Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5349|London, England
I'll go back in time and give your thoughtful advice to 19 year old me. Thank you all.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3443
i have never heard of a student or even employee leaving their course or workplace because of < 1 month's illness.

i got arrested, evicted, and crashed out at the end of my second-year's summer term. i did not interrupt my studies. i recovered my footing and took my summer exams with everyone else.

jay you are a really funny guy. lmao.

why are you advocating that a bunch of young people go and contract something far worse than pneumonia, when the latter evidently caused such harm and disruption to your own life? are you really in support of a bunch of 20-somethings and 30-somethings quitting school and their job when the 'vid leaves them bed-bound for 3 weeks?

Last edited by uziq (2020-07-02 07:35:10)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3711
Uzique and me recovered from much worse than a flu to finish college. I don't know how you couldn't.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3711
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
https://i.imgur.com/pUteKZE.jpg

Neat. Separate anthems. Separate countries next?

Last edited by Jay (2020-07-02 18:35:46)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Enduring a "black anthem" before a football game seems like peanuts next to being injured or killed at a peaceful protest or at a routine traffic stop.

Playing it before the Star Spangled Banner is probably in bad taste, but so is (for the umpteenth time) shooting a woman in the head with a rubber bullet for carrying groceries home.

IMHO, the national anthem ideally should not be playing at any sports event, at all. It seems tacky and crass. (e: it probably makes sense for armed forces sports, though)
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3711
MAGA people already gave up on the NFL. The NFL might as well just lean into it now.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Squelching forms of peaceful protest that get mass exposure hasn't really been working so far.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6623|949

Jay wrote:

I haven't seen any demands for a "black national anthem" to be played before sporting events. I think the NFL would be better served doing a little bit more listening. Specifically to black people.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3711
I have never even heard of the black national anthem or Juneteenth until recently. I am sure this is all new stuff to most black Americans. Like you would have to take a class on African American history to know this obscure stuff.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Jay wrote:

I haven't seen any demands for a "black national anthem" to be played before sporting events. I think the NFL would be better served doing a little bit more listening. Specifically to black people.
I think they're probably doing a lot of listening right now since, what? 75% of their players are black? Tough to make money if most of your players unite and refuse to play.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Creating their own holidays, anthems, flags, etc really makes it clear the hardcore are choosing to self segregate themselves out of society.
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6623|949

Juneteenth has been around forever. You are angry that black culture is seeping in to mainstream American culture? You are aware that it's mainstream corporate culture reacting, right? Black people want to tear down unjust institutions, reform the police, fight for justice. Capitalist America responds by canceling maple syrup iconography, pulling old movies, pushing for a holiday. Giving token concessions that mean nothing, but upset people like you.. And you have the most ignorant take on it. To be upset about such trivial shit.

Ok boomer.

Italian-Americans created Columbus Day to prove their "Americanness" because other white Europeans in America treated them as less than equal. Black people celebrate a day of freedom, and now that it's gaining wider acceptance, you are upset about it? You fucking snowflake!

I cannot fathom how you could look at this and be upset about it. Instead of welcoming such a celebration, a chance for us to acknowledge one simple moment in history, you accuse them of wanting to self-segregate? Black people have begged, cried, and clawed trying to become a part of the broader American narrative, and it's barricades like your mindset above that contributes to their inability. Then you have the audacity to accuse them of wanting to be segregated? You are fucking C L U E L E S S. Get some perspective and think about someone other than yourself.

There is no flag associated with black culture. You know who does have a flag? Policemen. Funny how you omit that from your criticism, isn't it?
uziq
+492|3443
jay went off the deep end a long time ago. in a quite literal way i think he has lost his sense.
Larssen
+99|1879
Assumes there was any good sense. How anyone can still be undecided on Trump is truly beyond me. Where's your critical thinking skills dude
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Seen this image pop up here and there.

https://i.imgur.com/igRvZRW.jpg

Two problems.

1) Reuters
2)

https://i.imgur.com/i2oPQjU.png
uziq
+492|3443
it's quite poetic. a shotgun microphone is a weapon ... FOR JOURNALISTS IN SEARCH OF THE TRUTH!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Juneteenth has been around forever. You are angry that black culture is seeping in to mainstream American culture? You are aware that it's mainstream corporate culture reacting, right? Black people want to tear down unjust institutions, reform the police, fight for justice. Capitalist America responds by canceling maple syrup iconography, pulling old movies, pushing for a holiday. Giving token concessions that mean nothing, but upset people like you.. And you have the most ignorant take on it. To be upset about such trivial shit.

Ok boomer.

Italian-Americans created Columbus Day to prove their "Americanness" because other white Europeans in America treated them as less than equal. Black people celebrate a day of freedom, and now that it's gaining wider acceptance, you are upset about it? You fucking snowflake!

I cannot fathom how you could look at this and be upset about it. Instead of welcoming such a celebration, a chance for us to acknowledge one simple moment in history, you accuse them of wanting to self-segregate? Black people have begged, cried, and clawed trying to become a part of the broader American narrative, and it's barricades like your mindset above that contributes to their inability. Then you have the audacity to accuse them of wanting to be segregated? You are fucking C L U E L E S S. Get some perspective and think about someone other than yourself.

There is no flag associated with black culture. You know who does have a flag? Policemen. Funny how you omit that from your criticism, isn't it?
So I get the reasoning behind Juneteenth. I get that some black people feel excluded from the 4th of July celebrations because Independence Day from the UK didn't really do a whole lot for them. If you're in bondage, why do you care whose flag fly's above you? I get it. I also get why picking the date when slavery semi-officially ended could be considered to be the real birth of a united nation where all people are actually free, and at least nominally, equal. But, is it really inclusive? Because it certainly wasn't celebrated that way, at least in my social media feeds. What I saw were images of the 4th of July crossed out and replaced with Juneteenth. I saw calls for white people to acknowledge their privilege and their racism and to be anti-racist. This probably doesn't bother you at all. You're apparently fully on board. It bothers me.

Yes, I am a white male, but that isn't any identity that I chose. It was an accident of birth. Why should I have to apologize for what other white people did over a century and a half ago? My family wasn't even in this country until the 1920s and they certainly were never in a position of power over any minorities. I don't share in the guilt, and I don't buy into the need to rub peoples noses in shit every year.

None of this is really coming from a good place. This is mostly a reaction against calls for integration and cultural homogenization. "Why should I have to act white to succeed?" is what this is really about. Why am I policed differently? Why am I told to change my clothing or my hairstyle when I go to work? Why am I criticized for how I speak? Why am I made fun of for the way my mom spelled my name? Why am I asked by certain sheltered white people to represent all black people? I understand the issue, but I don't think they do. They're not being asked to "be white", they're being asked to conform to existing middle class values if they want to be seen as equal members of the class. This doesn't just apply to black people, it applies to white people as well. Middle class white people judge the fuck out of poor white people. So, in order to change class, they're being asked to give up their cultural identity, and they resent it. If they do buy in, they get called Uncle Tom's. If they don't buy in, they face discrimination. Being an educated black person right now is honestly a shit place to be. There's no winning.

So, honestly, what I hope I am seeing are really the last gasps before we do end up with a unified society. I think the black nationalists will eventually lose their battle to keep their own people on the reservation, and we will see more integration of educated black people more fully into the middle class. The one weapon the black nationalists and their white enablers have is endlessly reminding their own people of the history of racism, and seeing racism everywhere in modern society, and they wield it as a club over and over and over and over. Don't trust whitey, keep being black, don't lose your roots, don't lose your history. Why? How is that a positive way to live life? Why keep looking backwards and dwelling on negativity? I think with prosperity and hope, people will begin turning away from it and maybe look towards a future together instead of apart.
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

uziq wrote:

it's quite poetic. a shotgun microphone is a weapon ... FOR JOURNALISTS IN SEARCH OF THE TRUTH!
Also to head off Jay and maybe Hollis, civilians leveling firearms at protesters armed with tablets and recording equipment is probably a more significant issue than protesters barging into a gated community where (iirc) the governor's mansion is to make a point.

Elsewhere, it's also funny seeing conservative press differentiate between armed protesters (bad) and open carry demonstration (good).

Also:

https://i.imgur.com/QSZJhlL.jpeg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

uziq wrote:

Also to head off Jay and maybe Hollis, civilians leveling firearms at protesters armed with tablets and recording equipment is probably a more significant issue than protesters barging into a gated community where (iirc) the governor's mansion is to make a point.

Elsewhere, it's also funny seeing conservative press differentiate between armed protesters (bad) and open carry demonstration (good).
You wouldn't be worried if a few hundred people suddenly showed up in your quiet neighborhood out of the blue? They overreacted, obviously, but I can understand why they would be scared.
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

If I was worried about the danger from people walking down the street/sidewalk with cell phones, I certainly wouldn't confrontationally wade out into the middle of it with a handgun. How stupid can you get.

It's not a movie.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Look at their house. They can probably flip a switch and activate Scarface-brand armored shutters.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Look at their house. They can probably flip a switch and activate Scarface-brand armored shutters.
Apparently they called the cops and their development security first and were told they were on their own.
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

What a prime opportunity to leave your house for a 2-on-however-many showdown. Retarded behavior.

If they were really that afraid, they'd have stayed inside. But no, they wanted to go out and threaten some people.

To say nothing of people trying to claim that a microphone was a weapon. "Haha, 'peaceful protesters!' Hyuk-hyuk." How many inboxes has this landed in?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3711
They overreacted. I watched a lot of the riots and the rioters never went for people's homes. They should have stayed in their house.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard