uziq
+492|3444

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Larssen wasn't here to witness the real combat veterans of bf2s reject Jay's service record.
You guys understand that I bring it up because it clearly strikes a nerve with the lot of you, right? It's something you can never really defend against because none of you ever lifted a finger on behalf of the greater good, even though you all talk about it ceaselessly, and are so very willing to spend other peoples hard earned money to assuage your own guilt.
you have taken MORE of people's HARD EARNED MONEY than any of us, you dipshit.

you are the one who has been reared on school charity, trained by the state, paid by the state, invested in with immense amounts of state largesse.

we rip the piss out of you because you are a moronic hypocrite, who wishes to deny everyone else the same public weal. none of us have a problem with the state employing people or redistributing wealth with workfare schemes. you keep styling yourself as a perfect example of self-reliance and a 'self-made man' when you are the least self-made person on this entire forum. we all paid for our own educations and found jobs in the private sector in an open and competitive marketplace of employment; YOU are the fucking opposite!

no one cares about your military service. it is the definition of unexceptional.

Last edited by uziq (2020-06-17 04:12:51)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5350|London, England

uziq wrote:

that's what i keep saying. all the people who actually did do soldier's work and have guns pointed at them ripped the piss out of jay relentlessly. now he keeps telling us that's just 'the way veterans are together' but we all know they didn't respect him diddly squat. now he's all arch-conservative, libertarian bootlicker talking about 'doing service' and 'sacrificing youth for my country'. fucking puh-leeeeeez.
I really have no idea what you two are talking about. I got into it with eleven bravo, sure, but he's a whiny bitch, so... so what? Who else was there? FEOS? He was in the air force. He can't make fun of anyone. You guys really do make up narratives in your own heads.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Larssen wasn't here to witness the real combat veterans of bf2s reject Jay's service record.
You guys understand that I bring it up because it clearly strikes a nerve with the lot of you, right? It's something you can never really defend against because none of you ever lifted a finger on behalf of the greater good, even though you all talk about it ceaselessly, and are so very willing to spend other peoples hard earned money to assuage your own guilt.
you have taken MORE of people's HARD EARNED MONEY than any of us, you dipshit.

you are the one who has been reared on school charity, trained by the state, paid by the state, invested in with immense amounts of state largesse.

we rip the piss out of you because you are a moronic hypocrite, who wishes to deny everyone else the same public weal. none of us have a problem with the state employing people or redistributing wealth with workfare schemes. you keep styling yourself as a perfect example of self-reliance and a 'self-made man' when you are the least self-made person on this entire forum. we all paid for our own educations and found jobs in the private sector in an open and competitive marketplace of employment; YOU are the fucking opposite!

no one cares about your military service. it is the definition of unexceptional.
uziq, your family made money from exploiting musicians. you got a scholarship to school. Guess what? So did i. I served my country to pay for college. You did fuckall for anyone, but you claim you went on scholarship. Who paid for that? If anyone is a charity case, it's you. You've never done anything for anyone but yourself. You are a selfish piece of shit that likes to put on airs about the suffering of people in the world and goes on and on about income inequality. You're just a jealous piece of shit who is never going to amount to anything in this world. You could literally die today and no one would notice. No one. I will pay more in taxes this year than you likely have in the past decade, combined. So please let me know who is the net beneficiary here. You? Who has contributed, and will contribute nothing, for the foreseeable future? Or literally anyone else. You're a fucking joke. You are an inconsequential, third rate hack living in an insignificant border city that no one gives a fuck about. Keep going on and on about your Sennheiser headphones and your education from ten years ago. No one cares. No one likes you. You will die alone, and lonely, and you will have accomplished nothing.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3444
jay, for the umpteenth time, my family have no money from joe meek. he died in the 1960s. he died destitute. his royalties were tied up in a legal battle. all of this is literally viewable on his wikipedia; it is common and public record ffs. and, no, music producers did not 'exploit' musicians. he wrote and produced all of the music himself. the bands were brought in as 'session musicians' and as pretty-boy touring acts. that's how the music business worked back then. lots of famous record producers are recognized for this creative contribution, like phil spector or george martin. it is not an 'exploitation' scenario. you are clueless.

i earned a scholarship for my master's. they were given out based on academic promise. that's how most academic scholarships work, jay: merit. i graduated top of my undergraduate class and got a free ride for my postgraduate. i could get a scholarship for my PhD, too, if i wanted to take one up. it's not 'charity'. that's literally how academia works; it's called early-career investment. you would have to be insane to take a postgraduate PhD without a scholarship. once again, you are clueless.

as for the rest, booooo hoooo hooo hooo. you're a huge hypocrite and a moral vacuum.

Last edited by uziq (2020-06-17 04:36:44)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712

uziq wrote:

joe meek. he died in the 1960s. he died destitute. his royalties were tied up in a legal battle. all of this is literally viewable on his wikipedia; it is common and public record ffs.
I couldn't care less about your family history but Joe Meek's wikipedia article is a wild ride.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3444
yes it's a great dinner party anecdote. it has never been worth anything more than that in my life. the idea that i'm sitting on a fortune from a record producer who was a bankrupt in 1960 is really funny. that's not how estates or inheritance or even royalties/music rights work. i'm pretty sure things go out of copyright entirely in the UK after the artist has been dead for so long. in any case, i haven't seen a penny from that.

i should add that my scholarship was from the private university endowment, by the way, not taxpayer money. and he's missing the pretty big point here, which is that neither i nor any of the rest of us are vociferously against public spending. i am not the one spouting off that all state spending is bad. i am happy for tax money to be invested in education and scholarships. jay literally took government help throughout his entire life and now spends his time styling himself as a libertarian who wishes to shut down all government help. it's unbelievable. he's literally bragging in his post about how much money he makes nowadays (lol) after the fucking state set him up in life. that level of hypocrisy is a marvel to behold. i have never once expressed any political opinion that directly contradicts my own experience.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

none of you ever lifted a finger on behalf of the greater good
Nor did you, you signed up for free college and were unlucky enough to be deployed when you'd really expected you wouldn't be.

We wouldn't be making an issue of it if you weren't now playing the selfless war-hero who signed in blood for god and country.

FEOS was at least self-aware.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712
That's not good. Aunt Jemima pancake mix and syrup is the one I buy.
https://i.imgur.com/IhhqMwz.png
Is Uncle Ben and Mrs. Buttersworth next too?
https://www.kroger.com/product/images/xlarge/front/0064420979129
Larssen
+99|1880
So far I've dedicated a pretty significant portion of my life to public service. But I suppose policy wonks are exempt because they're of the snobby and well paid type, oh well

Also PhDs this day and age are awful. I believe publishing is probably a better deal.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-06-17 04:59:42)

uziq
+492|3444
i've spent my 20s producing non-fiction and history books and now scientific research. i do nothing for the public good.

i opted out of a PhD immediately after my master's because of family matters. and, yes, the employment rate for PhD'd post-docs is about 11% in the humanities (and not much better in the sciences). not a great 3-year investment. setting myself up in an adjacent respectable career that uses similar skills was a better option for me at that point in my life.

in any case, a 'scholarship' in university is not the same as being the kid at a private school who has his fees waived. university scholarships are semi-professional, semi-career investments, made by the universities in prospective future researchers.

jay's college scholarship was a scheme set up by the benevolent government to educate its largely uneducated grunts. it was a charitable and well-meaning piece of public legislation to get GIs into good, stable, civilian careers. and, good for any military vet who has made use of it! it sounds like a great scheme. what a shame that ones like jay want to use it and then axe it because it flatters their Randian fantasies of being 'super-men'.

Last edited by uziq (2020-06-17 05:03:22)

Larssen
+99|1880
I've always found it remarkable how fast people go through higher education in the UK and US, with most people finishing a phd in their mid to late 20s. I'm used to environments where undergrad & postgrad take most people about 5 or 6 years and where PhDs are another ~6 years of effort. Finding someone who finished up undergrad/post & phd well before 30 is both exceptional and a little concerning to most.

Maybe you're doing something right because at the end of the day the accreditation is the same, or there's significant differences beneath the surface in the education/educational culture.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-06-17 05:35:47)

uziq
+492|3444
grad school in the US can take up to 9-10 years. i did look at yale (my english department were twinned with them) and stanford, which was a fanciful idea. average time to completion of a PhD at stanford is 9 years. that's an awful long fucking time to be working on one piece of research. there are a lot of ABDs in america, people who just never complete.

i don't like the american system of having to contribute to your stipend through regular teaching of undergraduates. pre-doctoral PhDs should not be doing donkey work in a department, especially essay-marking and whatnot. it's a huge drain and not very efficient. the UK is really not that similar to their system so i would caution too much comparison.

getting a PhD early isn't that rare. not having any work experience is a weakness that speaks for itself -- unless you're obviously destined for a life in the academic cloister and nothing else. europe has habilitations and suchlike for 'after PhD' too, doesn't it?
Larssen
+99|1880
In germany/belgium/netherlands the systems are broadly comparable I think. PhD's do usually have 'donkey work' assigned to them as part of the program, being required to teach certain courses alongside their own research - which is part of the reason why it takes long. In germany and the netherlands there also seems to be a little more 'leisurely' pace in education, as it's not uncommon to take a year off here and there. In the humanities it's also smart to spend some time interning, else you won't be competitive. Back when I graduated my masters I had spent nearly a year and a half in total as a full time intern.

Student burnout may also be more common? I dunno but there's quite a few who never end up finishing or taking much longer. In theory most programs are 3 or 4 years for your undergrad and 1 or 2 for masters, but in practice a significant portion of students don't finish it all in one go. A number of people in my year also failed to finish their postgrad thesis (I myself also took 2 months longer on the damn thing than was outlined in the program).

It's been a while now and I believe the average graduating age has dropped some but not by too much.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-06-17 05:44:41)

uziq
+492|3444
makes sense. yes, student burn-out is very common. grad school has the highest rates of workplace depression, i think. a lot of people doing very isolated work, in very intense competition with their peers, living on very meagre stipends. it's not quite the romantic 'ivory tower'.

that said, i do want to do one. i consider it one of those setbacks in my life that i haven't thus far. i really don't care about it not paying off or paying very well or whatever. i would have chosen a very different career at 21/22 if i was money-oriented.

Last edited by uziq (2020-06-17 05:46:10)

Larssen
+99|1880
I have met a number of people in the private sector and also public service who were part time PhD students. One of them was over 50. Most either had 1 or 2 days a week dedicated to that pursuit. Perhaps you can find some arrangement with your employer.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

re: public service

It's such a weird place to dig in at:

"Let me know what public service you've done so that we can be on equal footing. Let me know how many years you gave up of your youth."

Zero veterans I know talked like that until Jay. Tons of civvies have that kind of awkward bootlicking approach to the military, though.

Our youth need to...sacrifice their youth in the military so they can have..."public service" credentials...to be credible/"on equal footing" in a political argument? What kind of proto, dystopian Starship Troopers crap is that.

mentalcalculus.gif
Larssen
+99|1880

uziq wrote:

i would have chosen a very different career at 21/22 if i was money-oriented.
The people who did are now making powerpoints for a living at mckinsey. Or working at law firms helping companies offshore their taxes.

But yeah 21 ... I turned 26 when I finished my postgrad.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-06-17 05:56:04)

uziq
+492|3444

Larssen wrote:

uziq wrote:

i would have chosen a very different career at 21/22 if i was money-oriented.
The people who did are now making powerpoints for a living at mckinsey. Or working at law firms helping companies offshore their taxes.
mileage may vary. i have friends who joined prestigious/competitive advertising agencies or publicity firms using their english degrees at 21, making mega-bucks. they had a great time in their 20s, living in london and doing everything one would want to do at that age. a few of them have quit and are now retraining as social workers, psychiatrists, etc. or even opening their own businesses selling some passion project.

you do have to be really, really money and success oriented to keep at those careers. a few of my friends are still happily inside it though, and their lives, so far as i can see, are good. very nice houses/apartments, fine furnishings, expensive clothes, regular michelin-starred dining, etc. all the usual accoutrements you expect of people in 'high-flying' careers. you do have to be 'bought in' to the game, though, and to see some intrinsic value or desirability in those things. i couldn't spend 50-60 hours a week coming up with ad campaign copy. the fancy restaurants and BMWs just do not motivate me enough.

i'm cool with anyone's life choices. i hope that's clear. it's hypocrisy like jay's that makes me laugh. i don't think engineers or whatever are 'greater' or 'lesser' than anyone else. it's when people adopt toxic ideologies and harsh, mean-spirited political views that i snag on. a lack of charity or common sympathy is common to a lot of people like jay. it's just really curious that they've received a lot of charity, too. society has been good to jay and yet he wants to burn it to the ground and ridicule other people who believe in it. it's a strange set of 'ideals' and 'things he believes in', which really are no-things, just a bunch of arid ideas from poorly written books.
uziq
+492|3444
anywhey

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ … n-lockdown

police in england and wales six times more likely to fine BAME people in lockdown.

Data from police forces shows 17 were more likely to issue a penalty notice to BAME people than to white people. Two forces, Northumbria and Merseyside, were not.

One senior chief constable said bias and lack of trust from certain communities may have played a role, as well as demographics.

Officers had discretion on when to issue fines, and police said they followed an approach of trying to avoid enforcement, known as the four Es – engaging, explaining and encouraging, before considering enforcement.

Figures obtained by Liberty Investigates, part of the civil liberties group Liberty, and the Guardian, give a force-by-force breakdown. The figures are yet to be officially released and had been requested by the home affairs committee investigation into race and policing, which met on Wednesday.

The mainly rural Cumbria force was 6.8 times more likely to fine someone who was a BAME background than a white person. In Lincolnshire, and Avon and Somerset, which includes Bristol, people from a BAME background were 4.4 times more likely to be fined by police.
but remember, they are only out to protest for their own benefit, etc etc.
uziq
+492|3444

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

re: public service

It's such a weird place to dig in at:

"Let me know what public service you've done so that we can be on equal footing. Let me know how many years you gave up of your youth."

Zero veterans I know talked like that until Jay. Tons of civvies have that kind of awkward bootlicking approach to the military, though.

Our youth need to...sacrifice their youth in the military so they can have..."public service" credentials...to be credible/"on equal footing" in a political argument? What kind of proto, dystopian Starship Troopers crap is that.

mentalcalculus.gif
how many innocent people were killed or displaced by the iraq/afghan wars? for what purpose, again, exactly? it sure as hell had nothing to do with defense of america or the american people. saddam hussein and the taliban didn't do 9/11. that was america's own allies, the saudis and the CIA-funded bin ladens.

very strange form of 'public service'. causing global humanitarian catastrophes and leaving a country in a state of twisted rebar and IED craters.

i'm fine over here helping to disseminate learning and research for the betterment of the humanities, science, and medicine, thank you very much. not a single crying orphan or maimed child involved.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX
Not forgetting the depleted uranium, a gift which keeps on giving.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712
The military is full of secret gays. Did you notice they had to pass a law in the 90's because there were too many gays in the military? What other profession needed laws to manage their stockpile of gays? Anyone who would join the military for some other reason than the money is probably a secret gay. Who looks forward to going to a boys only camp for 4 months?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

The military is full of secret gays. Did you notice they had to pass a law in the 90's because there were too many gays in the military? What other profession needed laws to manage their stockpile of gays? Anyone who would join the military for some other reason than the money is probably a secret gay. Who looks forward to going to a boys only camp for 4 months?
I know man! My roommate turned out to be gay! Who knew!? Crazy! He was in the navy first, so I should've suspected...
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I know man! My roommate turned out to be gay! Who knew!? Crazy! He was in the navy first, so I should've suspected...
You should have asked your CO for a code red.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I didn't find out until last year via Facebook. I was so injured by his past behavior that I immediately congratulated him and called him to comment on how happy he looks with his fiance.
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard