SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3711

Jay wrote:

I have no idea. The insurance probably doesn't even exist right now. I guarantee it will be bargained out in the next CBA if it gets enacted.
I think a lot of departments would just cover the entire cost or portion of the cost like other employers buy group healthcare insurance plans. I am hesitant about stripping people of pensions too. Basically I don't want this anti-police moment or whatever forked into an attack on all public workers.

I think civilian oversight boards are a good reform to make. School boards have to have scheduled public meetings every month or so. There is no reason why the police internal management is a black box. Many school boards are elected too. It is somewhat of a militarist system to have the police chief the subordinate of a singular mayor.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5349|London, England

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

I have no idea. The insurance probably doesn't even exist right now. I guarantee it will be bargained out in the next CBA if it gets enacted.
I think a lot of departments would just cover the entire cost or portion of the cost like other employers buy group healthcare insurance plans. I am hesitant about stripping people of pensions too. Basically I don't want this anti-police moment or whatever forked into an attack on all public workers.

I think civilian oversight boards are a good reform to make. School boards have to have scheduled public meetings every month or so. There is no reason why the police internal management is a black box. Many school boards are elected too. It is somewhat of a militarist system to have the police chief the subordinate of a singular mayor.
Departments cover professional liability insurance right up until it becomes too expensive. If I have too many fuckups, my insurance rates will skyrocket. If I had an employer covering it, they might think twice about keeping me employed.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3711

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

Departments cover professional liability insurance right up until it becomes too expensive. If I have too many fuckups, my insurance rates will skyrocket. If I had an employer covering it, they might think twice about keeping me employed.
I understand your logic but I would again point out that the American police institution functions in its own way that often contradict how any other group works whether it in public service or the private sector. The police have a habit of holding onto problematic employees even though in any other business or public service such workers would be removed. I can see American police lobbying for more money or finding ways to make up fines in order to pay for some problematic cop's higher insurance premium rather than getting rid of the chief's drinking buddy.

How do you feel about my civilian review board idea? If you like it, should they be allowed to fire officers? Do you think the police force should be separated from the control of mayors?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I understand your logic but I would again point out that the American police institution functions in its own way that often contradict how any other group works whether it in public service or the private sector. The police have a habit of holding onto problematic employees even though in any other business or public service such workers would be removed. I can see American police lobbying for more money or finding ways to make up fines in order to pay for some problematic cop's higher insurance premium rather than getting rid of the chief's drinking buddy.

How do you feel about my civilian review board idea? If you like it, should they be allowed to fire officers? Do you think the police force should be separated from the control of mayors?
Sure, and grade school teachers should not be granted tenure.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6097|eXtreme to the maX
Hey guys, I just had this great idea.

What if every citizen had to carry rape insurance? Wait hear me out on this.

What if everyone had to have rape insurance, if for some reason they started thinking about raping someone they'd immediately think:

"wait a minute, if I rape someone then my rape insurance premium will go up, I'll lose my no-rape discount, I'll go down from platinum to bronze rape cover, and if I want to change insurance provider they'll ask "have you committed any rapes in the last five years" and I'll have to say "yes, yes I have, does that affect my premium?" and they'll say "yes unfortunately it does, sorry about that sir" and so probably I think its all not worth it and I'm going to give up on this rape idea because thinking about my budget over the next five to ten years I can't really afford it especially if I might want to get married which is expensive what with the suits and the cakes and all"
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3443
the free market and insurance companies can fix crime.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Of course they can, in fact they are the only things which can, are you stupid.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

What if everyone had to have rape insurance, if for some reason they started thinking about raping someone they'd immediately think:

"wait a minute, if I rape someone then my rape insurance premium will go up, I'll lose my no-rape discount, I'll go down from platinum to bronze rape cover, and if I want to change insurance provider they'll ask "have you committed any rapes in the last five years" and I'll have to say "yes, yes I have, does that affect my premium?" and they'll say "yes unfortunately it does, sorry about that sir" and so probably I think its all not worth it and I'm going to give up on this rape idea because thinking about my budget over the next five to ten years I can't really afford it especially if I might want to get married which is expensive what with the suits and the cakes and all"
Do the principals of your design firm carry professional liability insurance? Why do they do that? Why don't they just make their workers stop making errors?

Last edited by Jay (2020-07-07 07:09:05)

-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
This has other benefits as well. Normally, the city gets sued for tens of millions of dollars annually. Some are legitimate, many are frivolous. Right now, standard protocol is to simply settle the lawsuits. If the police were on the hook to pay for the liability insurance increases, maybe more of these lawsuits would actually be defended rather than settled.
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3711
Should we make all public workers carry liability insurance? Should we make all workers?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Should we make all public workers carry liability insurance? Should we make all workers?
Most workers don't have power over life and limb. Cops do. So do doctors. So do engineers.
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jay wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Do the principals of your design firm carry professional liability insurance? Why do they do that? Why don't they just make their workers stop making errors?
Why am I liable for manslaughter? Why can't insurance cover it?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Since this is also a thread where police culture gets called into question sometimes, twitter anecdote:

Want to know why it’s so hard for #cops to be ‘good apples’...

It was 2007 and I was assisting a call with an officer I’d never met before. He was from another team working overtime. Right in front of me he broke a kids nose with a punch. The septum was clearly deviated and
Story concludes after a number of posts in the thread. tl;dr, how whistleblowers are treated.

https://twitter.com/mobinfiltrator/stat … 1142223872
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6728|Oxferd Ohire
How about black NFL and NBA players agreeing with an NFL player quoting Hitler in an anti-Semitic Instagram post.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3711
They should be fired.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

I thought it being a Hitler quote was fake news.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6728|Oxferd Ohire
It wasn't a Hitler quite but he attributed it to him. And the guy loves nation of Islam

Last edited by RTHKI (2020-07-09 03:37:18)

https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

RTHKI wrote:

How about black NFL and NBA players agreeing with an NFL player quoting Hitler in an anti-Semitic Instagram post.
Historically jews have been and probably still are the worst racists.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6684

Dilbert_X wrote:

RTHKI wrote:

Historically jews have been and probably still are the worst racists.
Examples?
uziq
+492|3443
dilbert thinks the jews were actually from egypt. he is probably going to cite a bunch of equally mythical 'genocides' from the old testament.

remember, it's a reliable factual document when it suits the atheists.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Its a reliable factual document when the jews use it to claim ownership of Palestine.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6684
I understand you’re upset about Palestinian apartheid. It upsets me too. But shall we forget the legacy of European (Christian) colonialism and oppression on 5 continents? Seems to encompass a larger portion of history.
uziq
+492|3443

Dilbert_X wrote:

Its a reliable factual document when the jews use it to claim ownership of Palestine.
well, unfortunately for you, the ancient kingdoms of judea and the history of the jewish people do place them in that region. they're not outcasts from pharaoanic egypt, as you like to portray them. i don't disagree with you w/r/t israel's role in palestine and occupied territories today, but you can stop pretending the jews are some egyptian occupying force; that would be helpful.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6684
Yes there is a clear archaeological record of Jews in the levant. Hebrew is a Semitic language. Jews were living along side Palestinian Arabs for centuries. Have you nothing to say for the Arab/Muslim conquests of the Middle East, North Africa and South Asia either?

It does sadden me that Jews cannot find a way to collectively heal from the trauma we’ve suffered- like many other peoples have suffered- and instead pass down that trauma onto the people of Palestine. My folks didn’t flee Europe because they were racists, that’s for sure...

Last edited by Superior Mind (2020-07-09 05:44:57)

uziq
+492|3443
even without archeological records, there is clear philological link to the levant and middle-east. it’s clear that hebrew and aramaic peoples were in the region, perhaps even coming from the desert in the east. dilbert’s elementary mistake about jew’s origins says all you need to know about that branch of anti-semites. they don’t even know what semitic cultures are !

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard