouldn't hurt to at least learn some word recognition in a country you're visiting even if your reading comprehension is otherwise abysmally low. Like if I'm in Russia and run into a cherry red sign with УБЬЕТ printed in giant letters, I'll probably stay away. I can't pronounce it but do recognize it as a serious warning.
uziq
+492|3423

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

You don't even drive though eh? There are plenty of text based signs in the UK.
all important information is conveyed in signs. normally with red borders and distinctive shapes. signs which are also reflective and glow. that’s because we aren’t retarded.

good job though at conveying vital life-saving information as thin black text on a white background. i’m sure it works brilliantly on a sunny day at 90kmph.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Australia has tons of signs with pictures, including ones with kangaroo like the ones we have for deer in the 'states. The two above aren't so much "critically life-saving" as they're telling you to go ahead and do these things so you don't annoy other drivers and maybe police.

It's a weird argument, but I guess tit-for-tat on dilbert's weird arguments. Black on white text is nice so you don't saturate the roadside with brightly colored-signs and diminish more important information (like wrong way).

I'm all for an expansion of language learning resources, but I believe a language should be learned with benefits in mind, rather than some punishment or shunning hanging over one's head.

e: lol,

There are Roads in Australia that are So Boring they Have Trivia Signs to Keep Drivers Alert
https://twistedsifter.com/2017/08/trivi … australia/
uziq
+492|3423
yes but overtaking protocols and the use of lanes differs by country. what’s more effective, text or a simple diagram? make u think.

i am quite sure a country of australia’s scale doesn’t struggle much with an excess of signage or ‘cluttered’ visual fields.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

People should learn the traffic laws where they drive and be mindful to not slip into old habits. Unless they can claim diplomatic immunity when they head-on vs. a teenage motorcyclist and flee back to America.

Gave the president another chance to overuse the word "tremendous" at least.

Trump, on October 9, said he spoke to Johnson on the phone about the incident. “We’re going to speak to her very shortly and see if we can do something. It was an accident, a terrible accident,” Trump told reporters. “We’re going to speak with her and see what we can come up with, so that there can be some healing. “There’s tremendous anger over it. It’s a terrible incident, there’s tremendous anger, and I understand the anger from the other side.”
I don't have the stats in front of me but I imagine I'd be more likely to get in a wreck caused by an American driver than a visitor from Germany or Nunavit.
uziq
+492|3423
yep i was thinking of that incident.

if only everyone involved was made to speak perfect english!

Last edited by uziq (2020-10-07 23:30:35)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

It's not her fault your traffic signs were written in a horrible, English accent.
uziq
+492|3423
afaik she was probably medicated. she had some similar things several times before.

at this point it’s basically a given that an american will be pilled up to the eyeballs.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

There's probably a pill for that.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

If only there was some visual indication.

Mute this.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

all important information is conveyed in signs. normally with red borders and distinctive shapes. signs which are also reflective and glow. that’s because we aren’t retarded.
Please find a pictogram which conveys the above information, not that it would be needed if people learned the road rules in the first place, which asians typically don't.

good job though at conveying vital life-saving information as thin black text on a white background. i’m sure it works brilliantly on a sunny day at 90kmph.
Those are normal driving conditions in Australia.
uziq
+492|3423

Dilbert_X wrote:

Please find a pictogram which conveys the above information, not that it would be needed if people learned the road rules in the first place, which asians typically don't.

https://live.staticflickr.com/7120/7690161558_16994a01c3_n.jpg
https://assets.digital.cabinet-office.gov.uk/media/55ba11ffe5274a151e000030/sign-giving-order-turn-left-ahead.jpg

? ? ?

blue/circular signs for positive instructions, red/triangle signs for warnings, etc. you can convey plenty of information without text, derp.

also i am pretty sure there are signs on the motorway advising which lanes to use to overtake, as well as signs warning against staying in the middle lane. i haven't been on a motorway in years but i'm sure you recall them.

Last edited by uziq (2020-10-08 01:53:46)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Thats not a give way though is it?

You haven't been on a motorway have you. Feel free to find some evidence to back your assertions.

Its in the highway code, there are no signs, even with a massive fucking sign people can't seem to remember not to sit in the right hand lane at 80ks.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

There's going to be information that's just too fiddly for an image to replace text. No turn on red is an easy pictogram of a red signal and a crossed out turn, but how do you differentiate no stopping vs. no parking vs. no standing? Time range? Day exceptions? Do you have to draw clocks and calendars? Pictures are useful and all, but sometimes text is just more efficient. A hybrid of the two is probably healthy, but so is … learning the rules of the road …

uziq
+492|3423

Dilbert_X wrote:

Thats not a give way though is it?

You haven't been on a motorway have you. Feel free to find some evidence to back your assertions.

Its in the highway code, there are no signs, even with a massive fucking sign people can't seem to remember not to sit in the right hand lane at 80ks.
err, there are give way signs in the UK dilbert. they are large red triangles afaik, one of the most basic and common signs. there are even junction signs that specify priority for giving way, based on the thickness of the arrows.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/55b769b2ed915d07e200000b/warning-sign-t-junction-with-priority.jpg

anyway, very stupid conversation. you want all immigrants to learn perfect english so that they can drive? i am not sure, as you just said, that fluency in a language is a requisite for driving safely and to the highway code.

Last edited by uziq (2020-10-08 02:14:54)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
If they can't read English how the fuck are they going to learn the highway code?
uziq
+492|3423
why do we have a highway code and road signs in the first place? it’s an attempt to be more universal and to appeal to people via visual rather than literate means. of course certain things are culturally specific – red doesn’t imply danger or warning in all cultures everywhere etc – but it’s meant to be a mental shorthand. you can use your fucking head to work out what an icon resembling a junction with a big fucking arrow means; it’s deducible by logic; you don’t need a fucking Roget’s thesaurus on your passenger seat.

do you take actual pleasure in being so obtuse about everything? is this like your hobby thesedays?

so you take pleasure in harsher immigration laws because only asians are bad drivers in australia? great thinking!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

The point is to convey information to as many people as possible, like with standards organizations and chemical companies brainstorming hazard logos. But a "you can turn on a red here, so please step on it, but be careful about it" in Slobbaknocka, Australia probably has less urgency than: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/35/Logo_iso_radiation.svg/1024px-Logo_iso_radiation.svg.png

I don't think people should have to be super fluent to drive, certainly not to the level of being able to maintain a long conversation. But at least they could learn some of the stuff they might run into so they aren't befuddled when they run into it. You've got to learn whatever shapes and colors (RIP some colorblind people) a country uses anyway.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Top Federal Reserve officials on Wednesday said the central bank has a clear role to play in fighting the damaging economic effects of racism in the U.S. and should do much more to address it.

Atlanta Fed President Raphael Bostic, Minneapolis Fed President Neel Kashkari and Boston Fed President Eric Rosengren delivered that message in the first of an extraordinary series of planned Fed events focused on race and the economy.

"This is a time for us to not shy away," said Bostic, the first African American to lead a regional Fed bank. "But we need to step forward and be present in this conversation and own that we have a role to play."

The comments from the leading Fed officials were the latest evidence of the central bank's growing attention to persistent inequality in the economy — a gap that appears to be widening during the coronavirus pandemic. Black and Hispanic workers have been hit harder by the economic fallout from the Covid-19 lockdown than white workers.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/0 … omy-427556
That's strange. I like that the Federal Reserve is thinking about inequality though looking at from a racial standpoint first might be the wrong way to go about it. I am worried about this approach alienating some whites who would otherwise be open to doing more to fight inequality but I am also well aware that the white republicans who would be most offended by this hate the Federal Reserve, taxation, etc. anyway.

Interesting final part
Kashkari said he had observed a big disconnect between how business viewed the labor market and workers viewed the labor market.

"Frankly, business had it wrong. Business kept saying, we can't find workers," he said. "And it was nonsense. The workers were out there."
It seems talk about labor shortages in America might actually have something to do with businesses being unwilling to hire the labor available to them because they don't um culturally connect with that labor.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I read a story about someone getting scammed during a craigslist deal. I know some police have set up "safe trade stations". Basically you tell the craigslist or facebook person to meet you at a spot near a police station where you are theoretically protected from a robbery or scam. This seems like a good setup in times when the economy is shot and we should be doing more recycling. 

Okay so I looked it up and my city doesn't have one of these set up. I think it would be a great idea though. Major problem : How would I go about suggesting this be put into practice? School boards and city councils have open sessions where the community gets to interact with them. The police have no such system. We can complain about the schools, and trash pickup days but have no way to petition our police. The local school board and city council members are all over social media interacting with the community. The police are nowhere to be seen. Not even sure who the chief is.

This seems like a major problem that goes beyond police shootings. And it is unfortunate that white-black racial grievances prevents genuine reform like regular scheduled town halls from taking place.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard