unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

Black Woman Says She Was Naked And On Her Period When California Deputies Arrested Her In Her Front Yard
https://blavity.com/black-woman-says-sh … gory1=news

embedded tweet wrote:

#ICYMI Black woman in #Lancaster forced outside naked while on period by #LACounty sheriffs.  Deputies claim they had a warrant for her brother--but he was already in custody in #SouthLA. They also made her 13 y/o sister go outside w/out a shirt on. #LASD #BlackWomen
Naked and Bleeding: One Woman’s Story of What Happened When the Sheriff’s Came Through Her Front Door
https://medium.com/@jcannick/naked-and- … 291d06ac42

Jane Doe says that her dropping to the ground was viewed as resisting by the deputies, so they flipped her over and forced onto her stomach. A group of deputies came and jumped on top of her, touching her breasts and private areas in the process. She says deputies also retaliated against her for telling her son and sister not to talk to them.

[...]

To add insult to injury, Jane Doe was arrested and charged with three counts of resisting arrest.

She says a detective gave her an ultimatum at the Lancaster sheriff’s station — either sign a document agreeing that she was illegally recording the deputies in her house and that they can have a copy of the recording or get maced.

Weighing the consequences of being maced while being handcuffed, Jane Doe chose to sign the paperwork.

When she was given her phone back, most of the video she had captured at the beginning of the incident was missing. The video was edited to just capture deputies throwing the blanket over her head.

On top of that, she was never given a copy of the documents she was forced to sign under duress.
I've been called unreasonable on this forum for asking Hollis for his insight on police activity. I suppose I would be unreasonable here too. But if he was still posting, I wouldn't expect anything much further beyond "I don't have all the evidence on hand, so they were probably the spitting image of grace and professionalism and that she was probably being entitled, obnoxious, and ungrateful."

“My son remembers that day. Even though’s he was five-year-old, he will never forget it. He told me, “Mama, I remember they pointed their guns at me, and I thought I was going to die.”
uziq
+492|3450
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EdJ-RABXoAA3KX-?format=jpg&name=large

new york police union boss has a QAnon mug in the background.

ahahaha and BLM are the problem.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

I think the qanon wikipedia page has a picture of a swat guy with a qanon patch.

Also,

'Disturbing' texts between Oregon police and far-right group prompt investigation
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/di … on-n972161

Could dig up links to connections between cops, cop bosses, and far-right/alt-right all day.

Bizarre sort of chemistry, considering plenty in the latter group hate police.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6103|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

because there's nothing 'brutal' about death-by-cop and nothing brutalizing about 300 years of slavery, is there?

unfortunately the trademark on 'all lives matter' was taken out by a bunch of balding smug white racists, so it's out of the question. too bad.
Slavery did end 150 years ago, how much longer is this going to be an issue?

From my reading 'all lives matter' was widely used until the BLM group decided they didn't like it.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3450
'widely used'? both of these terms trace back to 2015. it's part of the same culture war and the divisions were drawn very quickly.

https://i.imgur.com/520Szcz.png

perhaps 'your reading' isn't indexed by google? i guess there is a whole lot of 'the literatoor' that takes place in angry newspaper comment sections, and on facebook.

you know, all you've done on this forum for about a week is make wildly inaccurate, plainly ignorant statements. it's not hard for you to even do the most cursory research. 'graffiti has not been a tolerated feature of society since ancient rome'.

you're so wrong on these things, and so stubborn, that it's almost impressive. and, just think, it's so easy to actually correct your ignorance: all you have to do is shut the fuck up for once in your life and listen to someone else's experience, complaints other than your own.

Slavery did end 150 years ago, how much longer is this going to be an issue?
isn't it rather the institution of the police, with their long entwined history with the institution of slavery, which has to work to not make it an issue anymore? or is it the african-americans' fault who get kneeled on, and thrown into the ground and made to fear for their lives at routine traffic stops? which group here has unreconstructed values from the slavery era? which group hasn't 'moved on' in their attitudes?

Last edited by uziq (2020-07-18 01:03:03)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Wow thats an amazing single point infographic - BLM wasn't a thing in the 1840s? Amazing, I'm sure numerous history grad students toiled into the night to discover that.

Anyway, weren't your precious Roman and Greek civilisations built exclusively on the backs of slaves?
Maybe all their 'graffiti' was done by ethnics back then

Makes u think

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-07-18 02:19:29)

uziq
+492|3450
it's google's ngram, which indexes all mentions of a term, which i clipped in 15 secs. i hardly need to adjust the timeline and smoothing of the results to make the simple fucking point. good job, pedant. maybe if i trimmed the imgur grab before uploading it, it would have made a more unassailable argument?

ancient civilizations aren't 'precious' to me. it tends to be right-wing types like yourself (or, at any rate, cultural conservatives) who truss them up as some 'golden age' from whence the decline narratives perilously fall. i certainly don't think ancient rome was any sort of civic ideal. but you making out that 'graffiti' came along with the 'barbarians' is stupid and illiterate. english people have graffiti'd their environment for the entire history of these islands.

it is common knowledge - er, you can read the inscriptions - that the graffiti seen in roman cities was done by romans, i.e. citizens. do you even know what that category entails?

it really is something watching you insult 'history grad students' on the one hand and make the most silly, fundamental, sub-schoolboy historical errors on the other. you are textbook ignorant. i feel sorry for you. a little bit of reading, patient learning, the will to understand, etc, could solve a lot of your negativity, frustration, and fear.

Last edited by uziq (2020-07-18 03:47:38)

Larssen
+99|1885
Ancient rome was pretty fucked up. It makes for juicy history but damn, even the rich and succesful got dismembered and murdered left and right.

Also I'm of the opinion that for public servants and those with political aspirations a history degree is probably the best you could pick.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-07-18 05:18:44)

uziq
+492|3450
dilbert thinks human society is one formula or computer model away from being solved, for good. and he thinks that engineers (such as himself, who has no toxic ideology or irrationalism or blindspots whatsoever) are to be the benign and benevolent overseers of such a society. ran on strictly rational, calculated terms, of course. logical. because society is a computer, basically, or a machine, or, er, well everything is reducible to data points and information at any rate.

we can learn nothing from history because dilbert's expert technocracy will be governed by iron and immutable laws. just like life itself, you see. history is contingent but dilbert is apodictic. he barely needs to trouble himself with arbitration and nuancing between positions. dilbert's outlook is a priori. with his deep and extensive knowledge of everything he can perceive the universal. what do you mean jews weren't from egypt? what does that have to do with israel, anyway? go away with your historical facts! i am an engineer!!! i solve problems!!!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
So on the one hand you think everyone should do what technocratic experts like Fauci tells them, on the other you think technocrats are fascists and morons and countries should be run by history and literature graduates because you're one based on their stellar track records.

https://media.npr.org/assets/img/2019/07/23/gettyimages-1157399160_wide-2dba9baaf34c3698802276744501ed10d56fef8b-s800-c85.jpg

https://assets.bwbx.io/images/users/iqjWHBFdfxIU/i1ojVuGqOrqc/v1/1000x-1.jpg

https://s.marketwatch.com/public/resources/images/MW-IC823_fauci_ZG_20200323100950.jpg

That and the world shouldn't be run according to democratic principles and basic human rights, it should be directed according to millenia-old fairy stories and what in-bred cultists want.

https://static.timesofisrael.com/www/uploads/2020/03/F200308YS59-1-e1594559412510.jpg

Glad you've made that all very clear, thanks.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-07-18 19:27:24)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

Honestly dilbert, you have one of the most brattish, cherry-picked, and narrow views of history and its study that I've ever had the misfortune to hear.

What about all the Nazi scientists and doctors? Oh crud, better not listen to anyone from STEM and med school.

Why did Nazi doctors break their 'hippocratic' oaths?
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl … 4-0065.pdf
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I'm going on current performance

Also

https://i.imgur.com/zVUDEqj.jpg

So slavery is a crime and anyone (white) tangentially associated with it must pilloried forever

Except slavery was acceptable at the time and anyone (black) involved in it was just working to the standards of the day, we should let bygones be bygones and remember the good they also did

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-53444752
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

You are such a victim.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
"DoN't JuDgE hIStOrICaL FiGuReS bY tOdAy's StAnDaRds" only even seems to get brought up to defend the slavery or racism of someone in the past and almost nothing else. White men are almost always the ones getting defended too. The fact that Dilbert found some black girl saying the same thing about her culture (maybe?) is unimpressive.

My two complaints are:

First, it's cultural relativism in defense of them worst parts of human behavior. If you accept that there is black and white, good and evil, you can't write off the sins of some historical figures past. And there were many people even in the past who were strongly against slavery and racism while those things were institutionalized. Think of people today who are against eating meat. If a 150 years from now eating meat is banned, we can't pretend we never heard arguments against it.

Secondly slavery as practiced in the new world was different than slavery practice by the Greeks, Romans, Jews, Muslims and Africans. Western colonial slavery was the harshest and most cruel of all those systems. Black slaves had the least rights or defense of all people in all of those systems. The slavery referenced in the Bible is not the same kind of slavery as practiced in North America.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3450

Dilbert_X wrote:

So on the one hand you think everyone should do what technocratic experts like Fauci tells them, on the other you think technocrats are fascists and morons and countries should be run by history and literature graduates because you're one based on their stellar track records.

That and the world shouldn't be run according to democratic principles and basic human rights, it should be directed according to millenia-old fairy stories and what in-bred cultists want.

Glad you've made that all very clear, thanks.
nope, never said any of that. ‘thanks’.

i pointed out, as is clear for everyone to see here, dipshit, that your ‘technocratic’ governance is ITSELF a contingent, historical set of beliefs, that what you treat as ‘objective’ political rule is just another set of assumptions associated with your own historical present; and alluded to the fact that technocrats, engineers and ‘experts’ with politics such as your own have taken society off a cliff several times in the 20th century. the number of technocratic elites who have taken their societies into inhuman atrocities, factory-line murder, eugenics, mass-scale famine and failures of central planning, etc. is very long.

science does not give us a political guidebook. it has very little crossover with politics, which involves ethics and history as much as ‘iron laws’. what you promote is in fact scienTISM, a sort of weak-piss politics with scientific-sounding flim-flam but which really masks and justifies your own political outlook. well that isn’t everyone’s political outlook, and you saying, ‘it’s the experts, stupid’ or ‘it’s engineering, duh’ doesn’t convince anyone. people of your ilk have been trying to appropriate ‘expertise’, ‘benign technocracy’, ‘reasonable thinking’, and, of course, ‘common sense’ for as long as politics itself. it’s a form of rhetoric and a discourse in itself.

i do believe in experience and expertise. fauci is an expert and i listen to what he has to say on disease spreads and epidemiology. when he starts pronouncing on the merits of history degrees or talking about african-americans' right to protest, then i know i’m dealing with an ideologue and not an ‘expert’. somehow i doubt that’ll happen, because he’s an educated and intelligent man, which involves recognizing the expertise of others; that’s probably why he’s had a successful public career and you’re living at home making nonsense-statements about subjects you know zilch about. i wonder if fauci has any hot takes about roman street art?

your view of history, like most of the world, really, is that of an intellectual cripple. it’s like you can’t contain several complex and nuanced ideas at once. ‘england has a ruling class that produces mediocre public schoolboys who quote latin and govern for their mates’ MUST equal ‘everyone who has the same degree as them is a danger to society’. wow amazing logic. such reasoning!

read a fucking book.

Last edited by uziq (2020-07-19 02:47:01)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I would still pick someone who is an expert is something and has a basic grounding in many things over someone who has no skills, knowledge or useful experience in anything at all but still thinks they're like super clever.

Based on the last 20 years of UK politics I'd say my premise that eton toffs with humanities degrees from oxferd are a bunch of morons is still reasonable.
uziq
+492|3450
but in many aspects of governance, knowledge of history IS expertise.

who is this mythical person who has 'basic grounding in many things'. do you mean an engineer in his garden shed? your dad, with his knowledge of wisden's cricket guide and fishing knots? why can't a person with a good education also have grounding in many things? it's just such a specious idea, this 'technocracy' you advocate for. 'people with commonsense and real-world experience'. you mean like trump? how about alan sugar? should we hand over the government to a guy who built a computer company? is your vision of technocratic government basically 'dragon's den', dilbert?

the last 20 years? tony blair didn't go to eton. neither did gordon brown (not oxbridge either). neither did theresa may. john major and thatcher before that were 'technocratic' grammar school types; one didn't even go to university, and the other had a science degree.

who is leading the UK off the cliff of brexit? nigel farage and co.? not a bunch of oxbridge etonians. funded, in fact, by nouveau riche thatcherite wankers like arron banks. entrepreneurs and private sector experts, no? who funded the anti-EU populist parties for the last 20-30 years? a bunch of city bankers, merchants, and ideologues? alan sked?

how about the role of the tabloid media in all of this? they have had just as much of an influence over electoral politics as the no. 10 executives they're in cahoots with. murdoch has had a much bigger impact on british political life than anyone with an oxferd english degree. do you really think a tiny mandarin elite of toffs have so much control?

it's almost like you have some irrational obsession and talk absolute claptrap.

Last edited by uziq (2020-07-19 03:26:42)

Larssen
+99|1885

SuperJail Warden wrote:

"DoN't JuDgE hIStOrICaL FiGuReS bY tOdAy's StAnDaRds" only even seems to get brought up to defend the slavery or racism of someone in the past and almost nothing else. White men are almost always the ones getting defended too. The fact that Dilbert found some black girl saying the same thing about her culture (maybe?) is unimpressive.
The moral character of historical figures is really only ever a hot issue if it's about european colonialism. The only busts/statues that are being attacked are of people who were involved in that history, of course invariably being white people. The fact that this sparks heated debate doesn't automatically mean some are trying to defend racism or are being racist...

Ultimately that history is also an undeniable part of western societies. Many colonial figures weren't one dimensional evildoers. It gets complicated with people like winston churchill for example. Is he a national hero for his role in WW2 or a 'disgrace' who should be banished to museums and no longer spoken of because of his actions in the empire at large (notably india & south africa)? What also makes it difficult is that the history of empire was looked back upon with pride for a long time - with tales of daring & intrepid adventurers being passed down generations. Or how the wealth, riches and comfort in the west are ultimately the result of those expeditions and conquests. Was it all evil, was it genius worthy of praise? We have a continent full of museums filled with stuff from the colonies. So of course when a new generation comes who rejects all that, it will cause controversy.

Lastly it's not an unreasonable question to ask how or why that time in history would be so much more vile than any other. On the one hand many amateurs and people interested in the past speak highly of people like Caesar, Genghis Khan, Mansa Musa, Salladin, the crusaders, yet will just as readily spit at colonial figures. On balance the aformentioned historical heroes have presided over unimaginable suffering of others as well, some arguably even worse than what the conquistadors did (though of all colonisers these guys were undeniably the worst bunch).

As a side comment I think what we're seeing is a slow dismantling of the concept of national identity and its building blocks. A history of us vs. them and the defining of a people through its struggles against 'the others' becomes rather controversial when 'we' and the descendants of 'the others' all live in the same country and hold the same passport. We're moving on.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-07-19 03:34:47)

uziq
+492|3450
the above really isn't true, considering in america it's invoked all the time over the civil war/slavery era, and still happens today over legacies of figures like ataturk in turkey, for instance. or how about the reckoning with the past endured by russians over stalin? germany and its post-war past? china and mao? cambodia/vietnam today? it's not like historiography is silent on reappraising the morals of antecedents outside of the european-colonial context.

what does seem to be present in many european contexts, which doesn't still obtain in germany w/r/t ww2, for instance, is that we've kept up monuments and statues to these people, where in other countries they were silently taken down or thrown away in uprisings years ago. it's really not some 'oh, the poor white european is being exclusively picked on' situation.

we readily criticize, for instance, serbs not teaching the 'truth' of srebrenica and who still put up murals and name streets after mladic and co. we criticize and furrow our brow at japan not teaching the 'truth' of their actions in ww2, and tut-tut at them for not taking responsibility for their imperial atrocities and crimes. but how many british schoolchildren are taught about famines in india? camps in africa? the answer is none. we do not reckon with these parts of our past; the dominant ideology, of 'the empire was a jolly old adventure!' is still the one in the culture.

Last edited by uziq (2020-07-19 03:41:06)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I'd say someone with a good grounding in Maths and Statistics and reasonable knowledge of science would be in a much better position to get a grip on most things than someone who can precis poetry, read latin or tell you what Attila the Hun got up to.

I was thinking of Cameron, Johnson and Cummings mostly. Blair was a lawyer and we know what they stand for.

Theresa May:

May attended the University of Oxford, read geography at St Hugh's College, and graduated with a second class BA degree in 1977
Blair went to Oxferd, Brown did a degree in history.

Obviously there's never going to be perfect data, but on the average it does seem to be that people who studied arts subjects at Oxferd have very high opinions of themselves and very little ability.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Larssen wrote:

how the wealth, riches and comfort in the west are ultimately the result of those expeditions and conquests.
It would be interesting to know if that were really true.
I bet the industrial age eclipsed that by many orders of magnitude.
Larssen
+99|1885

uziq wrote:

the above really isn't true, considering in america it's invoked all the time over the civil war/slavery era, and still happens today over legacies of figures like ataturk in turkey, for instance. or how about the reckoning with the past endured by russians over stalin? germany and its post-war past? china and mao? cambodia/vietnam today? it's not like historiography is silent on reappraising the morals of antecedents outside of the european-colonial context.

what does seem to be present in many european contexts, which doesn't still obtain in germany w/r/t ww2, for instance, is that we've kept up monuments and statues to these people, where in other countries they were silently taken down or thrown away in uprisings years ago. it's really not some 'oh, the poor white european is being exclusively picked on' situation.
Mao is still a national hero in China and has his face plastered everywhere. Most russians will compassionately tell you how Stalin was the right man for the job and the excesses a necessary sacrifice. Ataturk, well, modern Turkey kinda rejects his western preference. But I was specifically talking about reappraisals in the west wrt western history, today almost exclusively centred on colonial figures. Who are of course white. That we reject historical figures of other societies isn't what I'm highlighting.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-07-19 03:47:10)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

I'd say someone with a good grounding in Maths and Statistics and reasonable knowledge of science would be in a much better position to get a grip on most things than someone who can precis poetry, read latin or tell you what Attila the Hun got up to.
Sounds like bunk to me.

If a cellular biology PhD started bragging about how he could run the country by virtue of science, I'd be a little skeptical. A number of scientists aren't very confident spouting off about something outside their expertise without at least the "I'm no expert, outside my field, correct me if I'm wrong, etc." disclaimer, if they comment at all.

I would be extremely skeptical of an 'algebra' teacher running for city council on the grounds that his subject made him more qualified than his 'local history' colleague.
uziq
+492|3450

Dilbert_X wrote:

I was thinking of Cameron, Johnson and Cummings mostly. Blair was a lawyer and we know what they stand for.

Theresa May:

May attended the University of Oxford, read geography at St Hugh's College, and graduated with a second class BA degree in 1977
Blair went to Oxferd, Brown did a degree in history.

Obviously there's never going to be perfect data, but on the average it does seem to be that people who studied arts subjects at Oxferd have very high opinions of themselves and very little ability.
but maths and statistics don't tell you anything about how to govern a country. they tell you how to manage one, certainly, how to model and maintain one. they're great at running structures efficiently, maybe, and at making small-scale decisions based on data. but at a certain point politics becomes about more than mere 'maintenance' and ticking-over of a state machine. you need ideas, vision, judgment; and you need to react to new events, new global developments, for which there is no established data and statistics. how would a mathematician know how to deal with relations in the middle-east? how to tackle an emergent terrorist threat? how to enact diplomacy on the world stage and maintain relations with several other superpowers? this isn't stuff you put into an excel spreadsheet.

your vision of what politics even IS seems only to serve a very narrow, established status quo. and, even then, it's not entirely desirable. over-rationalizing governance and considering politics a process of ever-more-refined efficiencies and gains is what leads to highly fragile and inflexible states. such as, for instance, what has happened to the NHS/public health england in the face of a pandemic outbreak, after 25 years of 'private enterprise' and 'rationalization' of the system, 'streamlining'. it's not at all clear that a bureaucracy -- and it would only be that, a self-perpetuating bureaucracy -- of accountants and statisticians would react well.

you do know that several countries have tried your mathematicians and engineers lark, right? the soviet union was meant to be ran by an enlightened cadre of technicians. several communistic societies have tried to rationalize and quantify every single bean in the land and to run it through a central computer. it didn't work very well.
uziq
+492|3450

Larssen wrote:

uziq wrote:

Mao is still a national hero in China and has his face plastered everywhere. Most russians will compassionately tell you how Stalin was the right man for the job and the excesses a necessary sacrifice. Ataturk, well, modern Turkey kinda rejects his western preference. But I was specifically talking about reappraisals in the west wrt western history, today almost exclusively centred on colonial figures. Who are of course white.
why is that some particular problem? most western european countries have not reckoned with their imperial past./

yes, stalin might be back in favour now in russia, but they had decades of self-questioning, the 'secret' of the soviets was out, glasnost/perestroika, etc. they went through that process. many western countries never have. the schoolchildren are still not told the 'truth' of empire and the national past is still some rosy story of adventure and glory.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard